Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
We can't even get 1080p 60 fps but new hardware will get us to 4k. Yeah OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Two PS4s stacked on top of each other plus a small PS4 for the VR headset plus wires everywhere and like 10 controllers, welcome to the future.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

El Hefe posted:

That's nothing new for ninty
There was an article not two days ago going "Hyrule Warriors 3DS is a grim warning for upgradable consoles" cause it shits the bed on regular 3DSes and WOOPS GUESS WHAT

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They Named the Fifth Playstation the Playstation 4.5

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

El Hefe posted:

Two PS4s stacked on top of each other plus a small PS4 for the VR headset plus wires everywhere and like 10 controllers, welcome to the future.

Let's Sega the poo poo out of this!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sonys going to kill the golden goose and start over from nothing. Lmao

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

I haven't even owned my PS4 for half a year yet ffs

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Quest For Glory II posted:

They Named the Fifth Playstation the Playstation 4k

Fixed because that's a better name even if it is a dumb idea

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
This is probably late in the game but I just finished Hearts of Stone last night and I have to say that it is probably one of the best bits of DLC I've played through. The main quest was fantastic (better, IMO, than the Bloody Baron questline). The characters and writing were excellent, and I even can't get the main theme song unstuck from my head. If anyone's on the fence about it, I thoroughly recommend it.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Have not been keeping up with this thread or gaming news to be honest, could someone give me an impression on Telltale Games new Walking dead game about Michonne?

Was tempted to just buy it but there does not seem to be any buzz surrounding it I'm also worried about spoilers

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

the moment microsoft and nintendo start imploding ps3 era sony comes roaring back lol

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Upgradeable consoles have never worked, they just haven't.

I'd like to think it's rubbish but there are supposedly several sources confirming this according to that article.

Who knows, this could actually be the PS5. We know now that development on PS4 started pretty much as soon as PS3 launched so it isn't far fetched to say this is the beginnings of the next console....

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Y'all are gullible as gently caress I swear.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

is salt and sanctuary good? the animation looked kinda stiff in the videos, but I do love me a metroidvania.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Kilometers Davis posted:

I can almost see them making a revision that comes with a PSVR and has the breakout box built in so its "VR ready!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

Patrick didn't get the nickname "Scoops" for nothing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MZ posted:

Upgradeable consoles have never worked, they just haven't.

I'd like to think it's rubbish but there are supposedly several sources confirming this according to that article.

Who knows, this could actually be the PS5. We know now that development on PS4 started pretty much as soon as PS3 launched so it isn't far fetched to say this is the beginnings of the next console....

Someone in another thread guessed that the author of the article (is it patrick klepic? Lol) is misrepresenting a 4k tv ready ps4 slim as a hardware upgrade but i guess we will know in a few months if there are so many devs that are talking about it it must be an e3 feature.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Real hurthling! posted:

Someone in another thread guessed that the author of the article (is it patrick klepic? Lol) is misrepresenting a 4k tv ready ps4 slim as a hardware upgrade but i guess we will know in a few months if there are so many devs that are talking about it it must be an e3 feature.

https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/710907688696152064

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

BonoMan posted:

The FULL PSVR bundle is announced.

$500 and contains:

PS VR headset
PS VR cables Stereo
Headphones
PlayStation VR Demo Disc
PlayStation Camera
2 PlayStation Move motion controllers
PlayStation VR Worlds (disc)

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/18/11260808/playstation-vr-bundle-preorders

:vrfrog:

At least they gave a date and time for the pre-orders to start and I don't have to check the Amazon store page every hour.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
They should market it as the PS5 and say it's backward compatible with PS4 games.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Could be upscaling the games or something though. I cant trust his freshly shorn baby face without another source.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Kilometers Davis posted:

good point, is there any source on this that isn't loving Kotaku?

edit: oh god, I didn't even notice the Klepek by-line. Yeah bin this lovely article

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Mr Snips posted:

I haven't even owned my PS4 for half a year yet ffs

They haven't released a new PS4 yet either.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CrashCat posted:

I love that the article had to be updated to reflect that 4k is not 2x 1080. Really shows the depth of knowledge

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

CrashCat posted:

Klepek is a pretty good source for this stuff. He broke the story about MS abandoning their DRM plans on the Xbox one when he was at Giant Bomb.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

queeb posted:

is salt and sanctuary good? the animation looked kinda stiff in the videos, but I do love me a metroidvania.

I'm about 10 hours in and I'm really digging it. I gather I'm about half-way through. It definitely scratches that SOTN itch. I actually really dig the artwork and enemy design. Lots of variety.

It's also fairly priced. $18 for a 20-hour, well-designed, deep metroidvania game is reasonable.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 18, 2016

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

EC posted:

Klepek is a pretty good source for this stuff. He broke the story about MS abandoning their DRM plans on the Xbox one when he was at Giant Bomb.

Wow, next he's gonna tell me there's a new assassins creed being developed

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Wow, next he's gonna tell me there's a new assassins creed being developed

Scoops

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Microsoft just announced they were looking into the idea of console upgrades like a week ago so maybe this is Sony just being like "uh, yeah us too guys."

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
And it's GDC. People drink. People also plant poo poo in the minds of the lower rank workers to see who leaks what.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I don't see a problem with a 4k upgrade as long as it's not crazy.

The xbone idea was if you upgrade it will run a game at 1080 60 instead of 1080 30. Sounds like a updated video card is what it boils down too.

It doesn't have to "split the user base". At it should take developers too long to tweak the settings to run on both.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Microsoft just announced they were looking into the idea of console upgrades like a week ago so maybe this is Sony just being like "uh, yeah us too guys."

this is supposedly a new machine in developers hands or at least its specs are known to developers. ms was phil spencer thowing bones to suicidal fans after announcing the end of xbox as a console earlier in that speech.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bombadilillo posted:

I don't see a problem with a 4k upgrade as long as it's not crazy.

The xbone idea was if you upgrade it will run a game at 1080 60 instead of 1080 30. Sounds like a updated video card is what it boils down too.

It doesn't have to "split the user base". At it should take developers too long to tweak the settings to run on both.

What ends up happening is that devs will target the more powerful system specs, increasing the chances the game will be an unoptimized mess on the older one, and/or you end up with a set of games that are "Better with" that boils down to "You need"

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What ends up happening is that devs will target the more powerful system specs, increasing the chances the game will be an unoptimized mess on the older one, and/or you end up with a set of games that are "Better with" that boils down to "You need"

Or the devs won't bother using the extra power because 35 million people have the base unit vs a couple of million using the upgraded one, so it'll get a few games with extra bells and whistles and then abandoned. (See: Sega 32x, Nintendo 64 DD)

Either way, consumers get screwed.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

it really seems like a dumb thing unless its just a slim style revision with the vr breakout box inside and some kind of new video output for 4k to cover patricks' vr and hi res claims.

if its really a NEW sony ps4 like the NEW nintendo 3ds they're loving up

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Maybe this is a dumb question, but does the Playstation VR come with built-in speakers/headphones? Are we just supposed to use a headphone jack on the unit (at which point I'm not sure how good the audio will actually be, like the 3D Audio)? Or, are we supposed to use the typical TV/theater sound?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Maybe this is a dumb question, but does the Playstation VR come with built-in speakers/headphones? Are we just supposed to use a headphone jack on the unit (at which point I'm not sure how good the audio will actually be, like the 3D Audio)? Or, are we supposed to use the typical TV/theater sound?

Plug in whatev you've got. Seen PSVR used with big-cup headphones.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Crows Turn Off posted:

It comes with headphones so they're expecting you to use something like that instead of TV.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Crows Turn Off posted:

"What's in the box" pictures show some in-ear headphones. They look like a white version of the Vita set minus the mic.
Edit: beaten badly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Hopefully/presumably we can use the Gold headset with it.

• Locked thread