Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

The MSJ posted:

9 Empire covers for the movie.

Psylocke looks like she was ripped straight out of a Mortal Combat sequel, pose and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Marketing New Brain posted:

Psylocke looks like she was ripped straight out of a Mortal Combat sequel, pose and all.

Dude, come on, *Kombat

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

wyoming posted:

poo poo, if they've given her the Rogue treatment, I'm gonna be pissed.

No one ever gave a gently caress about Jubilee, now matter how hard Marvel tried to convince us otherwise.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Grendels Dad posted:

It looks like they forgot to photoshop in Sophie Turner's jetpack.

edit: Quicksilver noticed, too!

Jean Grey can fly though?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Hat Thoughts posted:

Dude, come on, *Kombat

This generation is so hosed.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Dude, come on, *Kombat

Almost fainted when I saw his typo, thank god you were here.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

X-Men trailer looks great but is so dramatic and high-stakes that I wish they'd start the Deadpool integration right there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Something about that trailer is giving me X-Men 3 vibes. I think the trailer for X-Men 3 was similar in that it focused on the gigantic, potentially world changing stakes, and teased this big dramatic showdown. But then the movie came out and none of it held together at all and it was all very anticlimactic.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 18, 2016

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Bryan Singer probably wants to finish this movie, though.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Glamorama26 posted:

Almost fainted when I saw his typo, thank god you were here.
The same thing happens when I see people type "Mario Cart." Like, what the gently caress, you're the worst.

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?
Pretty sure Sophie Turner comes from the Josh Hartnet run school of Harrison Ford acting.

That said these X-Men trailers look like garbage but the movies have been surprisingly good for a watch or two.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Nateron posted:

That said these X-Men trailers look like garbage but the movies have been surprisingly good for a watch or two.

I agree that the trailer doesn't look good.

I also haven't liked any of the X-Men films since the first two came out. They haven't aged well, for me, anyway - and the new ones were trash. I guess I enjoyed First Class - but the muddled timelines bugged me - and I didn't think the last one was good at all. I'll be skipping this one til it hits streams or something.

I'll wait for the first proper post-Deadpool X-film.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I watched First Class about two years after it came out and all I could think the whole time was that the special effects looked loving terrible. Like distractingly bad.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Not sure if this is the best place to discuss this but I recently saw American Hero and man, what a wasted premise. If you didn't like Hancock because the plot didn't really go anywhere, you will hate this movie. A lot of the scenes are individually well shot, but there isn't really a plot and nothing really happens. The worst thing is they have a bunch of little clues that make you think hey, something might happen at some point? But nothing ever does.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

xmen 2 and the past parts of days of future past are good. apocalypse looks more like an x3 to me.

also bald young xavier is really funny and every time i saw him in the theater as a trailer stinger i almost couldn't stifle myself

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Mordiceius posted:

I watched First Class about two years after it came out and all I could think the whole time was that the special effects looked loving terrible. Like distractingly bad.

Yeah for some reason even the newer X films look really cheap and amateurish. Superman and Thor flying looks perfect, but the X-men are still floating around weightlessly on obvious wires.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
I like this current swing of x-men movies but none of them really match up to first class yet. First class despite its flaws had such a charm and such a sense of adventure. Like it felt like a comic book brought to life to me. The rest, although still full of charm some how feel off. Too much Jlaw, too much wolverine, too much END OF THE WORLD STAKES, it all just feels manufactured.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

First Class was great because it was as much a Roger Moore Bond movie (despite the sixties setting) as it was an X-Men movie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to discuss this but I recently saw American Hero and man, what a wasted premise. If you didn't like Hancock because the plot didn't really go anywhere, you will hate this movie. A lot of the scenes are individually well shot, but there isn't really a plot and nothing really happens. The worst thing is they have a bunch of little clues that make you think hey, something might happen at some point? But nothing ever does.

Yeah it really felt more like a character piece about a guy trying to get his life back together so he can see his kid again but he just so happens to have super powers which are another distraction/temptation he has to deal with in his life. 'Wasted potential' is one of the obvious themes running through the film but I wasn't really sure it was addressed at all by the end of the film.

The filmmaker might have been trying to make Melvin might have been a metaphor for the USA itself - he has a gigantic amount of power combined with booksmarts and good intentions but he's constantly distracted by frivolous partying, drugs and booze and old timey religion. When he does man up and try to affect change he goes for the nuclear option rather than the longterm smart option, which itself causes problems for himself and his friends. He just can't understand why his life isn't as great as he always imagined it and when he tries to bootstrap himself into a better person that doesn't work either.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah it really felt more like a character piece about a guy trying to get his life back together so he can see his kid again but he just so happens to have super powers which are another distraction/temptation he has to deal with in his life. 'Wasted potential' is one of the obvious themes running through the film but I wasn't really sure it was addressed at all by the end of the film.

The filmmaker might have been trying to make Melvin might have been a metaphor for the USA itself - he has a gigantic amount of power combined with booksmarts and good intentions but he's constantly distracted by frivolous partying, drugs and booze and old timey religion. When he does man up and try to affect change he goes for the nuclear option rather than the longterm smart option, which itself causes problems for himself and his friends. He just can't understand why his life isn't as great as he always imagined it and when he tries to bootstrap himself into a better person that doesn't work either.

This is such a good analysis of the film and now I want to watch it again.
Cheers man.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think the problem is that the newer movies still look like that awkward first X-Men movie, with black leather suits and weird design choices like Mystique. Marvel and Sony have managed to adapt super hero costumes to the big screen, but the X-Men movies are still going with that awful design theme they started with.

The movies themselves have been pretty good since First Class, they just look super ugly.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I don't know where this is from but :allears:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Thats a really bad sunburn

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

teagone posted:

I don't know where this is from but :allears:

I believe this came from Gal Gadot's twitter.

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

Oasx posted:

I think the problem is that the newer movies still look like that awkward first X-Men movie, with black leather suits and weird design choices like Mystique. Marvel and Sony have managed to adapt super hero costumes to the big screen, but the X-Men movies are still going with that awful design theme they started with.

The movies themselves have been pretty good since First Class, they just look super ugly.

Yeah they keep going back to that. The movies costumes were the best when they embraced the silliness in First Class. They need to go Avengers/JL and have them look individual. Hell if I know.

Go Team Iron Man.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

God drat I am so excited for Batman vs. Superman next week.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Wrong thread.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I said come in! posted:

God drat I am so excited for Batman vs. Superman next week.

It's almost here! :D :D

Articles are coming out again on how Man of Steel destroyed Superman and the babies are crying in the comments on how "he killed!" "he let Pa Kent die!" "Pa Kent said kill children!!"

E:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robsalk...f/#449f8aac47d8

quote:

Warner Brothers Destroyed Superman's Brand For Their New Franchise. Will It Pay Off?

Strictly speaking, Superman the character has taken a life on occasion. But the bigger question – and one that is appropriately discussed in a business publication like Forbes rather than a fan site – is, does Superman the brand stand for killing?

The answer to that, historically, is no. Does it matter that Warner Brothers has changed the Superman brand significantly in this way? I’d argue yes.

And we are not talking about just any brand here. We are talking about one of the most powerful and positive brands in American history, one that captured the imagination of generations and is instantly recognizable to almost everyone on the planet. The question is, will their decision pay off?

cont'd

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 19, 2016

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

It's almost here! :D :D

Articles are coming out again on how Man of Steel destroyed Superman and the babies are crying in the comments on how "he killed!" "he let Pa Kent die!" "Pa Kent said kill children!!"

E:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robsalk...f/#449f8aac47d8

Haha jesus. I love that this guy brings up Kingdom Come, a story where Superman flies to the U.N. and almost kills a building full of powerless people (these were the people who nuked the superheros but also there were probably a ton of innocent interns and staff members who had nothing to do with that decision) for pure revenge. Also he doesn't stop on his own but has to be talked out of it by some preacher who gets teleported in. Coincidentally, this story was written by Mark Waid, the comic writer who whined the loudest about MoS.

This just proves that to these people (even a legendary writer like Waid) it's simply an on/off "did Superman kill: yes/no" question. He didn't kill in Kingdom Come even though he had the murder of hundreds of people including innocents in mind when he was going to demolish the U.N. building: the important takeaway is that he didn't end up going through with it. It doesn't matter that in MoS he had no choice but to kill Zod and it was a snap decision to save innocent lives that he immediately mourned: the takeaway is that Superman is a killer now.

It's one thing to just casually gloss over poo poo directly from the comics, it's another to evoke stories (even ones you wrote in Waid's case) while completely ignoring major scenes/themes from them. And then conversely blow poo poo way out of proportions from the movie.

Also the most hilariously hyperbolic quote from the article:

quote:

Were there some exceptions? Sure. Superman has been continuously published in the comics for over 75 years, and among the thousands of stories that hundreds of creators have told, a few are “off brand” or indulge the whims of folks who thought it was a good idea to “go there” just for the sake of being edgy and different. It’s the same kind of thinking that leads people to pitch stuff like “let’s tell the story of how Strawberry Shortcake got molested by her pervy uncle” or “how about having Scooby and the gang sent to a Turkish prison.” Missteps of that sort are perfectly predictable in an industry where professionals labor to make characters created for children relevant to an audience that is now mostly adults.

What a loving loon.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I reference to Forbes.com articles as "fancy blog posts", because that's what they usually are.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

quote:

Hughes argues that, within the plot dynamics of the movie, Superman had little choice but to kill Zod the way he did. That’s true, but there’s nothing that dictated the film had to come down to that kind of life-or-death decision. The story could have resolved with Superman sending Zod back to the Phantom Zone, or shrinking him to the size of an ant and keeping him in a bottle, or sending him forward in time to the end of the universe. If extreme justice were really called for, there are dozens of ways for villains to get caught in their own traps or falling victim to their own evil impulses. You don’t create a scene that forces your hero to kill the bad guy unless you are determined to make a statement about the character.
This is an important paragraph. The writers of Man of Steel could have contrived a non-lethal way for Superman to kill Zod. But the way it went down didn't do a disservice to the character. Superman really had no choice and he hated what he did. If you think Superman's soul has been tainted by the simple act of having killed, you really have a strange sense of morality. What happens when you apply this logic to every other hero who kills, like Luke Skywalker or Indiana Jones or Aragorn? Or all the soldiers and cops who had to kill as part of their duties? It's as if geeks compartmentalize their standards.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

quote:

Hughes argues that, within the plot dynamics of the movie, Superman had little choice but to kill Zod the way he did. That’s true, but there’s nothing that dictated the film had to come down to that kind of life-or-death decision. The story could have resolved with Superman sending Zod back to the Phantom Zone, or shrinking him to the size of an ant and keeping him in a bottle, or sending him forward in time to the end of the universe. If extreme justice were really called for, there are dozens of ways for villains to get caught in their own traps or falling victim to their own evil impulses. You don’t create a scene that forces your hero to kill the bad guy unless you are determined to make a statement about the character.

"You don't have to kill him, you could just exile him to a blasted hellscape / keep him in solitary confinement forever" is already pooh-poohing a pretty complicated and ugly choice, but the bolded part is the stupidest thing in the entire article.

"The villain dies after falling into his own trap" thing, at least if it's portrayed in the usual way, signifies two things; that evil is self-defeating, and that evil people deserve to die. The first idea is awful because it promotes inactivity and trusting that the world will naturally work itself out in a just way. The second idea is awful because nobody deserves to die, that's why killing is wrong. Without "nobody deserves to die," a no-kill rule is inconsistent and hypocritical -- it's just saying "our hands should remain clean."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The second idea is awful because nobody deserves to die, that's why killing is wrong. Without "nobody deserves to die," a no-kill rule is inconsistent and hypocritical -- it's just saying "our hands should remain clean."

That's how a significant amount of people think. For example, a lot of people oppose intervention in the middle east because they think we're then responsible for everything that happens during it. The actual conflict is something close to "those drat Arabs are just too bloodthirsty to be reasoned with".

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"You don't have to kill him, you could just exile him to a blasted hellscape / keep him in solitary confinement forever" is already pooh-poohing a pretty complicated and ugly choice, but the bolded part is the stupidest thing in the entire article.

"The villain dies after falling into his own trap" thing, at least if it's portrayed in the usual way, signifies two things; that evil is self-defeating, and that evil people deserve to die. The first idea is awful because it promotes inactivity and trusting that the world will naturally work itself out in a just way. The second idea is awful because nobody deserves to die, that's why killing is wrong. Without "nobody deserves to die," a no-kill rule is inconsistent and hypocritical -- it's just saying "our hands should remain clean."

The cliched way to write a scene where the hero kills the villain in an acceptable manner is to have the hero utterly defeat the villain and make a small speech about how his reign of terror is ended and then turn around and start to walk off, then the villain draws a hidden weapon and goes to kill the hero so the hero suddenly spins around and shoots the villain dead in self defence. I've seen it happen dozens of times and it's the laziest Just World fallacy bullshit.

Guy A. Person posted:

in MoS he had no choice but to kill Zod and it was a snap decision
:v:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 19, 2016

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Welllll poo poo lol

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

computer parts posted:

That's how a significant amount of people think. For example, a lot of people oppose intervention in the middle east because they think we're then responsible for everything that happens during it. The actual conflict is something close to "those drat Arabs are just too bloodthirsty to be reasoned with".

In fairness, I would be all over a Superman movie where he thinks like that -- I mean, he's the son of farmers from middle America, it wouldn't be that strange and he could still genuinely try to be a good person and even succeed in other respects -- but ultimately has to confront the consequences of that thinking.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's really unfair to say Superman is tainted in Man of Steel over killing Zod who just straight up was going to wipe out all life on earth in order to create a new world for himself and his radical military diehards. You could make the argument that Zod wasn't even a person anyways since everything about him, from the moment he was created, was to kill and destroy in order to make way for his own race of massive failures.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Killing Zod is a good scene, but I wish there was another scene that really tested the "kill/don't kill" argument earlier. Just to give it more of a pay off at the end.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I feel like it's perfectly okay to change some of this stuff about these super heroes. Batman in this new movie clearly kills people without mercy. Watch the latest trailer, he is body slamming bad guys through floors and slamming them head first into hard objects, no way anyone in that room he took out survived those brutal attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The Russo Brothers just posted another behind the scenes video with a finished cut of Civil War and an amazing interview with Chris Evans as he watches it for the first time.

https://www.facebook.com/TheRussoBrothersOfficial/videos/745099152292686/

• Locked thread