Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I'm doing a Spectral Throw Duelist and man... I hope this guy never dies. On my way to the lab wondering what would be my best sub-class for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Sword and board, 2H or dual-wield?

Scags
Nov 12, 2005
I'm looking for a 'nova' type build. I am imagining running into a pack of mobs, and then blowing up in some way. Maybe frost nova or something like it. I was thinking Templar but I think i would do anything. Any recommendations?

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Scags posted:

I'm looking for a 'nova' type build. I am imagining running into a pack of mobs, and then blowing up in some way. Maybe frost nova or something like it. I was thinking Templar but I think i would do anything. Any recommendations?

That ZiggyD starter Heirophant build is probably pretty solid as a non-crit AoE base. Frost Nova would probably be a fine spell to use with that.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Scags posted:

You could do a Fakener (Fake Mjolnir) build.

Voll's Protector to give you a 100% chance for a power charge on critical strike
Cyclone - Cast on Crit - Frost Nova - Discharge

Having two different elements in your Cast on Crit is important to use Elemental Equilibrium. The first spell in the chain goes off first, drops the
elemental resistance against the 2nd spell in the chain. 2nd spell in the chain drops the elemental resistance for the start of the next CoC chain.

You could also do a dual-curse-blasphemy setup as well for Assassin's Mark (More Crits and crit damage, Frenzy charges) and Warlord's Mark (More life and mana leech, endurance charges) to boost the output of your Discharge as well. This would interfere a bit with Elemental Equilibrium, since you'd be doing more than one damage type at a time.

Shadow Trickster will get you free to cast Cyclone, Whirling Blades, and Lightning Warp, and more survivability through ES/Evasion.
Shaddow assassin will get you more damage output through higher crits.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Uhhh, Assassin's Mark gives Power charges, Poacher's gives Frenzy charges.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Hauki posted:

I'll get you in a bit.

No rush or anything.

I had a somewhat general question, but since I really like playing this game with just a mouse, I feel like I should buy a mouse that has more than 4 programmable buttons on it.

Does anyone have one they think is worth getting? Or how many buttons I would need?

One for each hotkey and the flasks, that'd be 12, right? Though the left click hot-key is sort of annoying, since I have to hold shift to actually cast a spell with it.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

The Real Foogla posted:

you need to target closer to yourself, in the direction you want to go (this btw shortens the cycle but keeps up the attacks per second, i.e. ups dps and mana consumption, this is also the reason increased movespeed increases cyclone dps)

basically cyclone checks where you click and goes there no matter what, that's why you overshoot single targets
Thanks, this helped a lot!

Got up to 64, through to the dried lake. Now I need to shuffle everything around, drop the blood magic passives for the gem, replace every slot, etc, etc,

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

whypick1 posted:

Sword and board, 2H or dual-wield?

2H

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I'd probably go Champion: Inspirational -> Unstoppable Hero -> Fortitude

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

I died last night with a 2H sword crit Ice Crash Slayer. I went Endless Hunger and Impact. If you have good leech, Endless Hunger is really nice defensively. I felt like I always had an Eternal life flask healing me. Too bad I thought I could fight Izaro with Vulnerability while wearing Abyssus. Definitely consider Slayer.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.

A Strange Aeon posted:

No rush or anything.

I had a somewhat general question, but since I really like playing this game with just a mouse, I feel like I should buy a mouse that has more than 4 programmable buttons on it.

Does anyone have one they think is worth getting? Or how many buttons I would need?

One for each hotkey and the flasks, that'd be 12, right? Though the left click hot-key is sort of annoying, since I have to hold shift to actually cast a spell with it.

I have a ROCCAT Nyth which lets you create your own layout of side buttons.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Scags posted:

Trypanon CoC! Use cyclone to cast frost and shock nova and since Trypanon always crits you don't have to invest in crit passives so you can have over 200% life and a lot of armor. If you go Juggernaut you can get Unstoppable (the move speed helps cyclone a lot with Trypanon 's slow rear end attack speed), Undeniable for the +1000 accuracy, and Unbreakable so you can be immune to stuns and get 15k+ armor with no shield. Takes Elemental Overload and Elemental Equilibrium for more damages! Cyclone + CoC + shock nova + frost nova + life leech + increased aoe/controlled destruction. Run Warlords mark + Enfeeble/Determination as curses. Trypanon is cheap as hell, you will need 30% movespeed boots, and then just get life/resists/armor on gear. I'm leveling with Sunder/EQ and a wideswing.

Tree: https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...v6PGj58uCkuAAA=

Some more traditional self cast nova builds:

shock nova
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1429122/page/1
frost nova
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1443142

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

When are people re rolling? Level 80?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

bakka bakka posted:

I died last night with a 2H sword crit Ice Crash Slayer. I went Endless Hunger and Impact. If you have good leech, Endless Hunger is really nice defensively. I felt like I always had an Eternal life flask healing me. Too bad I thought I could fight Izaro with Vulnerability while wearing Abyssus. Definitely consider Slayer.

I found it interesting that Slayer was near the bottom in every metric GGG showed the other day, as far as people choosing it / number of top 100 players using that class.

I'll be picking up Endless Hunger in Merciless, I went to the other side and got 20% inc aoe and free melee splash. It makes the game a lot of fun for melee! I swap between Glacial Hammer and Infernal Blow depending on the zone and mob resistances therein. With 10% more aoe from the tree and a 5L Marohi, my Infernal Blow in particular (since it's 18q) clears entire screens. Combine that with Blasphemy - Warlord's and whatever that spell that gives you attack speed and leech and frenzy charges at the cost of life degen is, I'm always running with 5 endurance and 3 frenzy charges and am just wrecking poo poo.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I've been doing IB facebreaker and it's much the same- 20q melee splash and 20q IB makes rooms disappear into a haze of gore.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger
Bubungo

Top Bunk Wanker fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 19, 2016

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

euphronius posted:

When are people re rolling? Level 80?

First was a witch with Occultist Bladefall/Poison crit stuff, which was oddly dull, then a witch with Necromancer Dominating Blow, still really fun at 75 except totally stumped by merciless Izaro, and now ranger with Pathfider Someshit which seems extremely broken/fun.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Could I grab a guild invite for BeneathBetweenAndBehind?
I haven't played for a while and this Cadiro guy keeps offering me crap and I don't know which crap is worth buying, it's very irritating to my inner hoarder.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Depends posted:

Could I grab a guild invite for BeneathBetweenAndBehind?
I haven't played for a while and this Cadiro guy keeps offering me crap and I don't know which crap is worth buying, it's very irritating to my inner hoarder.

If he's offering you uniques, just check them on http://poe.trade/ and see how it compares to just selling your coins or something.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
How significant is the "-# physical damage from attacks" on certain items such as Astramentis? Because it's a pretty rare mod and the value is always rather low, which feels like it's deceptive in that it might scale in some way.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

turboraton posted:

I'm doing a Spectral Throw Duelist and man... I hope this guy never dies. On my way to the lab wondering what would be my best sub-class for it.

He died... man I'm gonna miss that guy but there is no way I make another Spectral Throw char in a while.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

I tried asking for a guild invite on IRC but no officers seem to be around/awake, so I'll just put my request here. Charactername in profile.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Could I get a guild invite for character "ASpecialSnowflake".

I've been using an Ice Crash Berkerser setup (https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1289037), fun and tanky. The only stuff I've bought so far is a couple of skill gems. I tried Earthquake for a bit but I didn't like the delay that the quake had, so I might look at grabbing a Less Duration gem later.

What wasn't fun was getting my head kicked in by Izaro on my first trip to the Labyrinth. I didn't realise that the elemental pillars had to be disabled before I killed him in the first round, so when I ran into him the second time... :gibs:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ada posted:

How significant is the "-# physical damage from attacks" on certain items such as Astramentis? Because it's a pretty rare mod and the value is always rather low, which feels like it's deceptive in that it might scale in some way.

right now it's just another brick like light radius or life/mana on kill, so on uniques it's basically wasted space/flavor only

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Would the chaos damage from life leech from the The Retch be subject to multipliers from increased chaos damage nodes? I've got some stupid idea for a scion with Berserker/witch pathing for Leech and added chaos damage and want to know if it's a "incredibly stupid, won't work" or just "probably not very effective, have fun" level of dumb.

Fake Edit:

This damage cannot be modified by damage modifiers because it is considered as reflected damage. From the wiki. Reading is good.

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

Gibbo posted:

Would the chaos damage from life leech from the The Retch be subject to multipliers from increased chaos damage nodes? I've got some stupid idea for a scion with Berserker/witch pathing for Leech and added chaos damage and want to know if it's a "incredibly stupid, won't work" or just "probably not very effective, have fun" level of dumb.

Fake Edit:

This damage cannot be modified by damage modifiers because it is considered as reflected damage. From the wiki. Reading is good.

I feel like there might be a fun interaction here with the 100% of damage leeched as life after savage blow in berserker and with vaal pact.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Katasi posted:

I feel like there might be a fun interaction here with the 100% of damage leeched as life after savage blow in berserker and with vaal pact.

If you build towards it you can make the Retch deal a ridiculous amount of damage, but unfortunately it's based on the actual amount healed, so 100% life leech + vaal pact just means most of your leech will not damage enemies.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Count Uvula posted:

If you build towards it you can make the Retch deal a ridiculous amount of damage, but unfortunately it's based on the actual amount healed, so 100% life leech + vaal pact just means most of your leech will not damage enemies.

Slayer's Endless Hunger would probably work well, then. At least in theory -- it makes it so leech effects don't stop even when you get to 100% life. Hm.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

regulargonzalez posted:

Slayer's Endless Hunger would probably work well, then. At least in theory -- it makes it so leech effects don't stop even when you get to 100% life. Hm.

This is what I'm building towards actually.

I'll get back to the thread in a week after I find out if it works.

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 19, 2016

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Dear Izaro: gently caress you.

Edit: Thanks, Skyl3lazer got me a few hours ago!
VVVVVVV

Valle fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 19, 2016

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Valle posted:

I tried asking for a guild invite on IRC but no officers seem to be around/awake, so I'll just put my request here. Charactername in profile.

Looks like you are already in the guild, and everyone else on the last two pages is as well or invited. If you got missed let someone know.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Valle posted:

If he's offering you uniques, just check them on http://poe.trade/ and see how it compares to just selling your coins or something.

To elaborate: players are paying around 100 coins for a Chaos Orb right now, so look at a few offers to figure out the average Chaos price of an item and multiply by 100. If it typically goes for a single Chaos and he's asking a couple thousand coins you should probably skip it. If it actually looks like a good deal, ask in guild chat.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

What unique has the "your attacks are not prevented by insufficient mana" on it again?

In typing that I remembered the right wording to search for it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Gibbo posted:

What unique has the "your attacks are not prevented by insufficient mana" on it again?

soultaker

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.

Gibbo posted:

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Soul_Taker

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
RunnyCrits, sorry, Steam just dropped a patch on me which generally takes an hour to apply so I guess I won't be able to go along for that map :shrug:

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
You reminded me to try something and well

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Zerphi%27s_Last_Breath
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Fevered_Mind
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Scold%27s_Bridle

it works. Zerphi's works off of mana cost not mana used.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I bet someone else has tried this, so I'm gonna ask. RF totems (or any other totem build, really).

Soul Mantle (lvl 20 curse on you when your totems die/expire/unsummoned at totem cap, ignores curse limit) plus Self-Flagellation (10-20% increased Damage per curse on you). So, easily 7x20=140% inc Damage. Usually 5ish, which is still substantial (100%).

Question is: 1) is this practical, given that you're also tchain'd and vulnerability'd and ele weakness'd and conductivity'd and whatnot - the totem cast range is pretty short, 2) and is it practical enough to be worth using Kikazaru or Thief's Torment to reduce the impact of curses

3) if not, what's a good way to indefinitely sustain flask charges for curse immunity?

ronya fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm running tshot (with snakebite) as Deadeye, should I take Sharp and Venomous or Far Shot for my last ascendancy? Also what glove/boot enchants are good for me?

• Locked thread