Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Thank you, to whoever recommended Hungry Cat Picross.

I've tried picross games a dozen times over the years and never could get into them, but this one is excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

AnimalChin posted:

Thank you, to whoever recommended Hungry Cat Picross.

I've tried picross games a dozen times over the years and never could get into them, but this one is excellent.

Ok, before any other long-time Picross fans decide to try this out, it's kind of hosed, enough for me to uninstall.

Traditionally, when numbers are next to each other, those numbers a) denote how many blocks are consecutively placed, and b) also represent the order that they appear on the grid. So, on the left had side, if you've got a 3 and then a 4, that means (in practically every other Picross game) that you'll expect a group of three blocks somewhere, and then a group of four blocks to the right of that.

This game doesn't do that, and it's frustrating. The order is backwards, which makes no sense, and the only time that the blocks are in a consecutive grouping is when there's a circle around the number clue.

Animalchin,I'm glad you enjoy it, but goddamn, those are pretty standard Picross rules that are annoying when changed. That's like taking an NES game, and switching the A and B functionality.

I know this is :goonsay: as hell, but whatever, someone will appreciate it.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Nah, not Goonsay. That's be like a bridges app not requiring an unbroken island. Fortunately there's a lot of good picross on the DS/3DS platform, can't really imagine having to click change between fill to X each time.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
I had a hard time finding a good picross app until I came across Hungry Cat. I've been a huge fan of traditional picross for ages, but Hungry Cat really clicked with me. It just has a different logic to it.

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, before any other long-time Picross fans decide to try this out, it's kind of hosed, enough for me to uninstall.

Traditionally, when numbers are next to each other, those numbers a) denote how many blocks are consecutively placed, and b) also represent the order that they appear on the grid. So, on the left had side, if you've got a 3 and then a 4, that means (in practically every other Picross game) that you'll expect a group of three blocks somewhere, and then a group of four blocks to the right of that.

This game doesn't do that, and it's frustrating. The order is backwards, which makes no sense, and the only time that the blocks are in a consecutive grouping is when there's a circle around the number clue.

Animalchin,I'm glad you enjoy it, but goddamn, those are pretty standard Picross rules that are annoying when changed. That's like taking an NES game, and switching the A and B functionality.

I too tried this for a few minutes and uninstalled for the same reasons. And also because there was a flashing ad at the bottom of my screen, which is like the exact opposite of what i want in a picross game.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

That's because Hungry Cat Picross fills the entire grid with multiple colors. If they were to do it the way a normal picross game would, there'd be no space for the actual puzzle without zooming. It still clearly denotes solid and unsolid lines, and the extra colors makes for a very fun twist from normal picross, you just need to keep that difference in mind and it really does work exactly like a normal picross puzzle. It's the only picross game I've come across that works well on a phone screen without needing to constantly zoom in and out, looks nice in my opinion, and constantly receives new puzzles. CrossMe/CrossMe Color is a decent second of you have a stylus and don't mind having to zoom constantly, but I don't on both accounts so I don't play it.

Talibananas posted:

And also because there was a flashing ad at the bottom of my screen, which is like the exact opposite of what i want in a picross game.

If this is a major issue for anyone else, but you otherwise enjoy the game, support the developers and get the no-ad upgrade. It's fairly priced for the content, and gets rid of every ad, interstitial and the stuff hanging around on the bottom.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I guess I just prefer zooming in and out to that weird logic. :shobon:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Hungry Cat Picross is really good and probably the game I've had installed the longest and play consistently.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I never understood why people like Hungry Cat. It is definitely not in the top tier when it comes to UI, which for a fiddly puzzle game like picross is an instant dealbreaker.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
After getting used to Hungry Cat I can appreciate how it makes small puzzle space interesting, but yeah, coming straight from something like CrossMe can very easily make you hate it at first.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Hungry Cat Picross was the first picross game I ever played, so the rules don't both me. I've started playing others, but I still really like the idea of actually using colored pixels to create an image, especially the larger 3x3 weekly puzzles.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I never understood why people like Hungry Cat. It is definitely not in the top tier when it comes to UI, which for a fiddly puzzle game like picross is an instant dealbreaker.

Because there's a huge lack of any even reasonably competent picross games on mobile?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

uPen posted:

Because there's a huge lack of any even reasonably competent picross games on mobile?

This always astounded me; I'd pay a premium price for a legitimately good Picross game. Hey, Nintendo... you're putting games on the Play store.... c'mon guys.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tried Hungry Cat this morning, it's a different game to traditional Picross but I'm still enjoying it as a puzzle game.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

This always astounded me; I'd pay a premium price for a legitimately good Picross game. Hey, Nintendo... you're putting games on the Play store.... c'mon guys.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Check out pokemon picross.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Radiation Cow posted:

Hungry Cat Picross was the first picross game I ever played, so the rules don't both me. I've started playing others, but I still really like the idea of actually using colored pixels to create an image, especially the larger 3x3 weekly puzzles.

Is it somehow different than Cross Me Color?

Zotix posted:

If you guys aren't playing pocket guild there's something wrong.

Is it this one?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Does Pocket Guild have any actual gameplay or is it just building your dudes and watching them auto fight?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Right now it's kind of watching them fight but you need to know when bosses do things, and switching between offense and defense and potions. It's fun learning each boss mechanic like a normal raid.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Shwqa posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Check out pokemon picross.
Do you have a 3DS in your phone or did you just forget what thread you clicked on :confused:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CrashCat posted:

Do you have a 3DS in your phone or did you just forget what thread you clicked on :confused:

I think the comment was meant in reply to me saying that Nintendo could make good Picross games, and apparently Pokemon Picross is a bad one. Maybe? I don't know. I haven't played it, but Mario Picross was great, plus whatever one was on the 3DS. Granted, that's not first-party (I don't think), but still, drat it's perfect.

GB_Sign
Oct 9, 2012

I played Paint it Back on my iPod a couple years ago and it was a really fun Picross game, I see articles and threads about it being on Android now but I can't find in the store and the devs have made no mention of it being pulled from the Play store as far as I can tell. Anyone know what happened to it?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

You're approaching this incorrectly. The numbers don't denote standard Picross info - that is, consecutive blocks separated by spaces. The numbers simply tell you how many of a particular color are in a row/column. If it told you the typical stuff like regular Picross, there'd be zero challenge due to the differences in the colors.

That means that, for a puzzle with (for example) four colors, any given row/column counter will have four numbers. If there's a circle, THAT'S when you know that the squares are consecutive. Which means you need to sort of start over from your typical knowledge of Picross patterns and such. It took me a while to wrap my brain around it, but once I did I found myself solving things with the same frequency - it's essentially a different game with heavy, heavy similarities to Picross that I found a hell of a lot of fun.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
New humble mobile bundle

$1: Prune, Framed, Battlestation: Harbinger

BTA (currently $5.53, this shot right up) : Frozen Synapse Prime, Lara Croft GO, Sorcery! 3, more added next week

$6: Grim Fandango Remastered, Desktop Dungeons

Top tier is worth it for Desktop Dungeons alone, imo. I'm going to see if I can sideload it onto my phone, it's pretty big so I hope it will be playable. Lara Croft GO is also pretty good, and I've had my eye on Framed for a bit.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Morpheus posted:

You're approaching this incorrectly. The numbers don't denote standard Picross info - that is, consecutive blocks separated by spaces. The numbers simply tell you how many of a particular color are in a row/column. If it told you the typical stuff like regular Picross, there'd be zero challenge due to the differences in the colors.

That means that, for a puzzle with (for example) four colors, any given row/column counter will have four numbers. If there's a circle, THAT'S when you know that the squares are consecutive. Which means you need to sort of start over from your typical knowledge of Picross patterns and such. It took me a while to wrap my brain around it, but once I did I found myself solving things with the same frequency - it's essentially a different game with heavy, heavy similarities to Picross that I found a hell of a lot of fun.

Bolded is what got me, though. I get that they did things a bit differently with the different colours, but they didn't actually have to; what's wrong with, in a 15-square-long line, having a blue 4 and a red 5, both stating that the consecutive 4 blue squares are somewhere to the left of the consecutive right 5 squares, and leave it at that? You'd still have to use those clues in addition to the vertical ones to solve the puzzle. I don't know, this whole argument is over some bullshit minutiae, and at the end of the day, I guess there are two schools of thought on this.

Then again, these forums would be barren if we didn't argue over pointless poo poo. :shobon:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Zotix posted:

If you guys aren't playing pocket guild there's something wrong.

Pocket Guild comes up with nothing?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mygdx.guildmaster.android

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

CrashCat posted:

I mean Nintendo has already given up on premium picross games.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

uPen posted:

I've never found a Picross game for Android that satisfied all of my nerd buttons. All I want is a decent interface, a good selection of puzzles, and a reasonable payment model. I've only ever had luck getting two out of three from that list.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Does anyone have any recommendations for any real time data stock market games? I just installed Best Brokers on a whim because it has a nice Material look to it, but I'm wondering whether there's anything better I should try out.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
There's a new F2P Total War game out: Total War Battles: Kingdom.

Also there's a new mobile Humble Bundle out. It's really, really good:

Prune
Battlestation: Harbinger
Framed
Frozen Synapse Prime (beat the average)
Lara Croft GO (beat the average)
Sorcery! 3 (beat the average)
Grim Fandango Remastered (pay $6 or more)
Desktop Dungeons (pay $6 or more)

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 22, 2016

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

ovaries posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for any real time data stock market games? I just installed Best Brokers on a whim because it has a nice Material look to it, but I'm wondering whether there's anything better I should try out.

A related question: are there any mobile games that have anything approaching a player-run economy? My secret shame is that I actually kind of like Hay Day. Overall it's a grindy Skinner box, but the limited player trading has me wishing there was anything I could play on my phone that had similar ideas to MMOs with complex economies. I know the ironic refrain of this thread is "you'd think a game like that would work well and be a big hit" but it really would be pretty fun if I could keep a multiplayer trading simulator in my pocket.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

mrkillboy posted:

There's a new F2P Total War game out: Total War Battles: Kingdom.

Also there's a new mobile Humble Bundle out. It's really, really good:

Prune
Battlestation: Harbinger
Framed
Frozen Synapse Prime (beat the average)
Lara Croft GO (beat the average)
Sorcery! 3 (beat the average)
Grim Fandango Remastered (pay $6 or more)
Desktop Dungeons (pay $6 or more)

You were beaten on this very page, but this is such a great deal that it should be posted again. :colbert:

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

You were beaten on this very page, but this is such a great deal that it should be posted again. :colbert:

drat, I didn't see that. I'm going to blame the Awful app on this :v:

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

drat straight.

For anyone primarily interested in Desktop Dungeons and wondering how it performs on a phone, I've played it a bit on my LG G3 now. It's a largish phone and I have small fingers, but I haven't had a single misclick so far. The text is kind of small, but it's only been egregious on the login form for cloud sync. I really think they could have gotten away with releasing on phablets.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Desktop Dungeons has constant crashes on my S7 sadly.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
It seems like some people are getting a crash on start that's fixable by going into the app settings and manually giving it permission to access storage, does that work for you?

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
I was getting frustrated and that did the trick.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

apokaladle posted:

drat straight.

For anyone primarily interested in Desktop Dungeons and wondering how it performs on a phone, I've played it a bit on my LG G3 now. It's a largish phone and I have small fingers, but I haven't had a single misclick so far. The text is kind of small, but it's only been egregious on the login form for cloud sync. I really think they could have gotten away with releasing on phablets.

Man I wish I could use survey bux on this. Real money is for suckers.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Is there any website that lets you search for Android games on the play store that are totally free, without ads or IAP. I'd be interested to check that out, especially if you could sort by average ratings, downloads, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Chinook posted:

Is there any website that lets you search for Android games on the play store that are totally free, without ads or IAP. I'd be interested to check that out, especially if you could sort by average ratings, downloads, etc.

If there are any sites that let you search by app permissions, that would be a good proxy. I don't keep a list of them but "totally free" games often have no permissions at all, or maybe the Internet permission. You can tell when a company leans hard on ad revenue when their game is "free" but requires me to give up my location, the other apps I have running, detailed WiFi information, and my phone number :v: