Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

lazorexplosion posted:

:psyduck: Some of them seem genuinely convinced there will be pooping related gameplay mechanics and dynamic AI making GBS threads behavior. Because how could any game be immersive without pooping mechanics? IMPOSSIBLE. We can only hope Chris will deliver high fidelity toilet clogging and unclogging dynamics and a dedicated plumbing and septic tank poo poo for true fans of space toiletry.

I really wish to be able to both be a space janitor and sell door-to-door insurance on Xenon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I want to poo poo my pants in space and have it mean something

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Will our butts have realistically modelled crimping physics?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

I want to know if space norovirii will be procedurally generated. It's important for my immersion

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

T-Minus posted:

Yeah so I'm T-Minus. The goonbrother. Thanks to the sponsorship of Haskell9, I'm a stupid newbie goon. First off, anyone who read that thread on the SC forum (in particular, my brother) should understand that I had to write that thread in a very specific manner, so as not to be destroyed by the hosts' autoimmune reaction. I knew it was going to get ugly but drat, you asked some good questions and I wanted answers. Regardless, as you can see, the results were chilling. The SC forums are a toxic place.

Secondly, you need not fear for me, I'm not a zealot. While I expect Star Citizen to release, with nearly all promised features, eventually; I'm not heavily vested in it - emotionally or financially - unlike some. While I said in the thread I'd spent $12k on the game (which is technically true), that's actually just the total that has passed through my account. The truth is, I'm one of the major grey marketeers, and every ship I've bought with that $12k I have sold for profit - In fact, my seed capital was only one $1000 ship (yep ONLY ONE $1000 digital potential future internet spaceship; what a pleb). I bought that when my hype was maxed and I was flush with an unexpected $15k payrise. It was not a characteristic purchase, but an extravagant treat for myself.

Smorgasbord my brother - this was my Opulent Coach.

But then I found the grey market. I could justify (barely) a $1000 ship, but the problem was, it wasn't worth $1000 anymore - it was selling for $2500. And so it begun. I bought and sold ship after ship, having a blast.. trading was why I was interested in SC, the auction house was always where you'd find me in D3, and poo poo, this was a REAL real money auction house. I bought a Javelin Destroyer for $2500, and sold it for $4000 the next day!

SC is great! Though I am moderately excited about the game, and I'm sure it will release - I really don't give a gently caress when. No ship sales after launch - supposedly - so that's the end of my gravy train.

And when it does, I have a couple ships in my pocket.. more than the $200 I told you (sorry bro but you shamed me). A $600 luxury yacht (my new, even more Opulent Coach), market value $800, and a $300 Scythe - market value $900, both which I can easily liquidate if things start looking grim.

My measure of confidence? I watch the grey markets $US to 'CIG store credit' exchange rate. When I start to see that slump, I am gone. At the moment RSI credit is worth more than my country's currency is, and stable.

Do not fear for me, my brother. My head is as screwed on as it ever was. I'm not spending money on SC. It's spending money on me.

Anyway, I came here to read this 'anti-SC thread' and learn some things. BUT THE THREAD IS 2500 PAGES LONG YOU ASSHOLES.

Welcome, I'm glad you're here. This thread really is for everyone, as long as you can laugh off the heat you will sometimes undergo. We are most dedicated to having fun here.

The grey market thing is absolutely bizarre to me but more power to you for gamifying the non-game part of a non-game. From my point of view, talking about "seed money" when discussing a video game is loving bonkers though.

But here's where you and I are gonna disagree: Your "nearly all" of features will be delivered. You will probably need to admit you're pulling that number from elbow deep out of your rear end. Based on the working, playable code that CIG has actually been capable of delivering, which is the only real estimate that can be used to measure capacity and feature velocity in software development, it will take them infinity years to deliver far less than 90% of their committed features.

Also, as an exercise, I was wondering if you actually know what the committed features are. I'm genuinely asking and not just trying to make you feel bad, I'd really like to know. I mean, Chris committed to procedurally generated birds on procedurally generated planets. Publicly.

Birds.

In closing, we always welcome new people, just remember important to laugh at yourself and others, and generally take things lightly. If someone comes at you hard, respond with jokes. If someone asks you a genuine question, just don't be a dick.

Toops fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 21, 2016

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Star Citizen is the first game in which I'm the space commando making GBS threads the pants that I am in.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

T-Minus posted:

Yeah so I'm T-Minus. The goonbrother. Thanks to the sponsorship of Haskell9, I'm a stupid newbie goon. First off, anyone who read that thread on the SC forum (in particular, my brother) should understand that I had to write that thread in a very specific manner, so as not to be destroyed by the hosts' autoimmune reaction. I knew it was going to get ugly but drat, you asked some good questions and I wanted answers. Regardless, as you can see, the results were chilling. The SC forums are a toxic place.

Secondly, you need not fear for me, I'm not a zealot. While I expect Star Citizen to release, with nearly all promised features, eventually; I'm not heavily vested in it - emotionally or financially - unlike some. While I said in the thread I'd spent $12k on the game (which is technically true), that's actually just the total that has passed through my account. The truth is, I'm one of the major grey marketeers, and every ship I've bought with that $12k I have sold for profit - In fact, my seed capital was only one $1000 ship (yep ONLY ONE $1000 digital potential future internet spaceship; what a pleb). I bought that when my hype was maxed and I was flush with an unexpected $15k payrise. It was not a characteristic purchase, but an extravagant treat for myself.

Smorgasbord my brother - this was my Opulent Coach.

But then I found the grey market. I could justify (barely) a $1000 ship, but the problem was, it wasn't worth $1000 anymore - it was selling for $2500. And so it begun. I bought and sold ship after ship, having a blast.. trading was why I was interested in SC, the auction house was always where you'd find me in D3, and poo poo, this was a REAL real money auction house. I bought a Javelin Destroyer for $2500, and sold it for $4000 the next day!

SC is great! Though I am moderately excited about the game, and I'm sure it will release - I really don't give a gently caress when. No ship sales after launch - supposedly - so that's the end of my gravy train.

And when it does, I have a couple ships in my pocket.. more than the $200 I told you (sorry bro but you shamed me). A $600 luxury yacht (my new, even more Opulent Coach), market value $800, and a $300 Scythe - market value $900, both which I can easily liquidate if things start looking grim.

My measure of confidence? I watch the grey markets $US to 'CIG store credit' exchange rate. When I start to see that slump, I am gone. At the moment RSI credit is worth more than my country's currency is, and stable.

Do not fear for me, my brother. My head is as screwed on as it ever was. I'm not spending money on SC. It's spending money on me.

Anyway, I came here to read this 'anti-SC thread' and learn some things. BUT THE THREAD IS 2500 PAGES LONG YOU ASSHOLES.

welcome. But the ship sales will continue after the release if it releases. As per Ben. Eh...er...ah think it may be after as well he ah well errr ah goh eot rrrrrr. He has alluded to it sever times now setting the stage for funding. And there is no way they let the golden goose die. Not CR. Just like LTI - you will never see it again! until no one buys ships without it then we bring it back.
SC is all about the money and roberts as a director in the movie SQ#42 - everything else doesnt count.

intardnation fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 21, 2016

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Tokamak posted:

New concept art.
Odds on this ever making it into the final game? I don't know why they give a poo poo about 'realism', when garbage like this exists. Floating platforms, breathable atmosphere on a gas giant, jfc... Shipyard in atmosphere, on a gas giant with no metal. Literally the most useless place for a shipyard :psyduck:

Crusader is a massive gas giant that has been terraformed so that the atmosphere is breathable.
The planet is used as a shipyard for constructing massive ships. Landing zones are reserved for visitors and families of Crusader Industries employees as well as commercial uses.

Terraforming a gas giants atmosphere might be the dumbest scifi thing I've ever read in my life.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Dusty Lens posted:

Star Citizen is the first game in which I'm the space commando making GBS threads the pants that I am in.

We need to ask Chris if there will be a sphincter control minigame.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

If you hide in a crate while being boarded by NPC pirates and you poo poo your spacepants, will they be able to find you more easily?

I need this.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Arent there highly detailed space-toilets to take a seat on in ships that dont exist yet?
No need to poo poo your pants, sitizen!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

Will our butts have realistically modelled crimping physics?

Ok, let me blow your mind... high-fidelity VR dingleberries.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Beet Wagon posted:

Found a leak of the new box art for Star Citizen:

Also, welcome T-Minus. Shitpost to your heart's content. You might get made fun of for believing, but everyone respects a good shitposter.

Newtonian physics at play in box art! It is as if CR farted into every box! ok maybe sharted is the right word.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

trucutru posted:

I am sat here throwing money at the screen, I have shat my pants but it is not appearing in game, what gives?

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Did you see Regis this morning?

FrankieGoes posted:

Terraforming a gas giants atmosphere might be the dumbest scifi thing I've ever read in my life.

Clearly you don't know anything about terraforming. Star Citizen's terraforming mechanics have real world applications and Chris Roberts is leading the way to a brighter future.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

trucutru posted:

I have always wanted to poo poo in VR - there goes Chris Roberts, making dreams come true again!

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Daztek posted:

The Q/A at the end is great, someone should transcribe it

Stop it Daz

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Natron posted:

If you hide in a crate while being boarded by NPC pirates and you poo poo your spacepants, will they be able to find you more easily?

I need this.

Would put a twist on griefing someone. Board B'Tak's ship and lay a giant steaming turd on his dashboard.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

FrankieGoes posted:

Yeah it ranks up there as a news van in space, or say garbage trucks in space, or a drink mixing in space, space, with space in it.

If you don't take a shower your accuracy is affected because the smell lines distort your scope!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The ability to poo poo your pants will at least allow B'tak to accurately roleplay every time he encounters another player.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Jason Sextro posted:

I have always wanted to poo poo in VR - there goes Chris Roberts, making dreams come true again!

remember to wear depends. Emeersion.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

I am sat here throwing money at the screen, I have shat my pants but it is not appearing in game, what gives?

perfect reproductions of your digital pants-making GBS threads require up to two weeks to be rendered in game. Simply wait in your chair with your pants full of poo poo until the patcher re-downloads the entire universe, and your poo poo will be rendered in unmatched fidelity.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

FrankieGoes posted:

To be fair, I could see us do this in a couple million years, when we're all AI-Gods and bored with our immortal lives. Of course in that far away future we wouldn't need breathable air anymore so the entire effort would be pointless. Also even after millions of years, when we finally develop the super-tech necessary to "terraform" an entire gas giant, technically only a thin layer of the atmosphere would be the right pressure for flesh and blood humans to live in. So even if there were still some real humans around who could profit from this collossal waste of resources, it would be a lot of work for not much gain.

Last time I checked, Star Citizen's story isn't set in the year 2000016 though

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

This is some really good poo poo.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Would put a twist on griefing someone. Board B'Tak's ship and lay a giant steaming turd on his dashboard.

People were setting it up leaving the toilet full as an anti boarding measure on the forums. I poo poo you not!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
stardew valley is the inverse of star citizen, by the way

rather than raising millions for the next great harvest moon game and then bloating the scope

1 man created an entire game (art, music, gameplay, everything) that was a better Harvest Moon game than Natsume ever thought of making

its the best game of this year, and probably will remain that way

he never took a single preorder, he never did early access, he just made a game, and then released it

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

intardnation posted:

People were setting it up leaving the toilet full as an anti boarding measure on the forums. I poo poo you not!

How would that possibly work? It's not even like the smell could bother my character as he's in an airtight spacesuit. Is the idea that pirates willing to rape and murder people will be put off by the sight of poop?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also are any of you other bad choice enthusiasts going to play Tree of Savior?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4bd14g/the_potential_for_a_tv_series_is_real/

Full House in space!

jesus christ people.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Eldragon posted:

I firmly believe CIG has no intention of having any kind of functioning player to player economy, so runaway inflation is moot. e.g. players can only buy/sell to NPCs. CIG will say this design change is to fight greifers, cheats, and bad people; and the carebears will applaud them for it because they never wanted to interact with other players anyway.

I've thought this for a long time, and it's basically the only way to make sense of some of their statements about how they imagine the economy working. Though, of course, they could (and probably will) revamp the entire plan multiple times.

I've tried to engage shitizens in a discussion about it multiple times and they have zero interest in talking about it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

FrankieGoes posted:

It's really loving cool looking though

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Well there has to be a job for the newsvan owners, damnit!

Oh and those guys who bought the herald information runners can run new episodes to every planet because in the far future information has to travel physically from place to place!

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Eonwe posted:

rather than raising millions for the next great harvest moon game and then bloating the scope

1 man created an entire game (art, music, gameplay, everything) that was a better Harvest Moon game than Natsume ever thought of making

he never took a single preorder, he never did early access, he just made a game, and then released it

Yeah, between Banished and stardew, other games are getting dusty. I guess I'm on a sim kick. But these are good games, so its ok.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Eonwe posted:

let's play multiplayer stardew valley when it is out and get married

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

I would intentionally poo poo in other boxes so that when the pirates started searching the smelly cargo they'd just realize I'm either someone who hates his customers, or that I have a weird fetish and quit looking. I've made a 180 on this whole bathroom thing, I think it's a great idea and will add a lot of depth to the boarding mechanics of Star Citizen.

Edit: Just realized I was taking about making GBS threads in multiple locations with someone named "Colostomy Bag".

Natron fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 21, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

FrankieGoes posted:

It's so many layers of stupidity it's stupefyingly stupendous.

First of all, there's absolutely no way to make it work with anything short of magic. Second, why the gently caress wouldn't you magic your way onto a planet that has more resources and requires less magic - like, say, literally any other imaginable planet? Third, if you got that sort of magic you don't need a loving gas giant, when you have artificial gravity you can just put an atmosphere around your actual space station in actual space.

The only way it would remotely make any sort of sense is that it's some bridge to nowhere-style use of United Earth funding that's earmarked towards terraforming efforts and the Crusader authority didn't have any non-gas giant planets in their system. Which is probably a much cooler explanation than anything they'll end up handwaving about.

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sunswipe posted:

How would that possibly work? It's not even like the smell could bother my character as he's in an airtight spacesuit. Is the idea that pirates willing to rape and murder people will be put off by the sight of poop?

it will negatively impact their "hygiene" mood bar, carrying a 2d6 penalty for future npc interactions

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Sunswipe posted:

No idea but they wanted to turn gravity off and have CIG build in a function for emergency evacuation (explosion). And to fly upside down as well if memory is still ok. To stop boarding along with not showering and no hygiene to make it as nasty as possible.
I think it would be awesome shovin poo poo down their own throat so they die.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
From PC Gamer Weekender - Star Citzen: Building a Galaxy
Mar 21, 2016 @ 38:19

Q: Why waste time coding for the transfer of momentum from bullets to ships? When you shot the ship it turned around...

A: Ah cool, yeah well I could, I could answer that or (turns away) I could let you answer it... so... when you're in a DOGFIGHT... it's par... particularly for em, STAR CITIZEN as a whole, it's SUPER IMPORTANT that we are modelling as much of the physical, you know the ACTUAL, eh, physical simulation as we can. Because at the end of the day we're a SPACE SIM, you know, it's REALLY REALLY IMPORTANT to us to deliver... something you've never seen before... like when you're flying these ships, it's not WORLD WAR TWO SPITFIRES flying through, you know... em... NO ATMOSPHERE... these are actual PHYSICAL IMPULSES that are occurring on the ship, and then the COOL thing about that is if I SHOOT YOUR WING OFF, you don't have those thrusters any more, and you're FEELING that difference in your ship... so... if... it... seems like a waste of time TRUST ME when you play the game it... it makes a HUGE difference because you can... FEEL what's happening to your ship, you can... sort of... you know it... CREATES EMERGENT SCENARIOS, that are... really the bread and butter of everything that we watch on YOUTUBE and TWITCH right now where people enjoying the game... these are all DYNAMIC EMERGENT SCENARIOS... that are made possible because of the level of simulation that we're taking it to.

Is that...? Cool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Natron posted:

Edit: Just realized I was taking about making GBS threads in multiple locations with someone named "Colostomy Bag".

True. I could board, unclip my bag, hook it up to the Mixmaster 9000 and be out the door before they knew I was in there.

• Locked thread