Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
sorry for ruining the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

bhsman posted:

Oh hey Hobojim and any other Necalli players: in case you missed me sharing this awhile back, here is a very useful punish guide with Necalli that has a recommended punish for most moves against every character.

Yeah, that's been my bible when I can't figure out how to punish something. It's tremendously useful and I hope other characters have something similar.

Speaking of other characters, FANG is garbage. Terrible damage, comboing into fireball is REALLY negative ON HIT, and his normals are mostly only +1 at best, but he's got a four frame jab as his fastest normal so I hope you like trading during frame traps against characters with 3f jabs. His poison damage ticks way too slowly, too. What a strange character. He does have a sick-rear end mixup off of an anti-air cr.HP though, you can cancel the first hit of it into either light or medium roll to get a left-right mixup. He's no Abel, but it's something. FANG would probably do well against lower-level players who jump a lot and can't deal with mixups off of that alone, but if I'm actually going to use him (spoilers: I won't) I'll need to come up with some good frametraps that might work against the Ryus, Mikas and Necallis of the internet. His meterless combo DOES do a good amount of stun though, but without crush counters you can't even get over 400 damage in a CA combo.

Another thing I noticed that I hadn't before: You can't input back charge moves by going from db to df in this game. Considering Necalli has a back charge move I'm surprised this hasn't come up before, but I was trying to do some fun stuff by holding down charge while doing FANG's back charge move and it doesn't work. I've only really messed around with charge characters in KoF; is this normal in SF? I thought you could hold flash kick charge while doing sonic booms, but I've never actually used Guile so I hadn't really tested it.

Edit: Huh, now I can only get the cr.HP xx roll to cross under regardless of which button I press. Maybe it's timing related or I just got lucky, I don't know. There goes my fun.

Hobojim fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 22, 2016

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Yo its kinda bullshit that the game is down all evening (prime time EU) as I've been working like a bitch lately and was looking forward to finally sitting down for a few hours.

Anyway this is my street fighter vee story, laters

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Hobojim posted:

Yeah, that's been my bible when I can't figure out how to punish something. It's tremendously useful and I hope other characters have something similar.

Speaking of other characters, FANG is garbage. Terrible damage, comboing into fireball is REALLY negative ON HIT, and his normals are mostly only +1 at best, but he's got a four frame jab as his fastest normal so I hope you like trading during frame traps against characters with 3f jabs. His poison damage ticks way too slowly, too. What a strange character. He does have a sick-rear end mixup off of an anti-air cr.HP though, you can cancel the first hit of it into either light or medium roll to get a left-right mixup. He's no Abel, but it's something. FANG would probably do well against lower-level players who jump a lot and can't deal with mixups off of that alone, but if I'm actually going to use him (spoilers: I won't) I'll need to come up with some good frametraps that might work against the Ryus, Mikas and Necallis of the internet. His meterless combo DOES do a good amount of stun though, but without crush counters you can't even get over 400 damage in a CA combo.

Another thing I noticed that I hadn't before: You can't input back charge moves by going from db to df in this game. Considering Necalli has a back charge move I'm surprised this hasn't come up before, but I was trying to do some fun stuff by holding down charge while doing FANG's back charge move and it doesn't work. I've only really messed around with charge characters in KoF; is this normal in SF? I thought you could hold flash kick charge while doing sonic booms, but I've never actually used Guile so I hadn't really tested it.

I'm not sure I understand, you can do db -> f for charge moves.

e: Oh wait I think I see, you want to maintain a down charge throughout all the frames of the forward charge move

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm not sure I understand, you can do db -> f for charge moves

Yes, but you can't do db -> df for charge moves, keeping down charge so you can then go d -> u and do it immediately. You lose down charge if you go db -> f.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Hobojim posted:

Yes, but you can't do db -> df for charge moves, keeping down charge so you can then go d -> u and do it immediately. You lose down charge if you go db -> f.

This is so you cant keep flash kick charge after throwing a boom

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Hobojim posted:

Yeah I get it now. You mentioned necalli so I was a little confused at first since he doesn't have a down charge, but I see your point now

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Gotcha. That's lame as gently caress. Leona in KoFXIII can do this and it's integral to some of her combos, and the charge time in that game is super quick anyway.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's a cool thing that Guile's always had so don't be surprised when he can't do it anymore because "character diversity." Also Urien will probably have none of his cool stuff he used to have either, but I think we all knew that was coming anyways.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Or rather the you can't keep headbutt charged after low rush

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Baal posted:

It's a cool thing that Guile's always had so don't be surprised when he can't do it anymore because "character diversity." Also Urien will probably have none of his cool stuff he used to have either, but I think we all knew that was coming anyways.

Okay so he COULD do that in older SF games? I took Dangerdoom's post to mean he couldn't.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Baal posted:

I'm hoping that since Urien will definitely not be 3S Urien they make him into the obnoxious zoner this game deserves.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
For whatever reason, something just clicked inside me and I went from around 900 LP to 1600 in the span of an evening and two 5 win streaks. I also completely crapped all over a 2700 LP Necalli so that helped.

Only 400 LP away from silver rank so if I keep grinding I'll hit silver this week, especially since I have friday off. Pretty soon I'll be out of scrub town!

Also apparently something awoke in kbrad too, because his Cammy was pretty crappy but had a huge improvement at Final Round.

It sucks that SF5's servers will be down tonight, but luckily this place is only 10 min away from my apartment so I think I'm good

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Dias posted:

I'm hoping that since Urien will definitely not be 3S Urien they make him into the obnoxious zoner this game deserves.

I'm scared of what they will do to his voice.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hobojim posted:

Okay so he COULD do that in older SF games? I took Dangerdoom's post to mean he couldn't.

You could do a lot of poo poo with Guile. He's been a pretty wacky character as far as charging tech goes, since these games have always been filled with happy accidents like that.

Well, used to be anyways.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

inthesto posted:

Or rather the you can't keep headbutt charged after low rush

Wait, does this mean you can't Headbutt -> Super?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I don't think he could maintain a flash kick charge through a sonic boom in SF2, am i tripping?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

cloofish posted:

I'm scared of what they will do to his voice.

*in a squeaky nerd voice* Get ready to *voice cracks* die!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I don't think he could maintain a flash kick charge through a sonic boom in SF2, am i tripping?

Idk about SF2, but in SF4 you maintain down charge through some wacky poo poo and get double flash out of a sonic boom. I'm not entirely sure if you can basic flash kick after it, but I wouldn't doubt it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I think I just realized that his name is supposed to be pronounced Er-ien but I always pronounced it Yer-ien, like urine. Kinda like how Uranus is supposed to be pronounced "er-in-us" instead of "your anus".

But basically I figured he was always pissed off because he was named after pee

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

no hes always required straight forward for boom

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Gammatron 64 posted:

For whatever reason, something just clicked inside me and I went from around 900 LP to 1600 in the span of an evening and two 5 win streaks. I also completely crapped all over a 2700 LP Necalli so that helped.

Only 400 LP away from silver rank so if I keep grinding I'll hit silver this week, especially since I have friday off. Pretty soon I'll be out of scrub town!

Also apparently something awoke in kbrad too, because his Cammy was pretty crappy but had a huge improvement at Final Round.

It sucks that SF5's servers will be down tonight, but luckily this place is only 10 min away from my apartment so I think I'm good

I miss Lost Ark. :(

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

I miss Lost Ark. :(

Yeah it owns. I'm so lucky to go play fighting games in an actual arcade w/ friends vs. having to be an online warrior in bumfuck Oklahoma or whatever.

On the flip side, you lived in Fayettenam and I can't blame you for wanting to get the gently caress outta there. If you lived in Greensboro\High Point\Winston or Raleigh\Durham you'd still probably be here!

Playing online will never, ever compare to playing with actual people in person and that applies to way more than just fighting games. It's really kinda sad that local multiplayer is becoming a thing of the past and only fighting games and Nintendo games are keeping that alive. I don't play modern multiplayer FPS games but most of them don't even include 4-player splitscreen anymore and that's just hosed up and sad.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

Congrats Gammatron! It always feels nice when you get a decent streak going and things are working out. In the betas I had a 14 game winning streak, which is by far the longest streak I've ever had in a fighting game that wasn't a set against one person. You'll hit that silver sooner rather than later, I'm sure. We should play a few games sometime, I'm always up for a few sets.

Also I'm jealous of your local scene.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Hobojim posted:

Congrats Gammatron! It always feels nice when you get a decent streak going and things are working out. In the betas I had a 14 game winning streak, which is by far the longest streak I've ever had in a fighting game that wasn't a set against one person. You'll hit that silver sooner rather than later, I'm sure. We should play a few games sometime, I'm always up for a few sets.

Also I'm jealous of your local scene.

Definitely, I just gotta figure out that discord thingy. I'm still pretty rear end, but I'm less rear end than before. I typically don't play online much because I have a lot of local friends and when I do, it's usually with them.

I'm usually on a kind of weird cusp where I'm like, semi-casual, semi-competitive because typical non-FGC normies think I'm some kind of insane supermutant who can actually do combos and stuff but I'm also very lazy and ADHD and never practice as much as I should and typically go 0-2 in tournies b\c I'm bad

I also got bored of SF4 and quit it multiple times throughout its lifespan for years at a time. Before the launch of SF5 there was like a 2+ year period where I didn't watch streams or go out to tournaments or really give much of a poo poo, but honestly I wasn't the only one and was probably in the majority here

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think I just realized that his name is supposed to be pronounced Er-ien but I always pronounced it Yer-ien, like urine. Kinda like how Uranus is supposed to be pronounced "er-in-us" instead of "your anus".

But basically I figured he was always pissed off because he was named after pee

It's yoo-ree-ahn ユリアン

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

If they just released it on Steam I'd buy it on day 1, but I'm not going to bother risking unstable drivers on W10.

same.

E:

LOL at the hardcore believers thinking its down for the patch coming out today. :allears:

Microwaves Mom fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 22, 2016

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Baal posted:

Idk about SF2, but in SF4 you maintain down charge through some wacky poo poo and get double flash out of a sonic boom. I'm not entirely sure if you can basic flash kick after it, but I wouldn't doubt it.

Most (all?) charge Supers/Ultras that start in down+back can be done with completely horizontal inputs in the middle.

Vanrushal fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 22, 2016

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

At this point I'll be surprised if THE MARCH PATCH actually comes out in march, they haven't said a drat thing about it in a while.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
The March Patch will be a small update that changes the menus that inform you that the store and story mode are coming in March to say that they're coming in April instead.

It will be released on March 31st.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

At 11:58 PM EST

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

It's yoo-ree-ahn ユリアン
ユリアアアアアアアアアアアアアアアア!!!
/

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Yer killin' me, Capcom. Yer killin' me.

Like, forget Alex, I'd be happy just to get lobbies of more than 2 people and challenge mode. And a way to get colors without that retarded survival crap.

Capcom pls

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

cougar cub posted:

At 11:58 PM EST

Nah they'll be working off Samoan timezone.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Dracula Factory posted:

At this point I'll be surprised if THE MARCH PATCH actually comes out in march, they haven't said a drat thing about it in a while.

It sucks but they can't really drop a new character like 3 days before a big tournament (NCR)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Help Im Alive posted:

It sucks but they can't really drop a new character like 3 days before a big tournament (NCR)

Well, they can. They just have to do the MKX thing and ban it for that tournament.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Help Im Alive posted:

Gee, it's almost like trying to plan a release schedule around tournaments is a stupid loving idea.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Help Im Alive posted:

there's a CPT tournament every week for the foreseeable future.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Baal posted:

Gee, it's almost like trying to plan a release schedule around tournaments is a stupid loving idea.

If a character comes out like, the day before a tournament, they could just, I dunno, not download the character yet and have the character available at the next one after people have to time to try it out.

You don't even need a soft ban, just don't download him yet. AFAIK they're not doing any balance changes to existing characters either so NBD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That is also true, but it's not gonna happen.That being said the patches are also coming with OS removals here and there so technically those are balance changes.