Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

I'd quite fancied a 3DS for a while, so bit the bullet a few weeks ago and got the New 3DS (not XL). Some thoughts and questions :

- I was sure that the 3D feature would be a gimmick, however in the games I've played (Zelda:MM, Mario 3D, Pokemon X) it's excellent and definitely adds to the experience (Mario especially).

- I was looking for a nice case that was less child-oriented and a bit more serious, I got this : https://www.sfbags.com/collections/nintendo-3ds-cases/products/nintendo-3ds-xl-cityslicker-case and it's excellent.

- Battery life isn't the greatest, is there any upgrade available or tips to save on battery?

- Does anyone have a charging cradle, and is it any good? Does it use the small exposed contacts either side of the charging port? If so it seems like a good idea.

- I liked Steamworld dig, is Steamworld Heist worth the £15?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BigHandsVince posted:

- Does anyone have a charging cradle, and is it any good? Does it use the small exposed contacts either side of the charging port? If so it seems like a good idea.

Yes and yes. Make sure you get an N3DS cradle and not an XL-sized one though.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

BigHandsVince posted:

I'd quite fancied a 3DS for a while, so bit the bullet a few weeks ago and got the New 3DS (not XL). Some thoughts and questions :

- I was sure that the 3D feature would be a gimmick, however in the games I've played (Zelda:MM, Mario 3D, Pokemon X) it's excellent and definitely adds to the experience (Mario especially).

- I was looking for a nice case that was less child-oriented and a bit more serious, I got this : https://www.sfbags.com/collections/nintendo-3ds-cases/products/nintendo-3ds-xl-cityslicker-case and it's excellent.

- Battery life isn't the greatest, is there any upgrade available or tips to save on battery?

How much room does that case leave your new 3ds? Looking for a 3ds case myself and am finding most cases designed for the xl in mind.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Lemon-Lime posted:

It takes all of ten seconds to look up the release dates before making a post, jivjov.

I made a mistake and a poor assumption. I admitted my mistake. I can't go back in time and look up release dates a day after I made the original post.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

BigHandsVince posted:

I find the best way if you've got more bag or pocket space is to get a usb cable charger and a portable battery. Carry around one more cable and you can charge your phone too!

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Bonobos posted:

How much room does that case leave your new 3ds? Looking for a 3ds case myself and am finding most cases designed for the xl in mind.

The case I got is for the N3DS (Not the XL), if you follow the link, there's an choice between N3DSXL and N3DS! Why they didn't make that more obvious in reviews, I don't know. Great service from that company (I'm in UK).
The fit is nice, and there's not loads of extra pockets to bulk it up, just a small mesh pocket on the outside and 3 holsters for cards.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yes and yes. Make sure you get an N3DS cradle and not an XL-sized one though.

Thanks, Yes I will (if I can find a black one, Amazon only has white for some reason).

sharktamer posted:

I find the best way if you've got more bag or pocket space is to get a usb cable charger and a portable battery. Carry around one more cable and you can charge your phone too!

I've already got a portable battery in my rucksack and agree this is a good idea. Even playing in the house though the battery seems to run low pretty quick. Does disabling 3D improve battery? I'm going to disable WiFi and 3D and see if the results are better.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

BigHandsVince posted:

Does disabling 3D improve battery? I'm going to disable WiFi and 3D and see if the results are better.

Yes, you're totally on the right track. For max battery: disable wireless; disable autobrightness; turn brightness down as much as comfortable; and turn 3D off.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Bear in mind the charging cradle doesn't come with a charger, at least in Europe. It's essentially just a piece of plastic with some contacts that you plug a 3DS charger in so you can have the 3DS sit in it rather than having the cable plugged directly into the 3DS.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hm. If I trade in my old XL I can get a New 3DS XL for about 140-150 bucks. Mmmmmeh, I might start plucking away at bits and pieces, like the memory card, but I'm not quite sure I want to pull the trigger quite yet.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

charging cradles are important because the 3DS is notoriously needy and can become lonely when not held. The charging cradle makes it think it is being rocked in your soft, warm hands instead of discarded on a cold table or floor, extending its battery life and improving its performance due to its better mood.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
My 3DS will only enter sleep mode if I sing it a lullaby first.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
How much memory space does the New 3DS XL have? This is coming from someone who currently has a 4 GameBoy titles, 6 NES titles, Smash Bros. 3DS, Azure Striker Gunvolt, Shantae And The Pirate's Curse, and New Super Mario Bros. 2 all downloaded onto their current SD card/3DS system. I think I only have about 2,000 or so blocks left after all that, which isn't much at all data wise. For 3DS games, I'll be buying them from now on (if they're in cart form) but obviously for downloable only upcoming indie games (Timespinner and Omori as examples) and the SNES downloadable games, I'd like to know how much data I have to fit em. (And I'd probably be buying at least 7-8 SNES games I can think of off the top of my head that have been at least announced for Japan/inevitable to be released here soon)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

LemonLimeTime posted:

How much memory space does the New 3DS XL have? This is coming from someone who currently has a 4 GameBoy titles, 6 NES titles, Smash Bros. 3DS, Azure Striker Gunvolt, Shantae And The Pirate's Curse, and New Super Mario Bros. 2 all downloaded onto their current SD card/3DS system. I think I only have about 2,000 or so blocks left after all that, which isn't much at all data wise. For 3DS games, I'll be buying them from now on (if they're in cart form) but obviously for downloable only upcoming indie games (Timespinner and Omori as examples) and the SNES downloadable games, I'd like to know how much data I have to fit em. (And I'd probably be buying at least 7-8 SNES games I can think of off the top of my head that have been at least announced for Japan/inevitable to be released here soon)
I think it comes with 4GB, which is poo poo. Get a 16-32GB SD card and never worry about space again.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Shinjobi posted:

Hm. If I trade in my old XL I can get a New 3DS XL for about 140-150 bucks. Mmmmmeh, I might start plucking away at bits and pieces, like the memory card, but I'm not quite sure I want to pull the trigger quite yet.

Realize you have to have both the new machine and the old one in the same room if you want to transfer any of your data, you can't just pop the memory card out and put it in your new one

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

goferchan posted:

Realize you have to have both the new machine and the old one in the same room if you want to transfer any of your data, you can't just pop the memory card out and put it in your new one

dude it's really no problem just say "Nintendo doesn't have a unified and modern account system" three times into a mirror in a dark room on the last Tuesday of the month and fell Nintendo mystic Jivjov will appear to guide you through the arcane ritual of transferring your data with only one system

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I got my New 3DS because bae lost my original 3DS so I literally can't use my old account never mind transfer my data lol

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I got my New 3DS because bae lost my original 3DS so I literally can't use my old account never mind transfer my data lol

Your saves are lost but if you care about the games attached to the previous system you can call Nintendo and they will transfer the licenses to the new system.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

If I have a backup of my 3DS SD card and my device gets lost or stolen, can calling Nintendo set it up so that I can also restore my save data from that backup?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Your saves are lost but if you care about the games attached to the previous system you can call Nintendo and they will transfer the licenses to the new system.

I figured, but all I’m losing is a few indie games and FE:Awakening which I’m probably never going to play again because of Fates, so eh. Not worth the pain of trying to talk to Nintendo of Europe

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Spoderman posted:

If I have a backup of my 3DS SD card and my device gets lost or stolen, can calling Nintendo set it up so that I can also restore my save data from that backup?

I think that might work, yeah. The SD card process sometimes is picky about names, but if you don't do anything weird during the format/copy process it should be fine.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Monkey Fracas posted:

dude it's really no problem just say "Nintendo doesn't have a unified and modern account system" three times into a mirror in a dark room on the last Tuesday of the month and fell Nintendo mystic Jivjov will appear to guide you through the arcane ritual of transferring your data with only one system

It's not an arcane ritual; just call customer service and explain the situation.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

jivjov posted:

It's not an arcane ritual; just call customer service and explain the situation.

IT WORKED

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

jivjov posted:

phone calls are arcane rituals

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YCN-a0NsNk

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

alphys is right, friend

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

phone calls are arcane rituals

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

:golfclap:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I like SRPG's like Fire Emblem so I went ahead and picked up Stella Glow ontop of other things I was getting today because why not, it's had some rattle in the thread may as well try it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Do the ways of breaking Bravely Default include a salve maker throwing a dark bane + spamming shadowflare with the attack item amp on?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

SelenicMartian posted:

Do the ways of breaking Bravely Default include a salve maker throwing a dark bane + spamming shadowflare with the attack item amp on?

There are plenty of ways to break Bravely Default. That is......probably one of them.

My favorite was having one party member with maxed out Freelancer/Performer, and then devoting them to spamming My Hero and Mimic to give everyone 4 BP every other turn.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's all opinion of course, but I'd give up Fates (all three parts of it) and a future Fates/Awakening-esque FE if I were offered a new Stella Glow in return.

I think Stella Glow's a much better game than either 3DS FE game.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I think Stella Glow's a much better game than either 3DS FE game.

:yikes:

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

It never fails.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I enjoyed Awakening a lot and the ten or so hours I got of Fates on a JP copy. I'm picking up Fates in May. I'm not saying it to poo poo on FE. Stella Glow's got better graphics, music, story, characters, voice acting and gameplay though so. :shrug:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I enjoyed Awakening a lot and the ten or so hours I got of Fates on a JP copy. I'm picking up Fates in May. I'm not saying it to poo poo on FE. Stella Glow's got better graphics, music, story, characters, voice acting and gameplay though so. :shrug:

Fates is a lot better than awakening though.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Fates' gameplay is probably better than Glow's (haven't played SG), but if SG's plot is even halfway decent I can see people preferring it for that aspect.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
The only thing I remember from Stella Glow at this point is one of the characters was referred to as Cowtits numerous times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Having played (and enjoyed) both Fates and Stella Glow...Fates has much better gameplay. And is a lot more tasteful re: cringey fanservice. Stella Glow was fun and definitely has a better story than the cobbled together nonsense that is Fates's plot, but it's very much a sort of midcore SRPG without very much depth at all, while Fates has depth coming out of its ears.

e: If the person who designed the Tuning intro scenes did more of Stella Glow's visual design I would be singing its praises all over the goddamn internet, but alas

Also Tuning is trying to be Ar Tonelico so hard but completely misses the mark re: having any depth or character growth, you literally beat up their sadbrains with your sword