Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Okay whose good at punishing block strings? Sounds like Ryu

fozzy fosbourne posted:

There is a post on Srk listing ideas for how to punish each characters stuff with ryu

Sweet.

bhsman posted:

Usually medium is his best anti-air because it's invincible, whereas the heavy/EX is used to finish combos.

Thanks I'll definitely look into ryu. hes like the fundamental new player character too isn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yes. There's lots of stuff aimed at teaching street fighter from the perspective of ryu. There is pattheflip's free ebook on srk and fighting game celebrity gootecks 'gootecks' gutierez ebooks

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Yes. There's lots of stuff aimed at teaching street fighter from the perspective of ryu. There is pattheflip's free ebook on srk and fighting game celebrity gootecks 'gootecks' gutierez ebooks

Cool, also what the hell is the shimmy? I keep missing it when they talk about it so I haven't seen it and its not in the terminology guide.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Microwaves Mom posted:

Cool, also what the hell is the shimmy? I keep missing it when they talk about it so I haven't seen it and its not in the terminology guide.

It's making them block a normal, walking forward as if you were going for a throw, then walking backwards so their throw tech attempt whiffs and you can punish it.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Microwaves Mom posted:

walk forward a little bit, so it looks like you are walking up to do something maybe, and then walk backwards for a little bit, so if they tried to press a button to keep you away, or tech a throw they expected, it wiffs maybe, then do it again

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Microwaves Mom posted:

Thanks I'll definitely look into ryu. hes like the fundamental new player character too isn't he?

He's got a little bit of everything; you can't really go wrong by picking him. Worst-case, you learn the game better and move on to someone else, best-case you have a pretty sound character.

Okita
Aug 31, 2004
King of toilets.
So I was loving around in training mode and discovered that Ken has an (admittedly impractical) combo that carries literally from one corner of the stage to the other corner(not just the screen, the whole loving stage):

c. MK xx Hadouken xx V-trigger, st. HP xx V-skill(run cancel), LK tatsu, HP shoryu xx CA

If you leave out the CA at the end or finish with EX HP shoryu, it only carries about 50-60% the length of the whole stage. Still pretty drat good.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
This dude just showed up on a tourny stream.

He lost. Too bad, not enough furries represented in the fighting game community.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

oh "the gootex shimmy"

Taiso
Feb 20, 2002

Crush them now!

keep it classy fgc

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't see what's wrong with that name, he's the master of baits.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
bunch of people in this thread got baited.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
the entire street fighter community was baited by this game

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

LS emulates an analog joystick and it feels like poo poo and is bad and I don't know why it exists.

so that you can navigate game menus that are stick only if you want to use your TE to play something like a shmup or whatever

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Pomp posted:

is this the place to demand someone fight me in super turbo

Hit me up after Wednesday I'll play you

Also I only play honorable characters and I expect you to do the same

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I play Ryu and Tony Hawk

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

That stage 30 bison is a curse on this world

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
^ got wrecked by him the other day, perfected him today

i think they program them to feel bad for you

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

WEEEEEEEELLLLP

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

interrodactyl posted:

Hit me up after Wednesday I'll play you

Also I only play honorable characters and I expect you to do the same

you're the worst

also pomp im hot garbage at ST but ill play you, I like ST a lot

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Can anyone seriously defend this? People worry about buying arcade sticks with a frame of lag, this is like the game you buy coming with over five frames of input lag over anything you've ever played. It completely ruins the experience considering the offline lag is normalized to the online lag. I was fine with all the previous sfv problems but this is just too much.

Hadooooken
Sep 6, 2004

It's lovely, but you can adapt to it. If you don't adapt, I'll poo poo.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Hadooooken posted:

It's lovely, but you can adapt to it. If you don't adapt, I'll poo poo.

you cant adapt to having a lot of stuff become unreactable when it shouldnt be

Hadooooken
Sep 6, 2004

dangerdoom volvo posted:

You're right.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Microwaves Mom posted:

Okay whose good at punishing block strings? Sounds like Ryu

When people talk about punishing they are referring to hitting someone for doing an unsafe move. Usually with a combo, but sometimes you only get one hit and/or have to use specific moves, usually due to distance or the opponent being in some special state like crouching, airborne, or a unique recovery animation (think after a blocked or whiffed super).

Blockstrings are gonna be made up of moves that are generally very safe, so punishing doesn't really come into play. You can use an invincible special move to interrupt the opponent during specific gaps in their blockstring, but that's a pure guess that can turn into you being punished very hard if you're wrong.

If you want to make those guesses a lot then the 4 characters with meterless, invincible specials (aka DPs or Dragon Punches) are Ryu, Ken, Cammy, and Necalli. Of those 4, for a new player I'd recommend Necalli by a mile. Very simple and very effective character.

Trykt fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 20, 2016

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

this game's netkode makes me wish i was the guy having his loving face obliterated by flaming fists until he dies

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/ultradavid/status/711581142554701826

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Booyah- posted:

Can anyone seriously defend this? People worry about buying arcade sticks with a frame of lag, this is like the game you buy coming with over five frames of input lag over anything you've ever played. It completely ruins the experience considering the offline lag is normalized to the online lag. I was fine with all the previous sfv problems but this is just too much.

I mean, arguably the game lag effects everyone and the game can be balanced around it. It still feels gross, but it's different from stick lag where only people who happen to be using that stick are affected.
I'm not trying to defend the input lag because it's total garbage and it probably exists because someone in management went "we need to maximize render time for top quality tits and rear end", but it's also not completely unrecoverable.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
I've pretty much shelved this game until the update hits and we get the store and new characters. Any news when that'll be?

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

dangerdoom volvo posted:

is the input delay spikes or consistent?

spikes make things un-react-able,

consistent makes the windows just feel 'off'

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

SectumSempra posted:

is the input delay spikes or consistent?

spikes make things un-react-able,

consistent makes the windows just feel 'off'

that's only true at consistently low levels of input lag. a frame or two at most

we are talking nine frames of delay here

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The best thing about sfv is people doing ohohoho after winning matches on stream

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Booyah- posted:

nah, it's a bummer and the most damning piece of information against the game. but i was enjoying the game before i knew about it and still am, so i'm gonna keep playing it.

i'm gonna hit super gold soon yaaay

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

RanKizama posted:

I've pretty much shelved this game until the update hits and we get the store and new characters. Any news when that'll be?

Well we're two-thirds of the way through the month we're supposed to get the patch so naturally we know dick-all about it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess there's a pretty decent chance they'll show the Alex trailer tonight near the end of Final Round (but there's another CPT premier event next week so maybe they'll wait until then and we'll get the patch on like the 28th)

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

The input lag thing makes me feel vindicated in saying "I loving blocked that" sometimes, so that's something. Still enjoying the game though.

Road to silver was fraught with troubles, though. First time I got a rank-up match, I beat a gold-ranked Ryu who ragequit on me, then promptly lost to a teleporting Mika. Climbing back into rank-up territory was fine, then a lag-spiking Vega beat me. Another good match, another win, then in the third rank-up match in a row I had a super lovely lag fest. Last night was frustrating.

Today, first match of the day was a super silver Karin who I beat in two rounds to put me into silver. I know that's not a big deal, but it's nice and this is the first time I've felt actually competent at a fighting game since I started taking them seriously. I haven't been playing ranked too often, so I'm sure it could've happened sooner, but ranked isn't as fun as sets so meh.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Well might as well use it now because its going to be gone when the patch hits.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Fubarduck and inononononono are saying it won't, at least what's in the patch notes won't fix it

https://twitter.com/fubarduck/status/708435826384867328

https://twitter.com/fubarduck/status/711588477872291840

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Well there goes another Razer stick near the upper end of an international tournament. At least it wasn't in like top 8 like Evo

Edit: oh, looks like it was the 8-minute timeout lol