Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Maybe unrelated but nightclub can get super hosed up at front door sometimes and then be the back door van.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Skill revamp just got posted, looks...interesting

https://media.overkillsoftware.com/2016/03/mastermind.pdf

Prokhor Zakharov fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 18, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

:qq: posted:

YOU WANT FEEDBACK? GO gently caress YOURSELF WITH YOUR "IMPROVEMENTS"! GAME IS ALREADY NOTHING LIKE IT WAS RIGHT AFTER THE RELEASE AND YOU KEEP MAKING IT WORSE AND WORSE.
P.S.: They still won't read. They give no gently caress about community and only care about money.

So in the theoretical new skill regime, the infamy bonus is just flat four more points. Although now it looks like potentially every tree is a point hog instead of just Technician. :v:

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I don't think I like this too much as far as the new skill system goes, but hey, Stockholm Syndrome might finally do literally anything now!

E: Endurance is a hilarious grab bag of unrelated abilities.

E2: :siren: Mastermind now has both FAKs and Doc Bags as deployable options :siren:

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 18, 2016

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
You need to ace Combat Medic to get to Inspire ace. Beserker builds get hosed (presumably).

Did dominator get folded into something else, or can everyone shout down cops now? Hoping for the latter!

e: six-charge doc bags lmao. Uppers ace means FAKs now cheese reputation beyond reproach?

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 18, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Its most likely that the extra two charges in partners in crime is just a misprint as otherwise they already hosed up in trying to conceive three different paths for a skill tree to specialize into.

Also according to that image, rifleman was taken from technician. Does this mean its entirely just deployables and faster drills now?

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 18, 2016

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

I'm rather leery about them reducing the total number of skill points we get by 20, then restricting build flexibility further. Can't say for sure until we get to see more of the trees, but that bodes ill.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Instead of messing with the number of points you need to sink into a tree to advance, Infamy will grant you a grand total of four skillpoints.

I guess you start level 0 with 4 points? IDK.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Not sure how to feel about the rest of it, but I'm super stoked to finally get a proper Sharpshooter tree.

Though I can't help but think that doing one class a week isn't going to do them any favors, especially when they're clearly shifting stuff around between classes. It feels a bit weird to judge Mastermind by itself before I know exactly what the heck they're doing with the other four. Edit: Oh, and currently no mention of further Perk Deck changes, either.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 18, 2016

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I can't help but notice that there doesn't seem to be a skill that actually unlocks the deployables for you. I wonder if you'll just get access to each of those by default?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Swan song and auto-revive FAKs are going to be insane together.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

Not sure how to feel about the rest of it, but I'm super stoked to finally get a proper Sharpshooter tree.

Though I can't help but think that doing one class a week isn't going to do them any favors, especially when they're clearly shifting stuff around between classes. It feels a bit weird to judge Mastermind by itself before I know exactly what the heck they're doing with the other four. Edit: Oh, and currently no mention of further Perk Deck changes, either.

That sharpshooter tree looks like poo poo though, at best it's 3 headshots to get refunded a single bullet, that's garbage as gently caress.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Now that I think about, this new skills only go to 4 tiers system could make implementing new skill trees much more simpler if you have the three side tree paths for them thought out.

Also whatever they do with technician, it really needs a side tree whose top skill is being able to bring any deployable mission equipment/favor to any heist. I'd love for them to have a specialization that is just technician bringing all the toys to play with.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

That sharpshooter tree looks like poo poo though, at best it's 3 headshots to get refunded a single bullet, that's garbage as gently caress.

Aggressive reload and spotter are very good, but that top skill is pretty lol.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

So, uhh... who's actually going to spend 6 points on Spotter Basic?

I like how Endurance Ace and Control Freak Basic only cost 2 points in total under this new system.

Dr Cheeto posted:

You need to ace Combat Medic to get to Inspire ace. Beserker builds get hosed (presumably).
You do? They still exist?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

maswastaken posted:

I've got one - shotgun Rogue. Lemme tell you, Berserker with a cut down Mosconi and crits will kill an amazing amount of things.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

maswastaken posted:

You need to ace the bottom skill to get anywhere. You need to ace a second-tier skill to get to the third-tier. Getting to the top in the most efficient way would then require either acing a third-tier skill or picking up basic in both third-tiers as well as basic in the other second-tier.

Infamies do not reduce these requirements.

If you want doc bags, FAKs, or Inspire you're acing Combat Medic.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 18, 2016

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

This kind of looks like poo poo

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Oh. I see how that works now.

...I can live without Spotter.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah it feels weird to judge this by itself. Also, getting an ACE top tier skill requires you to use 28 out of 104 avalible points (possibly more maximum points with Infamy 3.0), so you could get 3 subtrees maxed. That leaves you with 20 points, enough to get another Tier 3 in another skill subtree. Given that the subtrees seem more focused now then ever, this does give you more of a "mix and match" options (the options being whole subtrees), and I overall think it reduces flexibility.
Gonna wait for some more info.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

For the sharpshooter stuff on first glance:

-Ammo efficiency looks useless unless they start nerfing ammo pickups and reserves again
-Maybe aced spotter is useful if it's not a ridiculous distance, because most good players I know prefer to get up close and instantly melt enemies
-Aggressive reload would be a nice improvement for stuff like the Thanny, lever-action, m308, Walther, etc.
-Happy to have Rifleman out of the tech tree.

For Controller:

-Stockholm seems not bad (especially for poo poo like that bomb forest achievement), but I don't know why they're still so married to that skill.
-Having someone be able to bring 12 doc bag charges would make me feel better about bringing gimmicky equipment.
-If I'm reading this right, I like having sprint-reloads earlier in the Master tree.

-For medic, I'm just kind of psyched that we have the PD2 equivalent of MGS rations.

edit: also, holy poo poo Cheeto timg please.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
It's worth noting that spotter is, as of today, the only way to boost the damage of grenade launchers and RPGs. Depending on how the bonus works, spotter ace might have a place in the hearts of a number of goons.

Sorry about the big image, phoneposting ATM.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 18, 2016

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Plan Z posted:

-Ammo efficiency looks useless unless they start nerfing ammo pickups and reserves again

I can see the potential with sniper rifles in particular. As an example, the Thanny's got 15 rounds base - Ace Ammo Efficency and you get an extra 6 rounds (5 + 1 more from the ones you get back). 50% more ammo for a gun you're going to be going for headshots on every trigger pull anyway is reasonably handy (though probably still not good enough for a 10 point investment).

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Aced Uppers looks Ace.

Does Aced Uppers trigger Aced Quick Fix?

I have this feeling like this is going to be like the big gun rebalance - we all hate it at first and after a month we think it's rad.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Plan Z posted:

-Stockholm seems not bad (especially for poo poo like that bomb forest achievement), but I don't know why they're still so married to that skill.

:iiam:

The basic skill seems useful enough. Hostages fleeing after being freed is a small issue on holdout maps. However, the best thing skills can do is either speed up objectives or make shooting cops easier. Stockholm has never done one or the other.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Bootcha posted:

:iiam:

The basic skill seems useful enough. Hostages fleeing after being freed is a small issue on holdout maps. However, the best thing skills can do is either speed up objectives or make shooting cops easier. Stockholm has never done one or the other.

Oh hey, you're still alive.

Where are these new skill trees posted? I'm kinda curious to look at them, aside from the Mastermind one posted above.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

They haven't revealed any others. They're going to show off one a week and then start the skill beta after all 5 have been revealed.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Some of the lower end skills look neat, but overall unimpressed with Mastermind. But thats never been my playstyle anyways.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Inspire ace fits every playstyle, friend.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Dr Cheeto posted:

Inspire ace fits every playstyle, friend.

If you aren't shouting like 90+ "GET THE gently caress UP!"s in any given game, you shouldn't be bringing Chains. :colbert:

IBlameRoadSuess fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 18, 2016

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The saddest day was when they added more inspire lines to Chains.

Of course they also gave everyone variations on his "GET THE gently caress UP" so it evens out I guess.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

UnknownMercenary posted:

The saddest day was when they added more inspire lines to Chains.

Of course they also gave everyone variations on his "GET THE gently caress UP" so it evens out I guess.

Please tell me Jacket says "Wake the heck up, please :)"

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Tulip posted:

Aced Uppers looks Ace.

Does Aced Uppers trigger Aced Quick Fix?

I have this feeling like this is going to be like the big gun rebalance - we all hate it at first and after a month we think it's rad.

The weapon rebalanced sucks because it makes several paid dlcs completely blow

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Questions/thoughts:
  • The Uppers aced skill seems extremely capable of abuse, especially on DW where it annuls the normal recovered health on being picked up. Its interaction with other FAK skills will be interesting- can you in principle have the skill without unlocking FAKs?
  • Does Hostage Taker apply to the entire team, or only the person who shouts/ties down the NPC?
  • The Stockholm Syndrome changes also add a tremendous amount to team survival. It's frankly rather OP in some settings, as civilians will stick around unless they're killed(though, note that recent maps have fewer civilians). I suspect that it maps strongly onto the original design sentiment that was the basis of Stockholm Syndrome. I wonder if we'll get new lines from the players talking to civs... :allears:
  • Ammo Efficiency makes no sense as described- it would work a bit better if instead of one bullet, it refunded the value of one ammo pickup.
  • Many of the Sharpshooter skills are aimed at a set of builds that don't...really work very well in the current combat system. The Spotter Aced effect in particular is strange, because we know that shooting individual enemies from across the map is rarely a good investment.
  • The skill tree overall lacks a coherent theme- only some of the medic and controller skills have much to do with the image of a criminal mastermind.
  • The underlying dependencies have the possibility of creating more tradeoffs (and indirectly making the game harder)- but at the same time Uppers and Stockholm Syndrome in particular seem like a dramatic survivability boost.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 18, 2016

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Tempest_56 posted:

I can see the potential with sniper rifles in particular. As an example, the Thanny's got 15 rounds base - Ace Ammo Efficency and you get an extra 6 rounds (5 + 1 more from the ones you get back). 50% more ammo for a gun you're going to be going for headshots on every trigger pull anyway is reasonably handy (though probably still not good enough for a 10 point investment).

Or more, if it procs on penetrating shots. You could reasonably hit 2 headshots at once with most of the sniper rifles.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
I think it's a great idea making sprint reloading more accessible, it's taken for granted in battlefield games but it significantly cuts down your downtime. It makes me hopeful that counterstrike or shaped charges will get a similar treatment.

PantsOptional posted:

I can't help but notice that there doesn't seem to be a skill that actually unlocks the deployables for you. I wonder if you'll just get access to each of those by default?

You only have one choice at the bottom of each tree, combat medic, cable tie or stable shot. It looks like they're the minimum investment to unlock a tree now. If you need to ace a skill to unlock the next tier then it's going to be harder to achieve the usual smattering of picks.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Delacroix posted:

I think it's a great idea making sprint reloading more accessible, it's taken for granted in battlefield games but it significantly cuts down your downtime. It makes me hopeful that counterstrike or shaped charges will get a similar treatment.

You only have one choice at the bottom of each tree, combat medic, cable tie or stable shot. It looks like they're the minimum investment to unlock a tree now. If you need to ace a skill to unlock the next tier then it's going to be harder to achieve the usual smattering of picks.

You need to ace the skill to unlock the second tier, it's all in that big-rear end image that was posted earlier.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Discendo Vox posted:

The skill tree overall lacks a coherent theme- only some of the medic and controller skills have much to do with the image of a criminal mastermind.

I'm not so sure about this. I guess what they're going for is less the standard criminal mastermind, but it all fits quite well into the team leader archetype. Mastermind is now completely about putting your team, your pet cop, and even your pet civilians between you and the cops, while you hang back and take potshots. At the very least, nudging the medic/support class towards the "stay back and shoot things from a mile away" playstyle makes a hell of a lot of sense compared to them getting pistols just because. Also, I think something being overlooked about Ammo Efficiency is that, while it suffers from the "mediocre basic skill/improved aced skill" problem and is definitely under-tuned for a top tier skill, it's ultimately meant to supplement your ammo supply so that you don't have to expose yourself to grab ammo drops as often. It's also obviously more attuned towards sniper rifles than assault rifles with large ammo pools; I think this is them attempting to solve the DLC problem by working to make skills that can function with a vanilla weapon pool but clearly push paid weapons further.

Also, since I ended up thinking a lot about this, here's my speculation for the rest of the classes:
  • Enforcer probably won't see as many radical changes, as the class already neatly splits into three workable subtrees (Shotguns/Tank/Melee) and it has enough fat to comfortably trim off (oh no, they might get rid of Tough Guy!!! :ohdear:). Something to keep in mind is that they did mention further changes to melee weapons. And perhaps they could finally split Aced Iron Man off into Run and Gun in the shotgun tree and Shield Punch in the melee tree and shove Aced Bulletproof in their place.
  • Technician already has two easy subtrees - mines and sentries. With sharpshooting moved over to Mastermind, it took me a little bit to realize where they might be going with Tech's weapon proficiency: full-auto weapons with a bias towards LMGs. It would explain Sharpshooter's over-emphasis on single fire weapons, to contrast strongly with this theoretical Machine Gunner subtree and it would be the most logical new home of Kilmer (though kinda weird considering most of its existing bonuses are more or less staying in Mastermind). There's a good amount of synergy here, too. Setting up a static position using the bipod fits well with the Tech's highly defensive gameplay style, and you can even use your gadgets to watch your back while you're deployed. As the cherry on top, perhaps this is why Wolf abruptly gained an interest in LMGs. Maybe they'll move the suppression and panic effects from Enforcer/Muscle over to Tech to amp up the terror factor of wielding an MG42 and setting loving bombs and autoguns everywhere.
  • Ghost is most likely going to be the recipient of the pistol subtree. Aside from the obvious mechanical connection of high-concealment weaponry and the thematic silenced pistol = sneaky guy connection, it would be very easy to merge Pistol Messiah with Nine Lives, which would also give Ghost/Rogue its own miraculous survival/undo button gimmick to match Swan Song in Fugitive.
  • Fugitive...okay, I admit I have no idea what the hell they're going to do with Fugitive. The current tree is already a mishmash of ideas, and I'm not even sure if they can do a full subtree just for dual pistols (though gently caress it would be amazing if they managed to make the subtree all about akimbo anything, calling back to the Hox breakout trailer). It's also now missing its primary deployable and it remains to be seen whether body bags will end up with Ghost (though if they are ditching class/deployable tier 0 unlock stuff, they could theoretically get away with a class with no deployable at all). The best I can say is that Fugitive wouldn't be a terrible thematic place to stick Aced Spotter and Aced Control Freak, playing with the idea that Hox has tons of old prison contacts to call in favors from, or something. But frankly even those would largely fit better with Ghost, at least for the sake of sticking all of the "I JUST WANT TO STEALTH! :ninja:" skills in one place.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 19, 2016

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
My first impression is that it's not significantly different from the current system - it takes the current tree, flattens it a little bit, then splits it into three separate silos. Some things become easier to access (Ace Inspire), other things harder (Spotter). Dominator appears to be completely gone, which means they may be giving everyone the ability to force cops to surrender by default. I'm gonna miss 50% extra shout range though if that doesn't become free, it allows you mark things at much longer ranges.

I feel like the new system is going to be a net loss in terms of build variety. The silos pare thing down to an A/B choice at every tier, and the way the math works out you need to ace one thing in each tier or do a T2 Ace/T2 Basic/T3 Basic/T3 Basic split to hit T4 without wasting points. With some silos being questionable as it is (Controller looks largely worthless outside of 6 points for Endurance, which is way more expensive than the 2 points it used to be), it's going to be the same focus on the power skills without the necessity of tier locks forcing you to spread out. Gunning for Ace Inspire in the current system has a ton of flexibility in how you distribute your T2/3 and T4/5 points, though to be fair Mastermind seems to be the best designed tree in that regard after ignoring the completely useless stuff like Stockholm Syndrome.

I'll have to wait until the rest of the skill trees are unveiled to properly judge it, since they might be giving the other quality of life stuff the Dominator treatment (but then again, they might get the Endurance treatment too). It seems like it's going to make weird stuff like Inspire/Bulletproof builds possible without sacrificing too much, but they seem to be making other big changes to skills given what we're seeing right now so everything is up in the air.

Sharpshooter looks like it's gonna be really nice on a Sniper build but kinda meh on everything else. Mastermind's emphasis on pistols is completely gone now, probably being handed off to Fugitive? And got Technician's rifle stuff in exchange. Odds are Technician is going to get a Turret tree, a C4/Drilling tree, and a passive armor/buff tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I hope that Fugitive becomes the dump for pistol skills, ending with AKIMBO EVERYTHING as the aced akimbo

also no ammo penalty, gently caress that