Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

walrusman posted:

Wasting all that rice to most likely accomplish nothing is just stupid.

Oh, it won't accomplish nothing. It is actually worse than nothing. The rice will absorb some of the water, becoming wet goopy starch. Wet rice is more difficult to clean up than water. Since it is difficult to move gooey wet starch, the genius will probably decide to let the rice dry out on its own. But all that damp rice is a perfect medium to grow mold.

In the end the mess he has to clean up will be much worse than what he started with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Stay safe John

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The "ballpoint pens as chopsticks" thing is tripping me out, because you can get like a hundred pairs of those cheap snap-apart bamboo chopsticks for about $2, or maybe spend a little more (but still under $10) on 10-20 pairs of decent square dishwasher-safe melamine ones like you see in the nicer Chinese restaurants. Really, two to eight dollars to eat noodles and not look like an insane person. Also, actual chopsticks are made of food-grade materials.

It's like taping sewing needles to a stick instead of using a plastic fork.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The "ballpoint pens as chopsticks" thing is tripping me out, because you can get like a hundred pairs of those cheap snap-apart bamboo chopsticks for about $2, or maybe spend a little more (but still under $10) on 10-20 pairs of decent square dishwasher-safe melamine ones like you see in the nicer Chinese restaurants. Really, two to eight dollars to eat noodles and not look like an insane person. Also, actual chopsticks are made of food-grade materials.

It's like taping sewing needles to a stick instead of using a plastic fork.

Or they could just use a fork. They probably already have those on hand.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Samizdata posted:

NotSoSeriousPost: But what if the diabeetus has taken your toes?

Lie down on the floor and roll around like the protagonist in seminal anime Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriot.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Len posted:

Or they could just use a fork. They probably already have those on hand.

But then they won't look like their animes

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Scathach posted:

One crazy lifehack your insurance agent hates! Depreciate your car's value in mere seconds!

The true lifehack would be to just drive your car to depreciate the value.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nah, simply owning a car depreciates the value, which is something a lot of people don't understand. Outside of a few rare exceptions, all cars get less valuable with age, regardless of condition or mileage.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Kwyndig posted:

Nah, simply owning a car depreciates the value, which is something a lot of people don't understand. Outside of a few rare exceptions, all cars get less valuable with age, regardless of condition or mileage.

"My car is getting less valuable but my auto insurance is getting more expensive?! How does that work?! :rant:"

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.

Sleeveless posted:

"My car is getting less valuable but my auto insurance is getting more expensive?! How does that work?! :rant:"

That's because drunkenly crashing into mailboxes tends to have negative effects.
Lifehack. Not reporting your auto accidents and driving away before you can be identified keeps your insurance cost low.:mrwhite:

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

http://www.viralands.com/12-amazing-life-hacks-and-tricks/1

Over half of these aren't even life hacks

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

#12 is my favorite.

quote:

12. This is pretty amazing - did you know that fire doesn't cast a shadow?
:geno:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I feel my life is now hacked.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Why use the ketchup the normal way!

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

My Lovely Horse posted:

Why use the ketchup the normal way!

This one bugs me every time I see it. I've never had a problem getting all the ketchup I need and I've never had to tear open the cup. Are they trying to dowse and eat 10 french fries at once? Or is it that they want the french fries entirely coated in ketchup? WTF

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It makes sense to just get one cup in its large form if you have several people eating fries. Unless you have a double-dipper in the group.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Jerry Cotton posted:

It makes sense to just get one cup in its large form if you have several people eating fries. Unless you have a double-dipper in the group.

Well, the great thing about :911: is that everyone can have their own ketchup cup. Seriously, wtf eating communal french fries?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Double dip in very obvious ways to ensure an entire ketchup container for yourself when eating McDonald's with friends #lifehack

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Karma Monkey posted:

Well, the great thing about :911: is that everyone can have their own ketchup cup. Seriously, wtf eating communal french fries?

In other parts of the world, not destroying all life on the planet is considered polite. The fries aren't communal, just the condiment.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Jerry Cotton posted:

In other parts of the world, not destroying all life on the planet is considered polite. The fries aren't communal, just the condiment.

Sounds like a good way to AIDS, comrade.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

1redflag posted:

Sounds like a good way to AIDS, comrade.

Sure, we've got student aid, medical aid, travel aid. Loads of aids.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Gazaar posted:

This is the kind of poo poo you throw away behind a persons back to improve their life for them. Then just show them how to prop a phone up against a couple books or something.

Does propping the phone up against a couple of books also act as an amplifier for the phone speakers because that is the point of that particular life hack walla

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

titties posted:

Does propping the phone up against a couple of books also act as an amplifier for the phone speakers because that is the point of that particular life hack walla

Yeah someone posted that already on this page.

Doesn't change that it needs to be thrown in the garbage as an intervention.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Karma Monkey posted:

This one bugs me every time I see it. I've never had a problem getting all the ketchup I need and I've never had to tear open the cup. Are they trying to dowse and eat 10 french fries at once? Or is it that they want the french fries entirely coated in ketchup? WTF

I saw a clip of someone performing that life hack then dipping their burger in the ketchup puddle.
loving animal.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

What kind of a monster dips a burger?

Hey look, 1760 calories not including the milk. Want a day's calories and little of the nutrition in one easy sitting? Life hacked!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scathach has a new favorite as of 23:28 on Mar 20, 2016

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Food hack: be a poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QumydR_G2i8

simplyhorribul
Jul 30, 2013

Len posted:

Just imagine how many people are going to see that and think "oh poo poo, I can do that too" and gently caress up their mouths. :allears:
My thoughts exactly. Maybe he did well*, but the über-frugal people who will follow... :allears:

*Althou all my dentist/doctor friends were horrified how he permanently hosed up his roots, but oh well, it's just more money for them for upcoming root canal treatments or something.

Why? WHY?! :psyduck:

simplyhorribul has a new favorite as of 02:42 on Mar 21, 2016

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

simplyhorribul posted:

My thoughts exactly. Maybe he did well*, but the über-frugal people who will follow... :allears:

*Althou all my dentist/doctor friends were horrified how he permanently hosed up his roots, but oh well, it's just more money for them for upcoming root canal treatments or something.

They were actually horrified that they'll all be out of jobs once everyone has their own 3d printer. And 3d scanner. And CAD software. Yep, the writing is on the wall for those guys.

simplyhorribul
Jul 30, 2013

Angela Christine posted:

They were actually horrified that they'll all be out of jobs once everyone has their own 3d printer. And 3d scanner. And CAD software. Yep, the writing is on the wall for those guys.
Is it seriously that big thing in US? I mean, here where they have free dental health care till you turn 15, braces aren't really the thing that thrives dental health industry.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

simplyhorribul posted:

Is it seriously that big thing in US? I mean, here where they have free dental health care till you turn 15, braces aren't really the thing that thrives dental health industry.

We have an unusual obsession with straightness and whiteness in America.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

13Pandora13 posted:

We have an unusual obsession with straightness and whiteness in America.

nice

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Hairbrush with a mirror on the back?

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

meat package in microwave, Pasi Viheraho is the hero this thread needs..

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Of course it's Finland.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

#2 is the best.

quote:

2. The on and off switch used to be separate icons, until someone came up with the ideal to combine the two of them together.
Leaving aside the fact that that's the stand-by icon, not the on/off one, I just don't understand the thought process of whoever wrote that. Like, do they think the idea to combine the symbols predates the idea to replace the switch with a button? Like, someone was thinking "I wish we could replace this switch with a button, but what symbol would we put on it? Do we put the on and off symbols side by side or what? No, I guess the idea of a power button is doomed to remain a dream." and then someone came up with the idea to combine the symbols and the world was changed forever!

simplyhorribul
Jul 30, 2013
I miss the Finnish "How to Basics"-guy without egg and toilet fetish. He sure taught the jonnes how to pour milk on cereals and open an ES can.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

http://i.imgur.com/TIEiyOq.webm

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tiggum posted:

#2 is the best.

Leaving aside the fact that that's the stand-by icon, not the on/off one, I just don't understand the thought process of whoever wrote that. Like, do they think the idea to combine the symbols predates the idea to replace the switch with a button? Like, someone was thinking "I wish we could replace this switch with a button, but what symbol would we put on it? Do we put the on and off symbols side by side or what? No, I guess the idea of a power button is doomed to remain a dream." and then someone came up with the idea to combine the symbols and the world was changed forever!

It is the on/off icon, it's just that most electronic hardware is designed to be on standby all the time and explaining the difference to the average consumer is a waste of time.

You're right though, neither clever nor a life hack.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

quote:

Recipe: Coffee Maker Dinner With Poached Salmon, Couscous And Steamed Vegetables

1. Add chopped broccoli and cauliflower into the basket until it is halfway full.
2. Add the maximum amount of water into the coffee maker's reservoir. Run the coffeemaker until the reservoir has just enough water left in it to cook the couscous. Stop the appliance.
3. Dump out the water in the carafe. Add the couscous to the carafe.
4. With a fork, mix up the vegetables in the basket to ensure even steaming. Then restart the coffee maker until the cycle finishes. Let couscous sit for 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
5. Keep the vegetables in the basket (it takes two cycles to steam-cook them). Place the salmon in the carafe. Add some soy sauce, ginger, garlic or whatever seasoning you'd like. Fill the reservoir with about 3 cups of water and run the cycle.
6. Let the salmon sit in the hot water until it's opaque and flaky (for us it took only 7 minutes). Remove salmon and vegetables. Plate.

Note: If you have a hard time getting the cooked salmon out of the carafe use your hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
That looks bland and boring as gently caress. Just like the people who come up with this poo poo.