Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tracula posted:

It depends on when it came out. Lance will do any movie for 50bux and a bottle of Jack these days it seems. I think by '89 he still had a little credibility but these days look at his loving IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000448/

He's literally doing like 7+ movies a year :psyduck:

He was in The Visitor in '79, so credibility destroyed. Also, Allison and Phelan, do The Visitor some time. Brad could do it too. It is a disco fever dream from the third scene, then goes insane about 20 minutes from the end even though you think it's been insane the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

DStecks posted:

Curtis Craig is still the only canonically bisexual man to be the sole player character of a game.

I was sure that this couldn't be true, but holy poo poo, it really is. That game is literally 20 years old.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme

DStecks posted:

Curtis Craig is still the only canonically bisexual man to be the sole player character of a game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NrsM1uGsKs&t=310s

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So Channel Awesome has finally started to launch its dedicated Comic Book show, and well...this guy they got running it...

Look, I can tell he's trying but....no. Just no. Maybe he'll get better with practice, but I doubt it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So Channel Awesome has finally started to launch its dedicated Comic Book show, and well...this guy they got running it...

Look, I can tell he's trying but....no. Just no. Maybe he'll get better with practice, but I doubt it.

Did Linkara ditch CA too?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did Linkara ditch CA too?

Nope. But this guy is doing good comics too I guess. Right now they've got him reporting on C2E2, which basically involves him asking two former Power Rangers if they're involved in the new movie.

edit: and he has sidekicks. Also untalented. I mean, I'd be delighted if they could mature as personalities, people who could develop into genuine entertainers. But holy god they're painful on their own and insufferable when all together.

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 20, 2016

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

surf rock posted:

I was sure that this couldn't be true, but holy poo poo, it really is. That game is literally 20 years old.

Furthermore, there's never been a single canonically gay man to be the sole player character of a video game. At least, if we're talking about non-independently released games. Not that I can even name any indie games with a gay male PC. Batman doesn't count.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

DStecks posted:

Batman doesn't count.

:mad:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Solid Snake

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Big Boss too. He's so gay for Kaz.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Holy poo poo, the driving over the guys skull montage had me in tears.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It would have taken like 3 line changes for Ezio, but Ubisoft is staffed by cowards.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

e X posted:

Holy poo poo, the driving over the guys skull montage had me in tears.

That's a 100 percent a real guy's head that got accidentally run over right? I mean, the way he reacted. I mean, it's funny but goddamn.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Terrible Opinions posted:

It would have taken like 3 line changes for Ezio, but Ubisoft is staffed by cowards.

I can't tell if you're serious or not.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I guess he's not the sole playable character because it's a strategy game, but Ike from Fire Emblem is definitely gay.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Mokinokaro posted:

Big Boss too. He's so gay for Kaz.

Pretty sure the entire MGS cast is pan as gently caress.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TheMaestroso posted:

I can't tell if you're serious or not.

His relationship with da Vinci had some pretty serious coding.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Darth Walrus posted:

His relationship with da Vinci had some pretty serious coding.

I could see those two being more than a bromance, I guess. I was questioning the use of "cowards" more than anything else.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

lol if you didn't already know that every decision-making-person at every major publisher is an absolute sniveling coward. They couldn't even muster up the courage to tell people to stop sending their own employees death threats, let alone make the player character in a AAA action game anything but a 100% unchallenging straight male power fantasy, with at best some additional options.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

You have the causality wrong. It's not accurate to blame employees for perceived personal cowardice.

Major publishing companies are not 'corrupted' by those who lack courage. The system itself is corruptive and ultimately self-destructive. At its core, liberal capitalism systemically oppresses free will and artistry in the act of making it all too often a good business decision to 'play it safe' for money.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

You have the causality wrong. It's not accurate to blame employees for perceived personal cowardice.

Major publishing companies are not 'corrupted' by those who lack courage. The system itself is corruptive and ultimately self-destructive. At its core, liberal capitalism systemically oppresses free will and artistry in the act of making it all too often a good business decision to 'play it safe' for money.

Yeah, just like how there are literally no films or tv shows ever with a gay protagonist, and how Hollywood rolled over and played dead back when terrorist attacks were threatened if The Interview got released, absolutely nobody raised a stink about it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I feel like we are moving away from how weird it is that loving Phantasmagoria 2 dealt with subjects basically no other non-indie video game deals with.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

DStecks posted:

Yeah, just like how there are literally no films or tv shows ever with a gay protagonist, and how Hollywood rolled over and played dead back when terrorist attacks were threatened if The Interview got released, absolutely nobody raised a stink about it.

Sony wasn't going to release the interview until the government sent them straight. sony had no balls, but everyone in congress I guess did. which is sad when you have less of a spine then the senate.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 20, 2016

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I feel like we are moving away from how weird it is that loving Phantasmagoria 2 dealt with subjects basically no other non-indie video game deals with.

the whole therapy section in that game was groundbreaking that the more progressive indie devs can't touch that poo poo. him explaning about how his mom ues to dress him up as a girl was just mindblowing. gone home ant got poo poo on Phantamagoria 2.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 20, 2016

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

DStecks posted:

I 100% agree that games have more progress to make than other media, but the problem stems from the same source.

The very, very slow, heels-dragging acceptance of the idea of gay protagonists in mainstream tv and film is not proof of the 'de-cowardisation' of the producers in those mediums. It implies the opposite - a deeper, economic stranglehold, wherein for a very long time it was '''just''' '''good business''' to not 'risk' having a nonstraight main character.

It's also why the indie scene or lower-budget studios tend to take the most risks and push the envelope more often. The under-representation of minority groups in media is a straight up expression of class conflict.

Cyron, all movies are made to make money. That is, partially, the issue. Once you get out of the kiddie pool you have to start thinking about audience appeal of ideas, and what would 'get popular'. That's partially why I have never left the kiddie pool. I don't like appealing to people.

Splash.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I've always thought that the best way to do non "traditional family values as determined by the US South" is to do it and not make a big deal about it. Don't VERY SPECIAL EPISODE OF BLOSSOM it. If someone is gay don't make it a thing. Just have it there if it comes up but don't hang a giant sign on it. That way it can be seen as normal.

Sort of like how the mid 00s Doctor Who had a ton of interracial relationships but didn't even make it out to be anything other than just like any other relationships out there. It causes genuine meaningful change and only the biggest assholes will freak out about it. For younger people it will work as old WASP types aren't going to change anyhow and if you try to force it or proselytize it on folks it will just cause the opposite effect.

Hell, one of the main characters in Shadowrun Hong Kong is a gay dude and it merely comes up in a conversation. It's not made out to be any big deal as it should be. It's a part of him but merely a part. Who you like to bang shouldn't be your entirety of personality anyhow and someone flamboyantly gay is just as annoying as the frat dude bro. We are all really the same regardless of what people seem to think. Most folks don't want to hear about your sex and relationship activities no matter what gender you or your partners are.

I dunno. Maybe my thoughts on the matter just make the left and right sides think I am bad. :smith:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Captain Rufus posted:

I've always thought that the best way to do non "traditional family values as determined by the US South" is to do it and not make a big deal about it. Don't VERY SPECIAL EPISODE OF BLOSSOM it. If someone is gay don't make it a thing. Just have it there if it comes up but don't hang a giant sign on it. That way it can be seen as normal.

There's a great trans character in Technobabylon in Regis' partner Max. When it comes up while they're chatting about Max's history, the conversation turns to only how good Max's surgeon was because Regis had no idea.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Hbomberguy posted:

Cyron, all movies are made to make money. That is, partially, the issue. Once you get out of the kiddie pool you have to start thinking about audience appeal of ideas, and what would 'get popular'. That's partially why I have never left the kiddie pool. I don't like appealing to people.

Splash.

sorry I deleted that post since it was dumb and replace it with more complements for Phantamagoria 2.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DStecks posted:

lol if you didn't already know that every decision-making-person at every major publisher is an absolute sniveling coward. They couldn't even muster up the courage to tell people to stop sending their own employees death threats, let alone make the player character in a AAA action game anything but a 100% unchallenging straight male power fantasy, with at best some additional options.

Sorry bro that was a joke.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

You might have been joking but Ezio is legitimately one of a vanishingly tiny handful of male player characters who you could call sexualized. Which is loving bizarre, I mean, making Ezio a hottie with a sense of fun is not weird or alienating to straight men, it still works as a male fantasy, but the games industry is so loving set on the specific juvenile fantasy of gruff, brooding antiheroes that it's rare you ever even see a video game PC with the attitude of, say, a MCU superhero. It's all Liam Neeson all the way, and that fantasy does nothing for me anymore.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Like Ezio in a different game culture would definitely be gay or bi, but in the current one he's just fairly fun and friends with a historical figure who was gay.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

AssCreed could easily have a main character with a non-heteronormative sexuality. The games aren't very much about sexuality, so playing as a male character who's into dudes isn't a huge structure-changing issue.

In fact once the stories stopped focusing on the bond between father and son as a metaphor for the world we leave to our children (2 through 3 reeeaally focus on this) it almost completely ditched the premise' logistics of how the memories were passed on. In the latest one you play as two twins at once. If the genetic memories thing is in play, that's totally hosed up.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

DStecks posted:

You might have been joking but Ezio is legitimately one of a vanishingly tiny handful of male player characters who you could call sexualized. Which is loving bizarre, I mean, making Ezio a hottie with a sense of fun is not weird or alienating to straight men, it still works as a male fantasy, but the games industry is so loving set on the specific juvenile fantasy of gruff, brooding antiheroes that it's rare you ever even see a video game PC with the attitude of, say, a MCU superhero. It's all Liam Neeson all the way, and that fantasy does nothing for me anymore.

I do agree with you that the triple A gams are too full of themselves but i feel there is a good chunk of gamers who despise these type of games.

I mean watchdog is seen as a bomb and splatoon, undertale and rocket league are games that are seen on a ton of top 10's of 2015.

Hbomberguy posted:

AssCreed could easily have a main character with a non-heteronormative sexuality. The games aren't very much about sexuality, so playing as a male character who's into dudes isn't a huge structure-changing issue.

In fact once the stories stopped focusing on the bond between father and son as a metaphor for the world we leave to our children (2 through 3 reeeaally focus on this) it almost completely ditched the premise' logistics of how the memories were passed on. In the latest one you play as two twins at once. If the genetic memories thing is in play, that's totally hosed up.

I would have liked the series more if it wasn't for the future parts, I rather run around in the shadows of renaissance then be taken away to the no to far future.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 21, 2016

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

DStecks posted:

0it's rare you ever even see a video game PC with the attitude of, say, a MCU superhero. It's all Liam Neeson all the way, and that fantasy does nothing for me anymore.

Dammit, now I wan't a Captain America game with Chris Evans doing the VO work.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

BigRed0427 posted:

gently caress it I am watching winter solder again. best MCU movie IMO.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Cyron posted:

gently caress it I am watching winter solder again. best MCU movie IMO.

Good idea, but right now i'm watching Daredevil. 4 episodes in and I love how their trying to characterize Kingpin.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rtiZ7_y2Sk

Oh my god, the Dingo Pictures version of Peter Pan is somehow even worse than everything else that they've done. At least everything else has more than one voice actor

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Testekill posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rtiZ7_y2Sk

Oh my god, the Dingo Pictures version of Peter Pan is somehow even worse than everything else that they've done. At least everything else has more than one voice actor

Captain Hook's hand got wet. It's completely useless!

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

BigRed0427 posted:

Your wish was granted about 5 years ago, as long as you had one of the consoles it came out on.

Unless by that you meant a better one, then sure.

Gnome de plume fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

The AAA industry can't even make a Tony Stark type, and that is 110% male indulgence fantasy, that is how stuck they are on rough, grizzled, brooding "badasses".

The worst thing is that I actually know a guy who digs that kind of character. His tastes are astonishingly juvenile, and his creative sensibilities are utterly derivative. A Troper would tell him to get a little less rote.

• Locked thread