Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Just bought a 2795qhd from green-sum, fingers crossed it looks good. Worst case I'll just use it as my secondary monitor next to my 144hz 1080p. Although that will probably look weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Trisk posted:

Just bought a 2795qhd from green-sum, fingers crossed it looks good. Worst case I'll just use it as my secondary monitor next to my 144hz 1080p. Although that will probably look weird.

I bought one a week ago with no dead pixels and runs great at 96 and 110hz. It's sitting next to my old 1080p 60 hz monitor that I generally use only for Internet browsing while playing games. The only downside was removing the glass stem stand was a pain.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Zorilla posted:

16:9 stops being an issue at 1440p. It's not about aspect ratio and really more about the fact 1080p is so cramped and you need at least 1200 pixels vertically to get real work done.

I disagree. At 2160p or more, yes, sure. But until 1600p, not at all.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Really tempted to step up to a 60+ refresh rate hz monitor. I was thinking about buying that korean monitor that overclocks to 96hz for $300. I already have a Dell U2715H at 1440p, is there a big upgrade going from 60hz to 96hz? The U2715H is pretty clear as it is but the refresh rate isn't as smooth as my friends 1080p 144hz TN monitor

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
I went from a Dell 27" 60Hz to that current Korean flavour of the month and it was a revelation for me. I sure as hell noticed the jump from 60Hz to 96Hz - and so does every title that can sustain that framerate - and I enjoy the improved smoothness of the desktop for long coding sessions. I didn't really notice as much of a 'wow' from 96Hz to 110Hz, and in my brief foray to 120Hz (which in all honesty it doesn't do well) I didn't notice much at all. Other than 'what the hell is all this crap on my screen oh god im not good with comput'

That said this is a highly subjective thing - massively so - and I have old knackered eyes. I have the distinct feeling a 144Hz turbo ubergaming monitor would be thoroughly wasted on me, so take my impression with a large pinch of salt.

What I do know is:

- I love 96Hz for everything.
- The picture is great, the panel is great (I don't know if this is luck or not, but general impressions are positive).
- The stand is absolute loving garbage and if you ever have need to adjust your stand for heavens' sake get rid of it and get an arm.
- I'm finding brightness controls without having to navigate through multiple menus to be super handy to adjust to ambient light, so couldn't give a toss that this is the only function it has.
- If this thing ever breaks I'm screwed for getting it fixed, so I'll get whatever the new one is.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Asus set up an exchange program for pg279q's with backlight bleed.

http://techreport.com/news/29874/asus-offers-an-exchange-program-for-some-pg279q-displays

Also announced official PG348Q release date.

http://techreport.com/news/29872/asus-releases-its-rog-swift-pg348q-in-north-america

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

It says it will be released in may, but one of the Powered by Asus vendors let's you purchase the monitor outright for $1300. NCIX will let you buy it for $1999 US or CAD.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Dunno if this is the right spot to ask but I figure it's worth a shot. I'm looking for something in the 27"-32" range, preferably under $400 dollars. I'm not a pc player so trying to do research on this has been problematic to say the least. I primarily play shooters and rpgs on ps4 and wiiu so was looking for a monitor to replace this poo poo crosley tv I bought. Any recommendations or brands I should check out?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Fibby Boy posted:

Dunno if this is the right spot to ask but I figure it's worth a shot. I'm looking for something in the 27"-32" range, preferably under $400 dollars. I'm not a pc player so trying to do research on this has been problematic to say the least. I primarily play shooters and rpgs on ps4 and wiiu so was looking for a monitor to replace this poo poo crosley tv I bought. Any recommendations or brands I should check out?

Are you just looking for something to hook consoles up to or do you also plan to plug a computer into it?

If you're just looking for something for console use then a 1080p TV would probably be your best bet, you can get a 32" VIZIO for $230.

If you want something to also hook a computer up to then this Dell is a good choice.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Krailor posted:

Are you just looking for something to hook consoles up to or do you also plan to plug a computer into it?

If you're just looking for something for console use then a 1080p TV would probably be your best bet, you can get a 32" VIZIO for $230.

If you want something to also hook a computer up to then this Dell is a good choice.

Oh yeah forgot to mention that stuff. Apologies.

I don't a pc now but I figure down the line, like in a couple years of so, I could build a decent pc and hook that up to it. That dell does look nice but I can't figure out how many hdmi ports it has on it. Looking for something with at least two if you'd know of any.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Fibby Boy posted:

Oh yeah forgot to mention that stuff. Apologies.

I don't a pc now but I figure down the line, like in a couple years of so, I could build a decent pc and hook that up to it. That dell does look nice but I can't figure out how many hdmi ports it has on it. Looking for something with at least two if you'd know of any.

One HDMI and one VGA. Fwiw I'd probably get the Vizio for the next few years.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Anyone used the QX2414, and any comments?

e: Can you run 3D on it?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 19, 2016

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I was wondering if it's possible to find the following for less than $600:

*IPS
*1440p
*Refresh rate over 60hz
*Optionally, but would like it: Gsync

Seems like my only options are $750 TN panels or $1,000+ IPS panels, I was hoping there may be some alternatives that Newegg doesn't have or that I'm missing.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Swartz posted:

*IPS
*1440p
*Refresh rate over 60hz

Seems like my only options are $750 TN panels or $1,000+ IPS panels, I was hoping there may be some alternatives that Newegg doesn't have or that I'm missing.

Crossover 2795QHD.

+ IPS
+ 1440p
+ Overclockable Refresh rate up to 96Hz
+ ~$300
- No gsync
- lovely stand
+ VESA compatible mounts

Your other options to keep it under $600 would be getting a refurbished XB270HU or ASUS equivalent. And a regular XB270HU goes for ~$775, so not sure where you'd getting $1k from.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
One of those Korean monitors? No thanks.

Guess I'll be sticking to 1080p 60hz longer than I thought as I can't bring myself to go back to a TN display. Maybe the prices will drop once those 10-bit color monitors supposedly go mainstream this year.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Swartz posted:

*IPS
*1440p
*Refresh rate over 60hz

Refurb XB270HU or watch for a killer sale on the same.

Or, you could watch the Dell Outlet for a Dell S2716DG. It's TN but it's a very nice TN.

Or, get a 24" 1080p panel. You can get a GN246HL or QX2414 for like $140-170, but you're giving up both 1440p and IPS there. The QX2414 can go even faster than 144hz, reportedly, like 170+ (but I don't own one).

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Swartz posted:

One of those Korean monitors? No thanks.

Guess I'll be sticking to 1080p 60hz longer than I thought as I can't bring myself to go back to a TN display. Maybe the prices will drop once those 10-bit color monitors supposedly go mainstream this year.
Other than the stands being poo poo (which is easy to fix) the Korean monitors are loving fantastic, and if you're already pushing 100+FPS a lot of the benefit of GSync is lost to begin with.

10b will be (as it has been) rather expensive. Don't expect it to have much of an impact on the 60+Hz market, because they'll either be independent (60Hz + 10b or 144Hz + 8b but not both), or they'll be silly expensive for awhile. Your real hope is that someone other than AO figures out how to make the damned panels so there can be some actual competition. Until then though...

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
Anybody have any experience running the Dell U3415W above the standard 60hz? I'm just curious because it seems like it got to 80hz pretty easily and with all the talk of 96hz+ for gaming I looked into it myself.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ILikeVoltron posted:

Anybody have any experience running the Dell U3415W above the standard 60hz? I'm just curious because it seems like it got to 80hz pretty easily and with all the talk of 96hz+ for gaming I looked into it myself.

Some monitors with multiple inputs will accept higher refresh rates, but just drop any frames above 60.

Use the tests at testufo.com to see if it's doing this.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
My computer is fairly close to my television and I'm constantly having to swap HDMI cables on the GPU. I'd like to get a splitter of some sort so I can just press a button to switch between displays, but I can only find pigtail splitters that would output the video to both displays at the same time. I just need to display audio/video to one device at a time, since the TV isn't being used as an extended desktop. I'm also trying to minimize any latency (bought the Sony KDL55W950B specifically for its low latency for an HDTV) and I'm afraid adding something like that might be counter-intuitive. Any suggestions?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bloodplay it again posted:

My computer is fairly close to my television and I'm constantly having to swap HDMI cables on the GPU. I'd like to get a splitter of some sort so I can just press a button to switch between displays, but I can only find pigtail splitters that would output the video to both displays at the same time. I just need to display audio/video to one device at a time, since the TV isn't being used as an extended desktop. I'm also trying to minimize any latency (bought the Sony KDL55W950B specifically for its low latency for an HDTV) and I'm afraid adding something like that might be counter-intuitive. Any suggestions?

You're looking for an HDMI switch. A lot of them only go from multiple inputs to a single output so you want a bidirectional one like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Direct-Ibis-Bi-Directional-Passthrough/dp/B00629NHW6/

I honestly have no idea about any extra latency but I doubt there'd be much if any.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Rexxed posted:

You're looking for an HDMI switch. A lot of them only go from multiple inputs to a single output so you want a bidirectional one like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Direct-Ibis-Bi-Directional-Passthrough/dp/B00629NHW6/

I honestly have no idea about any extra latency but I doubt there'd be much if any.

Perfect. Thank you. I had trouble finding one like that--most of them were made for displays with one input in mind. I came across one on Monoprice sometime last year but lost track of it and couldn't remember bidirectional. :)

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

EoRaptor posted:

Some monitors with multiple inputs will accept higher refresh rates, but just drop any frames above 60.

Use the tests at testufo.com to see if it's doing this.

I read about that, but I don't have a camera that I can test with. Seems like it would be pretty hard to just watch this and figure it out.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Perfect. Thank you. I had trouble finding one like that--most of them were made for displays with one input in mind. I came across one on Monoprice sometime last year but lost track of it and couldn't remember bidirectional. :)

You can also go a step further and look into a HDMI Matrix, which is effectively the next step from that. Decent ones can get a little pricey but I can't tell if they add any lag to the chain. I had a Gefen Toolbox that I got for free from a client that I used for a long time. Looks like they are running for around $150 on Ebay now.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

ILikeVoltron posted:

I read about that, but I don't have a camera that I can test with. Seems like it would be pretty hard to just watch this and figure it out.

I've found the automatic detection from testufo to be accurate without using a camera. I was able to visually see my multi-input monitor skipping frames when I thought I had it at 120hz but it was really at 60.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

taqueso posted:

I've found the automatic detection from testufo to be accurate without using a camera. I was able to visually see my multi-input monitor skipping frames when I thought I had it at 120hz but it was really at 60.

Seems to confirm 80hz / 80 fps when set to sync at 80hz. Games also seem to launch at either 60 or 80 and can be either manually set to either.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

What resolution is your monitor? If it's 1080p (and so is your TV), why not just use two ports and display mirroring?

Edit: oops, on mobile and the Awful app didn't refresh the thread when I reopened it hours later, even though I forced it to. Beaten with a better answer than mine.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 21, 2016

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

ILikeVoltron posted:

Seems to confirm 80hz / 80 fps when set to sync at 80hz. Games also seem to launch at either 60 or 80 and can be either manually set to either.

You aren't getting >60hz on the U3415W.
You don't need a special camera to test it, just go to this ufotest and fullscreen it, it will be apparant the monitors scalar drops frames over 60hz as you will easily see cells get skipped.
http://www.testufo.com/#test=frameskipping&horiz=50&vert=20

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 21, 2016

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Dunno if this is the place to ask but since this is a monitor thread, I'll give it a shot.

A 1600x900 LCD monitor I've had for a little over 3 years--and is currently a secondary monitor--has been doing a weird thing where: every time I shake the monitors awake from idle sleep, it won't turn on right away. It'll stay blinking and make a weird, faint *click* sound like a switch going on and off, for about 30 seconds. During that time, pressing the power button for the monitor doesn't do anything.

What I've read is that either the monitor is dying or I have a GPU issue. My GPU is a pretty recently purchased GTX970 that hasn't been giving me issues, and while this is happening, my system is still recognizing that monitor is plugged in and (seemingly) functional.

When it finally kicks in, I can turn it off and on and it'll click on right away.

So before I impulsively buy a new monitor to replace this thing, can anyone tell me what's up?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Morter posted:

Dunno if this is the place to ask but since this is a monitor thread, I'll give it a shot.

A 1600x900 LCD monitor I've had for a little over 3 years--and is currently a secondary monitor--has been doing a weird thing where: every time I shake the monitors awake from idle sleep, it won't turn on right away. It'll stay blinking and make a weird, faint *click* sound like a switch going on and off, for about 30 seconds. During that time, pressing the power button for the monitor doesn't do anything.

What I've read is that either the monitor is dying or I have a GPU issue. My GPU is a pretty recently purchased GTX970 that hasn't been giving me issues, and while this is happening, my system is still recognizing that monitor is plugged in and (seemingly) functional.

When it finally kicks in, I can turn it off and on and it'll click on right away.

So before I impulsively buy a new monitor to replace this thing, can anyone tell me what's up?

A properly implemented monitor will send EDID information to the computer, even when it's not even plugged into power.

Does your computer have integrated graphics you can try out? If you can reproduce the issue on integrated graphics, that would rule out your GTX 970.

If you can rule it out, I suspect the power supply board on the monitor could have failing capacitors or MOSFETs based on the way it's failing to turn on and not responding to inputs, but that usually doesn't cause bad behavior 100% of the time since temperature and current draw are factors. If you are able to reliably reproduce the issue in a way that manifests exactly the same way each time by running through the same sequence of events, it could be something wrong with the signal board instead.

What is your monitor's model number? If it has known issues leading to failure, you can sometimes find "repair kits" online on sites like eBay that contain capacitors (and sometimes other components) to replace the ones that commonly fail on those boards.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 21, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ok so I have this laptop and this Monoprice WQHD 2560x1440

I wasted way too much time trying to get it to output 2560 via HDMI only to find out the monitor only will via DP or DVI according to this review.

What cable/adapter/converter do I need to get this thing to output 2560 if the laptop only has HDMI out?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Ok so I have this laptop and this Monoprice WQHD 2560x1440

I wasted way too much time trying to get it to output 2560 via HDMI only to find out the monitor only will via DP or DVI according to this review.

What cable/adapter/converter do I need to get this thing to output 2560 if the laptop only has HDMI out?

For that particular laptop, you might be able to pull it off with a USB 3.0 port replicator compatible with that model. Your only other option is getting a laptop with DisplayPort.

It looks like they normally go for $150, but here's a used one for $40: http://www.ebay.com/itm/272177863418

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 21, 2016

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

rage-saq posted:

You aren't getting >60hz on the U3415W.
You don't need a special camera to test it, just go to this ufotest and fullscreen it, it will be apparant the monitors scalar drops frames over 60hz as you will easily see cells get skipped.
http://www.testufo.com/#test=frameskipping&horiz=50&vert=20

Can I overclock my U2415 from 60 Hz up to like say 72 Hz? Why would I want to and/or is there any reason I shouldn't?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Zorilla posted:

For that particular laptop, you might be able to pull it off with a USB 3.0 port replicator compatible with that model. Your only other option is getting a laptop with DisplayPort.

It looks like they normally go for $150, but here's a used one for $40: http://www.ebay.com/itm/272177863418

Yikes. Thanks for the response. Didn't realize it was such a hassle. This is for a family member as I'm playing tech support. Seems like such a waste to use that monitor and not utilize the 2560 resolution, ugh. I'll look into the port replicator

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can I overclock my U2415 from 60 Hz up to like say 72 Hz? Why would I want to and/or is there any reason I shouldn't?

You can't. Monitors that can overclock can do so because they don't have a scalar. But without a scalar you can't have multiple inputs, most monitors do have multiple inputs including the U2415.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I use my computer and monitor for gaming, browsing, and watching stuff, but my monitor is a hand-me-down low quality TN with atrocious viewing angle. Plus it seems the backlight is bleeding through the edges of the screen, washing out dark colors even when looking straight on. I don't have much money to spend, so is there an IPS or VA monitor around 22-24", LED, and 1080p for under $250-300? I'm fine with refurbished or knock offs if they are worth it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I use my computer and monitor for gaming, browsing, and watching stuff, but my monitor is a hand-me-down low quality TN with atrocious viewing angle. Plus it seems the backlight is bleeding through the edges of the screen, washing out dark colors even when looking straight on. I don't have much money to spend, so is there an IPS or VA monitor around 22-24", LED, and 1080p for under $250-300? I'm fine with refurbished or knock offs if they are worth it.

There's tons of choice at that price and size. I've got one of the S series Dell monitors I like a lot (but it's only the 21.5" one):
http://www.amazon.com/s/url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ips+24+inch+monitor&sprefix=ips+24%2Caps%2C132

The more expensive models like the Dell Ultrasharps are still under your price range:
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-U2414H-24-Inch-Monitor/dp/B00GTV05XG/

edit: when I linked it, that ultrasharp was $229, prices obviously fluctuate.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 21, 2016

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Boris Galerkin posted:

As AVeryLargeRadish noted, you really can't. Even if you get the monitor to accept a >60Hz signal (and a bunch of them will), it won't actually help--it'll simply (and silently) drop frames on you, which often ends up actually worse than normal 60Hz, since now you're randomly missing a frame that the GPU is pushing out, resulting in slight jutter that otherwise would be absent. It won't hurt your monitor or anything, but it's a pointless exercise.

The only monitors that can overclock at the moment are those that are either specifically noted as doing so/marketed as >60Hz (eg, the X34), or the Korean 1440p panels due to the lack of a scaler and some other interesting part choices that make it possible. Anything you get from Dell, HP, etc., will be incapable of overclocking.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Rexxed posted:

There's tons of choice at that price and size. I've got one of the S series Dell monitors I like a lot (but it's only the 21.5" one):
http://www.amazon.com/s/url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ips+24+inch+monitor&sprefix=ips+24%2Caps%2C132

The more expensive models like the Dell Ultrasharps are still under your price range:
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-U2414H-24-Inch-Monitor/dp/B00GTV05XG/

edit: when I linked it, that ultrasharp was $229, prices obviously fluctuate.

Thanks for the response! How does this ASUS model look? I am a shameless cheapskate so spending half my planned budget on what looks like a pretty good monitor sounds like a deal to me, and the reviews look pretty solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
Does anyone have experience with both the Dell 2312hm and 2515h for gaming? I'm thinking of adding the latter as an all-purpose 1440p screen (don't want anything larger like a 27") and just want some idea of how colors and response time compare especially for FPS games.