Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

whiteyfats posted:

Um, do they know what is sold as wild rice in the US isn't actually rice?

Wait, I also just realized that this makes the insane claim that rice was 'invented in Holland'? What?

If rice is so unhealthy then are the Japanese one of the most long-lived people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mad Hamish posted:

If rice is so unhealthy then are the Japanese one of the most long-lived people?

This may have something to do with it

quote:

More than 230,000 Japanese people listed as 100 years old cannot be located and many may have died decades ago, according to a government survey released today.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/sep/10/japenese-centenarians-records

Want to keep collecting grandma's social security check after she dies? Prop her up in the corner and pretend nothing happened! #deathhax

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Hey guys, a single small pizza has arrived for us 4 grown men.

http://i.imgur.com/pZwqzsc.webm

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Palpek posted:

http://i.imgur.com/pZwqzsc.webm

Definitely belongs in thread, way too much for result, easily replaced by plates.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Not to mention that the pristine condition box shown there hasn't been exposed to pizza fluids during delivery like it normally is.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Palpek posted:

:911:

Palpek posted:

pizza fluids

:italy:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Why would you use something as simple as a hook when you could use this:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Palpek posted:

Not to mention that the pristine condition box shown there hasn't been exposed to pizza fluids during delivery like it normally is.

That raises a point too, when was the last time you saw a perfectly square, no weird bits pizza box? I know both Domino's and Pizza Hut have changed their boxes. I'm assuming so that the pizzas don't slide around so they can quit buying those little plastic rings you put in the center.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Palpek posted:

A hook? Serious question: why not just throw your keys on the vestibule floor?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Jerry Cotton posted:

Come on, how would you manage to pick it up with an enormous gut?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Palpek posted:

Come on, how would you manage to pick it up with an enormous gut?

Again, seriouspost: do you not know the pick-up-things-that-are-on-the-floor-with-your-toes technique?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Palpek posted:

I don't know, that's actually kind of cool in a kitchy, silly way.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Palpek posted:

Ah yes, not at all a tool to suppress all the warnings your car gives you when you refuse to wear your seat belt. Just a gimmicky keyring, officer.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Palpek posted:

Look, everyone has a a car lying around that they can scrap to remove the seatbelt holders, this is just practical.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

Because we're not animals who just throw poo poo on the floor when we don't want to hold it anymore?

e: this is probably a joke that went over my head

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Just buy one of the grabby tools garbage pickers use. No need to bend over or install hooks on your wall.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Palpek posted:

Because the buckler is held by a loose strap, there is no way to attach your keys with a single hand. The buckle would just flap around until you held it in place. Similarly, unbuckling will require some goofy hand posture to hold the buckle in place while you pushed the button AND held the keys, or would again require two hands.

So this is a thing that costs more than what it's replacing (a keyring or a hook), is 100% harder to use, and only looks 'cool' because it's different. All requirements met for a fantastic lifehack!

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Palpek posted:

Wait, that's a photoshopped picture too, isn't it? I don't know what's worse, the hack itself or the fact that someone only dares to dream of this solution.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wanamingo posted:

Want to keep collecting grandma's social security check after she dies? Prop her up in the corner and pretend nothing happened! #deathhax

That's actually a really interesting article. I can't get over the idea of the famous Japanese centenarian population being an incredibly built-up lie by thousands of families that are just trying to keep collecting pensions for 30 years.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

quote:

This is my buddy John (who doesn't want to be named, but his name's totally John, so it works). He left his sunroof open, and his BMW Xsomething flooded. Flooded bad.

So he thinks "Hey, if I can put my iPhone in a Ziploc bag with some rice... Why not do the same thing to dry out my car?"

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That's either stupid as hell or brilliant. I'm not sure which.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Warbird posted:

That's either stupid as hell or brilliant. I'm not sure which.

Since it doesn't work for phones, its pretty stupid.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Palpek has a new favorite as of 20:36 on Mar 18, 2016

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

This is the kind of poo poo you throw away behind a persons back to improve their life for them. Then just show them how to prop a phone up against a couple books or something.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I am imagining all of this being done by the same person.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Palpek posted:

Scenes from the Lives of the Profoundly Sad

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

see i just thought #collegedormhacks

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
What the hell is that person wearing that shows your toes while wearing black hose/socks? I've never seen a woman wearing black hose/stockings with open toed shoes. The only situation I can think of where you'd have to worry about that is when you're a grandpa and want to wear your socks/sandals combo on the beach but your chic black socks have an unfortunate hole.

"Mary, bring me the Sharpie..."

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Filox posted:

What the hell is that person wearing that shows your toes while wearing black hose/socks? I've never seen a woman wearing black hose/stockings with open toed shoes. The only situation I can think of where you'd have to worry about that is when you're a grandpa and want to wear your socks/sandals combo on the beach but your chic black socks have an unfortunate hole.

"Mary, bring me the Sharpie..."

Never underestimate the number of people who think it's okay to wear birkenstocks with socks.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Again, seriouspost: do you not know the pick-up-things-that-are-on-the-floor-with-your-toes technique?

NotSoSeriousPost: But what if the diabeetus has taken your toes?

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Gazaar posted:

This is the kind of poo poo you throw away behind a persons back to improve their life for them. Then just show them how to prop a phone up against a couple books or something.

I could be wrong, but I think they're trying to use the milk cartons as speakers, like when people stick their phone in a glass? But your first point is still 100% correct. I would throw it away in front of them though. That poo poo definitely calls for an intervention.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wanamingo posted:

quote:

The government said the findings would have a minimal impact on longevity figures, which are based on census data collated during home visits. In addition, men over 98 and women over 103 are not factored into life expectancy calculations.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

This kills the car.

Palpek posted:

Welp, my day is ruined.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Palpek posted:

Missing bologna rolodex.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Alaois posted:

see i just thought #collegedormhacks

That's what I thought of, but I also had a roommate that cooked and ate ramen out of our coffee pot.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Further evidence for my hypothesis that beamer drivers are idiot fuckwads.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Further evidence for my hypothesis that beamer drivers are idiot fuckwads.

One crazy lifehack your insurance agent hates! Depreciate your car's value in mere seconds!

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

The whole point of the rice-phone thing is that rice is cheap and everyone has enough of it in their house to quickly bury a phone in it as an emergency intervention. (Does it really not work? I didn't know that, but I guess it makes sense.) People don't do it because it's the best solution, it's just free and ubiquitous.

Rather than buying $40 worth of rice to lamely try and suck the rainwater out of your expensive SUV, you'd be better served buying some dessicants or a dehumidifier designed to handle a job that big. Wasting all that rice to most likely accomplish nothing is just stupid. Get some real tools.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

whiteyfats posted:

Um, do they know what is sold as wild rice in the US isn't actually rice?

They don't know anything. And "wild rice" (Zizania palustris) is fairly closely related to rice (Oryza sativa); the two genuses are part of the same tribe.

I mean, it's not crazy that European settlers of North America called Zizania "wild rice" seeing as it was an aquatic grass with edible grains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I like that the lifehack thread has gone full circle from people posting the urban legend of counterfeit plastic rice to woo-woo new age people declaring rice to be artificial.

It's like poetry, it rhymes.