Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

It's because they channel their ki into their buttons duh

only chinese have ki idiot

edit wait no japanese too theyre just all dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Ryuga Death posted:

Is there a schedule for Final Round that shows what games are on what channel (besides the obvious SFV being on capcom's channel)?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jmcrofts posted:

The big question for SF5 this weekend is whether USA really is the strongest region right now, or if Japan is underestimating/understating their abilities.

From watching a shitload of streams, to me it seems like the best US players (Snake, Arturo, and Moons especially) have a stronger understanding of SF5 as a game. Japan seems much more practiced in the specifics though - on Daigo's stream you can see they all know the frame data of every single situation and what the best answer is (i.e. frame data off v-trigger cancels and other things that it seems like most players don't have down yet).

That's how Japan beats America usually, being better at answering unsafe/loose stuff with max damage, while not having their own setplay shenanigans answered in kind.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

dangerdoom volvo posted:

only chinese have ki idiot

edit wait no japanese too theyre just all dead

Koreans do too but they are also all dead, nerd

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'm rooting for americans because i follow them on twitter and watch them play each week but secretly i think my spirit animal is infiltration

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
https://www.twitch.tv/tekken is live now

https://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky for SFV teams whenever that starts

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I'd love to see LIJoe or Art or Snakeeyes or even someone like LPN or BJUnchained just go nuts and win the whole thing; even if an American doesn't win EVO, it'll be a great response to that age-old debate.

Jmcrofts posted:

The hypest moment of evo last year was the infiltration vs gamerbee counterpickfest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMz23Md1GhU

E: HEALING

That entire top 3 is still loving amazing; Infiltration getting stumped, Gamerbee's tear through top 8, the stick malfunction, GB's fiance looking for him, James Chen's tearful sendoff, the hug...what a great end to an EVO. :3:

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, that's true... I typically figured that Japan is better because of its stronger arcade scene but honestly I dunno why.

Cue someone saying it's because of Asian math superpowers in 3... 2... 1....

I think because in Japan, fighting games are like FPSes in the US. They are so ubiquitous and popular (Or were for a long chunk of time), that anyone who plays games has a fundamentally strong notion of what it takes win in those types of games. Like your average arcade goer in Japan is far, far more skilled than your average online scrub in the U.S. Again, this is mostly speculation but seeing things like Snake Eyez getting bopped by randoms in a Japanese arcade (Yes, I realize Snake Eyez plays on pad) backs my thoughts up a little.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

FanaticalMilk posted:

I think because in Japan, fighting games are like FPSes in the US. They are so ubiquitous and popular (Or were for a long chunk of time), that anyone who plays games has a fundamentally strong notion of what it takes win in those types of games. Like your average arcade goer in Japan is far, far more skilled than your average online scrub in the U.S. Again, this is mostly speculation but seeing things like Snake Eyez getting bopped by randoms in a Japanese arcade (Yes, I realize Snake Eyez plays on pad) backs my thoughts up a little.

I get what you're saying, although the comparison isn't the most apt one because fighting games are no where near as popular in Japan as FPSes are in the US. Japan is all about single player JRPGs and casual cellphone games that are more about grinding numbers than actual skill. But fighting games are probably the most popular competitive games in Japan, though, because they don't seem to gravitate towards FPS games like America or RTS games like Korea.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I feel like distance is a big thing too. The first daigo stream I caught was just 8 of the best sf players in Japan (in the world) hanging out,and that's probably not too hard to do somewhat often, but how often do you think, say, snakeeyez and lijoe are in the same room (or even within 500 miles) in a year?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
:lol::lol::lol: Spooky just called out Wolfkrone for ragequitting on stream

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Where's Pokken

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

bhsman posted:

Spooky is the best

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

ZenVulgarity posted:

Spooky is the best

It's his birthday, too, if you wanna say/tweet something to him.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

I get what you're saying, although the comparison isn't the most apt one because fighting games are no where near as popular in Japan as FPSes are in the US.

Yeah, that's why I added the "Or were at one time" cause they are definitely not at their late 90s peak.

Death Bot posted:

I feel like distance is a big thing too. The first daigo stream I caught was just 8 of the best sf players in Japan (in the world) hanging out,and that's probably not too hard to do somewhat often, but how often do you think, say, snakeeyez and lijoe are in the same room (or even within 500 miles) in a year?

And this too, if the entire US scene were able to play each other on a bi-weekly or monthly basis, I think the players would get a lot better a lot faster. The thing I worry about with Snake Eyez, is that outside of the NorCal guys, he hasn't really been backed into a corner in any of the WNFs. I feel like the minute he runs into a good player who knows how to deal with his bullshit, he'll start having problems that he hasn't had to overcome yet and won't be prepared for.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 18, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

bhsman posted:

When is Fchamp vs the Krone

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Gammatron 64 posted:

Nah, I have a lot of friends here who all go to an honest to God arcade so I'm good. To be fair, Xrd gets a lot of play too but that's the only anime game a lot of people are into. People are always like "hey, let's play BlazBlue!" then I buy the new BlazBlue and never actually wind up playing it, so I kinda stopped doing that.

However where I'm from, people really, really like ST and 3s so I'm sure it's hell on earth for y'all

For once, the US might actually have a chance because SF5 has no arcade release.

The point of what I said is to point out that things aren't all like your scene. You're talking about SF5 hate on SA as if it only applies here and "in MY scene it works like this", as if the goon hate here is all armchair stuff of people who aren't representative of the FGC as a whole.

Yeah its true, there are a bunch of people who like SF5 for a variety of reasons. I don't think they'd reach 3000 pre-registrants at EVO (or something like that?) without it being part of the case, and we don't need a reminder that that is the norm for the FGC at the moment. That doesn't mean that there couldn't be large sections of the FGC that turn out to locals/monthlies/majors that don't like SF5 for all of it's flubs. And there's nothing wrong with them voicing their opinion on SF5.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Where's Pokken

Yeah where's my Day 1 tourney for the newest biggest eSports game

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Ventana posted:

Yeah where's my Day 1 tourney for the newest biggest eSports game

It was yesterday in New York.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Jesus, over a thousand for SFV at Final Round. :stonk:

Ventana posted:

And there's nothing wrong with them voicing their opinion on SF5.

Completely fair; like that one goon (you?) said, the local preference seemed to go right back to the anime games, which is totally fine.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Just ignore the weirdos that said SF should've died after SF3 because not existing is better than existing

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

The reason why a lot of people whine about SF5 being popular despite being bad in their opinion is because to them (and I only half include myself since I can watch p much anything and be vaguely entertained), SF5 and SF4's push towards accessibility has reduced the scope to do cool poo poo that is visually interesting, games about frame traps and where baits are reduced to very specific circumstances are not. I think a lot of these people are hoping for SF5 to fail so people go and play old games that allow that or everyone jumps on Xrd or whatever. I think it just makes people sad when they hear the word shimmy used like it's something new and inventive when the majority of old games is about walking in and out of ranges in a way that's hard to react to, to bait stuff. This is a badly written post but I'm extra lazy right now.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
no it sums up why sf5 is limited as hell and super boring

Tae posted:

Just ignore the weirdos that said SF should've died after SF3 because not existing is better than existing

do you not await deaths sweet embrace or something

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Switch the voices to Mexican

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I know those people are dumb, but I think anyone is straight up hilariously bonkers if they think little timmy is going to move on to another fighting game if SFV fails instead of just not never playing a FG genre again. Like, at best they'll move on to MK or Smash Brothers.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

I'm pretty sure it's the same people who get sad that people like Bernie Sanders don't win elections. they really wish the world wasn't so full of poo poo

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
^^^^^ Basically, yeah, rip Bernie :(

brian posted:

I think a lot of these people are hoping for SF5 to fail so people go and play old games that allow that or everyone jumps on Xrd or whatever.

I know for me this is the case, but not in the sort of devious way that your post makes it look like and sound.

The thing is, for a lot of areas of the FGC, a LOT of people just flock to SF simply only because "it's the thing everyone is playing, right?". If you legit like SF5 (or 4, since it was the same there too), there isn't concern there, but it's incredibly disheartening to see all the time that people wish they could play something else but feel like they can't because of what is more or less a herd mentality. People ideally should just be able to play the games they want (Vsav, JoJos, whatever) and build a scene for that.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

brian posted:

The reason why a lot of people whine about SF5 being popular despite being bad in their opinion is because to them (and I only half include myself since I can watch p much anything and be vaguely entertained), SF5 and SF4's push towards accessibility has reduced the scope to do cool poo poo that is visually interesting, games about frame traps and where baits are reduced to very specific circumstances are not. I think a lot of these people are hoping for SF5 to fail so people go and play old games that allow that or everyone jumps on Xrd or whatever. I think it just makes people sad when they hear the word shimmy used like it's something new and inventive when the majority of old games is about walking in and out of ranges in a way that's hard to react to, to bait stuff. This is a badly written post but I'm extra lazy right now.

It's just grognard talk, if you'll allow a tabletop games analogy.

EDIT: And even if SF5 is what everyone is playing, it also has the potential to be a great gateway to other FGC games. I probably would never have cared about Guilty Gear enough to buy Xrd if not for Street Fighter stuff from guys like Best Friends Play and Maximilian.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Switch the voices to Mexican

:mexico:

brian
Sep 11, 2001

bhsman posted:

It's just grognard talk, if you'll allow a tabletop games analogy.

No I won't because I have no idea what you're talking about but if you're denigrating them for being mostly right it's a pretty despicable way to handle criticism

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

brian posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the same people who get sad that people like Bernie Sanders don't win elections. they really wish the world wasn't so full of poo poo

Sf5 is hillary, makes perfect sense

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

brian posted:

No I won't because I have no idea what you're talking about but if you're denigrating them for being mostly right it's a pretty despicable way to handle criticism

What is mostly right? All you said was cloud yellers hoping a game fails in hopes that they go into another, more involved game? You basically consider people liking a game you don't like a sin.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

brian posted:

Grognard is the French word for 'grumbler' and in tabletops refers to someone who plays older games, often with a negative connotation of "The only good games are the ones I played back in the day, all this new stuff is just poo poo." Which, depending on the game, may be true, but doesn't excuse giving people who enjoy it poo poo for, well, enjoying it. It's not a perfect analogy, and there are legitimate reasons for disliking SFV's scope, but it matched up better in my head so there. :v:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
SF5 is Donald Trump :getin:

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Jmcrofts posted:

It's making fighting games great again!!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Jmcrofts posted:

It's gonna pay my legal fees if I punch out a goon?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Sf5 is hillary, makes perfect sense

It's detractors are mostly re-hashing old, incorrect criticisms and mainly complain that it isn't as perfect as they perceive their preference to be? :v:

EDIT: Oh poo poo this got real very quickly :( RIP TBear

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

RIP TBear

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

What is incorrect about saying SFV has had a disastrous launch that turned away the very casual players it was aiming to attract, poo poo implementation of rollback netcode that might even poison the well for future fighting games, ridiculous native input delay that's far worse than any fighting game on the market including its own predecessor, hilarious ragequitting issues in ranked when their huge year long pro circuit explicitly has spaces on it for the highest online rankers, horrendous implementation of things that worked perfectly fine in SFIV (training mode loving resets its settings after a match, only 1P can select rematch/character select, etc)...

And that's not even getting into the actual gameplay.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

deadly_pudding posted:

It's gonna pay my legal fees if I punch out a goon?

Its characters have normal sized hands

brian
Sep 11, 2001

Tae posted:

What is mostly right? All you said was cloud yellers hoping a game fails in hopes that they go into another, more involved game? You basically consider people liking a game you don't like a sin.

Well I don't know if i've landed myself in a linguistic hickledypickledy situation or something because I'm having a hard time parsing both your post and my original post but I imagine what I mean is that all the things that SF5 supposedly does well in regards to accessibility and 'new approach'ing has all been done before and usually better in other games that aren't as successful because they don't trade off both the name and the post SF4 scene's almost comical ability to forgo taste in favour of chasing celebrity and financial reward, thus leading us to a situation where they can both be right in their dismissiveness and also still dicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Tae posted:

I know those people are dumb, but I think anyone is straight up hilariously bonkers if they think little timmy is going to move on to another fighting game if SFV fails instead of just not never playing a FG genre again. Like, at best they'll move on to MK or Smash Brothers.

I'm not sure if anyone is expecting a lot of players to flock to ST, Marvel 2, Melty and so on. A lot of grognards just don't want new players period and would rather sink their own ships than let stinkin' '09ers or '16ers onboard.

Ventana posted:

I know for me this is the case, but not in the sort of devious way that your post makes it look like and sound.

The thing is, for a lot of areas of the FGC, a LOT of people just flock to SF simply only because "it's the thing everyone is playing, right?". If you legit like SF5 (or 4, since it was the same there too), there isn't concern there, but it's incredibly disheartening to see all the time that people wish they could play something else but feel like they can't because of what is more or less a herd mentality. People ideally should just be able to play the games they want (Vsav, JoJos, whatever) and build a scene for that.

This is basically it - people get pissed off and bitter that games they don't like are popular and the games they do like are pretty much dead. I love vsav but it's like an act of congress to get people to play it.

Street Fighter is kind of like the WoW of competitive fighters as it more or less completely dominates the genre and makes it very difficult for other games to succeed and get popular. Getting good at a fighting game is a big time investment, and people just aren't willing to put time into a game with no competition. It really sucks, but that's how things are. It would be awesome if people played Virtua Fighter in the US, but it just isn't going to happen.

AnonSpore posted:

What is incorrect about saying SFV has had a disastrous launch that turned away the very casual players it was aiming to attract, poo poo implementation of rollback netcode that might even poison the well for future fighting games, ridiculous native input delay that's far worse than any fighting game on the market including its own predecessor, hilarious ragequitting issues in ranked when their huge year long pro circuit explicitly has spaces on it for the highest online rankers, horrendous implementation of things that worked perfectly fine in SFIV (training mode loving resets its settings after a match, only 1P can select rematch/character select, etc)...

And that's not even getting into the actual gameplay.

This things are all true, yes.