Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NotAnArtist posted:

A multi-char fight in a pitch black pit? I have no idea what you're alluding to.

As for the bloodless prince, I found his body slam to be the worst. The shockwave would always catch me as I tried to roll through his feet.

You can block the shockwave. The optional boss I was talking about was Cran the Ronin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
2 questions:

1: I'm two-handing a great axe. I exceed all requirements and prerequisites. I even seem to use it fine.

Why does it have a red slash through it?

2: help with Tree of Men???

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Feenix posted:

2 questions:

1: I'm two-handing a great axe. I exceed all requirements and prerequisites. I even seem to use it fine.

Why does it have a red slash through it?

2: help with Tree of Men???

The single red slash just means you can't one-hand it. Things you can't wield at all have a red x instead.

As for tree of men, get lucky with the flamethrower patterns and wear fire resist stuff to mitigate the inevitable unlucky ones. Also, in the second phase you can hit its head from the top left platform without it needing to attack first, so I prefer hanging out on the left as much as possible.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I bashed my head against Tree of Men for about 10 tries until I realized:

a) to stand on the platforms
b) that there was a weak point in the "head" area after you hit all the hanging dudes.

After that it was cake.

Otherwise for boss difficulty, I'd highly suggest buying a Teuthis Shield - it's the equivalent of DS1's Hollow Soldier Shield (I think that's the one?) in that it's got 100% strike/slash reduction and attainable basically at the start of the game. Any boss that doesn't use magic, and that's at least half of them, can be blocked by it. Otherwise just use a two-hander (or whatever OP magic spell) and go to town.

Also I wish I could at least keep the air dash on NG+ because the game feels so goddamn sluggish without it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Okay I bought this since everyone seems to be loving it. Anything I should know going in? Anything I can miss?

I hope it's not too hard since I'm absolute garbage at Souls games. At least I'm p drat great when it comes to Castlevania!

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
You should probably do a build that uses big twohanded weapons because the damage on fast weapons is lovely at the moment. Only other thing you should know is that your devotion and leader quests reset when you change creed.You can remove nodes on the skill tree with gray pearls so long as they're not a prerequisite (swords 2 require swords 1, etc)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Exactly when do fast weapons become bad because I'm at the ruined temple/pitchwoods/floating castle and my sword has had no problem chopping up pretty much everything I've encountered, especially with a holy buff from my creed. I just got a rank 4 halberd too and it's awesome. I haven't died to a boss since the tree of men, although the coveted definitely did take way more hits to die

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So far I've killed three bosses on my first go, all here in the endgame in the mid-60's level-wise. Mal was a fun fight; no way I would've won if she wasn't weak to poison.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Digirat posted:

Exactly when do fast weapons become bad because I'm at the ruined temple/pitchwoods/floating castle and my sword has had no problem chopping up pretty much everything I've encountered, especially with a holy buff from my creed. I just got a rank 4 halberd too and it's awesome. I haven't died to a boss since the tree of men, although the coveted definitely did take way more hits to die

At that point the enemies get a ton more hp/resistances. I mean you can complete the game it's just that people might become frustrated with how long it takes to kill something. 200 hits with a 1-hand sword vs. 10 with a greatsword.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

Parrying and shields don't seem to be of much use in this game, mainly because the 2D plane allows for much greater enemy variety and vertical combat than you'd see in the Souls titles - parrying is great and relatively simple when most of your baddie roster just crawls or stomps along the ground and tries to take piece out of you, but S&S has flying critters and sniper critters and angry blobs and lightning ghosts and suits of armor so big they need they own zip code, many of whom like to fight you in groups. It sucks, but a build that's just rolling around with a big-rear end chunk of metal to hit things with is far and away the best one in this game.

I guess it really does stick close to the Souls formula, DEX builds always get shafted.

Parrying is really good against certain enemies, mainly anything humanoid that's tough enough to warrant it. I think anyone who doesn't have a ranged weapon equipped can do it, so it's really something you just break out when the situation calls for it, rather than something to build around. I find the 2D perspective makes it way easier to pull off, too.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

You can also parry with a pistol, Bloodborne-style.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Internet Friend posted:

WHAT

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Friend posted:

^^ what this one said.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
It's harder than bloodborne since the pistol's shot comes out slower than a shield/weapons parry. Also whips can't riposte making the Hunter starting class even more sucky.

You can do a melee attack > shot for a quickshot but I have a hard time getting that combo right before an enemy attacks.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's not as useful as it sounds honestly, most of my use for the pistol is blasting idiots out of the air or piling on constant damage when I wouldn't have time to safely get hits in otherwise.

Lakbay posted:

It's harder than bloodborne since the pistol's shot comes out slower than a shield/weapons parry. Also whips can't riposte making the Hunter starting class even more sucky.

Just use the awesome sword the hunter also starts with

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Is the whip any good at all? I like the moveset and kinda wanna do a Castlevania build for my next run.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Fuligin posted:

Are iframes just a matter of your roll type?

Unsure, I do know that the better roletypes iframes, at the very least, carry you further making it way easier to dodge projectile/beam attacks.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Is the whip any good at all? I like the moveset and kinda wanna do a Castlevania build for my next run.

No, but it's fun! I was able to do OK damage in NG when I maxed out the cleric tree and got Guardian Blade and Divine Blessed Weapon. NG+ on the other hand is a nightmare

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I recently got access a sword whip and flint & steel, and I wish you could get cool weapons like this earlier in the game. Unless there's something I'm missing, there's not an easy way to get one of these very early on.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Digirat posted:

I recently got access a sword whip and flint & steel, and I wish you could get cool weapons like this earlier in the game. Unless there's something I'm missing, there's not an easy way to get one of these very early on.

I found a sword whip or saw it available somewhere about...maybe a third in? Since the whole beginning/mid part of the game is sort of open-ended, I'm not sure if my route I took is particularly typical. I think it was alchemy that had it available, so I didn't buy it 'cause dex just ain't my stat baby.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Multi-type weapons require skill in 1 of the proficiencies, not both, right?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yes, from what I've seen so far. Greatscissors is considered a greatsword, sword whip is considered a whip, and flint & steel is considered a sword. So far it seems like magic and faith are the only secondary requirements that can appear for weapons (might only be magic even, I don't actually remember seeing a weapon that needs faith to let you use it).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What the hell do I do about the Witch of the Lake's red ball attack? It one-hits me every time she launches it no matter what I try.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
The machine gun fire sort of spell you have to anticipate and either be behind her or on the opposite end of the screen. The outwardly spinning black balls you can pretty easily dodge-roll, and the single ball that shoots lines of fire I've found success in air dashing through, although it's was by far the most difficult one for me to avoid.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

acumen posted:

The machine gun fire sort of spell you have to anticipate and either be behind her or on the opposite end of the screen. The outwardly spinning black balls you can pretty easily dodge-roll, and the single ball that shoots lines of fire I've found success in air dashing through, although it's was by far the most difficult one for me to avoid.

The real problem is when the red ball forces you to dodge in a direction away from her and she follows it up with the spray attack. She's pretty frail so I've always just rammed my face into her until she doesn't use any super gently caress you combos. Air dashing does seem to be the way to go for dodging the ball, though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ha, the Scarecrow thinks you're taking the piss if you agree to everything he says and starts ranting about how annoying you are. :haw:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Does the air dash make you invincible

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Digirat posted:

Does the air dash make you invincible

As far as I can tell, no.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Can you farm amber idols? I haven't found one yet, in red dungeon of silent hills or whatever it's called.

Also where is the tree of men? People made it sound like an earlier boss.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

poor life choice posted:

Can you farm amber idols? I haven't found one yet, in red dungeon of silent hills or whatever it's called.

The fat troll guys can drop them. Easily farmed from the Whispering Woods' sanctuary near the Alchemist boss.

The Tree of Men is in the Red Hall of Cages.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

poor life choice posted:

Amber Idols can be farmed from a few enemies (such as the big ogre dudes with clubs you can find as early as the Watchwood). The wiki has a more comprehensive list.

Tree of Men the boss of the area you're currently in (Hall of Red Cages).

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Thanks my dudes.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The drop rate on amber idols actually seems pretty good on the narwhal horses in the pitchwoods, the ones with the stupid loving spammable instakill charge terrible enemy bullshit design boycott salt and sanctuary 2 gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Just started this up with an ironically godless paladin. Killed Smiles and Alchemist and I'm just embracing the fat roll and getting up in their face with a 2h because parrying and finesse was getting me dead. The hardest thing so far was that dumb fat guy before the alchemist. Also, I am like Sideshow Bob with those rake traps. I cannot see them. Or remember them apparently.

My guy is 3/4th's of the way to cosplaying Sodden Knight but the gloves just make it too heavy.

Anyway, my question is: what's the difference between the creeds? I have my starter one and 2 others available now but zero indication of what benefits they provide. Trying to figure that out before I start ranking up.

My other question is: is dipping into the prayer tree for lv 1 prayers worth it?

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
I rolled a knight and promptly died to the sodden knight about a dozen times because I'm bad at games and should be sterilized. Any suggestions for training wheels? New weapon? Magic? The spear pokes nice but its moveset seems a little limited.

Russian Remoulade fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 22, 2016

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Crooked Warden posted:

I rolled a knight and promptly died to the sodden knight about a dozen times because I'm bad at games and should be sterilized. Any suggestions for training wheels? New weapon? Magic?

Take off all your armor so you can fast roll. Choose that dumb potion option when leveling up to get more healing items.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh, the approach to the Pitchwoods is just loving awful. Then I get all the way down there, loving Megaman platform bullshit, I fall down, survive, look around for awhile, then I got loving murdered by a goddamn unicorn...narwhal...rear end in a top hat!. This sucks, and it takes ages to get there and doing double air dashes can be finicky.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

The Crooked Warden posted:

I rolled a knight and promptly died to the sodden knight about a dozen times because I'm bad at games and should be sterilized. Any suggestions for training wheels? New weapon? Magic? The spear pokes nice but its moveset seems a little limited.

The spear is a weapon that gets a different combo if you hold up while attacking. It changes your second or third hit into a spinning attack that I think does more damage? I haven't played with it much. Most weapons also have a launcher if you press square triangle as well.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

ultrachrist posted:

My other question is: is dipping into the prayer tree for lv 1 prayers worth it?

imo not especially. I went really hard into heavy armor and greathammers/swords, and in NG+ I went into the prayer tree. It hasn't been terribly handy with level 2 prayers, but I'll stick on because I'm like level 125 and it's too expensive to get into magic with my current character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Fly Molo posted:

Take off all your armor so you can fast roll. Choose that dumb potion option when leveling up to get more healing items.

This is an option but also you can go the other way and invest in heavy armor and shields and just block everything. When bosses start throwing magic and elemental damage at you later you might run into trouble but relying on your shield will make the first 3-4 areas a total joke while you come to grips with everything

• Locked thread