Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Can anyone clue me in why everyone's so gung-ho on getting a Vive instead of Rift CV?
I mean... Everyone i talk to seems convinced it's "years ahead of Rift". Then when i ask them about it, it turns out they're comparing Rift DK2 to consumer Vive and never tried consumer Rift.

They're pretty well matched, IMHO.

Screens are the same.
Headset motion tracking quality is the same.
Optics on the Rift are better.
Rift includes an audio solution, Vive does not.
Out of the box, Vive is more expensive, but comes with controllers - you'll need to wait for Rift controllers a slight bit longer.
Out of the box, motion range for Rift is worse, but when Touch comes out, you'll be able to hook up multiple cameras (Touch comes with a secondary one in the box, in fact) expanding the range.
However, you'll never get full room coverage with the Rift, unlike Vive.
Battery life on Vive controllers is poo poo, we still need to see how the Touch will fare.

If you tally all the pros and cons, and compare apples to apples (so Rift with Touch price tacked on), they're about even.

Where's the sudden Rift hate coming from?

e: I mean, i'm not against or especially for either of them - i'll likely end up getting both at some point and ditching the one supporting less titles that interest me. But i don't get where the sudden OMGOMG GIMME VIVE gently caress RIFT vibe i'm seeing on social networks, among friends etc. is coming from.

orcinus fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sunswipe posted:

I'm sure this technology already exists at CIG and is just waiting to be turned on in the next patch.

Hopefully it will be as seamless as the rest of the game and not be a case of if you move a finger the station you are on jitters off wildly into the abyss

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

AP posted:

Can you include the links in future when you do this, I like seeing what was happening and finding the right thread/page is a pain in the arse.

Sure, no problem.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

orcinus posted:

Can anyone clue me in why everyone's so gung-ho on getting a Vive instead of Rift CV?
I mean... Everyone i talk to seems convinced it's "years ahead of Rift". Then when i ask them about it, it turns out they're comparing Rift DK2 to consumer Vive and never tried consumer Rift.

Screens are the same.
Out of the box, Vive is more expensive, but comes with controllers - you'll need to wait for Rift controllers a slight bit longer.
Out of the box, motion range for Rift is worse, but when Touch comes out, you'll be able to hook up multiple cameras (Touch comes with a secondary one in the box, in fact) expanding the range.
Battery life on Vive controllers is poo poo, we still need to see how the Touch will fare.

If you tally all the pros and cons, and compare apples to apples (so Rift with Touch price tacked on), they're about even.

I dunno, maybe it's just that the Rift is out and people can criticise it, a bit like ED and SC :v:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

I dunno, maybe it's just that the Rift is out and people can criticise it, a bit like ED and SC :v:

Ha. Could be, but consumer Rift is not really out yet. Shipping starts end of month AFAIK.
You couldn't have seen either yet, except at the shows and as a dev.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

orcinus posted:

Ha. Could be, but consumer Rift is not really out yet. Shipping starts end of month AFAIK.
You couldn't have seen either yet, except at the shows and as a dev.

I don't honestly know, they'll both pretty much do the same thing, once you are in a game giving a robot the middle finger it won't matter which one you have

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Astroniomix posted:

I REALLY want a vive but; 800 bucks.

That and dropping new gpus to support it. Not sure, but thinking I'll need a new cpu as well. Hope to hell they've not changed sockets on me again. :negative:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Scruffpuff posted:

The proof in the pudding is Elite: Dangerous when experienced in VR. Once all those natural movements are usable in the game, suddenly the sense of visibility and scale explodes. Something SC can never have due to "immersion" factors.

There is literally no limit to how many different ways Chris Roberts has royally hosed up this game.
Well per Lando don't forget that 30% visibility cockpits are an essential tool for combat balancing...

Pgabz's descriptions are really pushing me just to pick my HMD and order. I'm running out of excuses to tarry...

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

orcinus posted:

Screens are the same.

e: I mean, i'm not against or especially for either of them - i'll likely end up getting both at some point and ditching the one supporting less titles that interest me. But i don't get where the sudden OMGOMG GIMME VIVE gently caress RIFT vibe i'm seeing on social networks, among friends etc. is coming from.

The controllers and room tracking on the vive are more of a big deal that you think. I've recently seen a demo of an escape the room type game set on a space station. It uses the curving corridor trick and map loading shens to have you crawling through air ducts and in and out of rooms without leaving a six foot square space in a room. You use the controllers as screwdrivers to remove panels etc. It is mind blowing. Oculus have yet to demo the ability to track things that well. Sat down, no, probably not much difference.

I have a CV1 on the way and the vive blows it away from what I've seen.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/voyager-direct/weapons

Wait so 850 years into the future, an ancient handgun costs more than a giant "neutron cannon", whatever that is?

Also is SC's epic ambition for the FPS anything more than a generic lovely corridor shooter?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

Hopefully it will be as seamless as the rest of the game and not be a case of if you move a finger the station you are on jitters off wildly into the abyss

I can't even imagine the ways CIG would find to screw up VR. It's not just that they get things wrong, it's that they find new and exciting ways to be wrong that no sane person had ever considered. The best way I can describe them is to slightly change a Seanbaby quote:

quote:

Imagine you're trying to teach your son to play baseball. You teach him the rules, how to throw, how to swing and when you tell him to go for it, he throws the ball into the side of his own head, runs the wrong way and tries to sell a blowjob to an undercover cop. [CIG] fails in directions you never thought possible.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

I don't honestly know, they'll both pretty much do the same thing, once you are in a game giving a robot the middle finger it won't matter which one you have

Sadly, no ability to give commandos the middle finger yet. Or ever.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

TTerrible posted:

The controllers and room tracking on the vive are more of a big deal that you think. I've recently seen a demo of an escape the room type game set on a space station. It uses the curving corridor trick and map loading shens to have you crawling through air ducts and in and out of rooms without leaving a six foot square space in a room. You use the controllers as screwdrivers to remove panels etc. It is mind blowing. Oculus have yet to demo the ability to track things that well. Sat down, no, probably not much difference.

I have a CV1 on the way and the vive blows it away from what I've seen.

Err. They kinda did demo the ability to track things that well :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBS_v-4Q4iE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asduqdRizqs&t=1030s

Not only did they demo that, but gestures too (although rudimentary, via capacitance sensors), which is something Vive currently lacks.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
:pgabz: should be happy with Touch too, i think someone somewhere demo'd it recognizing giving the finger as a gesture.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I missed those! I dunno then. I've tried dk1, dk2, cc and vive and the vive just wowed me more. I'm prepared to change my mind when the CV1 turns up I'm just not feeling it :shrug:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Well, one thing's for sure, there's gonna be lots of stuff to try :)
Competition's good.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Tippis posted:

Skip the grid part and just implement procedurally generated physics.

As in, every time you load an instance, an algorithm produces new laws of physics that will govern that instance. So today, F=Ve — as you apply force to the ship, it will expand its volume in the same direction while maintaining the same state of energy as some kind of horrid space-shoggoth. Or maybe a=ω/m² — the more massive your ship, the more you have to cork-screw it to create acceleration.

It'll still be more consistent and logical than the physics of some of the competition…

This is a good idea, but instead of at the start of a level, there are going to be "Physics TransJankifier" power-ups floating around the level that will gently caress with physics for everyone except you for a short time. I have no idea how I'm gonna pull that one off but t's on the roadmap.

Also, there will be a "KSP Mode" power-up which, if you get it, disables everyone's flight assist except yours for a short time.

I could use more ideas for power-ups.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Toops posted:

This is a good idea, but instead of at the start of a level, there are going to be "Physics TransJankifier" power-ups floating around the level that will gently caress with physics for everyone except you for a short time. I have no idea how I'm gonna pull that one off but t's on the roadmap.

Also, there will be a "KSP Mode" power-up which, if you get it, disables everyone's flight assist except yours for a short time.

64-bit powerup that makes everything 2x the size and twice as far. So it looks like nothing really changed, until you start coming closer.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4b61kc/off_topic_whats_game_development_actually_like/

whatever helps you sleep at night, Zecumbe :allears:

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Guys this is literally posted by my brother after a discussion I had with him yesterday....hooo boy.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Smorgasbord posted:

Guys this is literally posted by my brother after a discussion I had with him yesterday....hooo boy.

congrats on getting the good genes

Doomtrain
Sep 12, 2006
A mood train?

Smorgasbord posted:

Have you told all of his relatives and friends that hes spent over 5k on a videogame thats never coming out?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

eXXon posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/voyager-direct/weapons

Wait so 850 years into the future, an ancient handgun costs more than a giant "neutron cannon", whatever that is?

Also is SC's epic ambition for the FPS anything more than a generic lovely corridor shooter?

And the handgun costs the same as a guided missile. Just for comparison, a SIG SP2022 (which CIG's pistol looks if you bolt some crap onto it) has an MSRP of a little under 600 dollars. A Sidewinder missile, said by Wikipedia to be one of the least expensive air-to-air missiles, costs around $600,000 according to the always infallible Wiki. What kind of massive shift in technology and engineering has occurred to allow a semi-automatic pistol to be sold for the same cost as something that can take down a starfighter? Is the gun massively expensive? Is the missile absurdly cheap? Why would a space commando 900 years in the future use a 20th century weapon? Wouldn't that be like a marine turning up in Fallujah with a dagger as his sidearm?

What I find really frustrating is that someone with even a speck of imagination could come up with explanations for this bullshit. Maybe gunpowder based weapons are still in use because when equipped with a silencer and sci-fi flashless powder, they're a sneakier weapon than blasters spewing streams of visible lasers. That also explains the cost, as most people don't need a super sneaky gun, just something they can fight off pirates with. From that, you get an insight into the sort of world that exists: there's enough of a demand for stealth weapons that companies can exist selling expensive products to assassins. One little detail should tell you so much, but all it says is that CIG slapped an arbitrary number on something without thinking about it.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Smorgasbord posted:

Well, the cult is busy trying to peg you as a "suppressive person." Your brother, I'm sorry to say, appears to be a loving nincompoop.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Smorgasbord posted:

Ask him how he feels about being flamed by the RSI forums posters for asking for answers lol

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Doomtrain posted:

Have you told all of his relatives and friends that hes spent over 5k on a videogame thats never coming out?

he spent 12k lol

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Smorgasbord posted:

if he created that thread then that means he already has some doubts about the project, you could still save your brother and tell him to ask for a refund

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Toops posted:

Do they have to be useful? I like the idea of a cloaking power-up that makes everyone else invisible. Ooh, or maybe a cloak that works literally: it covers your ship in a fabric cloak that you can't see out of.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Smorgasbord posted:

How much did he really spend?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

orcinus posted:

Screens are the same.

1) people like Valve better than Facebook and it felt like a slap in the face to the people that supported them early on once they sold out like that to a company people fundamentally don't trust

2) roomscale VR... which has more to do with a system like Chaperon and the fwd facing camera/Tron mode making it feasible/safe/comfortable then the hardware capability, since both can mechanically track a similar size volume when set up the same way (with the nod going to vive)

3) the fwd facing camera makes it better suited to cockpit experiences since you can use 'Tron mode' to look at your kbm/HOTAS/cockpit/steering wheel/beer bottle etc without taking off the hmd, plus can take phonecalls with Vive

4) tracked controllers from day 1, which have much more compelling games/apps if they are made to use them as opposed to gamepad games, like Hover Junkers, Cloudlands Minigolf, SpacePirate Trainer, Tiltbrush etc... it's also much more entertaining to see ppl playing roomscale games then sitting there with a gamepad

5) not Facebook

6) doesn't req multiple 'Oculus ready' USB3.0 (many USB3.0 are not compatible), and due to the inside out tracking is easier to setup for roomscale (Lighthouse base stations don't connect to puter, just wallwart or batteries)

7) some prefer the more oval shaped FoV that is a little taller

8) slightly lower computer processing req due to Lighthouse being passive/handled by HMD vs Constellation being handled by your pc, which the cameras need to be connected to

The screens may be the same specs, but Oculus actually uses better optics and maybe even better screens (they're partnered with Samsung remember) so image quality is a tad better in CV1, but I have no idea what you're talking about when you say 'motion range out of the box is worse'. Oculus reported to be more comfortable and better weight distribution and is easier to put on/take off, plus comes with nice built in audio solution.

Vive/Lighthouse is less subject to occlusion artifacts (but more subject to reflection problems), at least comparing the controllers (Oculus production units might fare better though) but you are mistaken on battery life on the controllers, probably confusing them with early reporting based on the prototypes going around because production units last several hours and also have a battery life readout in the hmd.

Most people that know their chops and licks rate them very similarly overall though so you're right they're pretty well matched, but coming with the motion controllers from day 1 puts it ahead and show VR's capabilities much better however Chaperon/fwd facing camera puts Vive ahead in many situations. Note: you can use Oculus with OpenVR/SteamVR and will be able to at least use Chaperon.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Doomtrain posted:

I think you mean 12 thousand Citizen.

Twelve thousand dollary-doos

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

starkebn posted:

thats what my car cost me, its crazy to wrap my head around this poo poo.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist
Smorg buy your brother an account and let him reason with us about this definitely coming out and not at all completely poo poo game.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Smorgasbord posted:

At least the tissues council thing has been fixed (for all the ones I saw doing it), so you can cross that one off the list which will also might help him understand you're not arbitrarily hating or simply uninformed.

If he's really 12k deep like he says though, you owe it him and your parents to give him a big rear end wedgie, that shits wack yo

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

congrats on getting the good genes

Doomtrain posted:

Toops posted:

Well, the cult is busy trying to peg you as a "suppressive person." Your brother, I'm sorry to say, appears to be a loving nincompoop.

Decrepus posted:

Ask him how he feels about being flamed by the RSI forums posters for asking for answers lol

A Neurotic Jew posted:

he spent 12k lol

EminusSleepus posted:

if he created that thread then that means he already has some doubts about the project, you could still save your brother and tell him to ask for a refund

Skellybones posted:

How much did he really spend?

starkebn posted:

He's a sharp guy usually, but I guess imaginary space games are his specific weakness. He certainly has no love for the community over there and was conceded a few points that I raised. Re the Sandi degree stuff - he raised that point, not me so it's pretty clear that the implanting of those lies is pretty sucessful over there.

As for the money - he repeatedly insists to me that via the grey market he has made a non insignificant profit and only has ~$200 worth of stuff tied up with the game. It certainly makes me rethink a few things going on (or not going on) financially for him though since I know he has a good income.

Most of all I'm worried about the long, boring and frustrating conversation about SC I'l have to have on the way home from Easter with a whole bunch of rebuttals that amount to "nuh uh CR said that will be in the game" :negative:

edit: It all started from him saying he wants to buy an Oculus Rift, and me being pretty sure it's incompatible with what CiG are doing - what can I say to at least save him from that bad decision?

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 20, 2016

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Smorgasbord posted:

As for the money - he repeatedly insists to me that via the grey market he has made a non insignificant profit and only has ~$200 worth of stuff tied up with the game. It certainly makes me rethink a few things going on (or not going on) financially for him though since I know he has a good income.

Yeah, when asked, every single whale has made money in the grey market. :iiam:

Smorgasbord posted:

edit: It all started from him saying he wants to buy an Oculus Rift, and me being pretty sure it's incompatible with what CiG are doing - what can I say to at least save him from that bad decision?

Nothing you can say will help. And the rift is an actual product that actually works so it's fine if he buys it.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Call the TV show "intervention" to come over, it will probably cover the cost and also be great tv!

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist
CiG mods closed the thread with the reasoning that leaving it open would only lead to trolling which I know because I clicked it intending to troll the thread

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

Smorgasbord posted:

Do you believe him? If you think he is only over-invested in the train-wreck emotionally maybe it would be best to let it go?

Smorgasbord posted:

There really isn't much to this. Taking control of the player's head away from them will make you puke in VR and CiG does it constantly. If he does get one gift him a copy of E:D for christmas/his birthday so he can actually play spaceship in VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Haskell9 posted:

CiG mods closed the thread with the reasoning that leaving it open would only lead to trolling which I know because I clicked it intending to troll the thread

Edit: Whoa! I totally misunderstood your post. sorry.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 20, 2016

• Locked thread