Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

berenzen posted:

Twice? Bizzaro and Stranger Sephiroth are the only two times he ever beat the real Sephiroth.

Note that this is the end of the game. That's another funny thing about FF7, for all Cloud talks up Sephiroth and especially for all the EU treats them as ~honourable rivals~, Sephiroth rarely to never considers the party a threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
There's something about the way Sephiroth stands when the simulation fades out. Like he doesn't know what the gently caress just happened, how'd a fun spar turn into this mess? :smith:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

berenzen posted:

Twice? Bizzaro and Stranger Sephiroth are the only two times he ever beat the real Sephiroth.

Even counting Bizarro and Safer as one instance, Cloud's beaten Sephiroth twice in VII.

And doesn't Advent Children count? It's not Sephiroth's original body, but it seems to be the real him fighting Cloud.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
This is a great LP so far. This is my favourite psp game. I really wish they would just release it on the psn store so i can play it on the big screen.
Was it just me or did everyone also try to do every side mission as soon as possible? Some of then are really loving hard during the 1st few chapters.
The story is really wel written. Sephiroth is actually a chill dude. Hojo is being Hojo.
I believe that Sephiroth can't get over that cloud stabbed him in nibelheim. Every other fight they have had since then is him just loving with cloud till it goes wrong.
I find it fascinating how an entire (good) game was made, based on the backstory of cloud's bustersword.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Cloud doesn't fight Sephiroth after Nibelheim until the end of the game. Every time you encounter "Sephiroth" in the main game, it's just Jenova taking Sephiroth's form.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

AlphaKretin posted:

Note that this is the end of the game. That's another funny thing about FF7, for all Cloud talks up Sephiroth and especially for all the EU treats them as ~honourable rivals~, Sephiroth rarely to never considers the party a threat.

Because Cloud wasn't; hell, Cloud could barely stop himself from killing someone he loved when Sephiroth/Jenova tried to force him, and he outright failed to keep the mcguffin out of Sephiroth's hands despite *knowing* he couldn't control himself, and telling the rest of the party not to trust him. Of course, the power of love hoist Sephiroth/Jenova by their own petard in the end; in fairness though, fighting an entire planet must be pretty drat hard.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Can someone confirm/deny the Internet Fact that up until just before release, "Cloud" was actually Vincent in Kingdom Hearts, but they swapped at the last minute to draw more sales and Cloud has been loaded with all of Vincent's moody gloomy baggage ever since as a result?

Basically. It was supposed to be Vincent, but a/mutliple Big Muckety-Mucks nixed it, so it became Cloud instead. I don't think it was for a sales boost, though. Just someone(s) didn't like Vinnie.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kheldarn posted:

Just someone(s) didn't like Vinnie.

A fair and good opinion.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Cloud doesn't fight Sephiroth after Nibelheim until the end of the game. Every time you encounter "Sephiroth" in the main game, it's just Jenova taking Sephiroth's form.

You never even fight fake-Sephiroth anyway. I think people are talking about the Nibelheim flashback where grunt Cloud manages to throw him off the ledge, and the final boss. That's two times.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
It's so touching how Angeal's buster sword is more important to him than almost anything, after his father worked himself to death to bequeath it to his son. I hope the buster sword will be treated with the respect it deserves for generations to come.

:doh:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

AlphaKretin posted:

Most people don't ever make the connection that you're never really chasing actually Sephiroth though, either through the confusion of the plot or bad advertising on Square's part. It's why despite it being Jenova you're actually chasing and regularly getting clowned by across the whole game, people still associate it as Sephiroth and treat it as such.

Which is totally bullshit when you consider things like the way he acts in Dissidia and KH vs how he's being presented here. Sephiroth is basically the biggest underachiever of villainy in the last twenty years, because he himself got shut down almost as soon as he got started and it's just been a really great PR campaign ever since.

...Also, I now seem to have fully disassociated Real!Sephiroth and Villain!Sephiroth in my own head as I was writing this post. Funny how that works.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

It's so touching how Angeal's buster sword is more important to him than almost anything, after his father worked himself to death to bequeath it to his son. I hope the buster sword will be treated with the respect it deserves for generations to come.

:doh:

I sincerely hope that that whole plot point about the Buster sword's backstory was done intentionally as some kind of joke about how Cloud abused it and then just shoved it in the dirt outside of Midgar to rust away as a gravemarker for Zack. That probably doesn't need a spoiler tag, but better safe than sorry.

Really, a lot of Crisis Core feels like it's pisstaking a lot of the goofier and melodramatic and just plain Nomura-brand stupid elements of the rest of the FFVII clusterfuck.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I sincerely hope that that whole plot point about the Buster sword's backstory was done intentionally as some kind of joke about how Cloud abused it and then just shoved it in the dirt outside of Midgar to rust away as a gravemarker for Zack.

If it's any consolation, he later polished it and moved it to Aerith's church.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Makes you wonder, given what we see here in CC, how Sephiroth mentally responded to seeing the sword of Angeal, one of the very few people he could call friend, raised against him by this nobody called Cloud.

Although I may be mis-remembering some things from FF7. Have to go over Elentor's LP again to check stuff.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

berryjon posted:

Makes you wonder, given what we see here in CC, how Sephiroth mentally responded to seeing the sword of Angeal, one of the very few people he could call friend, raised against him by this nobody called Cloud.

Although I may be mis-remembering some things from FF7. Have to go over Elentor's LP again to check stuff.

Sephiroth, the person, functionally died in the basement at Shinra Manor, by the time Cloud picks up the Buster Sword to wield it against him, he was so far off the deep end it probably didn't even register to him. Also, Cloud kills Sephiroth in the reactor. The thing that's seen over the course of FFVII was Jenova trotting around his otherwise lifeless corpse like meat puppet, Weekend At Bernie's 2-style

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Sephiroth, the person, functionally died in the basement at Shinra Manor, by the time Cloud picks up the Buster Sword to wield it against him, he was so far off the deep end it probably didn't even register to him. Also, Cloud kills Sephiroth in the reactor. The thing that's seen over the course of FFVII was Jenova trotting around his otherwise lifeless corpse like meat puppet, Weekend At Bernie's 2-style

Not really, though- the "real" Sephiroth got tossed by Cloud into the lifestream, where he ended up in a kinda crystaline mako cocoon in the northern crater. He stays there pretty much the whole game. The Sephiroth that you're chasing all game is the shape-shifting Jenova that escaped from the Shinra building during Cloud & co's assault at the end of the Midgar section.

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015
Had a day off this week so slightly early update!

Chapter 11: Back Then You Could Get By With Just Skinned Knees

For those playing that home edition of our game we were hanging out in Mako Reactor 5 when we were unceremoniously blown up by Angeal. Way to be a best friend.

Click to Watch

Mom? I...I want to help out a friend. But, I don’t know how I can do it...

???: Hell-llooo!

Mom?

Do you know who ELSE got the ground blown up beneath him in the Sector 5 Mako Reactor? That’s right. Hitler

Or. You know. That Cloud guy we haven’t met yet. Yeah, so thanks to Crisis Core Cloud is not the first person to fall through the roof of the church to be found by Aeris. This raises...a lot of questions about Aeris’ relationship with Cloud.

She’s a little weird with him and she clearly dances around the exact question of him knowing Zack. But not “You know, I met my last boyfriend when he ALSO fell through my ceiling. ALSO WHY THE gently caress DO YOU HAVE HIS SWORD” weird.

The whole start is straight out of Cloud’s bit here, though less talking to himself inside his head.

Hooray!

I was not joking when I said Zack would flirt with just about anything female and on two legs. Barely awake and already in gear.

Not quite.

Music: A Flower Blooming in the Slums (from FFVII ''Aerith's Theme'')

Straight in.

And sooo for the sake of consistency this will be the last time I type Aeris if I don’t gently caress up. Yes we all grew up with the other spelling/pronunciation, but it’s Aerith now and them’s the brakes.

you fell from the sky. Scared me.

Aerith is...a bit slow right now. She’s better later, but most of this update she speaks in simple sentences and states the obvious.

So you saved me, huh?

“Hell-llooo!” That’s all I did.

*laughs*

Thank you so much, Aerith. I’m Zack.

Don’t worry about it.

No, no! Hmm…

Hey, how about one date.

So yeah, Aeris flipped that one on its head to repay Cloud for helping her escape the Turks. We have firmly re-entered slavishly latching onto old plot beats territory again. Man, we went several chapters without it!

Shot down!

Zack can never get any luck.

Excuse me?

Well...I guess i’m not normal. You don’t see a lot of flowers in Midgar. They’re like luxury items around here.

They only grow here.

If I were you, I’d sell them.

Midgar, full of flowers...wallet, full of money…

The delivery on this line makes it sound like the heaviest thought she has ever encountered in her life. I really don’t know what is up with their voice direction for her. I know it’s five years until we get the Aerith that is the most competent and sane person in the party, but she always struck me as being a very adult/reliable person even as a kid.

And before you start getting too concerned about child predator Zack, she’s a bit over 16 and he’s 16-17 depending on when his birthday is. Because of course he is. :japan: Shinra don’t give no shits about Child soldiers. He’s also potentially a 4 year veteran because he left his home to join Shinra 4 years before Crisis Core. Ultimania! :argh:

Never thought of it that way…

Down to missing just one of the main Limit Breaks now!

-End Video-

Aerith conveniently has a safe point in her church so I take advantage of this to run a few missions.

Click to Watch Memory+Healing Wave Limit

Funny enough I manage to get the first Aerith limit break before I get a Cissnei limit and a memory to boot!

No, that’s okay. Besides, I’m the only one the flowers want to be tended by.

Really…

Although this is clearly all a hallucination of Zack’s concussion riddled mind because we literally just met her and have never had this conversation.

Also a level up. Thanks! Although the close eyed among you may note she didn’t actually have the ribbon yet in the previous scene. Spoilers game!

Good luck!

Thanks!

Healing Wave is loving boss. It gives you 100% healing on HP, MP, and AP and can break your normal cap up to 200%. ON TOP of that you get something like 3-20 seconds of Invincibility depending on what level you rolled. It’s basically her ultimate limit from 7, Great Gospel.

-End Video-

Not to be shown up Cissnei decides to finally show her head on the DMW

Click to Watch Lucky Stars Limit

You can do it Zack.

Yeah! I’m on fire now!

As mentioned previously, Lucky Stars is ALSO great. It improves our Limit Level making us more likely to get limits and gives a temporary 100% critical buff.

Also in some random rear end mission I get this! Now when we do Materia fusion we can shove in items to boost the output.

So there is the base fusion, a little bit better than what we started with but nothing to write home about.

But for each Fat Chocobo Feather we shove in we get 10% more HP! We can also shove healing items in that slot as well. 20 potions gives us 10% HP boost as well. Basically there are special items for each stat, but consumables will also fit the bill but much less efficiently. When we are rolling in the Gil to the tune of the Gold Saucer’s net profit we can usually just buy our way to higher stats.

I also fight another Guard Spider! This gives us a Keychain which gives us one more accessory slot. There is also a Backpack for a fourth slot but that one is a few fights deep and this fight was already technically Very Hard. It’s just that Guard Spider is a scrub when you block right. Also a fourth accessory slot this early is frankly kind of game breaking. Even the third is.

Ok, back to progressing the plot!

...That door over there. Going already?

Yeah, I should get going. All right. Thanks again, Aerith.

Yeah…

Oh god. They are awkward teens that don’t know how to say goodbye.

Yeah.

Hmm, I’m not really sure…

...Where?

A fine point. Since WE didn’t say we don’t know where we are, but we don’t know where we are going. PS: The last Zack was seen by anyone in Shinra he was chasing down Hollander and then he is MIA in the literal military sense of the term. There is a hole in the floor and a bunch of feathers around and no other sign of him. He will not help clarify this situation on his own because Zack is a terrible employee.

;-*

Yeah.

Zack has never actually successfully flirted with a lady before. He now has no idea what to do.

And with that we are going...somewhere.

Yeah.

It’s easy to forget just how massive Midgar really is. There are literally multiple towns underneath the(very structurally unsound looking) plate.

There’s lots of people, and you can go above the plate from there, too. So I’ll walk you over there.

If I can get out onto the streets, I guess I can figure things out from there. Okay, lead the way.

Music: Town Where the Sunlight Doesn't Reach

Well, someone at least doesn’t think we are dead. Also this area mainly involves me running in circles while Aerith slowly walks towards the exit/scene trigger.

Ah! Here we go.

Zack, let’s run!

You can?

Just stand back, so you don’t get hurt.

So yeah we get to fight two Hedgehog Pies. These guys are STILL hanging out in this area five years from now when Cloud makes a visit through. If anything they are worse because they are in the Church rafters as well.

Basically they kind of flop at you and occasionally can shoot fire. Mainly they just die.

Is that right?

Yeah. You can beat up monsters. You’re so strong.

Strong huh…

No.

Liar, liar pants on fire!

It’s nothing. Anyway, those things weren’t tough at all!

Zack really loves this pose this update.

Hmm…

“Hmm”?

:iceburn: Thanks, Aerith. I thought you were being a little too easy going on Zack here.

Aerith, in these type of situations, you should be more…

Hey, Zack. Let’s go, okay?

Haha. Ok, you are making up for your slow start, Aerith. You may actually just be a master troll.

Woman: Those who hate Shinra, and those who idolize Shinra. I’m the latter. Some day, I’m gonna get me a Shinra executive so I can live the good life.

Well, keep on dreaming big, lady.

Yeah.

Hmm…

What is it?

Of course. Many people have lived here for a long time. Inside the gate there, there’s a marketplace. It’s fun because there are so many stores. You can go above the plate from there, too.

Someone finally had the heart to tell the Angeal fan club that Angeal is “dead.” Zack should just start e-mailing them “He’s alive! I swear! And he tried to kill me!” Then get kicked from the club.

Really? It’s always like this, though.

I know what it is!

Wouldn’t you normally miss seeing the sky if you lived under a plate all year round?

you want to talk about it?

The sky frightens me. I feel like it’s sucking me in…

Turn left, Zack! Showing the crazy on the first date. Actually just her Ancient powers kicking in when she’s outside. Somewhere in FF7 but not in the location I thought it was she talks about the outside being worse in a flashback to her being a kid maybe? In Midgar proper she still has ties to the Lifestream but it isn’t as pronounced.

None of this information helps Zack however since he has no idea right now!

Weird, huh?

“I’m 17 and I’ve never had a girlfriend! I can’t say no to this! So what if she’s a little crazy, she’s cute!”

Think...so?

I have an idea!

Zack, you aren’t a therapist or psychologist. This is a terrible idea.

It’s not frightening at all. I know you’re gonna love it.

Aerith just kind of nods to that.

And finally we have made it to the Sector 5 Market. Home of legendary “This guy are sick” man. Though we can’t check out his pipe. We actually are way more limited this go round. By nature of how shops work this game we can’t actually SHOP at any of these places. We also can’t go inside the center building tearing down the Turtles flyer and create a time paradox.

Looks like an interesting place.

Maybe I should take a look around?

And then some young whippersnapper bumps into us. Starting a long series of children screwing with Zack.

Hm? Oh, sorry…

Hey, Zack? You didn’t just...lose something, did you? Like any of your belongings?

Did I lose something? I don’t think so. Huh?

My wallet!

Yep. Soldier First Class Zack Fair: Mugged by a 10 year old kid. Well, Stolen from since Zack didn’t take any damage.

Was it that kid? I’m gonna hunt him down!

Zack, wait. I’m sorry, but I know that boy.

You know him?

There has to be some reason. He would usually never do something like this.

Whatever the reason, stealing is wrong. I’m gonna find him, and..

Zack, you murder people for a living in the name of a company. You aren’t exactly on the firmest moral high ground here.

Let’s ask him why he did it. I’ll bring him here.

And so starts one of the dumbest side quests in this entire game. This whole section is kind of a brick wall of interest. First we need to talk to(And get ruthlessly trolled by) basically everyone in this room. Then we have a series of mini-games. If it wouldn’t cause an update of nothing but dumb poo poo and mini-games(also dumb poo poo) I’d put this off til next time!

She’s gone...I’ll have to look for him, too!

Lazard knows where we are. He is still passively aggressively sending these out to chide Zack about his unprofessionalism.

Oh, god. What did I sign up for. Maybe I can ALSO tell them that Genesis is alive and trying to kill me. See how many groups I can get thrown out of in one day.

So step one is to check the back exit to above the plate.

Did you see a kid come running this way?

Man: A kid? Can’t say that I have. This path leads leads above the plate. Children would never come this way.

drat…

Man: Looking for someone?

Yeah.

Man: And you lost him.

Yeah!

Man: Was your wallet stolen or something?

He’s in on it. They’re all in on it! The whole sector is against you!

Man: If you want to catch someone here, you’ll need some assistance.

Assistance?

Man: Can’t find anyone alone in this place. You should ask people on the streets for help.

People on the streets, huh? Yeah, maybe I should ask around. I’m sure I can find him faster that way.

Clerk: Welcome! Looking for a gift for your girlfriend?

Uh, no. I’m not here to shop.

Clerk: Oh, you’re not a customer…

I’m looking for a kid who stole my wallet. Can you help me catch him?

Clerk: Yeah. I can keep an eye out.

Thanks! Well, I’m gonna have a look around the area. If you see the kid catch him for me!

That’s the kid! Get him for me!

Clerk: Whoa, whoa… A slippery little one, he is…
:jerkbag: Seriously. gently caress this guy, and by extension everyone but Aerith in this room.

What’re you doing!? Ugh.

Yeah, right! You didn’t even try to chase him at all!

Clerk: Well, I wouldn’t say I wasn’t trying…

Oh, Aerith! Did you find the kid?

Not yet, but we’ll find him soon, I promise.

Ok, so I am not going to show all the detail here on out. Summary: We talk to a person, they say they will help, somehow they scam us or screw us over for being Shinra outsiders. Aeris walks up and says she didn’t find him and isn’t sure if she can do it on her own.

The materia store owner says the kid stole all his prized materia and was too fast after he equipped it.

The item shop owner tells us to go the wrong direction, blames “poor sight”.

Is possibly the best part to come out this section. You got it, Zack.

This kid will ask for a potion for information. Bad information. He just yells “He’s right behind you!” When no one is there. We do this five times before telling him to gently caress off. (Yes, we want to do this all five times)

This girl says she’ll go find him for us. We have to choose on a menu to wait 10 times(yes we also want to do this the full quantity). It turns out she was just talking to him then blames us when he runs away when she’s called out on it.

And now back to your regularly scheduled coverage.

Zack…

Looks like you’ve had no luck, either.

I’m sorry. But there has to be a good reason.

Well, if he’s gonna use the money, he would still be inside the city, right?

Zack, the city is a big place.

Yes, I’m sure he is.

Then help me find him, Aerith.

Yeah...but if you do catch him, you have to hear his story out.

All right, all right… I’ll ask him why he did it.

I think we are to assume that Aerith was ALSO loving with us until Zack would calm down and agree to hear the kid out. Zack may be hot and strong but he ain’t no local boy. Although with how mad I’d be if I was Zack right now a poor plan on her part.

Okay, I guess Aerith can stay around here, and I’ll make another round of the streets.

Aerith! He’s running towards you!

Hey, you. No more running.

We got him!

Stealing from people is a--

Zack…

Zack is in “WHY CAN’T I JUST KILL THE CHILD” mode.

Boy: It’s none of your business.

When you stole my wallet, you made it my business!

This is what happens when someone tells you “usually never” it means they are really not sure, and probably wrong.

Are you in some kind of trouble?

Boy:

If you’re in trouble, just say so. Now you’ve got Aerith all worried.

Boy: But I have to buy medicine, and get home quickly.

We want to go with option two here because Reasons. For how this chunk goes it doesn’t matter, we are fighting some dumb monsters. But for something else it counts.

Boy: R-really?

Zack, are you sure…?

He’s got a lady to impress and flush with that Shinra mon--. You know, we’ve never actually gotten paid. All our money is from beating up monsters and rifling through their corpses. Unless there is a bounty on them that makes gil magically appear in our wallet? Either way, of course he’s sure.

If you’re forced to steal from people, then it really must be an emergency.

Boy: Thanks...wait!

For real. I’m not sure how much Zack was carrying but it was north of 15,000 gil. That’s drat near a down payment on a Costa Del Sol mansion. Where is a family in the slums getting this kind of dosh for medicine?

Um...yeah, well, I guess we’d better get your wallet back from that monster, then!

But it’s dangerous.

No worries! Monsters in this area are no match for me! Besides, if I don’t do this, he’s gonna have to steal again, right?

Then I’ll help, too.

Superman pose count this update: 3

You can stay here and keep that kid out of trouble.

Boy: The monster should still be on the street that goes to the park. You need to prepare a little before going, right? It’s not much, but here’s your wallet back.

gently caress you it’s not much! So back out into the streets in front of the market area.

Hm?

Man: Legions of monsters have appeared at the park!

The park? Okay, that’s gotta be it.

Man: What do you mean, “okay”!? Everyone is evacuating! It’s too dangerous! You have to turn back!

I feel nearly everyone in the slums are blind to the fact he’s wearing a Soldier 1st Class uniform and is lugging a pretty hefty sword around with him.

I’m sorry but…

Man: What!? You’re talking nonsense!

It’s all right, don’t worry about me. You, on the other hand, should get back behind the gate.

The lowly toothed caterpillar slug things, one of my most loathed enemies.

But that means I’m gonna have to...oh, gross. ...Gotta love this job.

By the angle I was fighting at I didn’t get a good shot of it, but these fuckers can Stop you with some silk like Guard Spider can. They like to hang out with either just generaly nasty enemies or enemies with instant death attacks in later missions.

Also that mouth is terrifying even from this side.

The inside’s still intact...right? Woah! That’s a whole lot more than what’s in my wallet!

Boy: Eww...it’s all slimy.

Quit complaining! You should be glad just to have it back!

Zack, were you hurt?

Not a scratch! No problem whatsoever!

Zack Superman pose count: 4

Also oh god he’s going to start channeling Angeal. I hope this kid is ready to hear about dreams and honor. There is no more surefire way to drive a child to a life of crime.

...Is what I’d like to say, but you can go. You’re in a hurry, right?

Boy: Thanks, mister.

Next time you’re in trouble, don’t steal! Come talk to me first.

Zack is never going to want kids after this episode.

Boy: I thought you looked pretty rich, but your wallet told me another story.

I really wish this line was voiced. I love it and want to hear Zack yelling it out loud.

Aerith and I are gonna sell flowers!

Huh?

We call it Operation: Midgar Full of Flowers, Wallet Full of Money!

That’s right! Midgar full of flowers, wallet full of money!

Boy: Aerith, are you seriously doing this?

Come talk to me if you’re in trouble, okay?

Boy: All right, I’ll come talk to you. Well, I really do have to hurry. Thanks, Aerith, mister. You should be more careful on the street, unless you want your wallet taken again!

For serious. If I never see that kid again it will be too soon.

Thanks for helping that boy, Zack.

Oh, it was nothing...

Of course! How can I turn back now, after all I said? I have an idea! Let’s make a wagon! Yeah! A flower wagon! If we have a wagon to put the flowers in, we can cart them all around Midgar selling them!

So yeah, it was pretty obvious earlier in the Church, but Zack is ALSO the reason that by the time FF7 rolls around Aerith is a flower girl. Because at present she is apparently too stupid to figure that out on her own. One part misogyny, one part “we have to make this prequel character important!”

So all told this drat thievery and associated scenes took about 15 minutes of running around doing stupid busy work. :argh:

And a few more e-mails to tie things up. Banora is looking even more suspicious as time goes on. The details are still murky but Shinra definitely was up to something there even before Genesis went crazy town.

Man I’m never getting rid of these people, am I?

And at this point we are roughtly 1/3 of the way through the game. All told it is broken down into 11 chapters and this is #5. Though Chapter 1 was the intro and a few others are a bit longer or shorter, but it should average out. Probably be somewhere north of 30 but below 40 updates?

Nashun fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 18, 2016

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

thetruegentleman posted:

Dissidia's Sephiroth is literally on Team Evil, so it's only natural he's crazy.

As for Kingdom Hearts, it's stuck with Sephiroth as he was portrayed in FF7 for the simple reason that he's been around since the first game, which was made in 2002. Even so, it's hard to be certain that Sephiroth is even "real" as of Kingdom Hearts 2, as his talk with Cloud implies that Sephiroth was actually born from the dark part of Cloud's heart, and he exists mainly to tempt Cloud into forsaking everyone else so he can go full Grim Dark.

Then again, Kingdom Hearts is also dumb as hell, so it's better not to think too hard about all the crap that goes on in it.

So uh, Sephiroth is like Vanitas then?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm not sure you'll have a wallet full of money selling flowers at 1 gil.

Silegna posted:

Basically. Only he shows up in BBS to kidnap Zack, so... :shrug:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm not sure you'll have a wallet full of money selling flowers at 1 gil.

In Wall Market NPCs complain that she's charging them bucketloads so it must vary by customer, and she either already saw something in Cloud or was intimidated by the fact he was a sword-wielding merc running from an explosion.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

AlphaKretin posted:

In Wall Market NPCs complain that she's charging them bucketloads so it must vary by customer, and she either already saw something in Cloud or was intimidated by the fact he was a sword-wielding merc running from an explosion.

To be fair, it IS Wall Market. I'd mark up the poo poo out of anything I was selling there.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Silegna posted:

Hard to say. Vanitas always struck me more as the bastard love child of Roxas and Golbez: a brain washed copy with anger issues who wants the hero to be stronger so Vanitas can kick start destiny. Sephiroth, by contrast, doesn't even seem to have a plan: he just wants Cloud to admit he's "Not So Different", presumably because he's a copy of Sephiroth created by Cloud (those weird leg wings are kind of a hint that he isn't the 'real' one) and wants Cloud to admit it, kind of like a Shadow from Persona 4.

Whether or not that would actually do anything if Cloud actually agreed isn't known, and probably doesn't matter because Tifa isn't going to let Cloud go full Grimdark, and the series has so many original characters now that Cloud won't have any time to get a proper resolution.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

thetruegentleman posted:

Hard to say. Vanitas always struck me more as the bastard love child of Roxas and Golbez: a brain washed copy with anger issues who wants the hero to be stronger so Vanitas can kick start destiny. Sephiroth, by contrast, doesn't even seem to have a plan: he just wants Cloud to admit he's "Not So Different", presumably because he's a copy of Sephiroth created by Cloud (those weird leg wings are kind of a hint that he isn't the 'real' one) and wants Cloud to admit it, kind of like a Shadow from Persona 4.

Whether or not that would actually do anything if Cloud actually agreed isn't known, and probably doesn't matter because Tifa isn't going to let Cloud go full Grimdark, and the series has so many original characters now that Cloud won't have any time to get a proper resolution.
A persona has emerged from the sea of your soul, Sephiroth the longsworder. Fire-type

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...both of those fan clubs are going to keep going the whole game, aren't they?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

THere is no escape from them.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 24, 2016

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015
Chapter 12: If You Open Your Heart

So, last update was kind of a brick wall. Chapter 4 is really good, writing is good, character growth for Sephiroth, then...the first half of this chapter is just such a pacing whiplash. Aerith and Zack’s relationship needed to be covered...somewhere in here but immediately after learning his best friend is some crazy biological experiment that tried to kill him is probably not the ideal time! It just kind of goes from -> Man this is hosed -> Hit on cute girl OH GOD SHE LIKES ME.

But let us carry forward! Things will actually happen in the rest of this chapter.

Music: Town Where the Sunlight Doesn’t Reach

Ok I lied. We have there minigames to do first. But they are largely pretty quick.

Clerk: There’s some materia missing again! They must have dropped them somewhere! Oh say, friend. You look like you’re fast.

Fast like the wind!

We have to show these sector five assholes how awesome we are after being jerked around by them all afternoon I guess. Really, Zack should just be walking around the room giving everyone the middle finger.

Clerk: Ha, I knew it! Now, how would you like to do a little job for me? It’s really easy, won’t take long at all. You just have to collect materia you find on the streets.

Literally all we have to do is run the loop around the building the materia shop is in and pick up 20 materia from the ground by smashing X as we run by. Our goal here is to grab them all and return to the clerk in under 23 seconds to get the maximum reward.

Clerk: I see you found all 20 materia. Your time...whoa, now that’s FAST! 21.36! That’s godlike!

Yeah this guy is so loving impatient you don’t get as much pay at 25 seconds. He’s also using a pretty precise stopwatch. Clearly they should have dropped the plate on Sector 5. We get 100 gil for our reward :effort:

Nice work, Zack.

Well, at least he managed to impress Aerith.

Clerk: On sale for a limited time only! A most exquisitely fragrant perfume! An ideal gift for that special lady friend! How about it, mister? 300 gil each!

Well, I had to run the materia obstacle course a few times to win, so I got a few hundred gil burning a hole in my pocket.

I guess I could buy one.

Clerk: Here’s a proposition for you! Normally, the price is 300 gil even, but…

Clerk: Would you like to try blending?

So wait, I pay YOU extra to make ME do the work of mixing something into this perfume and possibly ruining? Hell yes I’m interested.

So the Clerk will tell us how many drops of oil to the perfume to make it perfectly. This is usually some number in the mid 20s. We need to count the drips(and possibly the Splash! Worth five drips) and stop at the correct amount. If you are five or more drops off you get the Bad End with Aerith.

Clerk: Okay! Let’s see how you did! Wow! You put in just the right amount! Mmm...that smells really good! All right, let’s add up the cost of oil added...

Wait a minute! You never told me how much that oil was! Scam artist! Not that this amount of Gil remotely matters to us, but each drop we add is 10 gil. Zack is spendin’ big on his first date.

Oh, thank you! I wonder what kind of scent it is!

...You know we never actually asked about the original scent. Just the rose oil we doused it in to cover up whatever we paid for initially.

At no point will we see a bottle of perfume.

Wow...it just smells sooo nice. Thank you so much, Zack.

All right! Does this mean you really like it?

Yeah… It’s almost a shame to use it.

They kind of went hog wild on responses here. Also time to let a SUPER SECRET out of the bag. All this random crap we’ve been doing has been adding to a hidden affection stat. Yet another callback to FF7. So depending on the order you do the games and how much BS you went through to get your wallet back you can be at three levels of affection. For each level of affection there are FOUR responses according to how well we did.

I honestly had no idea how many ways this could go. I had always done materia guy->perfume->third game so got the same response. We ended up with Middle Affection/Perfect mix but here are all the others just for posterity.

quote:

Lowest/stinky
Zack… Did I do something to make you upset? ...*cough*!

That didn't go very well...

Lowest/okay
Hm, it smells pretty good, I guess. Thanks.

You're welcome. I guess that's an okay result...

Lowest/good
Oh...that smells really nice! Thank you, Zack.

Hey, she's pretty into it!

Lowest/perfect
You made this, right? It smells wonderful...

Yeah. You're very talented, Zack.

Y-yeah? Well...I hope you enjoy it!

Middle/stinky
It's a very unique scent...Ngh...*cough*!

Middle/okay
Thank you, Zack. Hehe...it smells better than I expected.

Middle/good
It smells really good. I didn't know you could make perfume!

Hey, she's pretty into it!

High/stinky
Hehe… It's not the best perfume I've smelled… But you bought it for me, Zack, So I'm really happy...ugh...*cough*!

High/okay
Thank you. Maybe I think it smells good because I'm happy that you thought of me.

High/good
Wow, this is a great scent! Hehe, it makes me feel all happy.

Hey, she's pretty into it.

High/perfect
You're really amazing, Zack. It smells so great...I'll cherish it.

Yeah, but it'll be so sad when it's all gone… Can I just keep it without using any?

Y-yeah?Well...I hope you enjoy it!

So our last minigame is this 10 year old that swindled us out of five potions running a numbers racket. Somehow the slum mob haven’t taken his knee caps.

Boy: There are great prizes today, as always. Try your luck for 100 gil a game.

He’s...moderately accurate. There are some accessories you won’t have without doing some missions that are alright, a full spread of consumables up to X-Potion. The real big winner you can get is ATK Up Materia which we won’t see for a while otherwise, but it comes in at a whopping 4% chance to show as a prize. Also I am literally wearing 3 accessories that add +10 to my attack right now which brings it from 29->59. I think we’re ok.

Boy: Oh, the guy who gave me the potions. I heard what happened, I’m sorry.

He’s probably already given it away as “prizes” to some schlub who wont his game.

Boy: I’ll let you play the game for cheap.

:geno: Boy howdy, thanks. Not even a “The first one is free!” To try to get us hooked.

Eh, whatever. Thanks.

Zack agrees.

Man this kid is forward.

Boy: Yeah, you make a nice couple.

Also into snap judgments.

Zack is funny, strong, and...a really kind person.

Weirdly this one doesn’t seem to have any alternate text depending on affection level. She’s just always pretty into Zack.

Boy: Okay, back to business...I’ll give you a discount, mister. It’s usually 100 gil a game, but 50 gil is fine.

So basically there will be six people walking by us. Some random number of them from 1-6 will be kids. We need to guess the number of kids. Of course this game isn’t fixed! If we guess the right number of kids we win one of the prizes.

Aerith, you can choose for me. What number do you like?

One of Aerith’s numbers will always be correct. The higher our affection is the fewer numbers she’ll give us. The lowest we can get is two.

1 and...5 maybe? I like those numbers… but I’ll leave the decision to you.

Since we are doing the numbers game last we have some pretty good odds.

Boy: Mister, you should take her advice. Aerith has really good instincts.

Apparently one of the powers of being an Ancient is RNG manipulation.

Boy: Oh, for an extra 50 gil, I can predict 3 numbers that I think have a good chance of winning.

Seriously, this is the most crooked looking game of all time. I actually have no idea how the kid’s numbers are generated or if you can get an overlap between his and Aerith’s to narrow it down to one. Either way I tell him to go screw himself.

And then some people wander by!

I managed to score a win on my 50% chance guess, and now I am done with this kid forever.

Boy: Today’s grand prize: HP Up! Darn it, that’s one of the rarest prizes!

Just as rare as the ATK Up. But I already have two, so whatev.

Word really gets around quick on these things.

Music: A Flower Blooming in the Slums(From FFVII “Aerith’s Theme”)

Hmm...I’m not sure yet.

Clerk: Hey, aren’t you… You are! The guy who was chasing that kid around! I heard about you from the neighborhood folks.

Hey! Someone actually managed to apologize to us. Ok, I relent. Sector 5 can live.

Clerk: I’m sorry we misjudged you. This is just a small token of our appreciation.

We also get a Hi-Potion and a Remedy since we got taken for maximum potions and waited maximum times with the little girl.

Clerk: I have to say though, Aerith…

Clerk: This one has my stamp of approval. I hope you’re very happy together!

There’s something really special about him. I’ve never met anyone like him before.

This is the other big spot for changes based on how well we’ve been doing on the affection front.

quote:

Lowest-
Clerk: You found yourself a pretty nice fella.

Nooo, of course not! It's not like that at all.

I guess you gotta’ play(minigames) to win.

Okay-
Clerk: You found yourself a pretty nice fella.
No, he's not my boyfriend. I just met him. But maaaybe… There's something there. Maybe.

Good-
Clerk: You're not gonna find a decent, honest, kindhearted guy like this very often. This one has my stamp of approval. I hope you're very happy together!

*giggle* Does it look that way, really? Hmm...that wouldn't be so bad. He's strong, kinda funny, and there's something special about him.

Oh, wait. Can I take a look inside this store?

I’m just kidding! Go look as long as you like.

Zack is not aware of the inescapable gender stereotypes to be found in media concerning girls and shopping. Nearly loses his first shot at a girlfriend because of it.

Thanks. Just for a little bit. I promise.

Well, it is only a camper so that shouldn’t take long.

yeah, it’s fun just looking around.

Hey, Aerith.

Mm-hmm?

To show my gratitude for that “hell-lloo” that woke me up I’ll buy you something.

Girl, he already spent 550 gil in perfume. Don’t act like you are better than that!

You said, “Don’t be silly!”

Well…

Zack should have been a salesman. Master of the hard sell.

Are you sure?

Positive.

Click to Watch. Recommended!

All right, I’ll go buy it. I’ll be right back.

How’s that?

And then the screen goes to black, because they didn’t want to remotely attempt to render what was happening right now.

Did you put it on right? Will it stay on?

It should be fine. Yeah, it looks great!

Son of the Daughter of the callback chapter! So yeah, Aerith’s bow is a gift from Zack and she’s been wearing it for six years straight by the time we meet up with her in FF7. Really holds its color well!

Hey, do you still have some time?

I guess so, why?

I have a nagging feeling Zack really has somewhere he ought to be right now.

Why don’t we go to the park?

Weirdly this bit drops out of voice acting, then a few lines later drops right back into voice acted cut scene. I’m wondering if there used to be more lines here based on affection but they got cut/never got around to it.

Uh-huh!

Okay, let’s go.

Man I love this rabbit slide thing. This is a callback I can get behind.

So, ever meet any SOLDIER members?

Maybe.

Do you think that they’re happy?

What do you mean?

Well, I guess leaving only dead folks in your wake is a certain flavor of peace.

they get some kind of special surgery, don’t they?

Music: Duty and Friendship
...I think. It’s one of sixteen variants of The Price of Freedom / the main theme.

So they say.

Normal is best. I think so, at least. Those SOLDIER people are kind of...weird.

And scary.

*gasp*

This turn in the conversation really comes out of left field. The whole tone leading up to this point is she’s trying to work out the image she has of SOLDIER as blood thirsty spec ops guys with Zack who puts up with all of Sector 5’s stupid stuff and manages to help out around the place. Then she just straight up doesn’t know he was in SOLDIER? Where was she even going with this conversation?

The only thing I really have is that it’s tying into when she talks to Cloud about why the Turks would want her and it is mentioned that the Turks recruit for SOLDIER. But she knows the real reason is she has wack rear end powers that she hates.

Maybe she does know he’s in SOLDIER but is sorry for coming off that way about them? It’s not the delivery of the line though.

So pretty…

*giggle* The eyes!

The animations and expression work is really top notch in this game. Also Aerith’s VA seems to have caught her stride by this point and doesn’t sound nearly as much like she has a bit of brain damage.

You like them? Take a closer look. Eyes infused with mako energy. A SOLDIER trademark.

Oh you!

Hahaha! Color of the sky, right?

I’ll admit it, things haven’t been normal at all lately. What about you, Aerith? How’s your life going?

I was thinking it would be a normal day, but then suddenly…

That’s not all that bad.

Mm-hmm…

Oh right. Lazard. The whole, you know, city being invaded by Genesis, Hollander, and Angeal thing. Duty. You know. That thing, your SOLDIER honor and pride.

Genesis has attacked us.

On my way. I’m sorry, but duty calls.

Will I...see you again?

Of course!

I hope that your friend’s okay, Zack.

Huh?

You talk in your sleep.

Haha. Oh god, if Cloud also talks in his sleep. She would be so confused after listening in on THAT mess going through his head.

yeah, it’ll be fine.

Angeal was just waiting for Zack to find a girlfriend without his help. Now that he has fulfilled that goal they can be together once again.

-End Video-

I have to go through the Marketplace if I recall.

Ok, it’s ALMOST back to real gameplay. One more quick scene and we can finally punch some dudes for more than one fight for the first time this chapter. All told Sector 5 probably takes about an hour to get through.

Boy: Heyyy!

Boy: I didn’t know you were going home so fast. I’m glad I caught you. I wanted to give this materia to you. I’m never gonna steal again. That’s why I want you to keep this for me.

:toot: Steal can be pretty handy. You don’t need to go around robbing everything, but it is a decent source of materia fusion mats as well as some rare-ish equipment. Tragically it will be something like 5 chapters before I get Mug because I just can’t level it up into that.

Well, good for you! I’m always happy to serve as a role model.

Boy: Mister, don’t use that materia to do bad things.

Zack works for Shinra. I make no guarantees.

Of course I won’t!

Zack disagrees, but Zack has a big blind spot towards Shinra still.

Boy: Well, never mind that. I actually wanted to tell you something else.

Where did that come from…?

Boy: Just between you and me, Aerith is pretty sweet on you. I’m rooting for you, mister! Come talk to me anytime if you need anything. See ya!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled invasion of Midgar.

Music: On the Verge of the Assault (from FFVII ''Those Who Fight'')

What’s the matter with you!? I’ll stop you once and for all!

Now that I think about it, what the hell did Sephiroth get up to in his conversation with Genesis. I’ll assume he just let him bail since he’s wrecking poo poo again. Friendship!

Also we are super pumped about a girl that likes us! We are more likely to roll Aerith on the DMW.

I am presently set for the nuclear option. It is...a bit overkill. 30 of my 59 ATK is from those three power wrists. Also I shove on that shiny new Steal materia because we’ll be needing it soon.

As soon as we start walking down the road we immediately get jumped by a Genesis copy.

After the briefest of sword play his buddies just kind of fade in out of nothing. This road is super lazy. Usually they at least make those guys show up offscreen.

This is actually a new flavor: The G Assailant. Somewhere between the initial assault on Shinra Tower and now they larned how to throw their swords at us. They also have some more HP but are otherwise the same ol’ same ol’

In the fine tradition of this playthrough we hit someone else’s DMW instead of the person we have a 5x bonus to. And get a Angeal memory to boot.

Right!

Well, about three seconds of memory.

On the upside all three Assailants are vaporized before I get a chance to attack. On the downside they are vaporized before I get a chance to commit Righteous Thievery.

Basically this highway is a very minor gauntlet. After each fight Zack runs forward a bit and more enemies jump us before we can heal or anything.

Next up, we have mechs. They look pretty adamant about not letting me pass. Well I’m pretty adamant about busting through!

The Moth Slashers are another friend from SHinra Tower in FF7. These guys come packing a Drill attack that hits pretty hard and knocks you back.

Click to Watch

Sephiroth also decides to get in on the DMW memory party! This one is actually pretty good.

Instead Sephiroth just flies by.

Did you say something? Let’s go!

And manage to roll another first on the DMW. If you get triple of a number 1-6 that Materia goes up two levels. So our shiny new Steal is up to 3 already!

oops, now I’m surrounded!

More is the pity for the enemy. You should never corner a Wild Zack.

Yeah my regular hits are about what my criticals were before I started abusing Power Wrists. I’m pretty sure magnets are involved in them.

Finally settled down a bit. This is taking longer than I thought. I’d better get moving.

Click to Watch Mid-Boss Fight

Oh god you aren’t joking about degradation if this is what the higher end copies of Genesis are looking like these days.

Being ugly doesn’t stop him from being quite frisky though.

Ngh... that stung a little. A cut above the usual riff-raff, are we? But you are going down!

Step one vs. the G Warrior is to snag his loot. Venom Shock is an accessory that can add poison to our attack. It is...moderately useless? He also carries a Mute Shock which can silence. That is probably more useful than the damage, but only slightly. Not worth save scumming over.

Tseng decides to show up with some Air Support in a spot that actually makes sense for a helicopter to be at for once. Also we level steal up to 4 already.

For the sake of variety I decided to chuck some Fire around. It’s weaker than my attack, but keeps me away from his spear. The bastard actually tries to silence me but you can roll away from it.

It has a neat effect at least.

G Warrior doesn’t have a real special but he can do this twin kick for...about the same damage as the Drill attack from the robits. He’s pretty much a joke even as mid-bosses go. He drops in about a minute flat.

Now there is a Materia I can get behind!

I’d better hurry.

-End Video-

Click to Watch through end of update

Well, at least Zack has about the right face for seeing someone that tried to kill him last they met.

The gentle art of asking questions to people you have hosed over.

Music: Theme of Crisis Core “With Pride”

Do you?

I’m not really sure myself.

As long as I hold the Buster Sword.

Not that we have any idea what his battle is so far.

Our enemy is all that creates suffering.

Well THAT’s a wide swath. I guess we’re embarking on a genocide then.

All right. I’ll help you.

Zack is on board, but it is pretty clear it could not be more tentative. Former friendship can only stretch so far when your friend is currently a bit of a killer loon.

Aaaah!

I’ll carry you there.

No, wait! I...

Flying feels...pretty good.

Bullshit wing powers, away!

Next time! Unexpected aficionados of poetry and furious rematches!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Nashun posted:

I’m pretty sure magnets are involved in them.
I'd love to see one of those "balance bracelets" as a starter accessory in one of the more modern FF games. Does nothing, naturally. :v: Come to think of it, I wouldn't put it past one of the fashion model FFXV crew to wear one of those tacky things.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I can never, for the life of me, get over the fact that the Shinra building is actually basically just two separate office towers stacked on top of each other with a weird oil drum thing in the middle of it.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

nine-gear crow posted:

I can never, for the life of me, get over the fact that the Shinra building is actually basically just two separate office towers stacked on top of each other with a weird oil drum thing in the middle of it.

Two separate ridiculously massive office towers. Midgar's scale is absurd.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

AlphaKretin posted:

Two separate ridiculously massive office towers. Midgar's scale is absurd.

That huge loving central building, eight separate city districts, eight giant nuclear-equivalent power plants, the walls surrounding all of it, the plate, the supports for the plate, railways between each district, highways between them, all of the poo poo down in the slums...

I do not envy Reeve his job as the guy in charge of municipal planning and city works. No wonder he eventually went crazy and began living out double life fantasies as a Scottish robot cat.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Your Sephiroth DMW video is set to private.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Your Sephiroth DMW video is set to private.

Zack's just not ready to share some things about his relationship with Sephiroth, ok?!

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015
Haha. Well, got it changed and finally got around to fixing my default to unlisted! So we should be good to go on that front going forward.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

The one-winged flying thing is pretty dumb.

Then again, I guess the flashback with the 1sts fighting shows that they don't need wings to fly, so...

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015
Nashun rewrites Crisis Core part 1 of I don't know I'll probably say something later. An Unofficial Series.

So my first immediate instinct was to shitcan Genesis completely and rework Angeal a lot, but I think they can stay as their overall role is fine but implemented atrociously. Genesis and Angeal should be a few years older than Sephiroth instead of the same age. They are part of the experiments, but don't come out fully right but don't have god drat wings. The scientists know the degradation problem is likely to happen but don't tell Angeal/Genesis. Improvements to the process then make Sephiroth. Genesis joins SOLDIER because he grew up on drama and wants to be the hero. Angeal joins because he feels he owes it to his best friend. Both quickly rise through the ranks because degradation hasn't kicked in and they are both genetically enhanced super soldiers. Wutai war kicks off, Sephiroth has joined SOLDIER and is a complete monster in battle. Not even Angeal and Gensis can touch him. He becomes friends with Genesis and Angeal since they are the only ones remotely near him. Sephiroth becomes the hero of the war. Genesis is super mad because he's not the best and he is denied the one thing he joined SOLDIER for. Then somehow Genesis learns he's a genetic monster and doomed to decay. Goes completely bugfuck and follows the main arc of where the story goes but with way less poetry and DBZ flashbacks.

The Aerith thing just needs more time to grow. Zack could have easily run into/rescued her in place of Cissnei in sector 8 during Genesis' raid as a callback to FF7 without being so blatant as falling through the roof of the church. They promise to meet up again and all the random BS in this chapter is the stuff you do before the main mission in an upcoming chapter. Then it isn't nearly as much "Hello, I love you won't you tell me your name?" that we get here. That has a side effect of letting Cissnei who is supposed to be a badass Turk not get introduced then immediately need to be rescued.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Nashun posted:

Nashun rewrites Crisis Core part 1 of I don't know I'll probably say something later. An Unofficial Series.

So my first immediate instinct was to shitcan Genesis completely and rework Angeal a lot, but I think they can stay as their overall role is fine but implemented atrociously. Genesis and Angeal should be a few years older than Sephiroth instead of the same age. They are part of the experiments, but don't come out fully right but don't have god drat wings. The scientists know the degradation problem is likely to happen but don't tell Angeal/Genesis. Improvements to the process then make Sephiroth. Genesis joins SOLDIER because he grew up on drama and wants to be the hero. Angeal joins because he feels he owes it to his best friend. Both quickly rise through the ranks because degradation hasn't kicked in and they are both genetically enhanced super soldiers. Wutai war kicks off, Sephiroth has joined SOLDIER and is a complete monster in battle. Not even Angeal and Gensis can touch him. He becomes friends with Genesis and Angeal since they are the only ones remotely near him. Sephiroth becomes the hero of the war. Genesis is super mad because he's not the best and he is denied the one thing he joined SOLDIER for. Then somehow Genesis learns he's a genetic monster and doomed to decay. Goes completely bugfuck and follows the main arc of where the story goes but with way less poetry and DBZ flashbacks.

The Aerith thing just needs more time to grow. Zack could have easily run into/rescued her in place of Cissnei in sector 8 during Genesis' raid as a callback to FF7 without being so blatant as falling through the roof of the church. They promise to meet up again and all the random BS in this chapter is the stuff you do before the main mission in an upcoming chapter. Then it isn't nearly as much "Hello, I love you won't you tell me your name?" that we get here. That has a side effect of letting Cissnei who is supposed to be a badass Turk not get introduced then immediately need to be rescued.

:frogon:

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015

Nashun posted:

Anything with less of that drat play is a definite improvement.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Zakrelo posted:

Anything with less of that drat play is a definite improvement.

No, I think keeping Loveless in a legit theatrical production on the level of Shakespeare would be valid. And use it to show just how full of himself Genesis is as a character by pretending to be cultured and smart in addition to all his other traits.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

berryjon posted:

No, I think keeping Loveless in a legit theatrical production on the level of Shakespeare would be valid. And use it to show just how full of himself Genesis is as a character by pretending to be cultured and smart in addition to all his other traits.

Have Zack also be a fan of it, but in the real life "I pay attention to what they're actually loving saying" way rather than G's "It's poetry so it must mean something profound!" bullshit so that after the second or third time Genesis spends half his lines on Loveless dialogue, right around the time the player is getting sick of it themselves, he finally just goes "Dude, you don't have any loving clue what that even means." and calls him on it.

It's cathartic both in-character and for the player, and Genesis would either get a clue, which would show some actual development on his part, or he wouldn't, which shows that he's really just a poser trying to sound cool when we all know he isn't. That second option also allows Zack a chance to play dueling quotes with him at the end, because he's sick and tired of, on top of everything else, this vain rear end in a top hat keeps butchering a play he really likes in front of him.

Basically, if CC as it is took Loveless even just a little bit less seriously in regards to Genesis, they'd have had a lot more to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Angeal is completely the kind of guy who'd say "join my battle" and assume the stakes were obvious to everyone.

• Locked thread