Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Jasper Chopper, anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

RIP servers

Sharay
Apr 19, 2008

Hauki posted:

RIP servers

Even for PoE, this felt like an unusually long loading screen. Guess that explains it.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
How do any of you play without an SSD?

Sharay
Apr 19, 2008

Gibbo posted:

How do any of you play without an SSD?

Poorly.

Slack Motherfucker
Aug 16, 2005

Pillbug
Could I have a guild invite? In game name is Iadria

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

Pooncha posted:

After way too much time in the Labyrinth (either died early, lagged out, or ran out of memory just before the final boss room :argh: ) I made my pacifistic summoning witch a necromancer and snagged a shitton of rares and a few uniques (including a nearly-maxed Facebreaker :v: ) from it. I probably should've given the skull to the Facebreaker instead of my current gloves, since "Word of the Tempest on hit" is not nearly as exciting when my witch never swings her weapon.

Pretty sure Word of Tempest triggers on spell hit too.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Would it trigger on a totem-cast SRS hit? :colbert:

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Any general advice for leveling a witch? Right now I'm just upping casting speed and the shield and using some cold spells. Might also consider making an archer.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 21, 2016

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Pick up an axe and level with Cleave like a hero :black101:

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Are there any recommended simple ice trap builds? I've never run a trapper before but it seems like a pretty decent/strong style. I'm looking at Pohx's, currently but is there a "better" option?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Are there any recommended simple ice trap builds? I've never run a trapper before but it seems like a pretty decent/strong style. I'm looking at Pohx's, currently but is there a "better" option?

All the ones I've seen are his or very slight variations on his.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
re:Zippity

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...txW6AhJouoS4Q==

something like this. very subject to change though.

mathil video kind of touches on something similar to what you were talking about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DnMhdDHEcA

heres one i watched early on that seems to be very similar to what you were talking about, it's a crit based poison prolif sunder varunastra build

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1618522

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 21, 2016

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:
Would it be plausible to run some kind of crit based ice spear witch? there's something about the build that seems intriguing to me.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I was asked to post my flameblast build, so here it is:

poeurl.com/AkX <- Endgame nodes
poeurl.com/AkY <- My current nodes at lvl82

5link: flameblast -> faster casting -> chance to ignite -> fire penetration -> controlled destruction
curse setup: blasphemy -> flammability -> temporal chains
Clarity max level
Fire golem

Suggested gear: Blood dance boots (damage, regen), rise of the phoenix (reflect), cloak of flame (ignite duration, physical mitigation)

Bandits: Oak, Alira, Kraityn

http://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Rodent1/characters <- My actual setup here, the gear is pretty loving mediocre

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Maddot_66 posted:

Would it be plausible to run some kind of crit based ice spear witch? there's something about the build that seems intriguing to me.

Absolutely. The tree and gear doesn't need to be anything special, a typical projectile crit spell build will work. You'll be able to get away with less crit than typical considering the silly amount of crit chance it has.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Tabletops posted:

re:Zippity

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...txW6AhJouoS4Q==

something like this. very subject to change though.

mathil video kind of touches on something similar to what you were talking about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DnMhdDHEcA

heres one i watched early on that seems to be very similar to what you were talking about, it's a crit based poison prolif sunder varunastra build

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1618522

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...TZlTWBBY3ALwQAA is what I was thinking of

Grat violence, Blood in the Eyes, and Painforged for nodes with Vera and that butcher knife for weapons

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lmao http://i.imgur.com/tcyODxX.gif :nws:

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Maddot_66 posted:

I ran this a few leagues ago, it was fun. I got Atziri down with it, and it was really good at mapping and freezing lovely bosses. I can see it being good with an Inquisitor or a Assassin. I didn't like the ele prolif variants and at the time I ran ball of lightning/curse on hit (before blasphemy) which cleared packs so I didn't need Pierce, but with the pierce buff I'd def run it with Pierce now.

I think that it's fallen behind in terms of dps though.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

TheRat posted:

I was asked to post my flameblast build, so here it is:

poeurl.com/AkX <- Endgame nodes
poeurl.com/AkY <- My current nodes at lvl82

5link: flameblast -> faster casting -> chance to ignite -> fire penetration -> controlled destruction
curse setup: blasphemy -> flammability -> temporal chains
Clarity max level
Fire golem

Suggested gear: Blood dance boots (damage, regen), rise of the phoenix (reflect), cloak of flame (ignite duration, physical mitigation)

Bandits: Oak, Alira, Kraityn

http://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Rodent1/characters <- My actual setup here, the gear is pretty loving mediocre

Hey, why use a chance to ignite gem in your 5-link, when your elemental conflux is going to ignite absolutely everything anyway?

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

Phobophilia posted:

Hey, why use a chance to ignite gem in your 5-link, when your elemental conflux is going to ignite absolutely everything anyway?

for killing when its down/on rares/unique mobs I would imagine

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Yup, pretty much. Consistency is the name of the game.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

TheRat posted:

Yup, pretty much. Consistency is the name of the game.

actually the name of the game is path of exile: ascendancy

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

ZenVulgarity posted:

It's not, coins rule

I did the thing, you are correct about the coins.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

How do you view the ascendant nodes on the poe skill thing

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ZenVulgarity posted:

How do you view the ascendant nodes on the poe skill thing

on the website? you pick the ascendancy and then an arrow shows up on the little wheel thing where you start that shows your current str/int/dex

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Is there any way to make holding shift the default without Autohotkey?

Turns out the AMD Crimson drivers are even worse than I thought. If you're stuck on a red card and having issues, go back to Catalyst.

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Mar 21, 2016

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
I just finished Cruel and I'm wondering what to do next.
I jumped into Act 1 Merciless just to see my adjusted stats and I think I really need some more resistance, especially chaos.
My current resistances are 5% Fire , 65% Cold, 23% Lightning, -40% Chaos and I have 1465 Life and 923 ES.
I'm using a dual spark totem Scion (this build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1585297/page/1) and my totems do about 2k dps.

Should I farm Cruel/what should I be looking for?

I read that Dried Lake is quite popular, why is that?

I also need to do the labyrinth but I've been putting that off because of the traps.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

scissorman posted:

I jumped into Act 1 Merciless just to see my adjusted stats and I think I really need some more resistance, especially chaos.
My current resistances are 5% Fire , 65% Cold, 23% Lightning, -40% Chaos and I have 1465 Life and 923 ES.
I'm using a dual spark totem Scion (this build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1585297/page/1) and my totems do about 2k dps.

I also need to do the labyrinth but I've been putting that off because of the traps.

Act 1-2 Merc is probably less difficult overall than Act 4 Cruel, just hie yourself along to Fellshrine Ruins and farm up a couple levels while keeping an eye out for resist items. You can also pick up resist rings and try to alch them into something tolerable. Chaos resist is nice but rare and you don't really need it until maps, I wouldn't worry too much.

Dried Lake is generally acknowledged to be the best farming spot before maps, for whatever arcane reasons these things are determined.

Ixjuvin fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Mar 21, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ixjuvin posted:

Dried Lake is generally acknowledged to be the best farming spot before maps, for whatever arcane reasons these things are determined.

Really high monster density but less annoying enemies than The Harvest (which is 2 levels higher) and you don't have to fight Kaom and Daresso to get there.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Sub 1500 life for the end of Cruel sounds pretty low.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

scissorman posted:

You should upgrade your gear so you have maxed (75%) resists in Merciless. Chaos damage is rare and generally not too dangerous before you get to maps at 70+, so don't worry too much about it. It's balanced around the expectation that players have much lower resistance to chaos. Since you're Life/ES hybrid (and chaos damage bypasses ES) you might want to get a little bit.

To upgrade gear, go to http://poe.trade and search for items in your league. Generally for leveling gear, I would set the max buyout to 1 alchemy, set the max level to your own level, and search for items with high [Total] maximum life and [Pseudo] Total resist. Lower those thresholds until you find something. Generally you should be able to find a few items with 60%+ resists which will get you capped quickly.

Dried Lake is so popular because: It has really high monster density, open layout with no dead ends, relatively harmless mobs (bring a bleed flask) and two bosses to kill for drops if you have high single target dps. It's high enough level that there is no currency drop penalty, and no xp penalty until you should be well into maps anyway. It's almost a perfect farming zone.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ixjuvin posted:

Act 1-2 Merc is probably less difficult overall than Act 4 Cruel, just hie yourself along to Fellshrine Ruins and farm up a couple levels while keeping an eye out for resist items. You can also pick up resist rings and try to alch them into something tolerable. Chaos resist is nice but rare and you don't really need it until maps, I wouldn't worry too much.

in addition: from act 2 merc you can complete chaos recipes and then just buy stuff from the market (chaos goes a very long way in this league, at least if you don't shoot for extemes)

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

J posted:

If you're a pure life based character then just grab a good couple of life flasks and a quicksilver flask and just run through the traps as fast as you can, not even kidding. The faster, the better. You'll be surprised at how much less scary they'll seem.

I've tried using a quill rain on my off slot with blink arrow just for hopping over lab traps.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
My friend was trying to help me get through the Normal lab and I kept loving it up. I don't know why, I guess when I play POE I just want to run around and kill stuff and find loot. Having to be patient in this one section seems to play against the core gameplay. It probably didn't help I had 8 zombies running around making everything super distracting for myself.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Isn't summoner more of a late game build.

Just go fire totems until level 60.

Unrelated I got my first Tabula this weekend and it is a curse. Magic 6 link is so sexy but you know you will have to dump it soon. Argh.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Let's figure out kind of gimmicky builds

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Elerion posted:

You should upgrade your gear so you have maxed (75%) resists in Merciless. Chaos damage is rare and generally not too dangerous before you get to maps at 70+, so don't worry too much about it. It's balanced around the expectation that players have much lower resistance to chaos. Since you're Life/ES hybrid (and chaos damage bypasses ES) you might want to get a little bit.

To upgrade gear, go to http://poe.trade and search for items in your league. Generally for leveling gear, I would set the max buyout to 1 alchemy, set the max level to your own level, and search for items with high [Total] maximum life and [Pseudo] Total resist. Lower those thresholds until you find something. Generally you should be able to find a few items with 60%+ resists which will get you capped quickly.

Dried Lake is so popular because: It has really high monster density, open layout with no dead ends, relatively harmless mobs (bring a bleed flask) and two bosses to kill for drops if you have high single target dps. It's high enough level that there is no currency drop penalty, and no xp penalty until you should be well into maps anyway. It's almost a perfect farming zone.

thank you so much for this, I never really knew how to use poe.trade a ton to find what i wanted, but this breakdown really helped.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

My friends rerolled on PHC even though they are twice as reckless as me :shobon:

One is going RF totems the other is going earthquake

Is there a good/relatively cheap HC support build? Or should I go earthquake as well and wreck face? Or would two earthquakes cancel each other out or something

I just want to not die and hopefully make them not die too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
You can get very solid items for 1c. It's pretty much the default if someone thinks an item is valuable but aren't that good at valuing it and don't feel like price checking. I wouldn't go over that until you're going for a gg end game item.

• Locked thread