Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
The best part of BnS was just hanging out in the first real town and ganking people that put on the PvP outfits without thinking it flags them because they didn't read the fine print.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Tamayachi posted:

The best part of BnS was just hanging out in the first real town and ganking people that put on the PvP outfits without thinking it flags them because they didn't read the fine print.

Unfortunately the worst part was the rest of the game.

Dark Juno
Mar 10, 2013

by zen death robot
MMORPG

MMO = End game
RPG = Leveling

I'm a genius I know.

ahy ess dee eph
Mar 10, 2007
I played the poo poo out of Fallen Earth relentlessly for over a year when it first launched. That game was pretty rad, it just lacked a sufficient player size to support the player-driven economy. It launched the same day as Aion so most people just left to go gently caress around with angel wings.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Secret Woooooooorld!

The best worst game you will be disappointed with! Marvel at how awesome it could have been if funcom wasn't terrible! It's the game you desperately want to be amazing, but which always falls short in some way. Nevertheless, you will get to shoot cthulhu in the dick with a shotgun and that can't be understated. On the other hand it's pretty much as far from WOW as you can get so YMMV.

If you give me your steam account, I'll give you a free copy! I'm like the secret world version of Santa, and I'll fill your stocking with sadness and apathy!

Rift was so amazing at launch. I went back at some point after quitting for a while and just noped on out again. Everything suddenly got super easy and stupid. And they got rid of all the cool little things that made it unique in favor of moar lik WOW. And what the poo poo happened to my heal wizard while I was gone?

edit: "stocking"

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Various people posted:

BDO: i didnt get past level 1.
I don't believe it. Just running up and talking to the first village chief gets you to level 4

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Gawain The Blind posted:

Secret Woooooooorld!

The best worst game you will be disappointed with! Marvel at how awesome it could have been if funcom wasn't terrible! It's the game you desperately want to be amazing, but which always falls short in some way. Nevertheless, you will get to shoot cthulhu in the dick with a shotgun and that can't be understated. On the other hand it's pretty much as far from WOW as you can get so YMMV.

If you give me your steam account, I'll give you a free copy! I'm like the secret world version of Santa, and I'll fill your stocking with sadness and apathy!

Rift was so amazing at launch. I went back at some point after quitting for a while and just noped on out again. Everything suddenly got super easy and stupid. And they got rid of all the cool little things that made it unique in favor of moar lik WOW. And what the poo poo happened to my heal wizard while I was gone?

edit: "stocking"

I actually tried TSW. It didn't click. I don't recall why, I just recall suddenly playing other things. Thanks for the offer though!

I really loving loved Rift at launch, enough that I convinced all my friends to pick it up because I was turbosperging about how much fun I was having. The problem was we all hit the late midgame content desert and went "well this is poo poo" and then I think we went back to wow.

Bladedancer was really fun

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Digital_Jesus posted:

4.0 Goodbye PS3

Why is this rumor circulating? A quick google shows this isn't true

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Gawain The Blind posted:

Secret Woooooooorld!
On the other hand it's pretty much as far from WOW as you can get so YMMV.

Tab Targeting + Hotbar + Cooldown management = WoW in most peoples minds. So in that regard its pretty similar.

edit: Quote isn't edit, drat it

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Tab Targeting + Hotbar + Cooldown management = WoW in most peoples minds. So in that regard its pretty similar.

edit: Quote isn't edit, drat it

Yeah, mechanically it's similar I guess. But as far as concepts go im not sure it would appeal to somebody who's super into warcraft. Its slower (for the most part) and much more story driven.

ChickenWing posted:

I really loving loved Rift at launch, enough that I convinced all my friends to pick it up because I was turbosperging about how much fun I was having. The problem was we all hit the late midgame content desert and went "well this is poo poo" and then I think we went back to wow.

Bladedancer was really fun

I had a chloromancer/pyro/something or other that was max level, but I ran out of content so I quit for a while, and when I got back everything sucked. Pretty major disappointment, considering how badass it was for the first year of launch or whatever. The changes were all really unnecessary too, which makes it extra dumb.

I think guildwars 2 is probably the best current-gen mmo, if the tedious delights of TSW don't appeal to you. It's very solid the whole way through, though the changes to the early game kind of pointlessly make the first 5 (10? I can't remember) levels needlessly long. Why they level locked weapon abilities I do not know, it worked just fine before. I guess they thought spamming a single button for a whole level (then 2 buttons for another level) was more fun than unlocking your abilities through use. And your skill points are way less too now, I guess so you really look forward to your new skills? No idea. Last time I made an alt it was so frustrating how slow character progression is now that I just quit.

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 21, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Gawain The Blind posted:

I too liked rift.

I was a mage in full platemail throwing flaming spears.

Rift was a lovely game. That's my story about rift.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I'll say it again, black desert is the first MMO I've been excited to be playing in a while. I'm sure the late game is going to disappoint me as it's mostly PVP based and lol mmo pvp.

Coming from Bland and Soulless to a fully fleshed out MMO was weird, I was expecting another Korean garbage festival where the game is ridiculously bad but goons spoon it up because of oily anime tits. But no, this game is deep, complex, and I'll eventually get to kill these people:

Takane
Aug 24, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'll say it again, black desert is the first MMO I've been excited to be playing in a while. I'm sure the late game is going to disappoint me as it's mostly PVP based and lol mmo pvp.

Coming from Bland and Soulless to a fully fleshed out MMO was weird, I was expecting another Korean garbage festival where the game is ridiculously bad but goons spoon it up because of oily anime tits. But no, this game is deep, complex, and I'll eventually get to kill these people:

Why would you want to kill that guy????

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Rhymenoserous posted:

BDO is also the first korean mmo I haven't been able to play for more than 5 minutes, so YMMV.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Rhymenoserous posted:

I really wish I could get into BDO. A goon gave me a trial key, and I made it to the part where you kill kobolds and I just logged out because there was too much poo poo on my screen to figure out what was happening.

I feel like the UI is a huge mess, coupled with it feeling like they didn't explain core game mechanics in a competent way just threw me off. That and the combat system is funky as hell. I like action combat, but the button combos for attacks were off putting.

These are just opinions, please don't eat me alive BDO goons.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

1. The default UI is awful, but it can be managed by rearranging or hiding the stuff you don't need with the Edit UI button in the menu.

2. The classes use different combos and have a different feel to them. Did you try anything else? Did you try using a gamepad?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 23, 2016

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Jackard posted:

1. The default UI is awful, but it can be managed by rearranging or hiding the stuff you don't need with the Edit UI button in the menu.

2. The classes use different combos and have a different feel to them. Did you try anything else?

I tried uninstalling, worked like a charm.

Saying "the default UI is awful" doesn't really do it any justice, btw.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

The default UI is garbage for almost every MMO so I don't know what you were expecting. :jerkbag:

An in-game editor already puts it ahead of games that rely on third-party mods.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 23, 2016

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I tried uninstalling, worked like a charm.

Saying "the default UI is awful" doesn't really do it any justice, btw.

Same. Ui aside, I gave up when I saw the numbers in the RNG gear system. gently caress that poo poo.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

More inexplicable UI decisions: GW1 has an in-game editor, GW2 has nothing.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Jackard posted:

The default UI is garbage for almost every MMO so I don't know what you were expecting. :jerkbag:

An in-game editor already puts it ahead of games that rely on third-party mods.

I've played a metric fuckton of lovely MMOs, including a few in languages I cannot read or don't speak like Moonlight Blade in chinese and PSO2 in japanese. I played Age of Wushu and got past that UI, even. BDO's is so much worse that I couldn't make it past 5 minutes.

Is that enough of a picture of what I was expecting versus what I got?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

I've played a metric fuckton of lovely MMOs, including a few in languages I cannot read or don't speak like Moonlight Blade in chinese and PSO2 in japanese. I played Age of Wushu and got past that UI, even. BDO's is so much worse that I couldn't make it past 5 minutes.

Is that enough of a picture of what I was expecting versus what I got?

It was annoying the poo poo out of me till I turned half of it off.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I've played a metric fuckton of lovely MMOs, including a few in languages I cannot read or don't speak like Moonlight Blade in chinese and PSO2 in japanese. I played Age of Wushu and got past that UI, even. BDO's is so much worse that I couldn't make it past 5 minutes. Is that enough of a picture of what I was expecting versus what I got?
Just :lol: if you think Age of Wushu had a better interface, you can't even edit that one.

More likely your patience for this crap finally ran out

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Jackard posted:

Incredibly possible, but on the other hand it's still really really bad and not something to brush to the side like a lot of BDO goons like to do when evangelizing.

Rhymenoserous posted:

It was annoying the poo poo out of me till I turned half of it off.

I turned all of it off :v:

But seriously, they'd go a long way in BDO by just starting out with a lot of it shut off and letting new players find new options instead of overwhelming them with everything at once.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Jackard posted:

That's likely the case for a lot of people. That said, the ubiquitous complaint I keep hearing about BDO is "lovely UI". You can usually trust the zeitgeist on these things.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Brave New World posted:

That's likely the case for a lot of people. That said, the ubiquitous complaint I keep hearing about BDO is "lovely UI". You can usually trust the zeitgeist on these things.
This is easily fixed, though. Which is why I keep bringing it up.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Why, the solution is so obvious you had to tell him about it!
if the fix was obvious it wouldnt need mentioned, so what is this, a cheap jab? :psyduck:

Jackard fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 24, 2016

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Jackard posted:

This is easily fixed, though. Which is why I keep bringing it up.

Why, the solution is so obvious you had to tell him about it!

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

The UI is assy garbage, but the voice acting was worse.

holy fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that voice acting

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

I got a 7 day code or whatever for BDO and I played for... a day. I think.

Inexplicable korean design choices all over the place, terrible UI, awful voice acting. I think it would have been better if we just had korean audio and subtitles, honestly. The voices weren't just bad, they were soul cringingly bad.

The UI was terrible, but not in a "I need to move this poo poo around" kind of way, more in a "what the gently caress is even happening right now" kind of way. I felt like I was playing a game written by moon people for other moon people. Maybe i'm just old but at one point I just gave up trying to understand what was going on and what the numbers meant and just did my best to survive. Maybe that's the point. Maybe its an epic meta game about how Americans are terrible at math.

Here's roughly what was going on as I was playing:
"What is this, and why am I doing it? I guess I need six more of these. Huh, that number went up. Why did that number go up? I'm not even equipping that. Okay so for this attack I hit 'W' twice, then spacebar, then 'D' four times, then... you know what, i'm just going to never use that. Why am I collecting tickets? Oh the little black smudge fucker is back. I hope he has some disconnected nonsense to tell me. Oh good, time to farm six more of a thing!"

The character creator was alright, I guess. Oily plastic boob physics were set at 11.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

The game's two redeeming features, as seen in my 30 min playtime, are that it's loving -gorgeous- and the combat feels good.

Gawain The Blind posted:

The UI was terrible, but not in a "I need to move this poo poo around" kind of way, more in a "what the gently caress is even happening right now" kind of way. I felt like I was playing a game written by moon people for other moon people. Maybe i'm just old but at one point I just gave up trying to understand what was going on and what the numbers meant and just did my best to survive. Maybe that's the point. Maybe its an epic meta game about how Americans are terrible at math.

This is incredibly accurate. It's amazing that, in a world where WoW and its UI addons exist, people have not figured out how to make a loving intuitive-by-default UI.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

GW1 had a decent layout and in-game editor. Warhammer Online had an in-game editor and WoW style add-ons

Nothing else really comes to mind.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

RIFT had a pretty solid basic UI when it released and it got better with the first few patches. FFXIV 2.0 had a great UI right out of the gate that lets you move everything, scale everything individually to your liking, etc.

BDO lets you scale things universally and there are things you cannot disable. It also has all those loving pop ups constantly blinking for whatever reason, yes I know I have skill points stop reminding me I'm not spending them for another like 5 levels.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
people have universally hated pop-up anything since the birth of the internet and game designers still think its a good feature. why

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Blazing Zero posted:

people have universally hated pop-up anything since the birth of the internet and game designers still think its a good feature. why

That reminds me of the lovely "reminder" a particular mod for WoW had. For raiding purposes, there's two mods that shows you timers, mechanics and related for a given boss. DeadlyBossMods and Bigwigs. I don't know if it has changed as I quit a few months ago, however, DBM used to update up to several times a week instead of rolling all changes into a conglomerated patch because ... something, and each version mismatch would let you know there's a updated version for you to download in your chat window when you join a group with someone running a higher version. This used to be fairly innocuous, and just told you once. A fairly recent change to the mod put in a pop up window with a input box containing the DBM website so you can copy and paste the address. This would pop up in the middle of combat, center of your screen, and wrench all character control away from you if you're using a KB+M setup until you close the pop up.

I learned how to edit out that unwelcome "feature" very quickly, and looked into Bigwigs.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Cao Ni Ma posted:

RIFT had a pretty solid basic UI when it released and it got better with the first few patches. FFXIV 2.0 had a great UI right out of the gate that lets you move everything, scale everything individually to your liking, etc.

BDO lets you scale things universally and there are things you cannot disable. It also has all those loving pop ups constantly blinking for whatever reason, yes I know I have skill points stop reminding me I'm not spending them for another like 5 levels.

Wow and GW2 are the only mmos I have seen that can handle 4k without making GBS threads on the rug and running for the exit. Most of FF14 works fine but there is no way to make text scale up to a readable size.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Ulvirich posted:

That reminds me of the lovely "reminder" a particular mod for WoW had. For raiding purposes, there's two mods that shows you timers, mechanics and related for a given boss. DeadlyBossMods and Bigwigs. I don't know if it has changed as I quit a few months ago, however, DBM used to update up to several times a week instead of rolling all changes into a conglomerated patch because ... something, and each version mismatch would let you know there's a updated version for you to download in your chat window when you join a group with someone running a higher version. This used to be fairly innocuous, and just told you once. A fairly recent change to the mod put in a pop up window with a input box containing the DBM website so you can copy and paste the address. This would pop up in the middle of combat, center of your screen, and wrench all character control away from you if you're using a KB+M setup until you close the pop up.

I learned how to edit out that unwelcome "feature" very quickly, and looked into Bigwigs.

Or even worse, it now just disables itself if you haven't updated in a certain number of weeks, so you'll be halfway through a fight and wonder where your timers are then wipe everyone.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Blazing Zero posted:

This is the straw that broke the camel's back for me in Wildstar. Challenge pop ups were the worst god drat things.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

This is the straw that broke the camel's back for me in Wildstar. Challenge pop ups were the worst god drat things.

Wildstar and WAR Online were the games I really wanted to like. WAR Online really just needed more development time. Wildstar, I think even if they had enough time to iron out the bugs, pvp issues, finish the raids, etc, that the art style and humor would still be to annoying for me.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.

Arcland posted:

Wildstar and WAR Online were the games I really wanted to like. WAR Online really just needed more development time. Wildstar, I think even if they had enough time to iron out the bugs, pvp issues, finish the raids, etc, that the art style and humor would still be to annoying for me.

Wildstar is going to go into the textbooks for MMO game design as the perfect storm of groupthink and lack of community assessment/research ripping their game asunder. It really stinks, too, because it was a refreshing change of pace thematically from other MMOs.

WAR would have been great with a little more thought put into the PVP. BGs needed more fine tuning and they needed to get RvR system down that didn't involve flipping keep control to abuse rewards.

Thinking back to WAR got me thinking about how much I love weird classes in MMOs. I really wish Asheron's Call 2 didn't get reamed by public perception after its publisher pushed for a release that was way too early. A lot of us that came from AC1 got burned by the lack of polish and lategame substance. It turned into a really great game near the end of its dev cycle, but it never recovered from that first misstep. It really did have the best classes, though:

Do you like bees? Throw bees ok, wasps at enemies with the Tumerok Hivekeeper!

Ever wonder what The Hulk would do if he only had ranged options? Be a Lugian Raider and THROW GIANT BOULDERS at enemies with your basic attacks.

WAR and Shadowbane also had a lot of great classes, and both are dead. It feels like past 2010 or so, we haven't seen much deviation from the WoW holy trinity styled classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

FF14 was fun for 2 months and I kinda lost interest before I hit the endless Relic farm from FATES. I'm glad to hear it was the best choice because I don't want to do 100+ side quests for the new content after I hit Lvl 50 on my BLM.

Also I imagine it'd be better if I had more friends but I ended up relying on DF and randoms to clear quests a lot even on Excalibur. Not a huge fan of Coil or end-game raids but it's there.

• Locked thread