Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I don't think they could do a compelling 13 episode series of the Punisher.

Watching him being the best loving thing about this season I definitely have way more faith in him being able to carry a show than Luke Cage who was a total wet fart throughout most of JJ

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

The Mentalizer posted:

Like I said, maybe I mixed it up with something. And it wasn't "only real veterans can get real PTSD", it was "don't diminish their experience by connecting them to mine"

It's actually really hard to use PTSD in court for civilian cases because juries are dumb and don't get it. Abused spouses generally have PTSD symptoms too and lawyers had to invent Battered Wives' Syndrome so that people would understand the mindset though it's functionally the same thing.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Lurdiak posted:

Sure they could, if they give him a supporting cast.

So basically Welcome Back Frank again.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
Filed under "poo poo That Will Never Happen": Jeremy Renner wants to do a Hawkeye Netflix show.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Does the Netflix deal have a mandate on # of episodes? Something like a Punisher show might work better with a 6-7 episode season instead of stretching it to 13. I liked Jessica Jones but it really didn't need to be 13 episodes.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

GLOSS posted:

Filed under "poo poo That Will Never Happen": Jeremy Renner wants to do a Hawkeye Netflix show.

Of course he does. He's not getting a Bourne sequel since Matt's back, and he is treated as a third string character within the MCU. Not even secondary.

Netflix should consider doing movies to supplement the shows. I think a Punisher movie might be easier to pull off than a full series, but I also understand that there might be some cost effectiveness issues at play there too. But ffs, if they can fund Adam Sandler movies....

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I don't think they originally planned to do a second season of Daredevil so soon. I only heard that they were doing one season of each and then a Defenders mini-series. If that's true then they must have room to negotiate for more seasons before finishing their initial run.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Veotax posted:

I don't think they originally planned to do a second season of Daredevil so soon. I only heard that they were doing one season of each and then a Defenders mini-series. If that's true then they must have room to negotiate for more seasons before finishing their initial run.

I'm fairly certain Netflix will fund whatever the Marvel guys want, seeing as how they've struck nothing but gold with their last 3 marvel series. I fully expect a Punisher spin-off to be announced soon.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dacap posted:

Does the Netflix deal have a mandate on # of episodes? Something like a Punisher show might work better with a 6-7 episode season instead of stretching it to 13. I liked Jessica Jones but it really didn't need to be 13 episodes.

That deal was on Daredevil, JJ, Luke Cage and Iron Fist season 1.

Anything else (including Daredevil S2 if they wanted) could be a different number.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

GLOSS posted:

I don't see why not. The TV shows can be produced faster. If Marvel wants to keep up doing a couple Netflix shows a year, why not use established characters and stars?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't see why not. The TV shows can be produced faster. If Marvel wants to keep up doing a couple Netflix shows a year, why not use established characters and stars?

Aside from the fact no one gives a poo poo about Renner's Hawkeye you mean?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Skwirl posted:

Aside from the fact no one gives a poo poo about Renner's Hawkeye you mean?

Well to be fair, no one gave a poo poo about Ryan Reynolds Deadpool 3 years ago. Given the right material Hawkeye could be great.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Did anyone else get the feeling that they are building up to a story about Melvin Potter returning as the gladiator? He seems a little more cheerful and twitchy about Betsy each time he appears.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Medullah posted:

Well to be fair, no one gave a poo poo about Ryan Reynolds Deadpool 3 years ago. Given the right material Hawkeye could be great.

Deadpool was in development for the better part of 10 years with Ryan as the lead, and a lot of people thought he would do a good job with good material, and a lot of people felt bad how much the character was screwed in Origins. Deadpool also has/had a bigger/louder fanbase. No one really cares about Hawkeye as a live action character mostly because they chose to make him bland as gently caress in the MCU. Pretty much the only people itching for an expanded Hawkeye presence at this point are people who read the Fraction run, and considering the MCU chose to make Hawkeye a near middle age dad with a family and a farmhouse, I doubt that is even on the table at this point. I'm not saying it couldn't be done well, but it is so far into the unlikely realm that it is probably not even worth considering. There are more people asking for more Black Widow than Hawkeye anyway, so who would it even be for?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It would be cool if they just decided to do something based on Fraction's run and completely ignored the characterization from Avengers 2, kinda like they did with Deadpool and his previous film role.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Skwirl posted:

It would be cool if they just decided to do something based on Fraction's run and completely ignored the characterization from Avengers 2, kinda like they did with Deadpool and his previous film role.

That was a Fox decision though, and they are kind of free to play fast and loose with their own continuity, especially when the reboots are happening as a result of their own failures. The MCU, by all accounts, is pretty rigid with its creative choices, so the Hawkeye portrayal is what it is and it has ultimately been signed off on by the people at the top. As much as I agree with you, his fate in the MCU has basically been sealed for the time being.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Skwirl posted:

They're really going to have to nail the casting of Pizzadog if they want this to work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

That was a Fox decision though, and they are kind of free to play fast and loose with their own continuity, especially when the reboots are happening as a result of their own failures. The MCU, by all accounts, is pretty rigid with its creative choices, so the Hawkeye portrayal is what it is and it has ultimately been signed off on by the people at the top. As much as I agree with you, his fate in the MCU has basically been sealed for the time being.

Yeah, I know it would never happen, I just think it would be cool if they did that. Another factor is I think Fox considers Wolverine: Origins to be a failure and Marvel Studios doesn't consider Avengers 2 to be one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

jscolon2.0 posted:

They're really going to have to nail the casting of Pizzadog if they want this to work.

Get one of the survivors from the Snow Buddies, they have the real world experience with horrible trauma to sell the role.

Edit: Had to double check which movie resulted in a boat load of dead puppies.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I know it would never happen, I just think it would be cool if they did that. Another factor is I think Fox considers Wolverine: Origins to be a failure and Marvel Studios doesn't consider Avengers 2 to be one.

Out loud, they haven't admitted to failure at all so far, but considering the behind the scenes political shifting that happened around the time Ultron released, I am guessing they might not view it very fondly.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

Maybe he has to stay in New York a lot because of Avengers business so he gets a lovely apartment and it goes from there and his family is just a thing that exists but he can't go see all the time so they get like maybe an appearance in one episode or something.

Come to think of it, the MCU stuff has really not touched on "sidekicks" or "training my eventual replacement/another hero in my "genre"" type hero stuff at all, has it?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bunnyofdoom posted:

So basically Welcome Back Frank again.

Well, you could take elements of that, for sure.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, that part didn't bother me, I just thought that Karen insisting it wasn't PTSD to Foggy and then explaining Frank's mindset in a way that can only be interpreted as severe PTSD was hilarious.

Didn't Karen just pass on that Frank wasn't going to play ball with the PTSD defence? Which was exactly what he told her, hence why Foggy had to get a doctor to diagnose him with something else as a mitigating factor to basically try and pull the big charges down to murder 2?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Didn't Karen just pass on that Frank wasn't going to play ball with the PTSD defence? Which was exactly what he told her, hence why Foggy had to get a doctor to diagnose him with something else as a mitigating factor to basically try and pull the big charges down to murder 2?

I believe what he was posting about is in a different episode.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.

Codependent Poster posted:

Honestly, it comes more from the "He's a known commodity in the movies and both TV and movies sides will be DAMNED if they have to work together beyond a minute reference here and there" side of things than anything. I'd love if they'd let the two things intermingle more but it just seems less and less likely as time goes on...

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Finished DD S2 earlier today. Overall really impressed with the acting and the overall plot. I was really impressed with the supporting cast. I felt the fight choreography wasn't as good as season 1. There was one flashback scene with Elektra and Matt that was particularly bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

For anyone wondering (no one), Elektra's french is impeccable. Although the subtitles just lied at one point, possibly for pacing reasons.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Uh, the actress IS French, isn't she? I assume if she got bad lines, she'd just correct them when actually on set.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I just bring it up because I'm constantly making fun of shows and comics and films that have garbage french spoken by supposedly fluent characters.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I just bring it up because I'm constantly making fun of shows and comics and films that have garbage french spoken by supposedly fluent characters.

It's funny you bring that up because one of the main Japanese guys was pretty obviously not fluent and speaking with a noticeable accent. We all pick up on what we know.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

Uh, the actress IS French, isn't she? I assume if she got bad lines, she'd just correct them when actually on set.

Yes she is. I think the first thing I ever saw her in was the District 13 sequel, in which she played a badass ninja. Hmm. She might be onto something here.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Maybe if they ever make an adaptation of the IDW TMNT comics she can play one of the french parkour savate ninjas.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

X-O posted:

Yes she is. I think the first thing I ever saw her in was the District 13 sequel, in which she played a badass ninja. Hmm. She might be onto something here.

They made a sequel to Banlieue 13? Well, that's going on my "must watch" list.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bruceski posted:

They made a sequel to Banlieue 13? Well, that's going on my "must watch" list.

It's not a great film, but it still has Cyril Raffaelli and David Belle doing crazy poo poo so in that regard it's fun. Plus Elodie Yung's brief appearance is good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

As opposed to GI Joe, where she played a (kinda) badass ninja, or Daredevil where she... um, maybe she should talk to her agent.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Egyptian God Hathor doesn't seem to be prone to any ninjaing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Why they haven't done a Young Avengers or Runaways series, either animated or live action is weird. There's tons of kids who love Marvel stuff, and they're sure as hell not going to be watching Daredevil or Jessica Jones, but those would fit perfectly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Runaways was in production as a film but they dropped the project for assorted reasons. I believe Power Pack has also been proposed but went nowhere.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Power Pack would make for a great not-as-good-as-pixar CG Disney feature, like Big Hero 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Power Pack would make for a great not-as-good-as-pixar CG Disney feature, like Big Hero 6.

Agreed.

Now the problem with Runaways is the MCU has only a handful of established super villains so it'd be harder to set up their world even if their parents villainy is super secret.