Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

ronya posted:

3) if not, what's a good way to indefinitely sustain flask charges for curse immunity?

Balance your mana use with a sanctified mana flask for that sweet 14 seconds of curse immunity for only 10 charges. Roll Saturated for about 20 seconds immunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Budgie posted:

Balance your mana use with a sanctified mana flask for that sweet 14 seconds of curse immunity for only 10 charges. Roll Saturated for about 20 seconds immunity.

Might be a tiny bit difficult to do with righteous fire totems, considering they cost 0 mana.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Is there any way to reduce the damage that the traps in the ascendancy trials and labyrinth do?
Just touching them makes my health melt away in seconds, which means a single lag spike can cause death.
I've been using lightning warp to skip some of the traps but that's not always possible.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

scissorman posted:

Is there any way to reduce the damage that the traps in the ascendancy trials and labyrinth do?
Just touching them makes my health melt away in seconds, which means a single lag spike can cause death.
I've been using lightning warp to skip some of the traps but that's not always possible.

Armor is the only way. It also counts your ES+HP as your total life pool when calculating the base damage, so take that as you will.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Rurutia posted:

Armor is the only way. It also counts your ES+HP as your total life pool when calculating the base damage, so take that as you will.

also leo-crafted shields

also I think there might be something weird with the way it calculates damage with life and es, when I was still specced hybrid on my coc dude a single dart trap took my entire es pool plus about 75% of my health pool in one shot.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Hauki posted:

also leo-crafted shields

also I think there might be something weird with the way it calculates damage with life and es, when I was still specced hybrid on my coc dude a single dart trap took my entire es pool plus about 75% of my health pool in one shot.

Yeah the darts murder my LL character, I'm not sure what's going on there.

J
Jun 10, 2001

If you're a pure life based character then just grab a good couple of life flasks and a quicksilver flask and just run through the traps as fast as you can, not even kidding. The faster, the better. You'll be surprised at how much less scary they'll seem.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Totems also make good dart blockers.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Rurutia posted:

Yeah the darts murder my LL character, I'm not sure what's going on there.

If you're lowlife, it still calculates the damage based on your combined ES and Life before any removal or stepdown functions affect it. So that 2.5k life you have reserved down to <600 is making you take a tonne more damage to your ES. If I were a betting man I'd say that this is also the reason why CI characters get buttfucked so hard by traps, effects that consider the max HP of a player using CI calculate your max health BEFORE CI takes effect. So those CI characters with 5-6k ES and being hit as if they had 6K es and ~1.5-2.5k HP.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 20, 2016

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

nightwisher posted:

If you're lowlife, it still calculates the damage based on your combined ES and Life before any removal or stepdown functions affect it. So that 2.5k life you have reserved down to <600 is making you take a tonne more damage to your ES. If I were a betting man I'd say that this is also the reason why CI characters get buttfucked so hard by traps, effects that consider the max HP of a player using CI calculate your max health BEFORE CI takes effect. So those CI characters with 5-6k ES and being hit as if they had 6K es and ~1.5-2.5k HP.

That plus being unable to use health potions as CI :smithicide:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

just pay attention and figure out how to get through it all without taking any damage, it's really not hard, and generally isn't slow at all. most traps have a really short cycle time.

it's the burning floors and like one spinning spike pole set up that end up taking forever to cycle, those are the ones i really hate

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

NecroMonster posted:

just pay attention and figure out how to get through it all without taking any damage, it's really not hard, and generally isn't slow at all. most traps have a really short cycle time.

it's the burning floors and like one spinning spike pole set up that end up taking forever to cycle, those are the ones i really hate

You can run through most stuff if you're fast enough, however some of those skeletal mobs in the gold key zones can curse you vulnerability, and that makes sawblade/spinning totem traps extraordinarily lethal. At least the spike traps are (generally) pretty slow to trigger.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

NecroMonster posted:

I'd love to be able to do that except when you can only see half of the guantlet on your screen and there's no 'resting' zone in the middle.

I've been farming merc izaro for most of the league so it's not like I can't do it relatively reliably. But sometimes I get seriously screwed and having LW as my mobility skill doesn't help, because sometimes you can't sit and wait for .5s more of damage. It's just obviously harder than it is for my husband's EQ character and it annoys the poo poo out of me when people say this.

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran
Any chance I can grab a guild invite as well? Ingame name same as here.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

ronya posted:

3) if not, what's a good way to indefinitely sustain flask charges for curse immunity?

I'm using a Hallowed mana flask (4 charges a use) with an extra charges mod. The only time I've come even close to running out was during an Izaro fight while I was panicking and mashing buttons.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

generally speaking, if you can't see the "whole gauntlet" you can either run through the whole thing non stop if you start at the right point in the cycle, or their will be safe places to wait, if you keep a look out for them.

in fact, i cannot think of any times that one of these two things aren't true.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Also, when quicksilvering through traps, try to time it so that the blades are moving in the opposite direction that you are, to minimise the time your hitbox spends on top of the damage entity.

bummer cars
Apr 3, 2009

Does it work with Vaal Clarity too?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

NecroMonster posted:

generally speaking, if you can't see the "whole gauntlet" you can either run through the whole thing non stop if you start at the right point in the cycle, or their will be safe places to wait, if you keep a look out for them.

in fact, i cannot think of any times that one of these two things aren't true.

I'm clearly worse at it than you because there has been a couple times for me when it has been impossible for me to not take any damage at all even with good timing. Most of the times when it hasn't been true for me is when there has been tightly spaced fast darts. Considering how much damage the darts do to me and the slow... I do tend to panic a bit in those situations where I can't see a way out and just have to hope that I can move fast enough while slowed to hell to dodge things. I do think that with my current 22% movement speed, things are a lot easier in general than before I got my rainbowstrides and lori's lantern.

I do despise this sort of attitude though. Is it so hard for you to believe that some people find it hard and are worse at this type of thing than you are? Saying 'just pay attention' is incredibly condescending. People haven't said it's impossible or to nerf it or anything like that. They've just been bitching about it being unfairly hard for hybrid/low life/CI characters.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You just have to kind of zen out and not think.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Darts slow movement speed, but I can still whirl around perfectly well. The problem is that whirling is very imprecise especially when paired with ground traps.

If I had a high cast speed character with no duration nodes, I'd lightning warp over all the traps, from safe spot to safe spot.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

Darts slow movement speed, but I can still whirl around perfectly well. The problem is that whirling is very imprecise especially when paired with ground traps.

If I had a high cast speed character with no duration nodes, I'd lightning warp over all the traps, from safe spot to safe spot.

Yeah I'm lightning warp with +skill duration nodes cause ED. LW is very stupid when there are 'rest stops' (although I got killed once LW'ing on a trap you can't see cause it was in the dark that set off 5+ darts, lol...). On the other hand, the duration makes it really lovely as an oh-poo poo button or to even be able to time a jump while running the guantlet like you can with leap slam or WB. I've been thinking about changing to leap slam (can't whirling blades since I use a staff) or just putting whirling blades on my off set. Idk, it hasn't been a big problem for me so I haven't played with it much yet. (I run merc lab probably 5-10 times a day for almost 2 weeks now depending on how fast the layout is, it takes me maybe 10-15min and I've died three times mostly when I was learning in the beginning.)

It's fine, my husband didn't get why I hated darts in combination with sawblades or whirling poles either because it takes off like 8% of his health which he regens in a second while leap slamming anyways.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 20, 2016

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I have a level 87 Witch with no items on them and 110 passive points. What should I do with this character? I want to turn them into something, they use to be a Dual Flame Totem Build back when Act IV was added.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

leap slam is very good, especially in lab.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I have a level 87 Witch with no items on them and 110 passive points. What should I do with this character? I want to turn them into something, they use to be a Dual Flame Totem Build back when Act IV was added.

Pick what ascendency sounds cool to you and work back from that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

euphronius posted:

Pick what ascendency sounds cool to you and work back from that.

You have to unlock those don't you? I don't see them on my tree. I haven't touched PoE in months.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I said come in! posted:

You have to unlock those don't you? I don't see them on my tree. I haven't touched PoE in months.

You do but they are very defining archetypes to get and very powerful

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

ZenVulgarity posted:

You do but they are very defining archetypes to get and very powerful

Should I just ditch this character and start over? I completed every single quest on my witch two seasons ago but a lot has obviously been added since then. I'm thinking of making a Templar for this build https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1598067

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Should I just ditch this character and start over? I completed every single quest on my witch two seasons ago but a lot has obviously been added since then. I'm thinking of making a Templar for this build https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1598067

Yeah. Standard is a garbage dump and Perandus league is amazing.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

You should be playing in the new league anyway

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

ZenVulgarity posted:

You should be playing in the new league anyway

Letting go is really hard. :smith:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Letting go is really hard. :smith:

It's not, coins rule

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Whirling seems to avoid most of the damage if the trap is going straight towards you.

The deadliest traps for me are the chainsaw roombas, they can be unpredictable and have a giant hitbox, especially the flying ones, died more times to roombas then any other trap.
Also this game wasn't well designed for precision movement, I always hold down the mouse button to constantly be moving and it's hard to break that habit.

On another note, trying to figure out how much block applies to spellblock % I'd need to max it with 75% block and 35% spellblock base, can anyone help me math more good and tell me what formula to use to calculate how much % I'd need? with 45% it's too little, 67% it's too much and I'm just not sure of the exact amount I'd need to cap spellblock.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

On another note, trying to figure out how much block applies to spellblock % I'd need to max it with 75% block and 35% spellblock base, can anyone help me math more good and tell me what formula to use to calculate how much % I'd need? with 45% it's too little, 67% it's too much and I'm just not sure of the exact amount I'd need to cap spellblock.

Should be just over 53 percent. You need 40% from your 75%, so you figure out what % of 75 is 40.

West007
Apr 21, 2013

So I just killed last boss on merciless, what do I do now?

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Jamiefox/characters

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

West007 posted:

So I just killed last boss on merciless, what do I do now?

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Jamiefox/characters

Now, you start running maps!

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Steam says the game is only 4gb? That's impressive considering most games are like 10+ gigs now.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
My install is like 9 gigs. It may be 4 without all the patches I'm not sure.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It's a 4 gig download, it's 9ish installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
After way too much time in the Labyrinth (either died early, lagged out, or ran out of memory just before the final boss room :argh: ) I made my pacifistic summoning witch a necromancer and snagged a shitton of rares and a few uniques (including a nearly-maxed Facebreaker :v: ) from it. I probably should've given the skull to the Facebreaker instead of my current gloves, since "Word of the Tempest on hit" is not nearly as exciting when my witch never swings her weapon.

Perandus is an...interesting league, that was for sure. On my HC Scion, the first Perandus pack I found was chilling out with Fire Fury. :magical: I don't know how I survived that, but the jingling of coins is the second sweetest sound in the game.

Speaking of the scion, I don't know what to make her as in HC. Any suggestions for a lovely player without a sugar daddy stash of twink gear?

• Locked thread