Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mine updated fine.

Also I got an AT&T carrier update to 24.1 (no idea what it was before).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
Ugh, I really, really did not want to switch to one of the bigger 6-sized phones from my 5, but I finally caved a few months ago and got a 6s. Now I'm not sure if I should switch over to a SE or just stick with swapping my sim into my old 5 when I really want to use a smaller phone.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Can apps turn off the f.lux feature through an API or anything? I need my Snapchat snaps and Instagram pics to look amazing at 1am when I run them through a lovely camera filters to show my friends how much of a party animal I am.

(No but seriously serious question though, can photo/imaging apps turn off the f.lux filter when I'm doing photo/image editing?)

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
You can turn it off in the settings. Or the control center. Not sure there's an API for it, though.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Lblitzer posted:

Says there is 2gb quite confidently but I'm not sure where they're able to confirm that from.

The A9 SoC comes with 2GB of RAM on-package; it'd be more work for them to drop down to 1GB (and have to produce a new package) than to just keep the current SoC.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Phthisis posted:

Ugh, I really, really did not want to switch to one of the bigger 6-sized phones from my 5, but I finally caved a few months ago and got a 6s. Now I'm not sure if I should switch over to a SE or just stick with swapping my sim into my old 5 when I really want to use a smaller phone.

If the 6s is in good condition you may be able to sell it and the 5 on ebay, buy a new SE retail, and pocket a couple hundred. If you don't have interest in selling it seems like a waste, though.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I'm curious what the gently caress the point of a public beta is when I reported this like three times on three different releases only to have it ship in the final version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2gzRqNdWBc

Sick rear end circle folders and insane animations confirmed for iOS 10.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

NightShift is sooooo nice :allears: I know they just ripped of flux but I'm glad they did.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I'm really looking forward to seeing how night shift works tonight, I'm always reading my phone in bed even though I know it's terrible for you.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

AGGHHH THE PHONE LOOKS SO BLUE WHEN YOU TURN IT OFF

Confirmed for never turning night shift off.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

lol if you haven't had nightshift for weeks through the public beta

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lol if you run beta software on your non-dev phone.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Lady Gaza posted:

lol if you haven't had nightshift for weeks through the public beta

Noticed a difference in sleep?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Lol if you run beta software on your non-dev phone.
Er, public beta is very much intended for daily use for regular users. That's why it's a public beta not a developer beta. They want feedback. Public betas are often left out of the first couple of (unstable) beta builds, and in my experience I haven't seen showstoppers from running a public beta. Early developer betas? Yeah those can be a disaster.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

After updating my iOS, a carrier update popped up. So I installed that... and now my LTE does not work. It still shows up at the top of the screen, but I'm getting no reception. It's Sprint 24.1. Anyone know what's up?

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

smoobles posted:

Noticed a difference in sleep?

I find that if I read my phone in bed it's much easier on my, same with flux on my PC in the evenings. I sleep quite well though anyway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

NightShift is sooooo nice :allears: I know they just ripped of flux but I'm glad they did.

They not only ripped them off, they eliminated flux's ability to distribute the app.

I mean yeah flux was "breaking the rules" with their scheme but it was still an incredibly scummy thing for Apple to do.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

So...

The 5SE is basically the iPhone 6S Internals in 4" form factor.

Why shouldn't I buy this?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Tab8715 posted:

So...

It's a choice of screen size bro, you gotta choose for yourself. Live your own life.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

So...

It's for babbys

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

So...

No 3D Touch, which I've come to really like if only for the ability to turn the keyboard into a trackpad.

I'm really considering dumping my 6S, though.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

smoobles posted:

It's a choice of screen size bro, you gotta choose for yourself. Live your own life.

Once you've tried that big six inch S+, its hard to go back to a S, but there are advantages to each!

OK, gonna update now... fingers crossed, backups are ready...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My only complaint with the 6 is that they redid the keyboard so it's basically the same size, just with more poo poo to accidentally tap. The horizontal keyboard is particularly bad.

I still have a couple ancient apps from the pre-6 days and they get the old keyboard, it's so nice to use because the keys are bigger.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

xzzy posted:

My only complaint with the 6 is that they redid the keyboard so it's basically the same size, just with more poo poo to accidentally tap. The horizontal keyboard is particularly bad.

Yeah I REALLLLY wish they gave you the option to turn off that expanded keyboard in landscape.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

smoobles posted:

Thought so.

What's the quickest way to get the new phone? Should I order through Apple or my carrier?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Is it me or is 9.3 snappy as hell?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Rick posted:

We've been in a position where we had to upgrade a few users from 5C to 5S which has felt kind of mean (we still do contracts, and the company won't shell out for the 6) so this will at least be a real step up.

They literally did this to us at work a month ago. Replaced all of our AT&T 5Cs with Verizon 5Ses. A two year old phone... for a two year old phone.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LmaoTheKid posted:

Is it me or is 9.3 snappy as hell?

I was noticing some lag on the system keyboard but it seems to be gone now.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

They've made a lot of additional repairs to the mail application, because all of the problems I had before are gone.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

So...

Cause it'll still have the 6S internals when the iPhone 7 comes out :v:

I'd like to go back down to a smaller phone...but am really interested in the long rumored dual camera stuff. 3D Touch would be nice too but not the deal breaker alone for me.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I cannot loving believe that after three and a half years you still can't tell Apple Maps to avoid highways.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Tab8715 posted:

So...

Because you just bought a 6s in December and ohgodIreallyshouldn'tsellitandbuythesuperioriPhone. 3D Touch is pretty much a worthless gimmick, and the smaller form factor is waaaaaaaaay more comfortable for using one-handed on the bus/at the grocery store/etc.

I don't think I can talk myself into selling my 6s and spending the extra cash to upgrade to a SE, but if the 7 gets a similar treatment I'll bail on the hugephone in a heartbeat. Large phones suck.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Weedle posted:

I cannot loving believe that after three and a half years you still can't tell Apple Maps to avoid highways.

Why the hell are you using Apple Maps?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Michael Scott posted:

Why the hell are you using Apple Maps?

Waze 4 life.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I use Apple maps sometimes because I can just say "Siri take me home" and she does :)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bass Bottles posted:

I use Apple maps sometimes because I can just say "Siri take me home" and she does :)

A recent Googoo Maps update added 3D Touch shortcuts, including directions to home. A little more involved than hands free-ing it, but not so bad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Same.

And because it works fine?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I like google maps better on my computer for street level view etc. and I like apple maps better on my cell phone

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Lady Gaza posted:

I find that if I read my phone in bed it's much easier on my, same with flux on my PC in the evenings. I sleep quite well though anyway.

I had no idea they had flux for PC. Now I do, and wow what an immediate difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

If anyone was wondering why they didn't see a Sunrise To Sunset option for scheduling, you gotta turn on automatic time zones in your Date & Time settings.