Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Help Im Alive posted:

How does a company end up going broke when they've got Monster Hunter/Street Fighter/Resident Evil/Mega Man/Ace Attorney/Devil May Cry etc etc

Megaman has never made good money compared to the 3 you listed first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Help Im Alive posted:

How does a company end up going broke when they've got Monster Hunter/Street Fighter/Resident Evil/Mega Man/Ace Attorney/Devil May Cry etc etc

serial mismanagement of everything but the first

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Help Im Alive posted:

I can't speak for all of them but just a lot of bad decisions with those franchises have hurt them (RE6 bombed and DMC had that poor remake) that they've only recently started to fix (The RE: Revelations games have been decent and they did a remake of DMC4 awhile back). IDK if they're 'broke' but they definitely made a deal with Sony to get SFV made.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
edit: ^^^Monster Hunter is probably the thing keeping them afloat. That franchise prints nerd dollars at an astonishing rate, and also deserves to be doing that.

Can somebody explain Karin's "Perfect Hubby" title to me? Because I did a little :staredog: when I unlocked it the other week and promptly forgot it existed until just now. Unless I missed a beat in her backstory, I kind of don't understand the context of that title.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Zand posted:

play a different genre like beatemups or a different fighter with a cool combo system imo, there is nothing in a game like this outside of competing with other human beings since the combo system is so dry. i dont think this game is going to go on sale until they have more than a few DLC things for purchase

Hmmm yeah I do want to play this eventually just because it's like the biggest name fighting game out there. And sometimes I get to play vs my brothers. But also I'm a person who spent way more time in the story mode of mortal kombat than actually fighting online :blush: Yeah I know I'm a scrub.

bhsman posted:

If you're planning to grab it on Steam, just add it to your Wishlist and it'll likely get a discount in a few months.

Thanks, yeah a few months is probably a good DLC window as well, it would make sense. Guess I'll just have to wait and see if capcom makes the game better than what I hear of it now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Because that guy is probably blowing smoke out of his rear end.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Help Im Alive posted:

How does a company end up going broke when they've got Monster Hunter

Really, that's about it.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Dragon's Dogemas also is pure win, but won't have any sequels and didn't make any money

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

deadly_pudding posted:

edit: ^^^Monster Hunter is probably the thing keeping them afloat. That franchise prints nerd dollars at an astonishing rate, and also deserves to be doing that.

Can somebody explain Karin's "Perfect Hubby" title to me? Because I did a little :staredog: when I unlocked it the other week and promptly forgot it existed until just now. Unless I missed a beat in her backstory, I kind of don't understand the context of that title.

She's your waifu, gawd do I need to explain everything these days

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
They didn't out source it. They licenced an existing technology to handle the server technology. Loads of companies do this.

This isn't the software that handles game inputs and rollback.

Capcom are responsible for that code themselves, so are directly to blame or praise depending on you feelings.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Help Im Alive posted:

Capcom's list of IPs is second only to Nintendo. Too bad they've pretty much managed to botch almost every single one and the company is a shell of its former self.

Capcom still seems pretty good when compared to Konami, though.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

fozzy fosbourne posted:

GG Xrd was "made" by epic games

there's a difference between using an engine or other tech made by another company and just having another group actually develop your game for you

xrd was made in house by arcsys and they did a lot of goofy poo poo to make 3D models move like 2D, that's not the same as just getting the people responsible for sonic 4 to program your game and then having to patch it when it keeps loving up

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Shiki Dan posted:

We're still doing registration through Friday night so more than likely SFV will actually end up with 1000+

Awesome. Here's hoping you hit it!

E:
A lot of people are mentioning vsync and what not.

What should I have turned off for PC version of SFV?

Microwaves Mom fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 18, 2016

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

darealkooky posted:

why can't big company capcom just make their own videogame instead of outsourcing it to random poo poo companies like dimps and these guys

You might be surprised how often games get developed by an uncredited third party in Japan. There's a Polygon article on the subject.

Really though, if you look at SF5, which supposedly had a greater degree of Capcom development involvement than SF4, I don't know if I want to see what kind of poo poo we'd have gotten if it was 100% in-house. Putting aside what anyone may think about SF4's design decisions (which were hopefully not left up to Dimps in the first place), at least it basically worked, launched without features missing, and had less input lag.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Koldenblue posted:

So how long do people think it'll be before this goes on sale? Did SFIV, or Capcom's games in general, take a long time to go on sale? I hear at least they're only ever going to release a single physical version of this, and then all future content is just downloaded, thank god.

I'm really only a casual fighting game fan who's actually interested in arcade / offline modes and such, so no way I can justify spending full price on what is apparently a half finished game.

If you're looking at the PC version then it will be sooner rather than later since PC game prices are in a funky place right now that really benefits the user if you buy from sites outside of Steam

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Dragon's Dogemas also is pure win, but won't have any sequels and didn't make any money

For what it's worth Capcom has straight up said that the PC port they put out recently has been their best selling PC port to date

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Srice posted:

If you're looking at the PC version then it will be sooner rather than later since PC game prices are in a funky place right now that really benefits the user if you buy from sites outside of Steam

Is GMG still doing their 1/3 off thing? I assumed that ended with release, but maybe not.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

bhsman posted:

Is GMG still doing their 1/3 off thing? I assumed that ended with release, but maybe not.

Not quite that much right now but they currently have a 23% off coupon on their main page that might be eligible.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Srice posted:

For what it's worth Capcom has straight up said that the PC port they put out recently has been their best selling PC port to date

They probably meant fastest selling, as I think most of these are technically ports: http://steamspy.com/dev/Capcom

Of course it'll get bumped up as it goes on sale, but probably not enough to triple the sales.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Double Bill posted:

They probably meant fastest selling, as I think most of these are technically ports: http://steamspy.com/dev/Capcom

Of course it'll get bumped up as it goes on sale, but probably not enough to triple the sales.

Ah yeah that could be it

Either way it sounded like it went way past their expectations so that's cool

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Is there any good reason at all that this game shouldn't be able to store the result of a ranked match the instant that second KO is recognized by the server instead of having to wait the many seconds it takes to start the victory animation? Because it really doesn't seem like it, and it seems like it would stop so many ragequitters.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 19, 2016

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
If assume some particularly roll-backy matches would result in several wins or even wins for both players of results were reported at the moment of knockout.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

If assume some particularly roll-backy matches would result in several wins or even wins for both players of results were reported at the moment of knockout.

Ah, right. That makes a lot of sense, actually.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
After not watching a USFIV match in a while, I am suddenly reminded how much I didn't like the in game commentator.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

After not watching a USFIV match in a while, I am suddenly reminded how much I didn't like the in game commentator.

bring back the alpha 3 guy

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

A.o.D. posted:

look fish will fry at this location and you'll like it

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

A.o.D. posted:

Isn't it implied to be Seth, pulling the strings to assemble the world's strongest fighters for SIN's experiments?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

bhsman posted:

Isn't it implied to be Seth, pulling the strings to assemble the world's strongest fighters for SIN's experiments?

:chloe:

Man that's even worse

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

3S announcer still the best.

YEAH, THAT MAKES SENSE!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

E: Thanks doublepost

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

fozzy fosbourne posted:

:chloe:

Man that's even worse

I kinda liked it \:shobon:/ It's the same voice actor, IIRC

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

bhsman posted:

I kinda liked it \:shobon:/ It's the same voice actor, IIRC

Seth makes a mean fish filet then.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Sometimes in a moment when im finding myself challenged by life or afraid to act i'll remember "FORGET DANGER! YOU CAN'T BE SAFE ANYWAY!!" and face to bloodshed

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

how do i instant divekick with cammy? is it 2,1,9k or do i need to do the full motion?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Real hurthling! posted:

how do i instant divekick with cammy? is it 2,1,9k or do i need to do the full motion?

The best answer you can get for execution questions like these is by downloading a replay featuring a high-level Cammy (Poongko and Kazunoko both play her, so follow those guys) and watching the replay with inputs turned on. Watch how they do stuff and try to mimic it as best as possible.

DaFeetLee is maintaining a list of high-level players broken down by their preferred character at the link below. Probably a good thing to have, might even be worth adding to the OP?

https://dafeetlee.wordpress.com/cfn-strong-player-list/

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/jwonggg/status/710955799925882880

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Anyone have some recommended CA setups for Vega? Right now the only thing I can do consistently other than just throwing it out is using it as a followup to his V-trigger, which obviously limits its ability to impact the earlier half of a round.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

SFV 5v5 team tourney on https://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

I thought about sharing this way earlier but thought it would be too obvious of me. :ohdear:

Spiritus Nox posted:

Anyone have some recommended CA setups for Vega? Right now the only thing I can do consistently other than just throwing it out is using it as a followup to his V-trigger, which obviously limits its ability to impact the earlier half of a round.

If you haven't already seen it, look up 'Bafael Vega bread and butter' on Youtube.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

What a feat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

bhsman posted:

I thought about sharing this way earlier but thought it would be too obvious of me. :ohdear:

If you haven't already seen it, look up 'Bafael Vega bread and butter' on Youtube.

I saw that. I just spent about an hour trying to do the qcb MP xx CA, and I think I only got it once. My thumb hates me now.