Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Here's the rub: Microsoft wants to move everyone and everything to UWP, and deprecate Win32.

The only way they will ever get people to stop using Win32 is to rip it out, and there is no way that will happen since their enterprise users would revolt.

Unless they do something like drop it on the home versions and only support legacy Win32 on the pro and/or enterprise versions or something like that.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
loving UWP is MS bringing all the formerly console exclusive titles to PC as begrudgingly as it can. Its like getting a child to finally to do their chores and cleaning but they go about it making as much noise and ruckus as possible.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Gfwl 2.0

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Here's the rub: Microsoft wants to move everyone and everything to UWP, and deprecate Win32.

In short, UWP is supposed to allow Microsoft to compile a program once and have it run on everything. But there are so many layers of abstraction, security, and state switching required, yes that's right, REQUIRED that when the entire point of PC gaming is to run as leanly as possible to squeeze every last drop out of your hardware, UWP's overhead is completely unacceptable.

Reposting a relevent video explaining UWP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJF-T8-qXUM&t=3128s

This is a good video

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Gosh, I can't wait to run every game through a crappier and more restricted take on JVM. That's just vulgar, Microsoft.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Microsoft is forever like the parents in the 90s Apple Jack commercials. Bafflingly confused and infinity uncool.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

:same:

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Update on coil whine 980ti. Contacted the PC company that built it and they said I could send it back, so dropped it in and left with them to test (It was a reference (I think) Zotac card. They tested it and said we couldn't notice anything using Valley Benchmark - I said I noticed it in WoW and 3D Mark (Wow for some reason seemed to be the worst).

They went off to try 3D mark and a day or so later the ticket was updated to say fault confirmed and they sent me a grand new Gigabyte Windforce etc 980Ti. Cracked that open and popped it in last night.... to hear exactly the same noises in games.

Now its not exactly *that* bad (not sure I could record it well enough with my phone) but I'm starting to wonder if I'm just being a fussy baby or if its something else. PSU is a Corsair RM750 so that should be ok, and the noise only happens when 3d things are running like games. Can't decide whether to bother them again or just swallow it for now. Its likely I'll get a pascal next year and part of me is wondering if all these high end GPUs just have this now.

I may just be noticing it as this PCs fans are probably much quieter than my old one.

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib
Are we still doing GPU lists? Cause I took ten minutes to remember and write down my systems:

1996: Pentium 166 MHz MMX with some Diamond 2MB card. I later upgraded with a first gen Voodoo with a passthrough cable. Didn't take perfectly and had some color inversion bug, but I could play 3D stuff! It was unbelievable at the time since I was coming from the SNES.
1999: Celeron 400 MHz with a Nvidia Riva TNT. Really good system, I was just pissed that I missed buying the Celeron 300A and overclocking it since I read in a magazine it was piss-easy. The Riva TNT was an excellent card though, never a problem with it and ran everything I tossed at it.
2001: Pentium 4 1.5 GHz (Willamette) with a Geforce 2 GTS. I later upgraded this with a Radeon 9500 Pro. Was much more satisfied with the Radeon that was only marginally less powerful than the best GPUs of the time.
2004: Pentium 4 3.4 GHz (the lovely Prescott) with a Radeon X700. In retrospect, i should've bought an AMD CPU for both PCs I had in the Pentium 4 era, but being a teenager then I didn't know better. Later upgraded the GPU on the Prescott to a Nvidia 8800 GT. This was probably the system I was least satisfied with and I couldn't get anything to run good.
2008: Core 2 Duo (Wolfdale) with a Radeon 4850. Great system coming from the Prescott. Was very satisfied with the Radeon, definitely the best card at the time.
2011: i5-2500K with a Radeon 6950 2GB. Upgraded to a Nvidia GTX 970 in spring of 2015 for Witcher 3, and still using the upgraded PC to this day. The 6950 disappointed me since it was loud as hell and visibly heated up the room. Should've gone Nvidia back then. When I installed the 970 I was amazed at the difference and my room became quiet and cool all of the sudden.

Christ I had a lot of GPUs over the years. Might be misremembering something but I'm pretty sure everything checks out.

Ok thread, prepare for this infodump!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I used Macs back in the day, a Macintosh LC II was my first :allears:

2001: My first PC was a Pentium 4 Prescott with a GeForce3 Ti200.
2003: I upgraded to a 9700 Pro which was awesome at the time.
2005: A Radeon X1600 XT which I regretted.
2008: A GeForce 8800 GTS, the G92 version with 512MB of VRAM, what a card. :allears:
2011: A Radeon HD 6970, a nice card that lasted me a long time, done in by a failed PSU damaging it so that it started showing artifacts in games all the time.
2015: My current GTX 970, it was a real treat moving on to it after the 6970.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Nobody cares about your list of old GPUs. Just like nobody cares about your 3DMark scores. You can stop posting them. (please)

Don Lapre posted:

Coil whine is total lottery. you may rma and get a card with worse coil whine or more coil whine. You can try limiting FPS or over or underclocking a little more.
Blackfyre, did you try any of these solutions?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

td4guy posted:

Nobody cares about your list of old GPUs. Just like nobody cares about your 3DMark scores. You can stop posting them. (please)

Blackfyre, did you try any of these solutions?

That's a lot of nobody

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

PerrineClostermann posted:

That's a lot of nobody

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Blackfyre posted:

Update on coil whine 980ti. Contacted the PC company that built it and they said I could send it back, so dropped it in and left with them to test (It was a reference (I think) Zotac card. They tested it and said we couldn't notice anything using Valley Benchmark - I said I noticed it in WoW and 3D Mark (Wow for some reason seemed to be the worst).

They went off to try 3D mark and a day or so later the ticket was updated to say fault confirmed and they sent me a grand new Gigabyte Windforce etc 980Ti. Cracked that open and popped it in last night.... to hear exactly the same noises in games.

Now its not exactly *that* bad (not sure I could record it well enough with my phone) but I'm starting to wonder if I'm just being a fussy baby or if its something else. PSU is a Corsair RM750 so that should be ok, and the noise only happens when 3d things are running like games. Can't decide whether to bother them again or just swallow it for now. Its likely I'll get a pascal next year and part of me is wondering if all these high end GPUs just have this now.

I may just be noticing it as this PCs fans are probably much quieter than my old one.

Cap your fps. My 970 whines horrendously on loading screens when it hits 300fps or higher and at 2000fps it sounds like it might explode. 60-240 in actual games it's quiet as a mouse so I cap at 60fps, my monitor's refresh rate.

Wow is an old game so it easily hits higher framerates.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Godspeed 980 Ti Hybrid on SA-Mart :patriot:

You guys need to sell video cards I can afford.
I'm hoping that as soon as the HTC Vive's ship there will be a ton of <970s at firesale prices.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Is hard crashing to a grey/brownish coloured screen a symptom of the supposedly busted recent nvidia drivers? Because it's happened twice in the last couple hours. And only while watching netflix.

Odd.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

This right here is exactly why no one should be interested in anything game related MS is doing on PC at the moment.

The last time MS had a PC game platform/framework, they quietly killed it after it failed to make an impact (exactly the way they did with their portable music player platform, twice. And even when it was operational, it was the most temperamental pain in the rear end to deal with.

We have been down this road before with MS. And it will likely end the same way.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Lowen SoDium posted:

This right here is exactly why no one should be interested in anything game related MS is doing on PC at the moment.

The last time MS had a PC game platform/framework, they quietly killed it after it failed to make an impact (exactly the way they did with their portable music player platform, twice. And even when it was operational, it was the most temperamental pain in the rear end to deal with.

We have been down this road before with MS. And it will likely end the same way.

Agreed here, when I got BioShock 2 way back and it used GFWL, I routinely had to rip and reinstall the whole GFWL client because it would randomly gently caress up during an update and not let me sign in or connect to their servers :argh: So glad Steam basically took over, it's been such a nice change to not have to worry about a Steam client update completely hosing my ability to play.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
I've limited FPS to 60 and it still happens, to be honest even on like Witcher 3 I don't get it in the start menu or loading screens etc only when the game proper starts. Happens on 3d Mark even when the FPS drop too.

Part of me thinks its me being an idiot.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Lowen SoDium posted:

This time it will be different because,

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

No, it only terminates the rights of the purchased party.
It definitely terminates rights for both Intel and AMD as a result of acquisition.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
The last good (PC) game Microsoft had a hand in was Age of Empires 2

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Yep, you ignore it and it dies. We've been here before. Microsoft isn't going to be killing Win32 just so they can monopolize the games market or anything ludicrous like that.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

xthetenth posted:

Yep, you ignore it and it dies. We've been here before. Microsoft isn't going to be killing Win32 just so they can monopolize the games market or anything ludicrous like that.

*cough*windows10*cough*

Satya Nadella is cold-blooded and taking no prisoners, Anyone who works in IT and has to support computers resents the gently caress out of Microsoft right now (even more so than usual), you can quote me on that. They will force Windows 10 on you even if it does things like murder your RAID array.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
The 6970 that Ozz81 very kindly sent me to replace my busted 560ti arrived but I'm having a tough time getting it up and running.

When I seat it and plug in the power cables my PC will power on but it won't post (no beep) and I get no signal to my screen. I've tried two screens and two cables.

I have a 750w cooler master PSU and a MSI P67a-g45 mobo. Ran DDU before installing the 6970.

My PSU does have 6 and 8 pin plugs but it's the 6+2 kind rather than a single 8 pin plug.

Not really certain where to go from here!

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Some (?) 6970s have a switch to toggle between BIOSes. Try that.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Seamonster posted:

Some (?) 6970s have a switch to toggle between BIOSes. Try that.

Yeah I've tried both.

I also notice when the 6970 is in my keyboard lights don't come on like they usually do but when the GT220 I'm temporarily using is in it works fine (as well as boots to windows).

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Icept posted:

The last good (PC) game Microsoft had a hand in was Age of Empires 2

I dunno Crimson Skies was pretty good.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Sundowner posted:

The 6970 that Ozz81 very kindly sent me to replace my busted 560ti arrived but I'm having a tough time getting it up and running.

When I seat it and plug in the power cables my PC will power on but it won't post (no beep) and I get no signal to my screen. I've tried two screens and two cables.

I have a 750w cooler master PSU and a MSI P67a-g45 mobo. Ran DDU before installing the 6970.

My PSU does have 6 and 8 pin plugs but it's the 6+2 kind rather than a single 8 pin plug.

Not really certain where to go from here!

I emailed you to check a couple things but might as well post here too :)

- Display out: Which ones have you tried so far? HDMI, DP, DVI? Do they all do the same thing?
- Does your PSU only have one set of 6/8 pin cables? Did you try the molex to 6/8 pin cables that I sent with it?
- Worst case, have you tried clearing CMOS? BIOS update?

Let me know if you still have trouble, I tested it in a spare desktop before shipping and it was all working (backup AMD Phenom PC with an 800W Antec PSU). I can't imagine it would be a power issue, unless the unit you're using is 5+ years old and/or on its last legs. The GT220 doesn't use external power AFAIK but that's the only other thing I can think of.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 18, 2016

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ozz81 posted:

- Display out: Which ones have you tried so far? HDMI, DP, DVI? Do they all do the same thing?
- Does your PSU only have one set of 6/8 pin cables? Did you try the molex to 6/8 pin cables that I sent with it?

Let me know if you still have trouble, I tested it in a spare desktop before shipping and it was all working (backup AMD Phenom PC with an 800W Antec PSU). I can't imagine it would be a power issue, unless the unit you're using is 5+ years old and/or on its last legs. The GT220 doesn't use external power AFAIK but that's the only other thing I can think of.

With a motherboard that old, I would be checking for a BIOS update. Newer video cards have more issues in older boards for some reason.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Ozz81 posted:

HDMI is the only option I have on my monitor and TV so I just tried those with two different cables.

The PSU actually has tons of the 6/8 cables, 4 or 5 I believe.

I did just finish BIOS (reset and updater) stuff with no success.

The PCI port works fine with the GT220 so I don't think it's that. The 220 works in both PCIE 16 slots but the 6970 and 560ti are both too big to fit in the bottom slot to test that.

Edit: I did try the molex adapters, no joy but I also don't have enough molex for both adapters. I have 3 so I tried converting molex to the 8 pin.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 18, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

*cough*windows10*cough*

Satya Nadella is cold-blooded and taking no prisoners, Anyone who works in IT and has to support computers resents the gently caress out of Microsoft right now (even more so than usual), you can quote me on that. They will force Windows 10 on you even if it does things like murder your RAID array.

Yeah, they'll do that for major poo poo like Windows 10 adoption (and more importantly getting people off 7 and 8). That's the future of one of their two main products, and MS is incapable of moving without pissing people off. Killing something huge like Win32 over something comparatively small like gaming? Gamers are more self-important than MS is tone-deaf and shortsighted. I'm pretty sure the goal there is to make the walled garden experience available for those who use it because they're cargo-culting.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Ozz81 posted:

unless the unit you're using is 5+ years old and/or on its last legs.

I think this is the likely culprit unless my motherboard itself is faulty but other components work fine, both PCI-E slots will work with the GT220 so I have to imagine it's that the 6970 isn't getting enough juice.

This is my specific PSU but I bought it at the tail end of 2011, so yeah about 4 years old now... http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/gx-series/gx-750w/

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Win32? Not gonna go away, but I could see DirectX not getting any more improvements, all the new features and improvements being exclusive to the UWP APIs, or keeping DirectX but only allowing UWP apps to use the newer version of the API.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Sundowner posted:

HDMI is the only option I have on my monitor and TV so I just tried those with two different cables.

The PSU actually has tons of the 6/8 cables, 4 or 5 I believe.

I did just finish BIOS (reset and updater) stuff with no success.

The PCI port works fine with the GT220 so I don't think it's that. The 220 works in both PCIE 16 slots but the 6970 and 560ti are both too big to fit in the bottom slot to test that.

Edit: I did try the molex adapters, no joy but I also don't have enough molex for both adapters. I have 3 so I tried converting molex to the 8 pin.

Hmm, I'm at a loss - for the 6970 the power requirement is minimum 34A on the 12V rail, maybe it's a power issue but looks like your unit should handle it. What other hardware do you have in your system? All other power to the board is connected, right? (including 4/8 pin power by the CPU, below in red)

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 18, 2016

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Ozz81 posted:

Hmm, I'm at a loss - for the 6970 the power requirement is minimum 34A on the 12V rail, maybe it's a power issue but looks like your unit should handle it. What other hardware do you have in your system? All other power to the board is connected, right? (including 4/8 pin power by the CPU, below in red)

Just had a look. There is one of two cables plugged in to the 4/8 pin... I can see now that one of the 4-slot pins has a little plastic cover on it.

Please don't tell me I've been running my PC this many years with gimped power or something equally stupid? :geno:

edit: some pics, sorry for the dust i don't have some compressed air handy. i noticed this had two pins out from the main PSU cable...

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 18, 2016

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Not at all - I had an old Asus board like that, you can remove the other 4 pin cover and plug in an 8 pin. It was sort of a backwards-compatible thing for when older boards only needed the 4 pin connector, then newer ones needed more juice so they'd put the 8 pin on with or without a little cover on half the pins. Give it a shot, pop the little plastic cover off, plug in an 8 pin and see if she boots :)

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Ozz81 posted:

Not at all - I had an old Asus board like that, you can remove the other 4 pin cover and plug in an 8 pin. It was sort of a backwards-compatible thing for when older boards only needed the 4 pin connector, then newer ones needed more juice so they'd put the 8 pin on with or without a little cover on half the pins. Give it a shot, pop the little plastic cover off, plug in an 8 pin and see if she boots :)

check my edit above, might as well kill two birds with one stone if possible (reinstalled my gt220 in the meantime so i could actually use the PC to solve the issue heh so i'll need to dump the drivers again before installing the 6970)

edit: doesn't matter, I plugged the extra pin in by the CPU and no dice. Same thing is happening.. The PC power on but no post/boot screen and pressing the power buttom shuts it down instantly.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 18, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Interesting, thanks. The 2001 agreement says that either party can terminate the agreement completely in the case of a change of control (6.3(b)7). The 2009 agreement says that it automatically terminates in that case (5.2(c)). I'm assuming that the 2009 one is the most recent.

Of course, the reality is that AMD's new owner and Intel would immediately create an identical licensing agreement because they're both in big poo poo without it. (AMD also managed to wiggle around this when they spun out their fabs, but I don't remember the details of it and they had the EC antitrust stuff as leverage at the time.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Sinestro posted:

Win32? Not gonna go away, but I could see DirectX not getting any more improvements, all the new features and improvements being exclusive to the UWP APIs, or keeping DirectX but only allowing UWP apps to use the newer version of the API.

It's why Vulkan is our hope...