Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It has been nothing but ruin and misery, getting worse and worse every day, since Larches left. But what are the chances they STILL don't fire the CE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

larchesdanrew posted:

Bonus schadenfreude: After I left, no one was left to babysit them.

They're all dead, Jim. All of them.

:jackbud:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

MrMojok posted:

It has been nothing but ruin and misery, getting worse and worse every day, since Larches left. But what are the chances they STILL don't fire the CE?

I've run the numbers, and accounting for any sort of variant behavior that hasn't been reported to me since I left, I end up calculating 100% chance that he won't be fired.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I didn't think CEs got tenure, but here we are.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
A cryptolocker came in! I've already fixed the hole it come in the mail filter* through, and I'm restoring from good backups. However, people are pissed off because:
A: Nobody saves to their own folder, so it's all in the shared folders tons of people have access to.
B: I only run backups on weekends because our poo poo is out of date and janky poo poo, so they lose a day and a half worth of stuff.

Still, this is definitely not what I wanted to deal with right now.

* It was set to block executables and scripts, but by default .js doesn't count for those. Fuckers.
Also, every other case of it was being dropped before it was scanned due to a forged sender, but the user in question somehow had 'c' in the whitelist, which made the email go through.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 22, 2016

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

larchesdanrew posted:

Best I can figure is that every computer has a central file server net shared to them. But the stupidest loving part is that nearly every computer is also net shared to the file server for some godforsaken reason.

I'm going off of reports from my insider, but he says that every computer they've tried has something encrypted.

I really want to see this in person. They called me and I could hear the GM raging in the background about "that worthless motherfucker" and I"m equally amused for that to be referring to the CE or me.

I would assume they're just opening the same network folder on every PC and going yup they got this one too. How could one random user's PC somehow have write access to every file on every other PC?

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

I'm crying with laughter. Being non-IT this thread has been quite the trip to read. First Dick Trauma. Then blackswordca, now larches providing the amazing details. This is why I love SA.

Semi related, our IT guy caught 4 different crypto emails today, they're getting smarter. No misspellings, proper punctuation, and its from a source we've gotten proper emails from before (meaning they got hit hard if it trawled their address book and sent believable info). Only caught it cause it was a .docx attachment, which that person had never sent us before.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
This is the type of thing I read this thread for. It is pure gold.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

bucksmash posted:

I'm crying with laughter. Being non-IT this thread has been quite the trip to read. First Dick Trauma. Then blackswordca, now larches providing the amazing details. This is why I love SA.

Semi related, our IT guy caught 4 different crypto emails today, they're getting smarter. No misspellings, proper punctuation, and its from a source we've gotten proper emails from before (meaning they got hit hard if it trawled their address book and sent believable info). Only caught it cause it was a .docx attachment, which that person had never sent us before.
At this point, I would imagine that crypto ransom infections have a payroll of mostly component people to build the emails and figure out who to target.

Crypto ransomware is an interesting situation given the current contention over encryption. If the gov't got the back door then ransomware wouldn't be a thing... Er wait no thats stupid, the attacker would just pick an encyption method that doesn't have the back door.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Why couldn't Mississippi have their primaries today instead of a few weeks ago?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

KoRMaK posted:

At this point, I would imagine that crypto ransom infections have a payroll of mostly component people to build the emails and figure out who to target.

Crypto ransomware is an interesting situation given the current contention over encryption. If the gov't got the back door then ransomware wouldn't be a thing... Er wait no thats stupid, the attacker would just pick an encyption method that doesn't have the back door.

Doesn't the government have a backdoor into almost all encryption, since the NSA had a hand in building the entropy generator everyone uses and the built in some kind of asymmetric weakness allowing them to crack it relatively easily?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

RFC2324 posted:

Doesn't the government have a backdoor into almost all encryption, since the NSA had a hand in building the entropy generator everyone uses and the built in some kind of asymmetric weakness allowing them to crack it relatively easily?

TBH that sounds like the kind of thing the "gub'ment tracking everything we do!" nutcases would come up with.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Malachite_Dragon posted:

TBH that sounds like the kind of thing the "gub'ment tracking everything we do!" nutcases would come up with.

Looked it up, its just a flaw in RSA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_number_generator_attack#Possible_Backdoor_in_Elliptical_Curve_DRBG_Encryption

e: and an email from the dude who actually worked on the entropy pool for linux, and quit over it being compromised: https://cryptome.org/2013/07/intel-bed-nsa.htm

RFC2324 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 23, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Considering the Snowden leaks, that sounds like something they would do if they had the opportunity.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

larchesdanrew posted:

The whole television station got cryptowalled.

Every computer.

Every server.

Every.

Thing.

Is encrypted.

There are no backups.

CE ignored his phone ringing all morning and had no clue. He walked into a shitstorm.

The station is crippled and it's all his fault.

He's apparently blaming me.

nielsm posted:

Meanwhile we also had a crypto attack coming in today. Everything was quickly contained, warnings were sent to all users, and backups were restored. No significant damage, just some extra support burden on reimaging any desktops infected.

The contrast here is just beautiful.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I

no

I

what

This is all too beautiful for words. Karmic retribution is a wonderful thing.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
A good Ether-Blast ought to fry that virus and crack open the encryption!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You really can't call them nutcases if they were right.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Hungry Computer posted:

A good Ether-Blast ought to fry that virus and crack open the encryption!

The possibility of being blamed for this CryptoBlast is why larches should never walk back into that place.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

uPen posted:

You really can't call them nutcases if they were right.

I can and will when they spout on about tracking chips and mind-control waves being beamed into our brains.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

RFC2324 posted:

Looked it up, its just a flaw in RSA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_number_generator_attack#Possible_Backdoor_in_Elliptical_Curve_DRBG_Encryption

e: and an email from the dude who actually worked on the entropy pool for linux, and quit over it being compromised: https://cryptome.org/2013/07/intel-bed-nsa.htm

There have also been rumblings in the crypto world that ECC encryption could potentially be NSA influenced, but there's no proof. The comments in this post are a decent discussion: https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2013/11/elliptic_curve.html

E: hurf durf that's what your first link states.

deimos fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 23, 2016

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The NSA definitely did backdoor DUAL_EC_DRBG but it's only one of many PRNG's one can use. It's also not the whole of elliptic curve crypto that they backdoored, rather they used ECC to backdoor a PRNG.

e: also if the US government or any other for that matter had a backdoor in the crypto used by cryptoware, do you really think they'd use that to help small businesses decrypt their poo poo?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Wow, lots of people one-upping me with crypto horror stories, not in the least of which larches. :aaa:

I just asked the sysadmin point blank who was patient zero, but he won't say. I'm sure he/she got ridiculed by their peers though. I'm fairly sure it was marketing

spankmeister posted:

The NSA definitely did backdoor DUAL_EC_DRBG but it's only one of many PRNG's one can use. It's also not the whole of elliptic curve crypto that they backdoored, rather they used ECC to backdoor a PRNG.

It's the default one though, I thought.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Merijn posted:

It's the default one though, I thought.

Default for what?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

:allears:

I'm really glad that I'm not in a position where I have to deal with Crypto crap.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

spankmeister posted:

Default for what?

Somewhere in 2004, RSA made DUAL_EC_DRBG the default in BSAFE. Reuters did a story on it, though RSA denies colluding with the NSA.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Cryptowall is a good measuring stick for how competent your IT dept is. If a user catches it and has significant data loss, that's a problem. If a user catches it and trashes the network shares and there are no backups, that's a very large problem. If a user catches it and the IT admin is larche's CE, break out the pencils and paper because technology has failed

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Merijn posted:

I just asked the sysadmin point blank who was patient zero, but he won't say. I'm sure he/she got ridiculed by their peers though. I'm fairly sure it was marketing
I told everyone who it was because the week after it happened the company board sent down a message that basically blamed IT processes for it and directed that we had to demonstrate we were meeting "industry standard threat response actions", which resulted in a huge amount of paperwork and server reconfiguration with user impacts just to overcompensate for the fact that it was the chairman of the loving board who had infected the entire network and lied to IT about it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
"Wow the IT ticket thread sure was busy last night I wonder if I missed anything go--"

larchesdanrew posted:

:laffo: I would call bullsht on this but this is the kind of stuff that is just so far outside the realms of normal that you can't make it up

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

A cryptolocker came in! I've already fixed the hole it come in the mail filter* through, and I'm restoring from good backups. However, people are pissed off because:
A: Nobody saves to their own folder, so it's all in the shared folders tons of people have access to.
B: I only run backups on weekends because our poo poo is out of date and janky poo poo, so they lose a day and a half worth of stuff.

Still, this is definitely not what I wanted to deal with right now.

* It was set to block executables and scripts, but by default .js doesn't count for those. Fuckers.
Also, every other case of it was being dropped before it was scanned due to a forged sender, but the user in question somehow had 'c' in the whitelist, which made the email go through.

Please run weekend full backups and nightly incremental. My full takes 6 hours to run, my incrementals take all of 15 minutes. If your software doesn't support incremental backups please get new software it is garbage.

There is no reason to be losing over 24 hours worth of work because your hardware is garbage. If you can run a full on weekends you should be able to only backup the changes without an issue nightly.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So Larches, was the news program last night done by candle light with shadow puppets for fly in graphics?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Kurieg posted:

So Larches, was the news program last night done by candle light with shadow puppets for fly in graphics?

Nah, they spent the afternoon rebuilding all their graphics from scratch.

then they put them back on the infected server

:siren:UPDATE FROM LAST NIGHT:siren:

Driving home, the GM from the TV station called me.

I explained to him what crypto is and what their options were. My suggestion was to do an emergency shut down for a day or so while CE does some serious damage control. He scoffed and said they can't afford to shut down completely. My favorite part:

:mad: What's a bitcoin and how much is it?
:smug: It depends on the going rate, which changes constantly, but anywhere from $300-500 per coin. If it's an older variant on the virus, there's a chance it can be decrypted.
:mad: Christ on a cracker! Who the gently caress knows how to decrypt them?
:smug: I do.
:mad: And how much would you charge to do that? $300-500?
:smug: Not even close.
:mad: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I'll call you back.

Turns out, they FILLED OUT A loving POLICE REPORT AND THE CITY IT GUY IS COMING IN TO FIX THEIR COMPUTERS.

Guess what he told them? Shut down for a day or so and do damage control. They're lauding his suggestion and singing his praises.

:siren:CE Report:siren:
CE apparently took nearly all the computers out of the newsroom without telling anyone and started the laborious process of restoring system images one at a time from a USB external drive. Reports are that he just sat in his office staring blankly at the desktop of his computer for over an hour, and then just stood up and left. Like, got in his car and drove the gently caress away.

No one has heard from him since, and everything is still hosed.

He didn't even clear the infection from the graphics server that they are still using.

He's still blaming this entire thing on me. I find this hilarious, because I've got copies of emails warning about this very situation that I sent to both GM and CE. I've got GPO suggestions, Firewall suggestions, Upgrade procedures, PO requests, everything related to Cryptowall prevention.

I believe the words used in response were "chicken little."

I can't quit laughing, guys.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 23, 2016

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

I can't quit laughing, guys.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
So glad I checked up on the thread because

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

larchesdanrew posted:

I explained to him what crypto is and what their options were. My suggestion was to do an emergency shut down for a day or so while CE does some serious damage control. He scoffed and said they can't afford to shut down completely. My favorite part:

:mad: What's a bitcoin and how much is it?
:smug: It depends on the going rate, which changes constantly, but anywhere from $300-500 per coin. If it's an older variant on the virus, there's a chance it can be decrypted.
:mad: Christ on a cracker! Who the gently caress knows how to decrypt them?
:smug: I do.
:smug: Not even close.
:mad: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I'll call you back.

Turns out, they FILLED OUT A loving POLICE REPORT AND THE CITY IT GUY IS COMING IN TO FIX THEIR COMPUTERS.

Guess what he told them? Shut down for a day or so and do damage control. They're lauding his suggestion and singing his praises.
Well of course hes cooperating with the police, they tend to get mad if you demand things of them and don't do what they ask.

Also: How did the graphics work if the server was Crypto'd? Were they throwing up ransom notes with every story?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

It's almost adorable how naive the GM is.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Crypto'd? Were they throwing up ransom notes with every story?

That would be awesome!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

CE apparently took nearly all the computers out of the newsroom without telling anyone and started the laborious process of restoring system images one at a time from a USB external drive. Reports are that he just sat in his office staring blankly at the desktop of his computer for over an hour, and then just stood up and left. Like, got in his car and drove the gently caress away.

No one has heard from him since, and everything is still hosed.

He didn't even clear the infection from the graphics server that they are still using.

He's still blaming this entire thing on me. I find this hilarious, because I've got copies of emails warning about this very situation that I sent to both GM and CE. I've got GPO suggestions, Firewall suggestions,

How is this real?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

*snip*

I may be misunderstanding, but apparently the GM is a dick too.

• Locked thread