Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

IRQ posted:

From chim-pan-A to chim-pan-Z

no you'll never make a monkey out of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ravane posted:

I'm interested in piracy, but I'm not really into buying books.

Well I have good news if you have an e-reader!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

Well I have good news if you have an e-reader!

Or a smartphone even, there's a million apps that can open files for you and even iBooks and Kindle will open .epubs or .mobi files that you haven't bought from them.

[Edit: and even though I have an interest and have participated in piracy (oh sure BBC America I'll wait a couple hours to watch your chopped up versions of a show I can't talk about in this thread) I actually did buy "How Music Got Free" and you should too :colbert:]

[Edit edit: oh right, this is Couch Chat. I really like Playstation VUE and have signed up for the middle tier plan (that new Sundance channel show with Omar and Christina Hendricks looks good, plus Documentary Now! is coming back soon). $35 a month for a service that includes pretty much every cable channel I care about that can record anything and everything and be watched on my phone is totally reasonable--Comcast wanted $55 a month when all was said and done for a similar service (with less channels even). gently caress that and gently caress Comcast.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 18, 2016

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sober posted:

Within hours? Try having the episodes available like minutes after the first broadcast finishes.

And not to praise pirates too much but they do a valuable job of archiving in a way, whereas some companies will just let this die off, pirates are basically doing the job of archivists at times. Also I think there's some competitive spirit going on as to who can do it better, faster, etc. They also tend to keep each other in check over quality and everything to. It's definitely a weird scene I'd like to actually have someone dig deeper into.

Yeah I download hour long dramas that air at 9pm at 10:02pm. Literally as soon as they finish airing they're uploaded. Scene members must have multiple cable boxes, real time H624 compression, and university network upload speeds. It's pretty impressive.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There is this one group in "the scene" that used to release incredibly high quality rips of Hannibal and Mad Men. The Mad Men episodes were like 30 gigs. I don't know how they got their hands on it because there were no ads or AMC logos or anything, and this was when the episodes just aired on TV.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

lelandjs posted:

There's rumors that Paramount put The Little Prince on TPB and then when almost no one pirated it they took it to mean Americans didn't care about the film and dropped the domestic distribution rights

This is really stupid even by the standards of media piracy false flag bullshit. Little Prince was just released outside of the US months in advance of its US release so the movie has had plenty of time to circulate in advance.

If there was any merit to the idea that studios are intentionally putting media on piracy sites we would have found proof by now in one of the big hacks/leaks.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Trip report: Daredevil Season 2 is every bit as good as Season 1, there will definitely be a Punisher series on Netflix one day and Elodie Yung is crazy hot.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I seem to remember watching early 24 a day before it even aired in the states. I think the pirates intercepted the episode as it was beamed out to individual stations or something? Or maybe that was a dream, I dunno.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rarity posted:

Trip report: Daredevil Season 2 is every bit as good as Season 1, there will definitely be a Punisher series on Netflix one day and Elodie Yung is crazy hot.

Do you people sleep?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

bring back old gbs posted:

Yeah I download hour long dramas that air at 9pm at 10:02pm. Literally as soon as they finish airing they're uploaded. Scene members must have multiple cable boxes, real time H624 compression, and university network upload speeds. It's pretty impressive.

Also 265 encoding is a thing now and dramatically cuts down on episode sizes which in turn cuts download times, which was like the only downside of pirating if you wanted to download an episode that literally just aired but had to get it off a handful of seeds and compete with thousands of other downloaders. Now an hour long episode in 720p is like 200-250MB. Being on the west coast makes it even crazier, I can finish downloading some shows before they even air. TV piracy is kind of nuts.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

IRQ posted:

Do you people sleep?

I slept early yesterday and watched the first four last night before coming in to work, I think they were better than almost all of last season. My plan is to get off work a little early today. Go home and sleep and wake up late to watch another four or so. Maybe I'll finish it by Sunday.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

IRQ posted:

Do you people sleep?

I live in the UK, it started at 7am here. I'm just pausing to cook dinner before I hit the final episode :smug:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I got less than two hours of sleep last night and I'm just about to finish the last episode

Worth it imo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm with X-O in that I've only seen up to episode 4 but that string of eps alone was miles better than season 1. Hugely excited to finish.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

How much ninja action is there?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mu Zeta posted:

A loving shitload

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mu Zeta posted:

A surfeit of ninjas

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Isn't the ninja poo poo what Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles makes fun of with The Foot?

I don't like the actor playing Punisher and ninjas are too 90s for me.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 18, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Isn't the ninja poo poo what Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles makes fun of with The Foot?
Yes.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Did they make the suit any better than it was in the final ep of last season?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rarity posted:

I live in the UK, it started at 7am here. I'm just pausing to cook dinner before I hit the final episode :smug:

Yeah I know your excuse. And you get to work from home. The rest of you are nuts though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't like the actor playing Punisher and ninjas are too 90s for me.

Yup. Mutated by the same ooze that took Murdock's sight, fight the Foot instead of the Hand, trained by Splinter instead of Stick...

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Toxxupation posted:

no you'll never make a monkey out of me

Oh my God! I was wrong! It was Occ, all along!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

VDay posted:

Also 265 encoding is a thing now and dramatically cuts down on episode sizes which in turn cuts download times, which was like the only downside of pirating if you wanted to download an episode that literally just aired but had to get it off a handful of seeds and compete with thousands of other downloaders. Now an hour long episode in 720p is like 200-250MB. Being on the west coast makes it even crazier, I can finish downloading some shows before they even air. TV piracy is kind of nuts.
It's sort of a necessary evil. I really doubt things like Netflix or other VOD services would've evolved as much if it weren't for piracy. Same for computer games and Steam/Origin/GoG/etc.

There is really a lot missing that studios either don't release as home media anymore or aren't available even on demand, especially those caught in the transition. The only other problem is piracy is also directly related to the popularity of a show, so at times it's kinda worthless unless you actually have someone going to the actual effort (instead of passively, as pirates are doing) of archiving stuff that even the studios don't give two shits about, because let's be honest how many people are gonna be pirating MTV's Hard Candy 5 years from now? Even some shows the scene just for one reason or another just drop midway through, I've seen that happen with some smaller foreign/Canadian stuff.

But at least since VoD and streaming has gotten more robust in the years I guess a home release for shows with piddly ratings or being mothballed forever are no longer necessary as you can effectively sell whatever rights to rebroadcast it or the option to buy the digital formats these days.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't like the actor playing Punisher

Is this even allowed?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I caught about two minutes of some DC superhero show my brother was watching (I think it was Supergirl), and it confirmed the reasons for my apprehension to watch any superhero TV show: the dialog. Is there a way that writers can write villain dialog without pulling directly from the Joss Whedon School of Snark? The scene was some blue girl warps in and sees two people making out and vomits up this great line: "I would kill you, but your planet is going to burn up in three days anyway. :smug: Uuuuuuuggggh I can't believe I'm in the same world as Candy Crush! :barf:"

I already had this impression that superhero shows would feature bad acting, a much lower budget (particularly SFX) than they needed for the scope of a superhero who saves the world, and "witty" dialog. Joss Whedon-esque dialog, where every character shares the same voice (smug sarcastic banter) is the reason I didn't like Firefly, Buffy, or most of the dialog in The Avengers. Is all the dialog in Supergirl, The Flash, Agents of SHIELD, and Legends of Tomorrow like this?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

X-O posted:

I slept early yesterday and watched the first four last night before coming in to work, I think they were better than almost all of last season. My plan is to get off work a little early today. Go home and sleep and wake up late to watch another four or so. Maybe I'll finish it by Sunday.

I'm currently on ep 1, it's incredible. I won't lie, I liked last season a bit more simply because he was barely surviving some of these fights. But then again, I'm still only on ep 1.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BJPaskoff posted:

I caught about two minutes of some DC superhero show my brother was watching (I think it was Supergirl), and it confirmed the reasons for my apprehension to watch any superhero TV show: the dialog. Is there a way that writers can write villain dialog without pulling directly from the Joss Whedon School of Snark? The scene was some blue girl warps in and sees two people making out and vomits up this great line: "I would kill you, but your planet is going to burn up in three days anyway. :smug: Uuuuuuuggggh I can't believe I'm in the same world as Candy Crush! :barf:"

I already had this impression that superhero shows would feature bad acting, a much lower budget (particularly SFX) than they needed for the scope of a superhero who saves the world, and "witty" dialog. Joss Whedon-esque dialog, where every character shares the same voice (smug sarcastic banter) is the reason I didn't like Firefly, Buffy, or most of the dialog in The Avengers. Is all the dialog in Supergirl, The Flash, Agents of SHIELD, and Legends of Tomorrow like this?

All the DC shows have terrible dialogue except for iZombie, where the dialogue is pretty great. Agents of SHIELD has much better dialogue than the other DC shows but it's still kind of got that Whedon snark at times, but not nearly as overbearing.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

IRQ posted:

Yeah I know your excuse. And you get to work from home. The rest of you are nuts though.

Dude I haven't worked from home in 2 years. I just booked off today as holiday :D

BJPaskoff posted:

Try the Netflix Marvel shows, they are nothing like that.

Rarity fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 18, 2016

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

All the DC shows have terrible dialogue except for iZombie, where the dialogue is pretty great. Agents of SHIELD has much better dialogue than the other DC shows but it's still kind of got that Whedon snark at times, but not nearly as overbearing.

Heh, I was almost going to write "I'm watching and enjoying iZombie right now and the dialog is sometimes snarky, but not bad". I'm guessing the reason that Agents of SHIELD is snarky but better than the DC shows is that Whedon has either gotten over the crutch of writing every character with his voice that he used in his earlier work (like I said, The Avengers wasn't terrible and it was a later project) or he has other writers. And the DC writing is terrible because it's trying to emulate Whedon, and of course a bad Whedon sounds like early Whedon.

Rarity posted:

Daredevil wasn't bad. I can't say I'm as excited as everyone else to watch season 2, but I'm going to watch it. The problems I had with Jessica Jones had nothing to do with the dialog.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 18, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BJPaskoff posted:

Heh, I was almost going to write "I'm watching and enjoying iZombie right now and the dialog is sometimes snarky, but not bad". I'm guessing the reason that Agents of SHIELD is snarky but better than the DC shows is that Whedon has either gotten over the crutch of writing every character with his voice that he used in his earlier work (like I said, The Avengers wasn't terrible and it was a later project) or he has other writers. And the DC writing is terrible because it's trying to emulate Whedon, and of course a bad Whedon sounds like early Whedon.

Joss Whedon has nothing to do with Agents of SHIELD, it's his brother and sister-in-law that run the show.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've only seen the first 4-5 episodes (the first arc, I suppose), but as a whole in terms of writing and direction it was much stronger than the beginning of season 1 for sure. That whole graveyard scene was loving GOOD.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Rarity posted:

Nah, Jessica Jones is absolutely like that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's really not.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

iZombie's dialogue is just like the others, it's just the Thomas school instead of what you're calling the Whedon one.

Sleeveless posted:

Did they make the suit any better than it was in the final ep of last season?

Hard to say, you can't actually see anything in this show.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 19, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Escobarbarian posted:

I'm with X-O in that I've only seen up to episode 4 but that string of eps alone was miles better than season 1. Hugely excited to finish.

Just starting episode 4 here. That episode 3 fight, holy poo poo, I was kind of expecting a Batman hit counter to appear in the corner.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, but you can hear it really really well.

Like REALLY well.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ravane posted:

You know that's right.

psych is good

i recommend the spelling bee episode which iirc is 1x02

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

Might try fixing your TV. I didn't have a problem with the episodes I watched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sober posted:

It's sort of a necessary evil. I really doubt things like Netflix or other VOD services would've evolved as much if it weren't for piracy. Same for computer games and Steam/Origin/GoG/etc.

There is really a lot missing that studios either don't release as home media anymore or aren't available even on demand, especially those caught in the transition. The only other problem is piracy is also directly related to the popularity of a show, so at times it's kinda worthless unless you actually have someone going to the actual effort (instead of passively, as pirates are doing) of archiving stuff that even the studios don't give two shits about, because let's be honest how many people are gonna be pirating MTV's Hard Candy 5 years from now? Even some shows the scene just for one reason or another just drop midway through, I've seen that happen with some smaller foreign/Canadian stuff.

But at least since VoD and streaming has gotten more robust in the years I guess a home release for shows with piddly ratings or being mothballed forever are no longer necessary as you can effectively sell whatever rights to rebroadcast it or the option to buy the digital formats these days.

• Locked thread