Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I didn''t like her either but the vitriolic backlash against her was so disproportionate to how bad she actually was that it kind of made me wrap around to liking her some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Davincie posted:

she's the worst

She's real bad and honesly didn't add anything to the game for me because I didn't like her dungeon either.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

marie is cool

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i dont think i have the patience for p4

im not in highschool i dont have 100 hours for rpg

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
mareef blower

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

Quit your job

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the last few months go by in a few minutes, saves a lot of time

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also this is a while back but it's kind of weird to go 'japan has homophobic and transphobic laws, therefore every single thing produced there is homophobic and transphobic'

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I think what rubs people the wrong way with regards to Kanji in P4 isn't that Kanji most likely isn't gay (but instead is insecure about his masculinity). It's the way the game presents it. It's less "he's into stuff that's not traditionally masculine and that's OK" and more "OK, he's a bit of a weirdo but at least he's not GAY! Could you imagine? Whew thank goodness he's not!". It's not just Yosuke, literally every scene that brings it up is all "haha he might be gay how absurd that would be! Better watch out guys!".

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i think im gonna play through the escha side of atelier instead of more grinding my stupid personas

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

i think im gonna play through the escha side of atelier instead of more grinding my stupid personas

good

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
At least the Marie poetry is on point.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Marie is good BECAUSE she is so bad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Renoistic posted:

I think what rubs people the wrong way with regards to Kanji in P4 isn't that Kanji most likely isn't gay (but instead is insecure about his masculinity). It's the way the game presents it. It's less "he's into stuff that's not traditionally masculine and that's OK" and more "OK, he's a bit of a weirdo but at least he's not GAY! Could you imagine? Whew thank goodness he's not!". It's not just Yosuke, literally every scene that brings it up is all "haha he might be gay how absurd that would be! Better watch out guys!".
it kind of is just yosuke and the whole thing gets dropped completely once yosuke drops it completely

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph posted:

it kind of is just yosuke and the whole thing gets dropped completely once yosuke drops it completely

And Yosuke's attitude towards the whole thing is grossly overstated by people as well; there's like one out and out homophobic remark when you guys share a tent together, and then outside of an occasional jab here and there Yosuke doesn't have much to say on the matter; and it's not like Yosuke doesn't constantly say stupid poo poo to every other party member too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yosuke is that dumb guy a lot of people hung out with who says a lot of lovely things without thinking about it and he either grows up and becomes a chill dude or you see him 10 years later on Facebook posting about his Gamestop job and how he's voting for Trump

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

also they realized no one would want to date yosuke

yosuke is my brosuke and i would take him on dates to the costume shop

Renoistic posted:

admittedly it's been a while but i don't think this is true

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Endorph posted:

also this is a while back but it's kind of weird to go 'japan has homophobic and transphobic laws, therefore every single thing produced there is homophobic and transphobic'

There's a lot of that. It's something I've noticed on several forums I post on. People just kind of assume because one ortwo games or anime are weird, it automatically means every single Japanese person is hosed up. Then again, people on the Internet love to seize upon worthless stuff in a piece of fiction and claim it says something about the writer.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

yosuke also has hots for mc and doesn't know how to deal with it

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

While I don't fault you for it as P4 is a heavy investment, I never once did any grinding in P4. Beyond the first two dungeons maybe, you can definitely do every dungeon in a single go and spend the rest of your time getting chummy with your friends. Just make sure to max out the fox s.link as fast as you can, and you'll have effectively infinite MP.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Looper posted:

admittedly it's been a while but i don't think this is true
It pretty much is actually. I realize I started this conversation with dumb wording about it (I do understand that Kanji's arc was not about him being gay but about him being scared that his feminine hobbies meant he was gay), but the game is pretty explicit about the characters (not just Yosuke) finding Kanji's dungeon distasteful and weird, to the point where they're all "ugh I don't like this, can we get out of here please?" Even the player avatar shudders at one point.

P4 isn't super homophobic or anything, but it definitely felt like a slap to the face, playing it as a gay teenager who was into things like sewing and knitting and having the ending resolution be "oh whoops he's not gay, he's just confused, PHEW dodged a bullet there!" It may very well just have struck the wrong chord with me personally, having the resolution to Kanji's story be "lol well at least he's not you" kind of soured me to it. :shobon:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

It pretty much is actually. I realize I started this conversation with dumb wording about it (I do understand that Kanji's arc was not about him being gay but about him being scared that his feminine hobbies meant he was gay), but the game is pretty explicit about the characters (not just Yosuke) finding Kanji's dungeon distasteful and weird, to the point where they're all "ugh I don't like this, can we get out of here please?" Even the player avatar shudders at one point.

P4 isn't super homophobic or anything, but it definitely felt like a slap to the face, playing it as a gay teenager who was into things like sewing and knitting and having the ending resolution be "oh whoops he's not gay, he's just confused, PHEW dodged a bullet there!" It may very well just have struck the wrong chord with me personally, having the resolution to Kanji's story be "lol well at least he's not you" kind of soured me to it. :shobon:

y'know if I was in a steamy bath house full of creepy muscular monsters and a hyper aggressive man in a loincloth was announced innuendos over a loudspeaker, I'd think it distasteful and gross too

otherwise all the rest of this post is you projecting heavily onto a video game which failed to validate your experience in a way you wanted. Kanji's character arc isn't about what you want it to be about, sorry.

You should learn a lesson from Kanji and conclude that your girly or gay habits and quirks are just a part of what makes you you and if anybody doesn't like that they can get bent.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

8-Bit Scholar posted:

y'know if I was in a steamy bath house full of creepy muscular monsters and a hyper aggressive man in a loincloth was announced innuendos over a loudspeaker, I'd think it distasteful and gross too

otherwise all the rest of this post is you projecting heavily onto a video game which failed to validate your experience in a way you wanted. Kanji's character arc isn't about what you want it to be about, sorry.

You should learn a lesson from Kanji and conclude that your girly or gay habits and quirks are just a part of what makes you you and if anybody doesn't like that they can get bent.

Sounds like Panic! was just talking about how the game made him feel, which is totally ok of him and ok to talk about and going "SORRY THE GAME ISN'T WHAT YOU WANTED IT TO BE ABOUT" sounds kinda dickish.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

That's kind of a crappy response to what he posted, especially because it's pretty silly to pretend like the response to Kanji's bathhouse isn't fairly particular and based off a kinda lovely homophobic joke and not just because it was scary monsters.

Like P4 is a good game and I actually think Kanji's plot is well-handled for what it is but I don't think anyone, especially a teenager who already has enough issues, is obligated to go "Oh, you're turning my sexuality into a punchline about how creepy it is, great."

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I wonder what other dungeon would have been better there? I am not a huge fan of the P4 character themed dungeons outside of the lab and video game.

And I guess the video game wasn't actually a character dungeon come to think of it. Well I guess it is for the non-party member. I don't remember that arc very well.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

That's kind of a crappy response to what he posted, especially because it's pretty silly to pretend like the response to Kanji's bathhouse isn't fairly particular and based off a kinda lovely homophobic joke and not just because it was scary monsters.

Like P4 is a good game and I actually think Kanji's plot is well-handled for what it is but I don't think anyone, especially a teenager who already has enough issues, is obligated to go "Oh, you're turning my sexuality into a punchline about how creepy it is, great."

I don't really think it's accurate to say that the bath house is reducing anyone's sexuality to a punch line? It's certainly based on stereotypes in Japan; if an American developers was doing it, I suspect the night club would have been the "gay" dungeon rather than a bath house, but the context of the scenario IS creepy, just like how Yukiko talking about "scoring hot studs" is and was creepy. It's unsettling to be there, that's the point.

bloodychill posted:

Sounds like Panic! was just talking about how the game made him feel, which is totally ok of him and ok to talk about and going "SORRY THE GAME ISN'T WHAT YOU WANTED IT TO BE ABOUT" sounds kinda dickish.

Well if you're going to say that you're disappointed the game didn't live up to your expectations, then it's also totally okay to say if those expectations do not appear realistic. I see this critique come up time and time again and it's always a matter that somebody wanted the story to do or say something that the story wasn't interested in saying. Just because you felt a certain way doesn't make it fair to say that the game is homophobic; Kanji doesn't conclude one way or another what his sexuality is by the game's end as far as I know, but to say that it's a disappointment that he might turn out to be heterosexual seems kind of insulting too. As a heterosexual male who has not always embodied "masculine" traits that my culture lionizes, I was pleasantly surprised by Kanji's turmoil and found it refereshingly relatable. For the same reasons Panic was disappointed with the character, I was pleased.

People wanted Kanji to become some sort of gay icon character or Naoto to become some trans one and whenever criticisms of the story are brought up, it's always people bemoaning the fact that these characters weren't those things. I think that's a little insulting to the authors of the story, who clearly had specific and likely very personal stories to tell as well.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

it is weird that escha has a tail

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

it is weird that escha has a tail

I think someone on this forum said it best when he described it as an elaborate mood ring. I like how no one except for Logy ever comments on it.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It's an accessory. I'm not saying it makes sense, but she's weird and it's her hometown so I just assume everyone's used to it like how they're used to the immortal robot lady who lives at the orchard.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Also Logix Ficsario is a dumb name

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Escha offers to make Logy a tail too and you can even get a costume where he has one. Equal opportunity tail.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think they talk about the tail in the anime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

I think they talk about the tail in the anime.

They do in the game too. Her mother made it with alchemy and Escha wears it as a memento thing and also because she likes it, but considering Escha is a magical prodigy raised by a robot and almost singlehandedly responsible for the town not dying I assume nobody gives her poo poo about it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Logy shows up in Sophie I think but not as a playable guy sadly

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is completely unrelated to anything but was Ayla's tail fake in Chrono Trigger? Someone told me it was and I just don't know how you are supposed to tell. CT has shaky ideas of evolution regardless but I figured she was some sort of Missing Link stand-in.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NikkolasKing posted:

This is completely unrelated to anything but was Ayla's tail fake in Chrono Trigger? Someone told me it was and I just don't know how you are supposed to tell. CT has shaky ideas of evolution regardless but I figured she was some sort of Missing Link stand-in.

It's fake, she's wearing the fur of some big cat. She's just so bad rear end she can spin it fast enough to make tornados because are you going to tell her she can't!?

Ayla's my fav.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

:swoon:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the homunculus funeral in ayesha made me laugh

why was keith ok with the blacksmith in shallie though you'd think he'd be pissed at her for doing that with alchemy

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

She doesn't even use a club why does every piece of art have her with a club