Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Hat Thoughts posted:

e: Anyways the point isn't, like, "Anything with a brand is inherently bad" or something insane like that, just that it's sooo goofy 2 think The Lego Movie is like, pure, when the entire thing is built around what a dope toy it is for playing wtih the #fam. Get these drat Legos!! they will allow u to feel a connection with ur dad/son!! u will finally experience Family Happiness(Tolstoy) thru these sick fuckin semi-transparent fire pieces.

Nobody is saying it's "pure" I think we just appreciate it because they were able to smuggle resonant themes about childhood and parenting into what could have been a cynical lazy cash-in. You could replace the Legos with generic models or classic toys still in the box and the general theme would be the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Colonel Whitey posted:

Nobody is saying it's "pure" I think we just appreciate it because they were able to smuggle resonant themes about childhood and parenting into what could have been a cynical lazy cash-in. You could replace the Legos with generic models or classic toys still in the box and the general theme would be the same.

Toy Story tries to tackle that theme but it comes off in a different manner.

Part of it really is that Legos are unique because they're so customizable. Yeah you can do the "Mrs. Nesbit" scene from Toy Story but in general there's a lot less wiggle room for "toy cowboy" instead of "generic Lego man".

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

soapgish posted:

Bad children's humor and ugly, jittery animation the bulk of which was built around not characters but brands? Yeah, I would be shocked if any hoi polloi didn't like it.

I think we're talking about the awesome Lego movie and you seem to be talking about the hobbit.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
It may take a different form due to the nature of the specific toy being used but the function is still to deliver the theme. If it didn't resonate with you, fine, but the underlying implication from some is that anyone who liked it is a simpleton who can only process feelings through toy commercials.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Colonel Whitey posted:

It may take a different form due to the nature of the specific toy being used but the function is still to deliver the theme. If it didn't resonate with you, fine, but the underlying implication from some is that anyone who liked it is a simpleton who can only process feelings through toy commercials.

I didnt say that!!!!! That'd be rly rude

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If you dont like CYE you're basically subhuman to me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

soapgish posted:

It made me feel like I was incessantly blinking, or the filmmakers were maliciously trying to induce seizures in people. Get it?! The blocks are blocky and so the animation is too!! Not good. By that logic the movie should have been five hours long because the people making the decisions are slow.

It's supposed to look like Stop Motion. Which is what every kid with a video camera does with their Lego.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqEmpik8Z8E

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The effect was so good I was convinced it was stop motion my initial viewing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I learned how to shoot and edit movies thanks to corporate plastic products. Toys are special and important. They help children grow (or not).

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

What kind of child ever learned anything playing with toys *heh* *snort* *scoff*

Electromax
May 6, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

It's supposed to look like Stop Motion. Which is what every kid with a video camera does with their Lego.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqEmpik8Z8E

Cute.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was pretty adorable. I love homemade lego movies. They're super creative with how they do their effects. You can tell it's a kid doing it because an adult would just throw it up into After Effects and it'll look like everything else out there.

The little paper bits for Scarlet Witch's powers :3:

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Goddamn Avengers 2 is bad.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

porfiria posted:

My big evil plan is to have my army of disposable bots, who none of you have struggled with, fighting all of you together!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Avengers 2 is a fun romp that is ultimately pointless in the grand scheme of the MCU, save for giving us Vision and Scarlet Witch.

Agents of SHIELD is cool too.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

porfiria posted:

I recently watched Avengers 2 out of curiosity (big mistake) The thing that surprised me most was just the unbelievably lackluster sound design. For a supposedly big fun action romp involving a ton of funky robots and laser guns the sound effects were just extremely subdued. When big metaphors meet like Thor bouncing Mjolnir off Captain America's shield it's difficult to fathom not cutting loose at least a little bit from "mild gong bang."

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I don't understand this stuff but I feel like the composition isn't very good. Like nothing flows into anything else.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Avengers 2 isn't as bad as some people say on this forums (it's the internet message board effect, where everything is THE BEST or THE WORST ever), but the all CGI fight choreography, like Hulk vs Hulk Buster or Tony vs Ultron or Vision vs Ultron, is so much better than the live action choreography. The live actors are all directed in really weird ways. It is especially noticeable because of how good the choreography is in Ant-Man and Winter Solider. Or even just the CGI scene 20 minutes earlier in Ultron.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Avengers 2 isn't as bad as some people say on this forums (it's the internet message board effect, where everything is THE BEST or THE WORST ever), but the all CGI fight choreography, like Hulk vs Hulk Buster or Tony vs Ultron or Vision vs Ultron, is so much better than the live action choreography. The live actors are all directed in really weird ways. It is especially noticeable because of how good the choreography is in Ant-Man and Winter Solider. Or even just the CGI scene 20 minutes earlier in Ultron.

I don't really use hyperbole much, and Avengers 2 is at the bottom of my list of superhero films that have come out since, say, Green Lantern. I couldn't really find anything I'd say was "well done" about anything in the movie, and actual preferred the worse aspects of Avengers 1, as that at least became fascinating.

As a comparison, X-Men Last Stand, while directed like total poo poo, had an excellent, excellent score, 2 or 3 good scenes, and at least had a few excellent actors in there doing the best they could with the material.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
I don't think it's necessarily the result of internet-age exaggeration to call Age of Ultron an ugly, stupid, incoherent dud with very few redeeming qualities. Personally, that just sounds more honest than trying to pretend it's worth anyone's 141 minutes just because the robot makes jokes. The fact that Joss Whedon considers this film intensely personal can only suggest to me he is either an extremely vacuous individual or an android.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The most telling thing about AoU is that, while I've heard a lot of people call it genuinely terrible, I'm yet to encounter anyone who thinks it's great. The strongest positive reaction I've heard is "yeah, it was okay"

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Snowman_McK posted:

The most telling thing about AoU is that, while I've heard a lot of people call it genuinely terrible, I'm yet to encounter anyone who thinks it's great. The strongest positive reaction I've heard is "yeah, it was okay"

Actually, I believe you'll find that someone on this very subforum claimed that "the tension was nigh-unbearable" and "the quips were on point."

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

porfiria posted:

I don't understand this stuff but I feel like the composition isn't very good. Like nothing flows into anything else.

If there is one set in the movie I really hated because of this it was Tony Stark's penthouse. The background is loaded with tons of extraneous lines in the forms of girders and railing and stairways; the ceiling even has rafters which also form some real fun diagonal lines. I watched a clip of the scene where everyone was trying to lift Mjolnir off the table and it ultimately results in the background turning into just a blurred jumble of lines going every way whenever the shot wasn't directed towards the ceiling and even than almost never actually emphasizing the movement in the scene.

I'm not particularly knowledgeable about composition and framing myself but I think that set was just such an aggressive stinker it was hard not to notice.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
AoU is an extremely okay movie in the most literal sense. It has a couple very good points, a couple very bad points, and many many minutes of okay.

People are crazy to say it is one of the worst movies ever or unwatchable, but it is definitely near the bottom of the pile of the MCU and the lower half of modern comic movies.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

"yeah it's okay" is the best description of Age of Ultron

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"AGE OF ULTRON: It exists."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Detective Dog Dick posted:

Actually, I believe you'll find that someone on this very subforum claimed that "the tension was nigh-unbearable" and "the quips were on point."

I think about "nigh-unbearable tension" from time to time and you just reminded me of where its from.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
ULTRON: Iron man you have poopy pants and I hate you.

“Is it perfect? It is not,” said Whedon. “Is it me? It's so baldly, nakedly me. To do something that is as personal as this movie is — on that budget, for a studio that needs a summer tentpole — is an extraordinary privilege.”

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

porfiria posted:

I'm the only person in the entire world that liked this movie.

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I liked it, it's not a good movie and is very jumbled at points but i liked it.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

“Is it perfect? It is not,” said Whedon. “Is it me? It's so baldly, nakedly me. To do something that is as personal as this movie is — on that budget, for a studio that needs a summer tentpole — is an extraordinary privilege.”

I honestly have no idea how to even begin processing that.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

"Unlike some other hypothetical movies I could name, it exists and you can watch it. Take that, movies that have never left someone's imagination.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
AOU was enjoyable and I'd watch the party scenes again for the character interaction but the rest of it...mehhhhhhhhhhhhh

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

I said come in! posted:

I will, till the day I die, argue for Age of Ultron's mediocracy

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

AoU is an extremely okay movie in the most literal sense. It has a couple very good points, a couple very bad points, and many many minutes of okay.

People are crazy to say it is one of the worst movies ever or unwatchable, but it is definitely near the bottom of the pile of the MCU and the lower half of modern comic movies.

Yeah. This is my view too. It was just kind of.... well, I wouldn't necessarily say boring, but it was just... there. It just exists and doesn't really do anything.

Even if we're looking at it as part of the whole MCU, it doesn't add anything to the narrative. I know SMG always talks about the modular nature of the MCU, but this one was completely disposable.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
There's a couple of good scenes in AoU but it's mostly just forgettable poo poo.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. This is my view too. It was just kind of.... well, I wouldn't necessarily say boring, but it was just... there. It just exists and doesn't really do anything.

Even if we're looking at it as part of the whole MCU, it doesn't add anything to the narrative. I know SMG always talks about the modular nature of the MCU, but this one was completely disposable.

There're three things the movie did. It gave us new avengers, it explained the departure of Thor, Hulk, and Ironman, and it set up some more destruction for Civil War to feed off of.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

HIJK posted:

AOU was enjoyable and I'd watch the party scenes again for the character interaction but the rest of it...mehhhhhhhhhhhhh

EXCELSioorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

This is more than I can bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

I should feel sorry for Joss after all the stress that it took to make the film, but then again a lot of it was self inflicted

• Locked thread