Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

counterfeitsaint posted:

Both Spiderman and Johnny Blaze want you to stop being outraged on their behalf if you would.

Emphasis on Spiderman, not Peter Parker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tom Gorman posted:

Batman gets shoved into lockers and pantsed in gym class for 2 hours 49 minutes.

Be careful what you wish for

http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Gotham_High

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think DC modified this concept to make tie-in cartoon shorts for their line of female superhero toys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT74992z9hk

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The MSJ posted:

I think this BvS spot is new. Stay tuned for the new scene at the very end, hahaha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQQQ-LMF-tY

Why do I laugh every time I see Batman get punked by Superman?

I love Wonder Woman's theme

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/ArchieComics/status/711559096361734144

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bob Quixote posted:

So if you put out a fire that would have consumed a building and killed everyone inside you are somehow saving fewer lives than the one or two guys in the building who managed to keep their heads and usher a few people in their area out the fire doors?

Are you literally saving less lives? No. Does the guy getting people out have more of a dramatic impact? Yeah, that's why in most firefighting stories we follow the dude who runs into the burning building looking for people instead of the crew pumping water.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

lol at Archie in a gorillaz tee

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

hahaha hell yeah I love ARchie

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
How come nobody ever complains about how hosed up it is that Scarlet Witch uses mind control to make people abandon their dinner and evacuate

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

How come nobody ever complains about how hosed up it is that Scarlet Witch uses mind control to make people abandon their dinner and evacuate

I've read complaints about this. You just haven't seen them.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
IMHO it's p hosed up when Spiderman swoops down and picks up a man who is about to be crushed by falling debris. He is depriving that man of his free will to be where he wants, plus what if the man is very scared of heigjts

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Sir Kodiak posted:

I've read complaints about this. You just haven't seen them.

To be fair, my eyes usually glaze over every time people bring up Age of Ultron

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ALFbrot posted:

a superhero story about someone with the power of mind control but who is also a moral enough person to have serious qualms about ever using it would be cool and good

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Preacher kind of does that. Bits of it, at least. The bits where Ennis actually picks consistent characterization over edgy stuff, so not a lot of bits if I'm honest. Maybe we'll get more of it in the show?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

a superhero story about someone with the power of mind control but who is also a moral enough person to have serious qualms about ever using it would be cool and good

Isn't that basically (modern) Professor X's whole deal, though the other part of that deal is that he's typically (for an imperfect human) hypocritical about it when the chips are down? To be honest the "don't use your mind control powers on anyone who doesn't consent" is pretty much the default position for any powerful telepath in modern comics, and it's also usually not particularly interesting because choosing to do so is depicted as a fully deliberate choice they typically make in circumstances where putting a bullet in the brain of the person they're mind-controlling would be a morally justifiable course of action for anyone without super-powers.

Imo, it would be way more interesting to see something like an in-depth examination of what a highly moral version of the Purple Man would be like- in that case your powers seems like a legitimate curse, because reflexively exuding a zone of mind control in which everyone tries to please you and does everything that you ask would mean that you'd likely need to take extreme measures to avoid unduly influencing anyone, and you'd never be sure how genuine any of your interactions were (Jessica Jones obviously touched on this a little, but Killgrave was a monster and his self-pitying justifications were not meant to be taken at face value)

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 21, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

LGD posted:

Imo, it would be way more interesting to see something like an in-depth examination of what a highly moral version of the Purple Man would be like- in that case your powers seems like a legitimate curse, because reflexively exuding a zone of mind control in which everyone tries to please you and does everything that you ask would mean that you'd likely need to take extreme measures to avoid unduly influencing anyone, and you'd never be sure how genuine any of your interactions were (Jessica Jones obviously touched on this a little, but Killgrave was a monster and his self-pitying justifications were not meant to be taken at face value)

Yeah, this is what I was thinking of. Kilgrave is both not actually interested in reform and thematically his power is a metaphor for an abusive relationship, so it wouldn't have made sense to follow through on the "what if he could be a better person?" stuff in that context, but the semi-involuntary nature of it would be one way to force the issue.

I don't actually read comics apart from a friend lending me a disorganized pile of old X-Men stuff in high school plus dabbling in stuff like The Invisibles or Sandman here and there, so it's entirely possible this has been done and done many times. I would have no idea.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 21, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

My Lovely Horse posted:

Preacher kind of does that. Bits of it, at least. The bits where Ennis actually picks consistent characterization over edgy stuff, so not a lot of bits if I'm honest. Maybe we'll get more of it in the show?

That's... actually most of the bits, though. The stuff like Herr Starr's head-scar making him look like a giant penis, Odin Quincannon's meat woman (tagging because we already know he's showing up in the show), and Jesus de Sade's existence is just more memorable.

I re-read it a while ago and I was actually kind of amused by how the arcs seem to follow a pattern of incredibly serious buildup to a goofy-as-gently caress climax.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LGD posted:

Honestly? The only things that jump to mind are hermitage or joining a monastery with a vow of silence.

Or, I suppose, just writing/typing everything you want to say.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Honestly? The only things that jump to mind are hermitage or joining a monastery with a vow of silence.

Or, I suppose, just writing/typing everything you want to say.

Yeah, those are the practical solutions and would probably be the character's default state, but they don't necessarily make for the drama. Unless you want to go really deep into how various people choose to sublimate things like desire for wealth/fame/sex/love I guess, which might be interesting but isn't typical comic book fare (not least because the most obvious modern real-world parallel to such a character would be a priest struggling with being pedophile [no one you're attracted to can meaningfully consent], though you could make a more palatable character by modeling them on a king/emperor/feudal lord who has deliberately given up their temporal power and its moral compromises to live purely). To be honest I'm not sure how interesting this hypothetical series would actually end up being, because if the Purple Man's powers in Jessica Jones were a metaphor for the coercive effects of an abusive relationship, in this version (if it's one where the mind controller interacts with people, and it'd almost have to be to be interesting) they'd almost certainly be a metaphor for fame/political power/money and the personal havoc that they can wreak even with the best of intentions. But that's a story that has been done a lot, and does anyone really have new/interesting things to say about the consequences of celebrity?

(Though there are other themes you can emphasize with it obviously, since such a character would obviously face temptation to right wrongs by just dictating new political/judicial outcomes to the appropriate people [which they might be wrong about and/or can be used as a metaphor for the wealthy covertly subverting democratic politics to achieve idiosyncratic goals]. The story is either going to be about power being misused/having been misused in the past, or how and why someone with the power to trivially change the world chooses never to do so [and why that is good/bad]. Which have both been done to death, but really what story hasn't?)

LGD fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 22, 2016

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Pictures from the new Batman movie.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 22, 2016

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Is that Lego Batman the Movie or Lego Movie Batman the Movie?

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

broken clock opsec posted:

Lego Movie Batman. tbh, i'm kinda more excited to see this one more than batman vs. superman

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

broken clock opsec posted:

Either way, it's unmitigated trash.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wyoming posted:

Either way, it's unmitigated trash.

You mean tons of loving fun.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Lego Movie was dope, haters go step on a brick

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Lego movie mediocre, Lego Batman movie... I do not care

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
making an entire movie about Lego Batman seems like the definition of :regd08:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

HorseRenoir posted:

in what way?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The best superhero movie with telepaths is Scanners.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

The whole lego thing has created several movies and like a billion games out of a dumb gimmick that was kind of amusing maybe one time.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

HorseRenoir posted:

Lego is popular. Batman is popular. It turns out that Lego Batman is probably the most popular character from The Lego Movie. The Lego Batman games are also the biggest Lego games in terms of content outside of Lego Dimensions (I know this the moment I saw a screenshot of Lego Arkillo from the Lego Sinestro Corp).

It's not like this is the first Lego [franchise] thing either. Lego Star Wars had multiple TV movies, Ninjago had several series, now there's also Nexo Knights and I just saw an ad for a Lego Scooby Doo cartoon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lego is awesome, quit being a bunch of squares.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The Lego movie wasn't funny. Like, at all.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

The Lego movie wasn't funny. Like, at all.

RIP your ability to feel things

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

The whole lego thing has created several movies and like a billion games out of a dumb gimmick that was kind of amusing maybe one time.

yeah but what in particular makes lego batman a bridge too far? they're both hella popular media franchises who constantly churn out stuff to make money, there ain't nothing new or noteworthy here to get incensed over it

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

There have already been, what, nine Batman movies, along with at least two more on the way if you count BvS, even more if Justice League qualifies, but clearly Lego Batman is just too much.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Holy crap. I had no idea that any human being could not like The Lego Movie.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Holy crap. I had no idea that any human being could not like The Lego Movie.

Gotta #love the #brand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

TetsuoTW posted:

RIP your ability to feel things

Sorry you've replaced feelings with crass consumerism.

• Locked thread