Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Zaardvark posted:

On the topic of auxilliary controls, I came to the same conclusion about Power Grid: free software that will allow you to set up an external tablet / phone / whatever as a touch-screen button panel (think Star Trek). The novelty wore off fast, and now I don't bother.

Just to be inconsistent (or consistently contrarian :D), I'd love a way to control the system (or even star) map from a tablet companion app. If nothing else to (mostly) eliminate the loading times.

Speaking of which, why is the loading time for the system map so atrocious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

No kidding, that's high on my list of bullshit I'd like to see fixed

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Tippis posted:

The intern is a slow typer.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

tooterfish posted:

The intern is a slow typer.

:golfclap:
Explanation accepted.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Tippis posted:

Yes. The common rule of thumb is to go for F, G, and K-stars — M being possible, but a lot less common host for both terraformables and earthlikes (but they make up for it in number so you'll still come across a fair few of them). Any earlier sequence than that, and they're very likely to be too hot and too young to have formed the right type of planets.

Even if they're old enough, you have to look a lot farther out in systems that will already be very spread-out. It's not a huge obstacle, but it means a lot of scooting around in FSD to scan potential planets, which obviously slows you down if you're trying to find a lot of them.

K stars suck. I've only found a single terraformable on this current trip under a K, and it was at 400 ls away from the star. K's don't spawn inhabitable planets very well, I think.
I've been writing down distances I've found terraformables this trip (because I'm finally actually caring about making money exploring so I can rank up and never have to explore again). These are my current findings.

G: 359ls - 606ls
A 1295ls - 1572ls
T Tauri 100ls
K 400ls

These are by no means set in stone limits...just the limits from my own personal experience during this trip. As for other stars? Who the gently caress knows.

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

I concur. I'm also surprised at how many people listen for birdsong or whatever to detect ELW. I've never heard any of these mystical noises, but in my experience earth-likes are extremely easy to find by just looking at the system map. Every one I've found has had very visible oceans, land masses, and cloud cover. Very earth like. Anything with just blue underneath the cloud cover has been a water world, etc. I asked about terraformables because they're a variation that gives no visual cues, but it seems like everything else you can just see on the map

I have no clue what the poo poo is birdsong or water dripping or whatever and have never heard this poo poo and fully concur with this post.

e: the poo poo I have issues with is identifying water worlds, sometimes. I swear most of those fuckers look like rocky ice turds with some kind of watery atmosphere. Ammonia worlds seem to like me, however.

nippythefish fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 17, 2016

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Tippis posted:

What I've heard is that the game literally reruns stellar forge to generate the system map.

I really hope that's not true though because jesus thats so loving dumb

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
They could probably afford to just do it in the background on PC but maybe they aren't doing it because of console.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sundowner posted:

i mean the HCS guys got the voice actor for Elite's ship computer to do a pretty damned extensive voice pack so it actually syncs pretty naturally with the game anyway.

gently caress, I just watched a demo for the Verity VA pack and it's really tempting to splurge and get this, but I get the feeling the novelty of talking to my computer while I play Elite will get old relatively fast. Also, I'll get helluh looks from my housemates while I'm playing.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

AndyElusive posted:

gently caress, I just watched a demo for the Verity VA pack and it's really tempting to splurge and get this, but I get the feeling the novelty of talking to my computer while I play Elite will get old relatively fast. Also, I'll get helluh looks from my housemates while I'm playing.

i've been using VA with the free and versatile KICS 3 and now 4 for a couple of months now... honestly I don't notice the voice - in fact i notice it when it's not there. it's just integrated into my playstyle, all my non-essential controls are voice commands and it's nice getting a little bit of feedback from the voice pack.

the great thing about these packs is they come with loads of nifty commands that... yeah you could do them manually or program autohotkey or whatever but saying something like "favour weapons, shields" and having the "AI" dump 4 pips to weapons and 2 into shields is way cool.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Tippis posted:

Just to be inconsistent (or consistently contrarian :D), I'd love a way to control the system (or even star) map from a tablet companion app. If nothing else to (mostly) eliminate the loading times.

You may want to check out Power Grid, then. It's actually not bad, but not something I personally felt like using once the novelty wore off - you can configure your own set of buttons and things, and users have made a bunch of free themes for various games (I used the Mechwarrior and Elite Dangerous ones, for the most part, with my own tweaks). I was able to stuff the entire 'Request Landing' procedure into a single button-press, for example.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Sundowner posted:

Oh it's absolutely about showmanship above all else. I think there are a select few who fly FA off and are a veritable threat to even the best pilots but I there's something about it that just feels so great when it does work because you do feel like you are in total control of your ship or at least responsible for every maneuver. I want to learn to be able to fly with it mostly off but I feel like it would be better with two sticks rather than a stick and throttle. It sucks not having every DOF on an axis and the only way around it with my HOTAS is to use shift modifiers to say put lateral and vertical thrust on the T.Flight's throttle slider but that limits you to only being able to really use one at a time. It sucks having to try and do fine grain movements with a button.
From a couple of pages back but, does anyone else here just fly FA-off because it feels awesome and more like you're piloting an actual spaceship? I'm not a great pilot and would instantly die against a human player, but the challenge of landing, and the freedom of drifting around with FA-off is just awesome to me for some reason. I have a feeling it might make me sick in VR though, it's impossible to cancel your rotation completely so you're always moving except when you first drop frameshift.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Zaardvark posted:

You may want to check out Power Grid, then. It's actually not bad, but not something I personally felt like using once the novelty wore off - you can configure your own set of buttons and things, and users have made a bunch of free themes for various games (I used the Mechwarrior and Elite Dangerous ones, for the most part, with my own tweaks). I was able to stuff the entire 'Request Landing' procedure into a single button-press, for example.

Maybe. I looked at it and it mostly seemed to be just that: a set of buttons. What I'm looking for is actual in-game panel integration that reflects what's on those holographic screens and, as mentioned perhaps most compellingly, the two map screens. I'm guessing that you'd need an inordinate amount of trickery to get those to appear in the app, to say nothing of having the input from them affect the game directly (since you can't really control the map screens without… well… being on the map screens, which would defeat the purpose)?

On a completely different note, can someone with some actual astronomical insight explain why on earth there are so many neutron stars and black holes nestled in among all the B-class stars in the cluster by the Omega nebula? It seems like every other system has at least one (and often two or three) of them. :aaa:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

nippythefish posted:

I have no clue what the poo poo is birdsong or water dripping or whatever and have never heard this poo poo and fully concur with this post.

e: the poo poo I have issues with is identifying water worlds, sometimes. I swear most of those fuckers look like rocky ice turds with some kind of watery atmosphere. Ammonia worlds seem to like me, however.

The sounds are real, I was wrong. :cripes: I just used them to confirm an earth-like world I wasn't sure of.

The problem is it's not loving birdsong at all. It's the sound of of one large bird calling slowly and softly, and it doesn't play until you've left the planet selected for like 15 seconds. I don't know how anyone found this, and anyone going around just saying "listen for birdsong/chirping it's easy" needs to be taken out back and dealt with harshly. Words have meanings and this sounds nothing like either of those loving things :argh: I could have saved so much time...

Edit: I still can't hear the loving bubbles or whatever that supposedly denote water worlds, but if there's no bird it's not an ELW so I don't care.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 18, 2016

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

A page late but I prefer this setup for the T. Flight Hotas X:

Uses three different shift modifiers that are actually pretty logical, and you get most of the needed commands. Only time I use the keyboard is for using the Galaxy Map.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

The sounds are real, I was wrong. :cripes: I just used them to confirm an earth-like world I wasn't sure of.

The problem is it's not loving birdsong at all. It's the sound of of one large bird calling slowly and softly, and it doesn't play until you've left the planet selected for like 15 seconds. I don't know how anyone found this, and anyone going around just saying "listen for birdsong/chirping it's easy" needs to be taken out back and dealt with harshly. Words have meanings and this sounds nothing like either of those loving things :argh: I could have saved so much time...

Edit: I still can't hear the loving bubbles or whatever that supposedly denote water worlds, but if there's no bird it's not an ELW so I don't care.

Hmm, I guess I'll check it out tonight. I listen to music while exploring, so I'm not sure why I'd do this very often. Also, this is where I complain about immersion breaking bullshit or something, because the idea of sounds identifying planets to a pilot is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Daztek posted:

I used this as starter

Any chance of a diagram for a Fly 5?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

nippythefish posted:

K stars suck. I've only found a single terraformable on this current trip under a K, and it was at 400 ls away from the star. K's don't spawn inhabitable planets very well, I think.
I've been writing down distances I've found terraformables this trip (because I'm finally actually caring about making money exploring so I can rank up and never have to explore again). These are my current findings.

G: 359ls - 606ls
A 1295ls - 1572ls
T Tauri 100ls
K 400ls

These are by no means set in stone limits...just the limits from my own personal experience during this trip. As for other stars? Who the gently caress knows.

A lot of the planets around K stars seem to be too small to be terraformable, so that could be why they're rare. I usually have found terraformable planets around K stars at around 250 - 300ls. A thing to consider when looking for the habitable zone is how much the size and mass of the star differs from Sol. If the difference is small, the habitable zone is going to be closer to 500ls.

Those sounds are really quiet ambient sounds, so they are really hard to notice unless you're going out of your way to listen for them.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Rectus posted:

Those sounds are really quiet ambient sounds, so they are really hard to notice unless you're going out of your way to listen for them.

It also turns out, they are determined by mouse-over, not by selection or anything else. In fact, selecting a body often seems to keep them from playing at all.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Tippis posted:

It also turns out, they are determined by mouse-over, not by selection or anything else. In fact, selecting a body often seems to keep them from playing at all.

And (99% sure) the sounds are in the music channel, so if you have Elite's music turned off because you watch movies or listen to podcasts or stuff while exploring you won't hear it either.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Natsuumi posted:

And (99% sure) the sounds are in the music channel, so if you have Elite's music turned off because you watch movies or listen to podcasts or stuff while exploring you won't hear it either.

Yup. I think is the main part of why I'd never noticed anything like it: I had music turned off to make it easier to do planetary exploration. :v:

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

The problem is it's not loving birdsong at all. It's the sound of of one large bird calling slowly and softly, and it doesn't play until you've left the planet selected for like 15 seconds. I don't know how anyone found this, and anyone going around just saying "listen for birdsong/chirping it's easy" needs to be taken out back and dealt with harshly. Words have meanings and this sounds nothing like either of those loving things :argh: I could have saved so

Please have mercy.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Sad King Billy posted:

Please have mercy.

:black101:

Tippis posted:

Natsuumi posted:

These are valuable insights that we should save somewhere

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I caught the exploration bug

There was a third sun that I couldn't fit into the pic, but not as close as these two

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So with the community goals this week
https://community.elitedangerous.com/communitygoals

quote:

Terraforming Vennik 1:

Nixon Enterprise, Vennik – Deliver Land Enrichment Systems to Nixon Enterprise in the Vennik system to support the terraforming of Vennik 1.
Anyone know of any good sources for enrichment systems?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

slidebite posted:

So with the community goals this week
https://community.elitedangerous.com/communitygoals

Anyone know of any good sources for enrichment systems?

This is from eddb.io - the last column is distance from Vennik.

The nearest systems will probably dry out fast.

Lima fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 18, 2016

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

HIP 75446, Crowley Enterprise. Eddb.io states 6199 supply.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

What do you get from community goals?

Is it worth doing for a new player?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Fried Watermelon posted:

Tons of money.

Yes.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Fried Watermelon posted:

From Galnet, I linked it in my earlier post.

quote:

That's up to you to decide. Some seem to be better than others.

Lima posted:

This is from eddb.io - the last column is distance from Vennik.

The nearest systems will probably dry out fast.

Thanks, I just grabbed some from HIP6999 was able to put 160 in my python, but I think the rewards are pretty lame so I don't think I'm really going to pursue it. Can make way more money doing other things like killing bad guys.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 18, 2016

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Fried Watermelon posted:

It depends on certain circumstances....number one being the number of people participating. If there's a poo poo ton of people playing FDev's little game, they're more likely to keep it going. If there are very few people, they'll kill it sooner. The longer it goes and the more people that are participating, the higher the rewards. The rewards listed in slidebite's screenshot are poo poo....but they'll grow more substantial each time a new tier is reached. The devs will kill a community goal on a lower tier if it's not popular, and will keep it going if it's more popular.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Surely the one asking for rare goods would be better for new players?

Fewer contributors, less starting capital needed, and you don't have to compete with the whales and their massive cargo ships.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Even if you're new and can't really participate much or don't want to bother, at least opt in and do a load or two. Even if you only bring a couple tons of terrain extractors there, you'll get into the 99% tier, which is usually a fair bit more than nothing. 75k credits isn't a bad payoff for basically just flying there once, and the reward will rise higher without any particular effort on your part if the goal catches on.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

From Galnet, I linked it in my earlier post.

That's up to you to decide. Some seem to be better than others.

Thanks, I just grabbed some from HIP6999 was able to put 160 in my python, but I think the rewards are pretty lame so I don't think I'm really going to pursue it. Can make way more money doing other things like killing bad guys.

The rewards go up every time a new tier gets reached. The top rewards will be tens of millions once it gets there.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh really? So the tiers themselves increase? I didn't know that.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
So I'm just getting back into the game for the first time since slightly after the release of the factions(I spent like a week or less dicking around with it, so basically no advancement)
At the moment I'm out in Jutenheim with this vulture loadout and 9 mil credits to my name:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/14A5D4D3C5A4D3C1e1e0404050m4e2b2o0069.Iw19kA==.Aw19kA==?bn=Eryxias%27s

Any tips for getting back into the game?
I already crashed and burned one vulture already in an asteroid belt to two clippers and another ship I didn't identify.
I assume part of my problem is getting used to the controls again, but any other tips or suggestions would be great.

I've also got 96 cargo Type 6 for hauling if that is the good money maker these days.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

Oh really? So the tiers themselves increase? I didn't know that.

It's the reason why one of the Christmas CGs (the one which gifted new players new ships) ended up giving something silly like 100 million on the top-tier after we went to town on it. Also the new ship got upgraded to a Viper Mk. 4 thanks to our effort.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Eryxias posted:

So I'm just getting back into the game for the first time since slightly after the release of the factions(I spent like a week or less dicking around with it, so basically no advancement)
At the moment I'm out in Jutenheim with this vulture loadout and 9 mil credits to my name:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/14A5D4D3C5A4D3C1e1e0404050m4e2b2o0069.Iw19kA==.Aw19kA==?bn=Eryxias%27s

Any tips for getting back into the game?
I already crashed and burned one vulture already in an asteroid belt to two clippers and another ship I didn't identify.
I assume part of my problem is getting used to the controls again, but any other tips or suggestions would be great.

I've also got 96 cargo Type 6 for hauling if that is the good money maker these days.

You can head to new goonspace. Check the PGS thread to find out where it is. But if you're in Jotunheim, a great place to Hazres is right next door in Beta-1 Tucanae. Adams Orbital is quite close to a hazres, or high-res if you don't want to get in too much trouble.

Another thing to keep in mind when hunting is to avoid taking on wings. Sometimes there's a "stealth" wing, and you can sort of spot those if you see some ships flying in formation, but one won't be identified in a wing. Make sure to not have any cargo, including limpets, when bounty hunting. Of course wait to see if a target is wanted before shooting them unless you want everyone in the area to start killing you.

Now, your ship can use some tweaking. You do not need a cargo hold in a vulture. It's a combat ship, not a cargo vessel. You will need that extra power to make sure you don't die.

I currently use this as my vulture:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/24A5A4A3D5A4D3C1e1e000m0404B22b2o6625.AwRj4zyA.Aw1-AjJxA===

Set your priorities correctly and disable the cargo hatch. FSD Interdictor and fuel scoop are useless when your hardpoints are out. There is also no dishonor if you bite off a little more than you can chew and get out of there as fast as you can. This is why changing the FSD to a different priority than '1' is a bad idea, as it takes a few seconds to charge up. That 10 seconds can mean the difference between getting out of there and needing to pay the insurance cost to replace your ship.

If you need to know what to upgrade NOW, get the A-class FSD. You can hold off on the thrusters for a bit, and the military armor can be the last thing you upgrade. The worst part of the vulture is the jump range, and also the power use. But it's a great ship, one that I am not going to sell even when I can afford to outfit a FAS.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
Ahh excellent tips, thanks!

I found some trading tools and figured I'd play space trucker for a little bit to up my funds for any upgrades I may need for the vulture.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Eryxias posted:

Ahh excellent tips, thanks!

I found some trading tools and figured I'd play space trucker for a little bit to up my funds for any upgrades I may need for the vulture.

Been doing this myself in a Cobra to get my monies up a bit. I don't remember the name of the system but when I played yesterday, there was one that sold enrichment systems that was pretty close to the drop off point for Wilkes station. With only about 4 or 5 jumps extra each way you can get a fairly decent loop going on those two community events. When I get back from work tonight I can add them in here.

If you find them yourself, just be aware that there is a deadzone in the middle of the fatsest route that you can't refuel in, and there are a couple of little neutron stars that will fry you pretty quickly if you don't adjust your course quickly enuough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I'm a new person with the lovely starter ship and some basic mining stuff, are there any rich systems near the starting area?

• Locked thread