Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
heynamman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

He bitched one time on I4H about H&M not being picked up and he's been backpeddling ever since
Backpedalling in what way?

I remember him cracking jokes about his podcast being turned down by Earwolf - but it seemed pretty clear even to him that it was because he had no actual specific pitch. "It's just me and I have people on and we talk about whatever I feel like talking about that week, like taco bell".

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box
Now that was a good show.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Funny as gently caress.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
And now some international news:

Unfunny Finnish improv comedian (who also makes awful music) Roope Salminen has a new TV show which seems to be a rather poo poo knockoff of Between Two Ferns. I really hope Scotty 2hotty gets a kickback from this shitshow.

Here's a trailer. You won't understand a word of it but you can see what's up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIigWrkF0tI

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
If you skipped the Mac Wheldon ad go back and listen to it immediately

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just started this ep. Skipped the ad seconds ago. I went back to listen to it. rear end in a top hat.

e: unless there's a second ad...

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
It's the third ad break. It's done live.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

GobiasIndustries posted:

Also his High & Mighty podcast. I really, really wish he would plan out talking points, or do any sort of background research/review, or let his guests loving talk for more than 10 seconds at a time, though. Today's episode was especially bad as a huge Banshee fan.

That's like saying you love Led Zeppelin but wish Jimmy Page would stop with all those dang solos.

Arm_Fruit
Jul 1, 2013

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

That's like saying you love Led Zeppelin but wish Jimmy Page would stop with all those dang solos.

Drums!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

As long as there is a lot of reverb.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Gargamel Gibson posted:

And now some international news:

Unfunny Finnish improv comedian (who also makes awful music) Roope Salminen has a new TV show which seems to be a rather poo poo knockoff of Between Two Ferns. I really hope Scotty 2hotty gets a kickback from this shitshow.

Here's a trailer. You won't understand a word of it but you can see what's up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIigWrkF0tI

Hyi helvetti mitä paskaa.

In non-moonspeak poasting, the live ep loving ruled. RULED. Kroll especially.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Eel hovercraft posted:

Hyi helvetti mitä paskaa.

Yikes, I komppaan.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Pussy's paleo. Eat up, papi!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

anotherone posted:

If you skipped the Mac Wheldon ad go back and listen to it immediately

PFT's been doing those Mack Weldon spots for a while on Spont. They're funny AND effective - I want to buy some of their goddamn anti-microbial underwear to show my support for continuing to let him work blue.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Nah I just want him to be successful. A little more structure would make the podcast much more enjoyable, and I enjoy it a lot already.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Very silly ep today. I very much enjoyed it.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Yeah, you can't go wrong with Brittain and Killam. Though to be fair the ads were probably the funniest part.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Yeah, you can't go wrong with Brittain and Killam. Though to be fair the ads were probably the funniest part.

Ya the ep really never found it's hook. The pouting was...a good bit, it just never went anywhere.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Sean and Hayes are the best. I'm surprised there isn't a Hollywood Handbook thread.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If you ever look at the HH forum on earwolf you will see it's probably for the best that we don't have a thread for it

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

im like a hundred eps into hh and my favourite ep is still the negotiation ep with scott

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I didn't like this episode much but I did like the ads with Sean and Hayes.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

I didn't like this episode much but I did like the ads with Sean and Hayes.

Same

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

The Berzerker posted:

I did like Sean and Hayes.

FTFY. Hayes & Sean are the best.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
The Sean and Hayes ad is right around 31 min in if anyone wants to get right to it like I did.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Borrowed Ladder posted:

The Sean and Hayes ad is right around 31 min in if anyone wants to get right to it like I did.

Don't forget the 2nd commercial break @ 1:02:00-ish!

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I thought this was a perfectly fine ep but yeah the ads were so much better that it was disappointing each time they ended and went back to the actual show.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
We have some official numbers for Earwolf downloads from this article:
http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2016/03/18/podcasting-giant-woos-potential-advertisers-with.html

quote:

"How Did This Get Made" pulls in about 350,000 downloads per episode, while "Comedy Bang! Bang!" has about 250,000 downloads per episode, according to Erik Deihn, vice president of business development at Midroll Media. That's good enough to keep those two podcasts firmly in the upper echelon of Apple Inc.’s top podcast chart. Earwolf’s core properties bring in around 10 million downloads per month.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't know anything about business but that whole Scripps deal being worth $50 million is kind of insane

Maybe I should've listened to Seth Godin's Startup School after all

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

And to think Cyber Thug could have been on the ground floor.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

By my math that's about 1.9 million downloads per episode for Hollywood Handbook

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

That's my problem with Kroll Show. Watching stupid, annoying people on a reality show and watching someone play a fake stupid, annoying person on a fake reality show is no different to me.

A lot of people in the industry say they don't have much energy to watch dramatic or comedic TV and end up watching a lot of reality shows where they can just turn off their brains. I think it's why we have an epidemic of fake reality TV these days.

Kroll Show was a treasure and you are wrong.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't know anything about business but that whole Scripps deal being worth $50 million is kind of insane

Snapchat was valued at billions of dollars.

Twitter is 10 years old and has received billions in venture capital, guess how much profit it makes?

$50 million is actually really low for the (probably soon to end) investment train that's been going on. At least Midroll has a chance of sprouting in to an actual business eventually.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

If you told me that Scott Auckerman makes $1,000,000 per year on the podcast I would believe you. I would also believe you if you said he made $5,000 a year. I have absolutely no concept of how the business of podcasting works.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

piratepilates posted:

Snapchat was valued at billions of dollars.

Twitter is 10 years old and has received billions in venture capital, guess how much profit it makes?

$50 million is actually really low for the (probably soon to end) investment train that's been going on. At least Midroll has a chance of sprouting in to an actual business eventually.

I agree. $50 million is super low in this era for a business with a legit, simple old school business model: Build audience, sell ads to audience.

I feel like Scott's the kind of person who doesn't care about holding out for way more and selling when the time's right. He just felt it was a great deal that would give him financial freedom and ensure Earwolf had capital. I don't know how much Legendary bought Nerdist for in 2012, but I guarantee you Chris Hardwick is a very wealthy man. Legendary itself was just sold to a Chinese mogul for $3.5 billion.

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 23, 2016

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Hardwick's a rich man because he has Singled Out money, Nerdist Money, @Midnight Money, and he's marrying an heiress. He's gonna have megaman tees for a looooooooooong time

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
2 CBB questions for you:

Whats the episode of the TV show where there's a comedian who outshines the guest by doing all corny observational humor and mugging for the camera and poo poo? It was someone I know, and the guest was someone I know, but I can't remember either person and I can't recall enough of the plot to get it from the synopses.

What was the podcast episode with the Aussie gal who kept talking over Scoot and kept being like "yeah you're the host now but oi moight be taking over soon mate" and would correct him when he called her his guest instead of co-host - this was within the last year or maybe 2.

HELP.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Claudia O'Dougherty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

feedmyleg posted:

Claudia O'Dougherty.

lol thanks, I'm listening to her episode from September and she's great.