Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I tried some of this stuff and it worked fine for twenty minutes and then the exact same poo poo happened. It's still tied to R1 so I think that's where the problems started.

I know you don't have a Madcatz stick, but what's it like replacing buttons? I'm hesitant to get started and I know it would void the warranty.

Very easy, but "voids" your warranty (I hear Madcatz is understanding if you tell them you opened it up just to try replacing a button.) You just remove the back panel and unplug the two quick connect clips from the microswitch terminals. Use a flathead screwdriver to depress the two tabs on the side of the button housing that keep it secured into the hole on the controller, and out it comes! It doesn't matter which terminal is which when it comes to plugging in a new button, as long as they're both connected.

In my experience, a failing microswitch tends to be a little different in its symptoms. It'll just continually miss inputs more and more until it no longer works at all. I'd ask Madcatz about it before you open it up, they might have more insight as to what is going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure replacing buttons does NOT void your warranty. Only thing that does is if you remove the cover that hides the pcb, but you don't need to do that to replace stick/buttons

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
When the TE was fist coming out one of the big selling points madcatz was pushing was how easy it is to open the stick up and replace parts. It's certainly not voiding a thing.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I've owned two Madcatz sticks and they both had warranty glue on the screws though

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I know the TE2 has that lid you can just lift for internal access, but I don't know about the TES. I just assumed it has a warranty sticker covering a screw or something like that.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I loved SG, but I crushed all my friends playing it so they all quit and there isn't much of a goon community around it. Playing online ends up just being a bit soul destroying when you can't play anyone you actually know.

SFV is good because I can at least chat poo poo on discord after a match and find games against people who'll kick my poo poo in and then tell me why they were managing to do it.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Cat Machine posted:

I've owned two Madcatz sticks and they both had warranty glue on the screws though

I've exchanged my own TE through madcatz even after opening it up and removing parts with the glue on the screws. So long as you aren't slamming a screwdriver on the PCB you don't have to worry

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Night Blade posted:

Exactly my situation. I wish Skullgirls was a different game, but I don't regret my purchase at all as it's a well made game for what it is.

Skullgirls looks like it has cool mechanics but games revolving around anime girls just make me cringe a little too hard to really want to get involved with.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

apple posted:

The consequence is exactly that: you can't do jump inputs or you won't break throws successfully. You'd still be throw invul frame 1 while jumping, it'd just be pretty draconian to most people to have that kind of special rule. You kinda have to do that if you want to remove fuzzy jump from the game though. The only other thing I can think of is making jump startup frames CH state, and that would probably be a shitshow :v:

If getting hit out of holding up back on wakeup or a frame trap becoming a counter hit means you don't air tech and punish me when you land then yeah I'm on board. poo poo is dumb

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

attackmole posted:

Skullgirls looks like it has cool mechanics but games revolving around anime girls just make me cringe a little too hard to really want to get involved with.

Most of the female characters' design in Skullgirls was loving atrocious, which is a real shame since the game has a fantastic aesthetic and also Peacock and Big Band. :(

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 22, 2016

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

All I know is that Skullgirls is supposed to have a good tutorial and some big ol titties

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Lemon-Lime posted:

All the female characters' design in Skullgirls was loving atrocious, which is a real shame since the game has a fantastic aesthetic and also Big Band. :(

I thought Parasoul's was pretty stylin'

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I want to like it but the design looks like it came from a sticker on the side of a bong :(

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Can anyone in SFV see their fighter profile stats, or are they all at 0%? I added my profile to the stat tracking site, but after 3 days it's only loaded one match from my profile.

It also says I last played Feb 17.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

That's the "1906 glitch" which as far as people can tell eventually affects everyone who plays SFV online and is irreversible. It sucks. Hopefully today's server refresh or w/e fixes it.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Cat Machine posted:

That's the "1906 glitch" which as far as people can tell eventually affects everyone who plays SFV online and is irreversible. It sucks. Hopefully today's server refresh or w/e fixes it.

oh good

Lemon-Lime posted:

All the female characters' design in Skullgirls was loving atrocious, which is a real shame since the game has a fantastic aesthetic and also Big Band. :(

What's atrocious about someone who pulls off their own head and jets around the screen under blood power

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

attackmole posted:

Dawg you're playing a game where Laura and Mika are characters that exist

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Peacock is cool

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Not sure how useful this is, but I noticed last night while grinding out bnbs with Necalli that if you have an opponent in the corner and do st.MK xx st.HK xx VSkill (close), you can stick out a st.LK and reset them; I didn't experiment any more than to try and get a command grab follow up, but that could lead to some interesting setups if anyone wants to try it. No V-Trigger required, either!

attackmole posted:

If it helps, the developers went back and edited some of the game sprites to be less fanservice-y; if it's ever part of a Steam sale I would really recommend picking it up.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

AnonSpore posted:

Dawg you're playing a game where Laura and Mika are characters that exist

A fighting game is progressive when it restricts itself to having two big titty characters instead of a whole cast of them. Thanks, Japan.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

attackmole posted:

A fighting game is progressive when it restricts itself to having two big titty characters instead of a whole cast of them. Thanks, Japan.

Chun-Li normal or alt costume and also Cammy's breast implants?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
When there's a few big titty anime girls, I'm a little skeeved out but go "ok, that's normal for the genre though, whatever". When the whole games aesthetic revolves around it is where I kinda draw the line. But I mean I also don't play JRPG's because they're too anime for me so it's mainly a personal choice. There's a couple of people at my uni's fighting game club who play Nitroplus Blasterz and it's just.....too much for me.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

attackmole posted:

When there's a few big titty anime girls, I'm a little skeeved out but go "ok, that's normal for the genre though, whatever". When the whole games aesthetic revolves around it is where I kinda draw the line. But I mean I also don't play JRPG's because they're too anime for me so it's mainly a personal choice.

They're all big titty anime girls in SFV though.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Anime sells tho, dont you know? Oh wait, SFV sold poorly.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

everybody in SFV has big tits and huge dicks

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Faffel posted:

What about Karin

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

bhsman posted:

Not sure how useful this is, but I noticed last night while grinding out bnbs with Necalli that if you have an opponent in the corner and do st.MK xx st.HK xx VSkill (close), you can stick out a st.LK and reset them; I didn't experiment any more than to try and get a command grab follow up, but that could lead to some interesting setups if anyone wants to try it. No V-Trigger required, either!

You can also EX DP with or without V-Trigger! I should use that combo more often, but it's so punishable and really hard to hit confirm outside of jump ins so I don't bother. Always something to work on.

We should play sometime, bhsman! I need to see how other Necallis are playing and get some character specific feedback, I feel like I'm not mixing things up very well.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I love the titties

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Faffel posted:

Yeah but there's guys to balance them out. I dunno, like, do I have to have a hard and fast rule of what percentage is the cast is embarrassingly lewd anime girls before I get weirded out? It's not really the dominant theme of the game, comparative to like, Skullgirls/DOA/Nitroplus Blasterz/probably more. Honestly I don't even play SFV cause my computer can't run it, I just creep this thread for fighting game chat sometimes because the other thread tends to lean to guys who've been in the FGC for a decade.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 22, 2016

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I loved SG, but I crushed all my friends playing it so they all quit and there isn't much of a goon community around it.

There actually are a bunch of goons who play the game though, and still play frequently.

Lemon-Lime posted:

attackmole posted:

Hey now, it's not all of the girls. Painwheel, Squiggly, Peacock, and Double are perfectly fine. And Ms Fortune, Parasoul, and Eliza are extremely tame and mild. It's just 3 characters (Valentine, FIlia, Bella) who are the copious amount of fanservice that's cringeworthy.

And yeah, then there's Robo-Fortune, Big Band, and Beowulf. The game was definitely more fanservicey at the start, but 3/14 ain't bad.

Help Im Alive posted:

All I know is that Skullgirls is supposed to have a good tutorial and some big ol titties

It's a game with cool character designs that's really well balanced, super unique gameplay structure due to variable assists + team size ratios + good options that make offense and defense strong. It's also a game with lots of combos. It's also a game with lots of resets at High Level. The game goes on sale for like $2 like every other week on Steam, you should get it to try it out!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
EDIT: ^^^I'd argue Eliza is played up a bit as a sex symbol up until the second you start using her moves :v:

Hobojim posted:

You can also EX DP with or without V-Trigger! I should use that combo more often, but it's so punishable and really hard to hit confirm outside of jump ins so I don't bother. Always something to work on.

I see guys like BJUnchained pressure with st.MK on wakeup a lot, so maybe it's a good way to change things up.

quote:

We should play sometime, bhsman! I need to see how other Necallis are playing and get some character specific feedback, I feel like I'm not mixing things up very well.

I'm down, I just usually have been so busy between school (last semester of law school :sweatdrop:) and work that most of my time playing SFV has just been grinding out combos in training mode and then a smattering of sets with some friends.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

bhsman posted:

If it helps, the developers went back and edited some of the game sprites to be less fanservice-y; if it's ever part of a Steam sale I would really recommend picking it up.

And predictably, a certain segment of the game's fan base is absolutely livid about the edits.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
For what it's worth, Skullgirls tries to be both fanservice and a deconstruction of fanservice. Take Valentine, the sexy nurse; pretty blatant character design, but she purposely fights with everything that is unsettling, unnerving, and unsexy about medicine. Bone saws, body-bags, needles, and anesthesia, her level 3 super is literally just performing a surgery, but with spooky framing and sound effects. Body horror is also a central theme, as shown by Fillia, Eliza, Painwheel, Ms Fortune, and Double; even Big Band is actually a dude in an iron lung and Peacock is terrifying when you realize her eyes are actually empty sockets. At the end of the day the game still has way more fanservice in it than I'd like, but it has some really interesting character designs that have a whole lot more going on than Anime Tittays.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Hobojim, if you want, my info should still be on the first page or so of the SFV goon info thread. Send me an invite on Steam or in game and we'll see how it goes.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Peacock is a really cool character and it's a shame she plays nothing like the sort of character I like because otherwise I might have tried Skullgirls

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

bhsman posted:

EDIT: ^^^I'd argue Eliza is played up a bit as a sex symbol up until the second you start using her moves :v:

I see guys like BJUnchained pressure with st.MK on wakeup a lot, so maybe it's a good way to change things up.

The problem with that is you don't have time to confirm if the s.mk hit before going into s.hk because it's a target combo and not a link, and if they block but you go into s.hk they can punish or even interrupt with a full punish if you go for the v-skill followup, landing them a free counterhit. I don't know the number of frames in between, but I land my five frame normal easily in between s.hk -> v-skill and it doesn't feel tight at all, so I'm guessing at least 7-8 frames.

I've been waking up with s.lk a lot because it's active for four frames and if you hit it meaty you can combo into s.mk, cr.mp xx light slashes, and because a meaty s.lk has so much frame advantage you can tick into command grab really well.

quote:

I'm down, I just usually have been so busy between school (last semester of law school :sweatdrop:) and work that most of my time playing SFV has just been grinding out combos in training mode and then a smattering of sets with some friends.

I'm Hobojim on steam if you want to add me, also Hobojim on CFN and I hang out in the discord server somewhat regularly. Hit me up when you need a break from case studies or something!

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Fenn the Fool! posted:

For what it's worth, Skullgirls tries to be both fanservice and a deconstruction of fanservice. Take Valentine, the sexy nurse; pretty blatant character design, but she purposely fights with everything that is unsettling, unnerving, and unsexy about medicine. Bone saws, body-bags, needles, and anesthesia, her level 3 super is literally just performing a surgery, but with spooky framing and sound effects. Body horror is also a central theme, as shown by Fillia, Eliza, Painwheel, Ms Fortune, and Double; even Big Band is actually a dude in an iron lung and Peacock is terrifying when you realize her eyes are actually empty sockets. At the end of the day the game still has way more fanservice in it than I'd like, but it has some really interesting character designs that have a whole lot more going on than Anime Tittays.

Yeah, man. Games are art.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

burger time posted:

The stat tracking systems did ship incomplete lol

Jesus, what did they get right outside of the basic gameplay system?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ventana posted:

Hey now, it's not all of the girls. Painwheel, Squiggly, Peacock, and Double are perfectly fine. And Ms Fortune, Parasoul, and Eliza are extremely tame and mild. It's just 3 characters (Valentine, FIlia, Bella) who are the copious amount of fanservice that's cringeworthy.

I'd forgotten that Peacock is loving fantastic and should have been mentioned alongside Big Band.

But yeah, actually, it's not all of them, a bunch of the SG ladies (Peacock, Squiggly, Robo-Fortune) are genuinely good, which makes the rest of them even worse by comparison. Double being an amorphous blob with clearly-visible breasts was also pretty terrible. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Fenn the Fool! posted:

For what it's worth, Skullgirls tries to be both fanservice and a deconstruction of fanservice.
sure