Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
The great cosmic victory here is I just walked by the table with the Tau guy I lost to and he just got tabled by the exact same Wraithhost list plus one Wave Serpent and minus a bunch of bodies. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

LingcodKilla posted:

I may. Would have to be fairly close to a dumpster fire price if its preprainted heavily chopped up.

Very few painted or chopped. A lot are primed, or have bits of green. There's also a trio of killa kans, for whatever that's worth. Kilo147@ live and I may eventually get pics your way.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Finished the last model for my "joke" Unbound allied detachment. This is a shaman on anteater (or I guess an Ant Reaper, a raptor-like Deathworld creature which hunts giant ants in packs, anything to make it more Catachan). Anteaters were my absolute favorite childhood animals, and one stuffed anteater has a reputation for being thrown around at parties a lot.

Here's Licker (or Liquor, depending on who you ask), the party anteater:

Decided a Seeker of Slaanesh would make a good conversion base. Stock model:

Extended, Genestealer arms added:

Finished conversion, with Amber Wizard on top:

And the painted version. The blue flannel cape is the color/pattern of the fuzzy bathrobe I often wear when playing 40k at my cabin, and you can see a Jameson flask turcked away underneath. The model plays as a Blood Angels Librarian with jump pack - the base is the proper 32mm size, and the steed is ignored for LOS. A holstered bolt pistol is on the model's other side.

Here's the final 500pt detachment of Unbound crazies.

Now off to start assembling my Overkill Genestealer Cult!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BuffaloChicken posted:

And the painted version. The blue flannel cape is the color/pattern of the fuzzy bathrobe I often wear when playing 40k at my cabin, and you can see a Jameson flask turcked away underneath. The model plays as a Blood Angels Librarian with jump pack - the base is the proper 32mm size, and the steed is ignored for LOS. A holstered bolt pistol is on the model's other side.

loving nailed it with the color scheme.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

BuffaloChicken posted:

I love jungle terrain, love winged Tyranids, hate anime and love Tyranids winning... truly a lovely photo. Those terrain pieces really are neat - I wish I had more storage space for terrain, so I could keep adding to my table!

drat that's a great table. I really want to build something like that for my Lizardmen

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Kilo147 posted:

Very few painted or chopped. A lot are primed, or have bits of green. There's also a trio of killa kans, for whatever that's worth. Kilo147@ live and I may eventually get pics your way.

What's "live"? Gmail?

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Pawl posted:

drat that's a great table. I really want to build something like that for my Lizardmen

I think you mean "Seraphon"

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Someone who is feverish to curbstomp other players with broken units/formations/whatever is horrid. Buffalo and Pierre are where it's at, playin' Beerhammer and makin' cool as heck armies.

And you two goofballs with the football avatars.

BuffaloChicken posted:

[Rad booze, kewl animal bro, fine-lookin' lady]

I didn't need more proof of why I'm jealous of your life!

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Post 9-11 User posted:

Someone who is feverish to curbstomp other players with broken units/formations/whatever is horrid. Buffalo and Pierre are where it's at, playin' Beerhammer and makin' cool as heck armies.

As much as I make it friendly and drink while playing I will admit that seven FMCs including four Hive Tyrants in an 1850pt list is what some might call horseshit. Still, I'd like to think I make it a little interesting/fair by including some ground game and support units. There's another player here with seven Hive Tyrants and seven Mucolids. :pwn:

Going into the second day out of 56 players two Nids lists are in the top 10 including myself. Hopefully I can keep the momentum going. Based on a points matchup I'm either going to be fighting a balanced Decurion list or more Riptides. Hopefully the TO will recognize that three Tau match ups out of four games would be too many, because while I can put up a fight Riptide spam is just so boring. :(

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

LingcodKilla posted:

What's "live"? Gmail?

Live.com. It's Hotmail with a fancy rear end new name from like, a decade ago.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
So myself and four friends played a 3v2 mission in the Planetstrike campaign at my house yesterday. It was the third mission - a behind enemy lines scenario. The defenders (Space Marines/IG, Necrons, Chaos Space Marine) divided their overall forces into two. The attackers (Eldar, GK) got to choose which half came on first (before the obligatory Firestorm orbital bombardments), and the second half would come on as reserves, with a minus two to your reserve roll. It's brutal for the defenders, but it's part of what makes it so fun - you're on the backfoot, you've got to work hard. Happily, Eldar and GK make great attackers since they weaken as the game goes on.

So much fun. I have a game mat and a relicos militarum, but friends also brought terrain - including the big tower of redemption in the middle. This was worth 3+D3 VP, with 3 other objectives, each worth 3 VP. Huge, huge, huge fun - there was a wonderful back and forth on the central objective, and the defenders were pushing really hard to get back on it after being swept off it in the initial assault. I can really recommend the Planetstrike campaign, as long as you go in with the idea that it's going to be a ballache for the defenders. You know your back is up against the wall, but you fight to the end, and you're taking it all...

Pre Deployment

Bulk of Eldar and GK deep strike in around the central objective - not much walks on from reserves, wrong footing the defenders' initial deployment

Wraiths with their D-1 weapons immobilise my Maulerfiend before he can do anything. Second time in two games. It was a bad choice anyway, he's only really good against vehicles (he has armour bane), not monstrous creatures, and I hadn't realised Dreadknights are jump monstrous creatures.

The noose tightens. Can us defenders make a comeback?

All praise be to the lone Obliterator. Flamer of Warp spiders and smooshers of them in close combat thanks to 2A with a Power Fist. My Eldar friend was running scared from him the rest of the match after he won close combat against them.

Power of the machine spirit snacks:

Once again, Chaos Lord and Sorcerer whiff in close combat and it's up to the Cultists to do a real man's job and finish off some poxy Grey Knight marines. Cultist and Oblits forever

The pushback starts

Ended in a very satisfying draw. 7 points to 7. Couldn't have been happier about that - both sides fought really hard.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

BuffaloChicken posted:

Finished the last model for my "joke" Unbound allied detachment. This is a shaman on anteater (or I guess an Ant Reaper, a raptor-like Deathworld creature which hunts giant ants in packs, anything to make it more Catachan). Anteaters were my absolute favorite childhood animals, and one stuffed anteater has a reputation for being thrown around at parties a lot.

Good stuff. It always provides a little motivation when I see your work.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BuffaloChicken posted:

I love this so loving much. Hopefully my Orks will stumble over those exploding chickens and explode before spring's out.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Kilo147 posted:

Live.com. It's Hotmail with a fancy rear end new name from like, a decade ago.

I'll send you off an email tonight.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Halfway through my friend's first HoR Kill Team game. He just discovered the horrifying brutality that is his SS/WC Thunderwolf Cavalry team leader as it tore through my bikes and raptors like wet tissue paper. Will post pics later.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Yes. That thing is probably one of the most broken things in HoR. I used it in a campaign. I regretted it.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

It killed probably 75% of my Night Lords in our first match. The worst part is that I put this list together for him under the request of "build me something big and nasty."

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Babe Magnet posted:

the actual best IG mini is whatever guy who put both the power fist and the arm sling on.

That was me. Can't find the mini, but I do have this:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

MasterSlowPoke posted:

That was me. Can't find the mini, but I do have this:

Man, it's been a while since we had a Discount Bees posted. Discount Bees~ :swoon:

Finished up my GT with 63 points after an aggravating loss to a Farsighted Enclave list in my fourth game. Missed my first seven 3+ cover saves on my Flyrants and failed every single FNP check which quickly swung the game in his favor. I played it right but the dice just... Weren't with me. It was quite frustrating to know you're not being beaten by your opponent but by random chance. Not much to plan for with that.

I went in to vent my frustration against a nice fluffy Tallyman Nurgle list which only had three Soulgrinders for Skyfire.

At the end in turn six I had wiped all but his two GUOs off the table and owned all the mission objectives. He had killed... Fourteen Gargoyles and a Zoanthrope. It didn't exactly make me feel much better about the bad loss, but it was a slightly better way to end things. The other seemed to be having fun so that's really the goal, right?

Top player took it with another Flyrant list (Five Hive Tyrants, four Hive Crones, 6x Ripper Swarms, and a Malanthrope). He went into round five at 65pts against the exact same Wraithhost list I fought who had just gotten better match ups. Glad to see bugs take it with such a good array of lists.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

the actual best IG mini is whatever guy who put both the power fist and the arm sling on.

I guess I know what I'm building at some point.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Today I introduced one of my friends ( a goon who shall not be named and shamed here) to tabletop 40K by way of HoR Kill Team. He's always been a bit of a fan and has played the hell out of the various video games, but this was his first foray into minis. I made his roster and his models for him based on his input. First and foremost I knew it had to be Space Wolves because he loves werewolves, dwarves, and vikings. The rest fell into place. At the same time I worked on my own Night Lords list, which I can only categorize as "a pain in the rear end to play against" but not particularly nasty.

Space Wolves List:
Thunderwolf Cavalry Leader with storm shield, wolf claw, bionics.
3 Grey Hunters with bolter/boltpistol/CCW, 1 with bolter/bp/power weapon, 1 with melta gun.
2 Blood Claws
1 Long Fang ("Gary loving Laser Eyes") with heavy bolter and suspensor web

Night Lords List:
1 Aspiring Champion with daemonic flight, aura of dark glory, bionics, favour of the gods, plasma pistol, power sword
3 Raptors
1 Biker with meltagun, 1 biker with bp/ccw and an extra krak grenade
1 Chaos Marine with Missile launcher, because there's a weird loophole in the list that allows this
5 Cultists with autopistols and CCWs

We played two matches. I don't have a turn-by-turn for either of our matches, but I can supply an overview and some snapshots. Apologies for the quality of some of the photos; I didn't take them and as Slimnoid can attest the lighting in the store isn't great.

Our first game was a straight up brawl with no special mission rules. I figured I'd want to get him acquainted with the basics. We fought on the ruins of an industrial site. poo poo was a tight fit for everyone on both sides. With a few exceptions, our forces diverged and fought along the sides of the main building.

On one side of the board, the Cultists, some of the Raptors, and one of the bikers headed for what they thought would be a "safety in numbers" brawl against the Blood Claws. the T-Wolf Cav had other plans. On the other side, the Grey Hunters went to go put an end to what they thought was a relatively weak force, while the Long Fang provided cover fire with his heavy bolter.

Here a lone Grey Hunter saw the rushing horde and decided to toss a frag grenade into the mass of inbred albino murder-slaves, but ultimately failed to do anything except attract attention. He was promptly butchered by a Raptor the next turn.

The Aspiring Champ met the Grey Hunters and basically got tied up in Assault for the rest of the game. This was a nasty bit of back-and-forth with power swords which at one point saw all three combatants sitting at "Knocked Down" at the same time. The Benny Hill theme played faintly in the distance.

Thanks to the Injury rules, he never quite actually killed anyone but he managed to Hit and Run his way away to try to knock the Long Fang out of his perch. Though not pictured here, this was the moment when the Long Fang earned a name, as he turned and unloaded on the Champ, killing him. Behold: Gary.

The T-Wolf Cav, as mentioned in a previous post, ate probably about 75% of the Night Lords by himself. That guy was just horrifying, which means he was working exactly as planned.

I learned an important lesson, though, which was "never let him catch you." This became very important in the next match. With one model left, I conceded the game, and my opponent played the post-scrum Space Jam.

Match Two was a Raid mission. The defender sets up three objectives in his deployment zone which count as AV 10 buildings and which can only be destroyed in assault. The attacker gets 3 melta charges to distribute to three different models. If the attacker only destroys 0-1 of these objectives, the defender wins. If he destroys 2, it's a draw, and if he destroys 3, the attacker wins. I was the attacker, which was fine by me as it played to my strengths.

As the Cultists fulfilled their purpose as sacrificial lambs on one side of the board meant to protect the Biker on that side, the other side of the board saw a coming conflict between our Leaders. The T-Wolf and the AC ended up in close combat by the end of the first turn, and that fight sucked in others like a whirlpool. The Grey Hunters in particular loved to pile in there. Pictured: T-Wolf getting his murder erection ready while his snow base blends in perfectly with the setting.

Here we see a Raptor moving in for an easy kill against the least CC-heavy Grey Hunter. The GH shrugged off the attack and somehow managed to outright murder the Raptor that same turn. gently caress these dice.

The long and short of this match was that I somehow managed to make almost every possible save with the AC and got some pretty perfect Hit and Run results. One of them put him here, literally next to the (half-painted) objective that he blew up with his melta charge.

The situation was more or less the same on the other side with the biker leaving the Cultists behind to get completely and totally hosed by the Space Wolves while he zoomed up to the second objective and popped it.

Ultimately I won, as another instance of the AC escaping the T-Wolf via Hit and Run put him next to the third objective at the same time as a Raptor. They charged and desperately slashed at the objective enough to kill it.

But let's talk for a second about Gary. Gary was already firmly in "this dude rocks" territory after the first match, in which he terrorized one side of the battlefield and aced my Champion. Gary straight-up murdered the missile Marine in his first roll of the game, then proceeded to hose down the oncoming Cultists and a Raptor fairly well. that alone would have been a good performance. But then he held off a charging Raptor for two and a half game turns despite all odds, which drat near gave the rest of the army time to catch up to the fools racing for the final objective. Gary was elevated posthumously to the status of "Gary loving Laser Eyes," and flights of Bone Thugs sang him to his rest.

Everybody get up: it's time to slam now.

PantsOptional fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 21, 2016

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

PierreTheMime posted:

Glad to see bugs take it with such a good array of lists.

With 2-3 flavors of FMC and.... stuff....
Its nice to see them winning though.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 21, 2016

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Hencoe posted:

With 2-3 flavors of FMC and.... stuff....

I meant the array of other armies. Top was a spread of Eldar Wraithhost, Eldar/Tau Wraithknight/Riptide, Dark Angel Razorback spam with Eldar ally, Necron Decurion, and Tyranids.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Buffalo Chicken, I almost hope I never have to play you because despite whatever results are rolled on the table, you've clearly already won 40K.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Finally got a legal army - just.

Started them in late January as part of the Independent Characters hobby progress challenge, pretty happy with how it's coming along so far.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
9 days until Adepticon, 6 tacticals, rhino, and command squad to finish. Going to have to pull an all nighter I feel.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Yeast posted:

Started them in late January as part of the Independent Characters hobby progress challenge, pretty happy with how it's coming along so far.

Man these are rad as hell. Well done man! You're putting me to shame. I've had the same 8 tac marines sitting at my desk half finished for 3 months

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Yeast posted:

And what an army it is! These dudes look great.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

PierreTheMime posted:

Man, it's been a while since we had a Discount Bees posted. Discount Bees~ :swoon:

Finished up my GT with 63 points after an aggravating loss to a Farsighted Enclave list in my fourth game. Missed my first seven 3+ cover saves on my Flyrants and failed every single FNP check which quickly swung the game in his favor. I played it right but the dice just... Weren't with me. It was quite frustrating to know you're not being beaten by your opponent but by random chance. Not much to plan for with that.

I went in to vent my frustration against a nice fluffy Tallyman Nurgle list which only had three Soulgrinders for Skyfire.

At the end in turn six I had wiped all but his two GUOs off the table and owned all the mission objectives. He had killed... Fourteen Gargoyles and a Zoanthrope. It didn't exactly make me feel much better about the bad loss, but it was a slightly better way to end things. The other seemed to be having fun so that's really the goal, right?

Top player took it with another Flyrant list (Five Hive Tyrants, four Hive Crones, 6x Ripper Swarms, and a Malanthrope). He went into round five at 65pts against the exact same Wraithhost list I fought who had just gotten better match ups. Glad to see bugs take it with such a good array of lists.

Good showing man, it sucks when marine saves...don't, but that's warhammer for you. Bugs are super good, one of my two losses with my Warconvo was against 4 flyrants/5 mawlocs.

I played as demons for the first time yesterday with some nonsense I could pull together before my actual demon army gets here. 2 LoC, fatey, 30 horrors, nurglings, a herald of Tzeentch on a bike, and a Tzeentch Paladin against decurion crons on ITC relic. I kept ahead on maelstrom and had bottom of the turn so I could snag the relic. It was super fun to have so many options and plays. Demons are a deep book and being able to do garbage like "portalglyph into the opponents DZ to spawn a single bloodletter to make him not get a maelstrom point", "Fateweaver summoning horrors onto an objective to get a maelstrom point then D shotting a ghost ark", and "Turning my herald of Tzeentch into a herald of nurgle to charge some destroyers and a Great Fatty to fight a destroyer lord and praetorians" was just fun while my 2++ rerolling LoC and knight cleaned up anything near the relic.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I know this is a dumb stupid baby question, but is there a video game that sets up and plays like the tabletop game for either WFB or WH40K? I thought there was one a few years back but I think it was still an RTS rather than a turn-based one. And I guess there's Space Hulk, but it's the same Terminators VS Genestealer Cult scenario over and over again.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MrSlam posted:

I know this is a dumb stupid baby question, but is there a video game that sets up and plays like the tabletop game for either WFB or WH40K? I thought there was one a few years back but I think it was still an RTS rather than a turn-based one. And I guess there's Space Hulk, but it's the same Terminators VS Genestealer Cult scenario over and over again.
No, there's nothing like that on the market. GW has purposefully not allowed a 1:1 conversion as they think it would compete with the actual tabletop game. A lot of people, including me, think they're idiots.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Well, they're right, releasing a video game adaptation of the tabletop game would be the end of them. People would be able to experience the game mechanics without dropping 3-500 dollars.

Edit: that said, tabletop simulator has a bunch of 40k modules if you really want.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Some people touted Vassal as a solution to this but it's basically just a tabletop simulator. It will help you put a map together and let you place and move units, but it doesn't really handle much else for you and it's extremely clunky and user-unfriendly. It will do your die rolls for you but you have to know to make them.

Similarly, if anyone recommends using Tabletop Simulator for this, you are legally allowed to non-fatally injure them. It has all of the disadvantages of Vassal with none of the advantages. You can use actual representations of the models but that's the only real reason to use it.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Also, at this point, there's so many nebulous rules interactions that I don't think they could offer a faithful tabletop computer game. You need something like vassal where you make it up as you go.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well, I guess when I'm thinking of a digital adaptation, I'm thinking of when I really played the game back in 3rd, 4th, and 5th. That would've worked fine. 7th would be loving terrible. But maybe, just maybe, if there was a digital version, GW might have kept their rules coherent :laffo: No, no they wouldn't.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

PantsOptional posted:

Some people touted Vassal as a solution to this but it's basically just a tabletop simulator. It will help you put a map together and let you place and move units, but it doesn't really handle much else for you and it's extremely clunky and user-unfriendly. It will do your die rolls for you but you have to know to make them.

Similarly, if anyone recommends using Tabletop Simulator for this, you are legally allowed to non-fatally injure them. It has all of the disadvantages of Vassal with none of the advantages. You can use actual representations of the models but that's the only real reason to use it.

If you think flipping the table does not count as an advantage then you have not spent enough time playing Tabletop Simulator.

edit: haha or warhammer haha

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 21, 2016

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

If you think flipping the table does not count as an advantage then you have not spent enough time playing Tabletop Simulator.

edit: haha or warhammer haha

poo poo, I forgot about that! I retract my statement.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Safety Factor posted:

No, there's nothing like that on the market. GW has purposefully not allowed a 1:1 conversion as they think it would compete with the actual tabletop game. A lot of people, including me, think they're idiots.

If 3D printers become household appliances, or GW is about to go under financially, I think they'll give this computerized video gaming fad a shot.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
GW is soliciting questions for FAQ updates: https://www.facebook.com/1575682476085719/photos/a.1576243776029589.1073741828.1575682476085719/1583759348611365/?type=3&theater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

And there are already people policing the comments to "answer" questions so that we don't "waste" the designers' time. Have GW fans really already forgotten what FAQs are for? It's only been a year or so.

• Locked thread