Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If you wanna play games build a PC or buy a ps4. I could count the amount of times I've used my macs for gaming on one hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ok, sorry, that was a red herring. Will it affect Lightroom performance?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Lightroom's a pile of balls and a CPU hog on every platform. It'll make your fans spin up! Do I think a dGPU'll have an effect? No. It's mostly CPU and I/O constrained.

gently caress Lightroom. I wish Aperture were still a thing. Screw you Apple, for making me make this switch.

But yeah, you'll be fine...

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Thank you! Maxed the processor on the lower 15" (w/o graphics card), looking forward to getting it.

I appreciate the advice.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Am I hosed? This is not going away after rebooting like 10 times. I'm having to open everything through the command line, which is fine and I am comfortable with, but I kinda want finder to work again.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
How dumb would it be to buy a late 2012 macbook pro 13inch 2.5ghz i5, 8gb, 256gb ssd for $700. From the spec sheet alone it looks very close to the current model (slightly faster ram of the same amount, same ssd, 2.7ghz i5) aside from the gpu and I'm not going to be using it for gaming. The current one is $1500. Is there a performance boost in the current model worth paying slightly more than double?

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 22, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BobHoward posted:

Third party battery utilities don't always calculate battery percentage the same way Apple's display does. If your battery life is still OK just ignore the discrepancy and move on.
Even though the Apple provided info says he only has an hour and half of batter on 94% charge? That sounds like something's wrong to me.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Neurophonic posted:

Well, this is a bit odd.

Any ideas? PRAM etc doesn't seem to have helped.

You need to come to terms witht he fact that you may have installed a useless piece of software.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GutBomb posted:

How dumb would it be to buy a late 2012 macbook pro 13inch 2.5ghz i5, 8gb, 256gb ssd for $700. From the spec sheet alone it looks very close to the current model (slightly faster ram of the same amount, same ssd, 2.7ghz i5) aside from the gpu and I'm not going to be using it for gaming. The current one is $1500. Is there a performance boost in the current model worth paying slightly more than double?

You should be able to get a 2013 rMBP 13" for $700

That's not a bad machine but I'd want to see closer to $600

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Mandals posted:

It's one of those jarring things, like watching live TV with commercials after months of commercial-free Netflix, that when you do have your focus stolen it's incredibly noticeable. OS X isn't immune from this, but it happens far, far less.

I know this is from two pages back but I've actually noticed in more in OSX than in Windows? Any time I'm running something full screen and something in another window has a pop-up, or an app opens up for some reason, it switches screens. I can't think of a time when that's happened in Windows to me.

It's worse when I'm doing remote desktop into my mac at home and it takes 5-10 seconds to struggle to show the animation :argh:

Speaking of remote desktop, I'm having a weird issue with my mac mini at home. Sometimes when I remote in, I get weird graphical glitches like this:

As time goes on, it'll get worse and worse, with text on random apps getting corrupted. Eventually I'll lose connection and when I actually access the computer IRL it has restarted with a kernel panic.

Originally I thought it was just weirdness with Chrome Remote Desktop but it happens with the built-in Apple Remote Desktop as well. The corruption doesn't show on the computer directly and only shows on remote desktop.

Normally I'd suck it up and just use the machine directly, but it's currently acting as my media server and it doesn't usually have a keyboard/mouse attached.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Pivo posted:

Lightroom's a pile of balls and a CPU hog on every platform. It'll make your fans spin up! Do I think a dGPU'll have an effect? No. It's mostly CPU and I/O constrained.

Modern Lightroom versions use the GPU for a lot of the graphics manipulation. And I wouldn't have minded having to switch from Aperture if all my edits came over too.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Morales posted:

You should be able to get a 2013 rMBP 13" for $700

That's not a bad machine but I'd want to see closer to $600

Along these lines, I'm going to want to sell my 2012 15" rMBP 8GB/256 soon. I was hoping to get $600. Does that sound reasonable?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

robodex posted:

I know this is from two pages back but I've actually noticed in more in OSX than in Windows? Any time I'm running something full screen and something in another window has a pop-up, or an app opens up for some reason, it switches screens. I can't think of a time when that's happened in Windows to me.

It's worse when I'm doing remote desktop into my mac at home and it takes 5-10 seconds to struggle to show the animation :argh:

Speaking of remote desktop, I'm having a weird issue with my mac mini at home. Sometimes when I remote in, I get weird graphical glitches like this:

As time goes on, it'll get worse and worse, with text on random apps getting corrupted. Eventually I'll lose connection and when I actually access the computer IRL it has restarted with a kernel panic.

Originally I thought it was just weirdness with Chrome Remote Desktop but it happens with the built-in Apple Remote Desktop as well. The corruption doesn't show on the computer directly and only shows on remote desktop.

Normally I'd suck it up and just use the machine directly, but it's currently acting as my media server and it doesn't usually have a keyboard/mouse attached.

Similar to you, my 2014 Mac mini had strange RDP graphics glitches in two cases: Headless and with an HDMI monitor connected that didn't have HDCP. It wouldn't kernel panic, but it would get so completely slow and useable (and the desktop would start showing up as ~100px x 100px black boxes and/or the screen would show the right 1/5th of the screen on the left hand side) that I'd usually restart it. It happened to me both with Chrome RD and some flavor of VNC. It cleared up when I switched monitors.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

flosofl posted:

Even though the Apple provided info says he only has an hour and half of batter on 94% charge? That sounds like something's wrong to me.

Didn't spot that due to reading / posting from phone, and yeah that's not right.

Neurophonic, you might want to try a SMC reset. Resetting the PRAM did nothing because 99% of the time resetting PRAM is meaningless voodoo pushed by people that give bad advice (looking at you, Pivo). SMC reset, on the other hand, is highly relevant here because if you're wondering what the hell a SMC is, it's the chip on your Mac's motherboard responsible for battery and power management (among other things). All battery information displayed by either OS X or Coconut Battery actually comes from the SMC.

It's not unknown for a SMC to become confused about the true state of a battery, so reset it and see what happens. If it doesn't help and that 1.5hr estimate on 94% charge is reasonably accurate when you unplug and use the computer a while, it might be time for a new battery.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

While I can't specifically remember a time that a PRAM reset has ever fixed any issue I've had, at least it's a 5 second attempt that doesn't cause any issues. I tend to start with PRAM, then SMC, then sacrificing a child or pet.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

GutBomb posted:

This is my current machine except I have 16gb of ram. It's still a great machine but it's reallllly heavy.

My girlfriend got a rMBP at the same time and I really regret not getting the Retina display to be honest !

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

fordan posted:

Modern Lightroom versions use the GPU for a lot of the graphics manipulation.

I'm aware, but the Intel graphics are more than good enough for that, since while it may be GPU accelerated, it's still mostly CPU and I/O constrained. At least even with my fast as balls PCIe SSD, it's always waiting on something, and I've got a dGPU. Manipulation once it gets going is relatively quick though. Nowhere near as quick as Aperture... Fuckin' Adobe.

And yeah, I wish I could take my edits too. I still have like 800 RAWs to fix up and I'm too lazy. I'll probably just keep the developed versions somewhere and call it a day.

And 800 isn't really that many... I'm just a hobbyist, pros have a lot more. drat you Apple for killing Aperture.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

BobHoward posted:

pushed by people that give bad advice (looking at you, Pivo)

If it doesn't help and that 1.5hr estimate on 94% charge is reasonably accurate when you unplug and use the computer a while, it might be time for a new battery.

Come on man, other than the fact I mixed up PRAM and SMC (I thought PRAM was where battery calibration information was stored, but I'm aware of the concept of the SMC... It was literally a daughterboard on previous Mac portables, wasn't it?), we came to the same conclusion, and basically gave the same final recommendation.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

BobHoward posted:

Didn't spot that due to reading / posting from phone, and yeah that's not right.

Neurophonic, you might want to try a SMC reset. Resetting the PRAM did nothing because 99% of the time resetting PRAM is meaningless voodoo pushed by people that give bad advice (looking at you, Pivo). SMC reset, on the other hand, is highly relevant here because if you're wondering what the hell a SMC is, it's the chip on your Mac's motherboard responsible for battery and power management (among other things). All battery information displayed by either OS X or Coconut Battery actually comes from the SMC.

It's not unknown for a SMC to become confused about the true state of a battery, so reset it and see what happens. If it doesn't help and that 1.5hr estimate on 94% charge is reasonably accurate when you unplug and use the computer a while, it might be time for a new battery.

Oh yeah I tried both at the same time because you know, standard voodoo but no joy last night. However I let it run down overnight whilst asleep and now on a fresh boot and charge it seems to be reporting 7 hours at roughly the same charge percentage so who the gently caress knows.

Will keep an eye on it for the time being and factor in a new battery buffer into my budget.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm surprised people like Aperature because I thought LR was objectively better and more liked/used.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm surprised people like Aperature because I thought LR was objectively better and more liked/used.

Neither's really objectively better. Aperture was better at dealing with your library, which can be a tedious process in Lightroom. Aperture only ran on OS X, and pro photogs don't always run Macs. Aperture is a lot faster though, and is easier to learn. They both develop your digital photos though, and Lightroom's an Adobe product, so it's pretty much industry-standard with pros.

But Aperture was a drat good alternative.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

This is my current machine except I have 16gb of ram. It's still a great machine but it's reallllly heavy.

My girlfriend got a rMBP at the same time and I really regret not getting the Retina display to be honest !

The one I'm talking about does have a retina screen. I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I checked eBay and local CL first to see what these were going for and I didn't see very many for less than $800 and mine was the lowest I found with these specs. Glad to be back on a Mac full time!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

GutBomb posted:

The one I'm talking about does have a retina screen. I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I checked eBay and local CL first to see what these were going for and I didn't see very many for less than $800 and mine was the lowest I found with these specs. Glad to be back on a Mac full time!

Ah! Whenever I hear "2012 MBP" I just assume non-retina.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GutBomb posted:

There was no 2012 13" rMBP....

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

There was no 2012 13" rMBP....

yea there was it just came out several months after the 15 inch

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ethanol posted:

yea there was it just came out several months after the 15 inch

Oh poo poo there was I forgot. I used to own one.

Anyway, the good thing about the 2012 and early 2013 rMBP's is that you can get the mSATA adapter to upgrade the SSD instead of having to buy an OEM drive for big $$$ or buying a janky and overpriced OWC drive

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 22, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

Along these lines, I'm going to want to sell my 2012 15" rMBP 8GB/256 soon. I was hoping to get $600. Does that sound reasonable?

Depends on the condition of the battery or the screen. Let me know if you end up wanting to sell it

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Morales posted:

Depends on the condition of the battery or the screen. Let me know if you end up wanting to sell it

I think the screen has one stuck pixel near the middle toward the bottom but I can't find it anymore.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)
Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024MB
Serial C02JR9WKDKQ1

Charge Information:

Charge Remaining (mAh): 7140

Fully Charged: Yes

Charging: No

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 7140

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 308

Condition: Normal

walropodes
Jan 8, 2012

Yep, looks a lot like June is when we will see new Macs:

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/03/22/new-ultra-thin-13-15-macbooks-june-july/

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just saw that. Was ready to go buy a $300 off MacBook. drat it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Ah man an ultra thin 15 mbp with the same specs as my 2015 will totally ruin me

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
All the comments are just: I don't want thin, I want ports and performance.

I bet none were typed on a blackberry or an Alienware desktop replacement though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I was hoping for a slither of news of new iMacs amongst the portables in that piece. Hopefully something will emerge at the same time at least.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

If you've ever played with a new MacBook, it's incredibly magical how thin and light it is. You honestly would not believe it's a general purpose computer, it's unlike anything you've ever seen.

But it's slow as gently caress and has a lot of problems like an awful keyboard.

Hopefully they don't give that treatment to the Pro line... I'll accept that featherweight razor-thin laptops should exist, but the Pro is already thin enough for me.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
Now I'm really conflicted about this purchase. On the one hand I just spent over 1500 euros on what is soon to be an obsolete design computer with last year's internals, on the other hand this thing is amazing and I wonder what a thinner design is going to do for the performance/durability.

I guess I'll keep this and sell it when the second gen of the new design comes out.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Pivo posted:

If you've ever played with a new MacBook, it's incredibly magical how thin and light it is. You honestly would not believe it's a general purpose computer, it's unlike anything you've ever seen.

But it's slow as gently caress and has a lot of problems like an awful keyboard.

Hopefully they don't give that treatment to the Pro line... I'll accept that featherweight razor-thin laptops should exist, but the Pro is already thin enough for me.

15" pro is still too heavy to schlep around so i'm ok if they shave off a few mm in keyboard travel

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Pivo posted:

I don't like calling you out personally on this because on the whole I think you're an entertaining poster (:glomp:), but I don't get why you jump at every opportunity to crap on a machine you don't own.

I've had the rMB as my only day-to-day machine (apart from an occasional gaming PC) for nigh on a year since release. I've used it for video editing, managing a ~10,000 item photo library, coding, taking to Apple dev conferences and even light gaming at a push. Yeah it's not a pro-level machine and you get more bang for your buck buying a rMBP, but it's far from "slow as gently caress" and I'd say sufficient for the needs of most mainstream Apple customers.

Also once you give the keyboard a proper chance it really is great - I can't stand the keyboard on my old Air now (or by similarity any MBP). The iPad Pro keyboard is a true abomination if there's any example.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I expected to wait until the summer. I'm glad the rumor is a slim redesign because I'm leaning towards the 15" but I was worried about the portability.

I've had good luck so far with Rev A Apple products. I'm ready flaws and all.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Right off the bat I think we can surmise there is no dpgu which will fit that form factor? That alone makes me ok with having the rmbp 15 but these new machines are definitely going to look and feel amazing if they take after the new man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Froist posted:

I don't like calling you out personally on this because on the whole I think you're an entertaining poster (:glomp:), but I don't get why you jump at every opportunity to crap on a machine you don't own.

It's far too expensive for its specs. Glad you enjoy yours, but even for Apple, it's underpowered. Loading a big heavy website in Safari and scrolling through it, it would lag. As a daily runabout, I'd have it if it were cheaper or if work bought it for me, but not as a personal main workhorse. I guess "slow as gently caress" was hyperbole. It's just not performant for devices in the price range, but the industrial design is freakin' amazing.

As for the keyboard, I don't like it, but I believe you that I'd get used to it.