Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
I wish there was an Aghanim's Scepter item that had a different effect for every class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008

The Rev posted:

So I decided to get back into PoE but I seem to keep running into crashes left and right and was wondering if any other goons have seen this problem and what you did to resolve it...Prior to these issues I had ~700 hours of flawless PoE play (all on a much older, weaker computer).

My game will totally black screen anywhere from 10 seconds into a game to around 1.5 hours (longest I've went w/o a crash). It's not even a light crash either, my screen goes black, keyboard becomes unresponsive and I've got to hit the reset button (I still retain sound, and certain programs like Skype keep working as I can keep talking with people). I simply can no longer use my keyboard, and the screen remains black forever.

I also sometimes (if I'm lucky) will get a popup that often says slightly different things, but usually mentions "OUT OF MEMORY" regardless of the specific error. At least with this one, it just boots me back to the desktop and I don't have to reboot the machine.

I've tried playing with graphics sliders (all high, all low, medium, etc), full screen vs windowed - All give similar results.
Updated all drivers for computer - No dice.
Fresh install of the game, verified game files - No dice.

I don't quite believe it's a hardware problem as this is a pretty beefy rig (16gb ram, 980Ti, 6700k) and I can play ton's of other games like FO4, HoTS, World of Warships and BF4 at High/Ultra settings for hours with no issues at all. That being said I'd look at any solution, even if it comes down to a specific piece of hardware just not cooperating with PoE.

Also gave it the ol' google search, but most of the similar issues are from years ago and were due to PoE being run on someone's toaster. Nothing of substance to troubleshoot off of.

Any other goons running into this issue? Fell free to let me know I need to supply more info for a proper diagnosis.

whypick1 posted:

I think some people have had more luck with the standalone client vs. the Steam client. Have you tried that?

I have not tried that so I just downloaded the standalone client, is there any way to log into my steam account with it? I need my stash tabs...

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

The Rev posted:

I have not tried that so I just downloaded the standalone client, is there any way to log into my steam account with it? I need my stash tabs...

Not without emailing support and getting them to convert your account into one that can work on the standalone.

This reddit post may help you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/4avb4b/if_your_game_uses_too_much_memory_then_read_this/

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

The Rev posted:

Log into the forums with your steam account and send a message to "Support" with the e-mail you want the account to be attached to.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

:getin:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I wish I could hate you to death.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I hope you die

To reflect

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
As a update, fresh install of the Standalone client, got support to link my account. Hardlocked about 1 minute into the game idling in town.

Shame, I wanted to farm coins on my Templar to try and buy him some pants :(

Thanks for the suggestions anyway, I'll keep an eye out to see if a solution comes around at some point.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
I just spent 150 jewelers and 50 fuses for my 6s 5link Carcass Jack before I remembered quality made it more likely to roll better links. Oh well, got it anyway.

J
Jun 10, 2001

That abyssus is like the holy grail.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

What's the build I should do if I want pure map clearing speed? RF totems is a great "I lust for murder" build that clears atziri for sub 30 chaos but I've played it for like 30 hours now.

I don't care about uber atziri (and no one else does either :v:), and vaal spark / spark build was super boring. I want to nonstop run through maps (maybe MF?) LA pathfinder?

budget like 10 ex so nothing super bonkers

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Voltaxic Lightning Arrow/Blast Rain has incredible clearspeed, and is well within your budget. I played a Ranger last league (after I correctly anticipated the strength of pure chaos damage). There are more options for starting class than ever: Duellist-Champion for tankiness, Shadow-Assassin for pure crit, and Ranger-Deadeye for area.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Mortimer posted:

What's the build I should do if I want pure map clearing speed? RF totems is a great "I lust for murder" build that clears atziri for sub 30 chaos but I've played it for like 30 hours now.

I don't care about uber atziri (and no one else does either :v:), and vaal spark / spark build was super boring. I want to nonstop run through maps (maybe MF?) LA pathfinder?

budget like 10 ex so nothing super bonkers

Ice trap or lightning trap saboteur. Cheap, and every pack takes about 1 second to kill.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Ada posted:

I just spent 150 jewelers and 50 fuses for my 6s 5link Carcass Jack before I remembered quality made it more likely to roll better links. Oh well, got it anyway.

It doesn't anymore, so you saved yourself the trouble of putting it to 20 quality and then wondering why the hell it wasn't consuming the quality when you rolled the fuse or socket.

Or does quality still affect it, but is no longer consumed?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Gibbo posted:

It doesn't anymore, so you saved yourself the trouble of putting it to 20 quality and then wondering why the hell it wasn't consuming the quality when you rolled the fuse or socket.

Or does quality still affect it, but is no longer consumed?

patch notes:

quote:

When you use an Orb of Fusing or a Jeweller's Orb on an item, the item's quality is no longer consumed. The way that quality affects the result has also been changed. Each 1% quality improves the result by 1%. This makes the Fusing process 20% easier on 20% quality items, for example.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
For reference a 6link on something 20% before used to be more than twice as likely to occur. It's a huge nerf but it does save a lot of pointless clicking.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

ronya posted:

patch notes:

I thought I might have misread when I skimmed it that one time. Good to know.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Budgie posted:

For reference a 6link on something 20% before used to be more than twice as likely to occur. It's a huge nerf but it does save a lot of pointless clicking.

But how many people used 20 armorers before every attempt? 2x the odds of barely anything is still barely anything.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Phobophilia posted:

Voltaxic Lightning Arrow/Blast Rain has incredible clearspeed, and is well within your budget. I played a Ranger last league (after I correctly anticipated the strength of pure chaos damage). There are more options for starting class than ever: Duellist-Champion for tankiness, Shadow-Assassin for pure crit, and Ranger-Deadeye for area.

If clear speed is the only objective, Raider or Pathfinder are probably the fastest for this build.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

But how many people used 20 armorers before every attempt? 2x the odds of barely anything is still barely anything.

The change has made it easier to 6-link rares/uniques, because few people would quality those for every attempt previously.

However, 6-linking high level crafting bases may now be harder / more expensive than before. Using 4 scraps for every fuse used to be worth it. At least so I hear, I generally don't get the kind of wealth where I am trying to 6-link poo poo.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
it wasn't worth it to quality uniques and rares to 6S/6L previously, so the change may have buffed that.

they did murder the production line for white 6L bases, perhaps to counter the influx of divination card 6Ls

is there a sink for scraps now?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ronya posted:

it wasn't worth it to quality uniques and rares to 6S/6L previously, so the change may have buffed that.

they did murder the production line for white 6L bases, perhaps to counter the influx of divination card 6Ls

Chisel Recipe

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I find myself shorter on low maps and hammers than on whetstones, generally. Is that the case for other people?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ronya posted:

rerolling

serisouly, I feel like ascendancy itself will lead to even more rerolls than before

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Welp

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

The Real Foogla posted:

rerolling

serisouly, I feel like ascendancy itself will lead to even more rerolls than before

I am on my third character so far, and I currently have 49 scraps. Story checks out.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

wait a corrupted six off-color evasion six link? what do you even do with that?

Elerion
May 31, 2011

The Real Foogla posted:

You make a spellcaster with Evasion, Acrobatics, Phase Acrobatics, Mind over Matter and a massive HP/mana pool. Just as an example.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The Real Foogla posted:

Get a free divine

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Elerion posted:

You make a spellcaster with Evasion, Acrobatics, Phase Acrobatics, Mind over Matter and a massive HP/mana pool. Just as an example.

counter: get vorici high enough to get rid of those colors

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
how can a man live with only 4 stash tabs

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I never tend to pay money in free to play games, but stash tabs in diablo clones is where they get me, I need to hoard all that crap I'll never use on the off chance I'll use it one day.

I shall never play standard because I'd have to sort through 50 tabs of REMOVE ONLY filled with junk and currency.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Ixjuvin posted:

how can a man live with only 4 stash tabs

Use the guild stash as a dumping ground

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Not to be a noob, but how do I join the guild?

I tried PMing Skyl3blazer but I get an error---"Invalid recipient username. Please press the back button, enter the correct username and try again. Click Here to See the Members List". And predictably, the Members List just 404s.

My character name is IronQueenDecember.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
so having played through the last couple days, ending up at lvl 38, not really knowing what I'm doing but ending up with a ranger build that does close to 2,000 dps and having beaten act 3 without any trouble anywhere, and then I do this labyrinth thing and get my poo poo COMPLETELY pushed in by the boss. Is this a thing? Did I do something wrong?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Bushiz posted:

so having played through the last couple days, ending up at lvl 38, not really knowing what I'm doing but ending up with a ranger build that does close to 2,000 dps and having beaten act 3 without any trouble anywhere, and then I do this labyrinth thing and get my poo poo COMPLETELY pushed in by the boss. Is this a thing? Did I do something wrong?

The Labyrinth is a totally new mechanic that is really unlike anything else in the game. Izaro makes very powerful, telegraphed attacks that can be avoided semi-easily (some more than others, obviously) and a few attacks that aren't nearly as damaging but are harder to dodge. Then you have to deal with whatever his rotating gimmick is - sometimes you kill things, sometimes you click things, etc. It can be a lot for a new player to take in.

There's nothing wrong with gaining a few levels first and then going into it. I did my first normal labyrinth at level 45 or so, which let me have a bit more wiggle room and let me learn the mechanics better.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Bushiz posted:

the lab is basically Act 5 that teases and tests you for a while

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I shall never play standard because I'd have to sort through 50 tabs of REMOVE ONLY filled with junk and currency.
Pfft, I have 133 remove-only on standard now. I even make a token effort at clearing poo poo out sometimes!

A Strange Aeon posted:

Not to be a noob, but how do I join the guild?

I tried PMing Skyl3blazer but I get an error---"Invalid recipient username. Please press the back button, enter the correct username and try again. Click Here to See the Members List". And predictably, the Members List just 404s.

My character name is IronQueenDecember.
I'll get you in a bit.

Bushiz posted:

It's a warning for what's to come.
In all seriousness though, lab can be a bit harder than anything before (or after) it especially if it's your first time running. Just come back at like 45, don't stand in poo poo and you'll be fine. Bring a movement skill ideally.

Anyway, I think we had this discussion earlier this week upthread, but your first char is probably going to be a throwaway, poo poo can get significantly harder past normal difficulty, and if you're not familiar with the game or following a guide, it's easy to build a character that won't necessarily function in the endgame. There's also a bit of weirdness going on with the difficulty curve since they added act 4, which I would argue can be harder for a new, untwinked character than the next two or three acts following it in the next difficulty.

Edit: basically take way more life nodes than you think you need.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 18, 2016

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Xavori asked me to post this. Pretty generic and probably bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

whypick1 posted:

I wish I could hate you to death.

• Locked thread