Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Kazvall posted:

Absolute scrubs in here talking down on Heretic without evening mentioning doom2's city levels.

It wasn't until the Giant Bomb did their Doom 2 thing that I realized Doom II is supposed to take place on earth, and those levels are supposed to represent cities and towns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

FanaticalMilk posted:

It wasn't until the Giant Bomb did their Doom 2 thing that I realized Doom II is supposed to take place on earth, and those levels are supposed to represent cities and towns.
The game is literally titled "Doom II: Hell on Earth", and the plot screens tell you that you're on earth and stuff. :psyduck:

Like where did you think you were? The "Suburbs" of Hell, where Jim McDemon and his wife and 2.5 demon kids live in a lovely subdivision run by an HOA that makes Satan Himself seem like an okay guy?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Xenomrph posted:

The game is literally titled "Doom II: Hell on Earth", and the plot screens tell you that you're on earth and stuff. :psyduck:

Like where did you think you were? The "Suburbs" of Hell, where Jim McDemon and his wife and 2.5 demon kids live in a lovely subdivision run by an HOA that makes Satan Himself seem like an okay guy?

In his defense, Doom's strength is how abstract its level design is. E1M1 is a "hangar"? Yeah right.

Buuuuut yeah its called "Doom 2 hell on earth", so between that and the skybox changes I figured it out pretty quick.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah, it was definitely one of those "How have I lived this long without realizing this" moments, but I guess I just never paid any attention to the plot when I was playing Doom II back in the day.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Zaphod42 posted:

This right here is why Hexen is in fact bad.

Hexen is pretty great, especially since they tried the whole hubworlds thing and classes, very unique. But then you find out you missed a switch somewhere and you have to go back to the castle of ice or steel or whatever after you already cleared the whole level once and gently caress that poo poo. Plus you only get like 3 weapons in the whole game because of the classes?

Heretic is way better.

Heretic is boring. I tried, I really did, but it's a pale Doom clone.

Hexen is fun if you know what to do/where everything is. First time through it's a bitch. It's also super fun as co-op

Later Doom 2 levels (specifically the city levels as mentioned) get too annoying and you run around trying to find keys rather than shooting poo poo but it's OK. There's one red key you have to get in a level (I forget the name of even though I just played it) where you have to activate a switch to bring down a wall to open up a teleporter that you then go through which takes you to some place where you don't get the red key...you have to go through the teleporter, and then turn around and go BACK through it and it teleports you to a different place where the key is. Who's the bright motherfucker who came up with that idea? It's not clever it's just annoying as gently caress.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Levitate posted:

Hexen is fun if you know what to do/where everything is. First time through it's a bitch. It's also super fun as co-op

Later Doom 2 levels (specifically the city levels as mentioned) get too annoying and you run around trying to find keys rather than shooting poo poo but it's OK. There's one red key you have to get in a level (I forget the name of even though I just played it) where you have to activate a switch to bring down a wall to open up a teleporter that you then go through which takes you to some place where you don't get the red key...you have to go through the teleporter, and then turn around and go BACK through it and it teleports you to a different place where the key is. Who's the bright motherfucker who came up with that idea? It's not clever it's just annoying as gently caress.
I know exactly what key you're talking about, I think it's in the map "Downtown". The game doesn't give you any indication that going back through the teleporter will send you anywhere other than where you came from. And as an added "gently caress you", the red key is in plain sight, there's just no obvious way to get it.

I ended up resorting to a YouTube walk through to figure that poo poo out.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Levitate posted:

That's Industrial Zone and lmao if you don't just take the secret exit instead

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Yeah if they had put a subtle arrow on the floor or wall texture pointing back at the teleporter I'd be OK with it but as I recall there's nothing to indicate that's what you should do. It's just a case of "people will run around until they've exhausted every other possibility and step back through the teleporter and discover it by accident"

e: don't know about the secret exit, I've only played through Doom 2 like once before this and mainly because the later levels start losing some fun and start to become a chore.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Xenomrph posted:

I know exactly what key you're talking about, I think it's in the map "Downtown". The game doesn't give you any indication that going back through the teleporter will send you anywhere other than where you came from. And as an added "gently caress you", the red key is in plain sight, there's just no obvious way to get it.

I ended up resorting to a YouTube walk through to figure that poo poo out.

I remember this level and it took me over an hour, I just brute forced it by trying everything over and over. Definitely confusing as gently caress.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

Don't be silly, Jim McDemon lives in the Monster Condo.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

FanaticalMilk posted:

Yeah, it was definitely one of those "How have I lived this long without realizing this" moments, but I guess I just never paid any attention to the plot when I was playing Doom II back in the day.

Don't worry, you're doing the right thing. Paying any mind to plot in video games is where bad goon opinions start to happen.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Zigmidge posted:

Don't worry, you're doing the right thing. Paying any mind to plot in video games is where bad goon opinions start to happen.

Nah, I pay attention to the plots in games, I just think my shareware copy may have had those sequences cut out. Videogame plots are awesome and ridiculous, the problem is when you start analyze them like you're writing your senior thesis on "War and Peace". People should just chill out and enjoy the zaniness that is video game plot justification.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

DOOM 64 IS THE REAL DOOM 3! JOIN MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN PRAYER TO THE ALMIGHTY NINTENDO GODS!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Kazvall posted:

DOOM 64 IS THE REAL DOOM 3! JOIN MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN PRAYER TO THE ALMIGHTY NINTENDO GODS!

Unironically this. I'm really glad there are Doom 64 wads and ports readily available, because it's a pretty great game and deserves the Doom name.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Doom 64 was darker than Doom 3. Not in the metaphorical sense either. You just can't see poo poo. God help you if you plan to play in a well moderately lit area.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Broose posted:

Doom 64 was darker than Doom 3. Not in the metaphorical sense either. You just can't see poo poo. God help you if you plan to play in a well moderately lit area.

All the n64 fps suffered from really bad gamma, but Doom 64 had the option to turn the gamma up at least, and to become the least offensive. Anyways, now there's a few options for Doom 64 ports/wads that you can play on PC.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Whoever at nintendo said it was okay to release Hexen 64, was probably blind. You can't see a loving thing.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
A friend and I beat Hexen 64, once, when we were young.

Through rentals :negative:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kazvall posted:

Whoever at nintendo said it was okay to release Hexen 64, was probably blind. You can't see a loving thing.

Nintendo seal of quality :thumbsup:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Ahundredbux posted:

I love Project Brutality and I find the ultra-violence to be hilarious in both that and the new Doom

Do you know of any good map packs for Doom 2 that work with Project Brutality?

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~

Jia posted:

That's Industrial Zone and lmao if you don't just take the secret exit instead

Hell, you don't even need the red key for the regular exit. Just skip it entirely.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ball Cupper posted:

Hell, you don't even need the red key for the regular exit. Just skip it entirely.
Are you sure we're all thinking of the same map? I'm phone posting at work so I can't really check YouTube, so I'll check when I get home.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/21/11277348/doom-multiplayer-modes-types-video

Doom will feature six multiplayer modes when it launches May 13, and a trailer published today details all of them.

The modes are called Soul Harvest, Freeze Tag, Warpath, Clan Arena, Domination and Team Deathmatch.

Direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr_df-GlX0E

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

...No...no CTF?

:(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Awesome Welles posted:

...No...no CTF?

Yeah that's a ridiculously glaring omission. CTF was THE game mode for Quake and Quake 3 for me.

Although lots of games have skipped on CTF lately, for whatever dumb reason. I guess its too old-fashioned? (what about DM?) but this is DOOM!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/21/11277348/doom-multiplayer-modes-types-video

Doom will feature six multiplayer modes when it launches May 13, and a trailer published today details all of them.

The modes are called Soul Harvest, Freeze Tag, Warpath, Clan Arena, Domination and Team Deathmatch.

Direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr_df-GlX0E

AND the beta starts in 10 days! :dance: Thanks Zaphod42 for cluing me in on the thread. Also there's nothing that says they can't add on CTF later on. I mean if they listened to people about the generic as gently caress cover then they really can't ignore the cacophony there probably already is about no CTF.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Awesome Welles posted:

...No...no CTF?

I'm sure Bethesda will release expansive mod support enabling this.

:negative:

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~

Xenomrph posted:

Are you sure we're all thinking of the same map? I'm phone posting at work so I can't really check YouTube, so I'll check when I get home.

I am thinking of Map 15 Industrial Zone, in Doom 2.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
is it confirmed that there's not going to be any sort of movement than running around?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pomp posted:

is it confirmed that there's not going to be any sort of movement than running around?

As in?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Cacodemon mounts.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ways to go fast, or quickly change trajectory. doom didn't have them, but doom also has you running at the speed of sound. Jumping looks like the hella slow floaty halo jumps, and the run still looks too slow to create a high skill cap in multiplayer. Single player looks like it might be fun, but the slow movement makes it look like demon halo rather than doom, let alone quake. :(

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Wavedashing

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pomp posted:

ways to go fast, or quickly change trajectory. doom didn't have them, but doom also has you running at the speed of sound. Jumping looks like the hella slow floaty halo jumps, and the run still looks too slow to create a high skill cap in multiplayer. Single player looks like it might be fun, but the slow movement makes it look like demon halo rather than doom, let alone quake. :(

You can probably do rocket-jumps and boosts, unless they specifically special-cased physics-stuff to prevent it

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Pomp posted:

The alpha multi was pretty twitchy and felt fast, just not old first doom fast. That'd be too much. Jumping was pretty precise, the mantling helped with the ledges. Rocket Jumping was drat hard to do and really damaging.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

No deathmatch? What the gently caress are they doing over there?

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Jiro posted:

The alpha multi was pretty twitchy and felt fast, just not old first doom fast. That'd be too much. Jumping was pretty precise, the mantling helped with the ledges. Rocket Jumping was drat hard to do and really damaging.
Despite your best efforts, this post does not inspire confidence.

There will possibly be a strafe jumping ut-style mutator according to leaked/hacked alpha footage but it looks incredibly janky and hacked together for now. The acceleration & air strafing looked very bizarre, like the pitiable attempt in that 'strafe' game. I wouldn't expect much.

koren fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 22, 2016

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been calling this game Retard 4

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

koren posted:

Despite your best efforts, this post does not inspire confidence.

There will possibly be a strafe jumping ut-style mutator according to leaked/hacked alpha footage but it looks incredibly janky and hacked together for now. The acceleration & air strafing looked very bizarre, like the pitiable attempt in that 'strafe' game. I wouldn't expect much.

Man I have no idea what you're expecting then other than Quake Live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I've been calling Black Baby Goku Retard 4