Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

bringmyfishback posted:

Well, the fish have to eat SOMETHING.

And so do we!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I'm heading over for a holiday and I'm going to be there for a month. I am also going with a tour group, so my likelihood of starving to death is low, and all the logistics of transport is sorted. Still, I'm taking my Android smartphone and I'd like to have some basic translation capability, but Pleco seems far more heavyweight than I'd like to use. It also seems to assume I know how to type in Chinese characters into my phone.

If I set up a VPN before I go, could I just get away with Google translate? Is the list of VPNs in the OP still considered good? I hope to make use of either Google Drive or Microsoft's OneDrive (I have heaps of storage there for some reason) to backup my photos to if I can, just to preserve them in case of catastrophe, any VPNs particularly good with large uploads? Is live.com even blocked in China?

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

NZAmoeba posted:

I'm heading over for a holiday and I'm going to be there for a month. I am also going with a tour group, so my likelihood of starving to death is low, and all the logistics of transport is sorted. Still, I'm taking my Android smartphone and I'd like to have some basic translation capability, but Pleco seems far more heavyweight than I'd like to use. It also seems to assume I know how to type in Chinese characters into my phone.

If I set up a VPN before I go, could I just get away with Google translate? Is the list of VPNs in the OP still considered good? I hope to make use of either Google Drive or Microsoft's OneDrive (I have heaps of storage there for some reason) to backup my photos to if I can, just to preserve them in case of catastrophe, any VPNs particularly good with large uploads? Is live.com even blocked in China?

The VPN's in the OP suck. Currently all the VPNs in zhong-guo suck. The only one's I'd recommend now are ExpressVPN, Astrill and VyprVPN. Don't worry about usage or bandwidth limits, you're unlikely to ever hit them. Bing and live.com work as expected here.

Google translate is awesome, but you'll need a VPN to use it. Microsoft Translator also exists.

When you're on tour, visiting the jade factories, silk factories, recommended restaurants, etc. make sure you buy something in each place, or you're likely to be scolded, insulted and further trips cancelled.

Hong Kong is awesome. You should definitely visit there.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Trammel posted:

The VPN's in the OP suck. Currently all the VPNs in zhong-guo suck. The only one's I'd recommend now are ExpressVPN, Astrill and VyprVPN. Don't worry about usage or bandwidth limits, you're unlikely to ever hit them. Bing and live.com work as expected here.

Google translate is awesome, but you'll need a VPN to use it. Microsoft Translator also exists.

When you're on tour, visiting the jade factories, silk factories, recommended restaurants, etc. make sure you buy something in each place, or you're likely to be scolded, insulted and further trips cancelled.

Hong Kong is awesome. You should definitely visit there.

Thanks! I'll give one of those a shot.

And holy crap that tour guide article. Fortunately I'm going with G Adventures, who I travelled with in South America previously, they're legit. But I see that enforced shopping stuff from Chinese tour companies here in New Zealand as well, there's a souvenir shop across the street from my office, which is practically in the middle of a warehouse district with no reason why anyone would wander past there. But every day when I leave the office there's a bus parked outside full of bored looking tourists while a few people inside buy massively overpriced wool and honey products.

I don't think they even open for regular trade, they just open shortly before the bus arrives.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

You don't need a VPN to use http://translate.google.cn/

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

That's awesome, I never knew it existed. I wish the Android app used that as well, it just times out for me.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Trammel posted:

That's awesome, I never knew it existed. I wish the Android app used that as well, it just times out for me.

It does have an offline feature where you can download the chinese library and use that, but that doesn't support the image recognition feature when in offline mode

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

MS stuff all works pretty well here, so One Drive is gonna be a lot easier and faster than Google Drive for the most part. Even if your VPN works it'll be slower/unstable, so it's probably not worth using google docs to upload a ton of stuff unless you really have to.

They actually have some servers here so one drive can sometimes be spooky fast. If you're on Android the Pleco version there is p good to have, it's generally a little better for individual words (on menus/etc) than google translate or other machine translations. Their OCR is super nice but ofc it costs a lot.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Trammel posted:

The VPN's in the OP suck. Currently all the VPNs in zhong-guo suck. The only one's I'd recommend now are ExpressVPN, Astrill and VyprVPN.

Seconding ExpressVPN, it's what I used when on the mainland this past December. Depending on how long you'll be there, I might recommend signing up for a few different VPN services as they often offer a 2 - 4 week free trial/return period and they tend to go up and down constantly as far as being usable goes. Express does have the notable feature of having a website that is accessible while in China though.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

The last month has been a real bad time for VPNs. I've heard that Astrill, Express and Vypr have been down intermittently/all the time depending on your luck. I'd go with Astril or Express just because they're cheaper than Vypr generally is so you won't be out too much if it doesn't work.

On that, Astril has the worst customer service ever so it might be best to just stick to Express since they don't just insult their customers when the service doesn't work.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Astrill has been working OK in my office, but it's been 100% completely blocked at home for almost a month. Express VPN works poorly everywhere for me but at least it works.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

fart simpson posted:

Astrill has been working OK in my office, but it's been 100% completely blocked at home for almost a month. Express VPN works poorly everywhere for me but at least it works.

same computer? if its a different computer try restoring astrill to factory settings: Help > restore

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Different computers. I'll try that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Hmm it works now, thanks

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
How's the wifi and mobile data situation in China, esp in Shanghai? How much is ~10gb of data on a prepaid SIM?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Ragingsheep posted:

How's the wifi and mobile data situation in China, esp in Shanghai? How much is ~10gb of data on a prepaid SIM?

Most restaurants/cafes/etc have wifi but you'll need 3/4G if you want consistent access. Checked the Unicom website (the Good 4G which will work with most p much all non-CN phones) and it's about 100rmb per GB.

On this, has anyone used Snail mobile abroad? A 2GB 4G US Sim from them is only 130rmb which is way cheaper than anything else I've seen and is plenty for the like week and a half I'm in the country.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Magna Kaser posted:

Most restaurants/cafes/etc have wifi but you'll need 3/4G if you want consistent access. Checked the Unicom website (the Good 4G which will work with most p much all non-CN phones) and it's about 100rmb per GB.

Thanks. Looks like it's not much different than just using SIM card on roaming for me.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Magna Kaser posted:

On this, has anyone used Snail mobile abroad? A 2GB 4G US Sim from them is only 130rmb which is way cheaper than anything else I've seen and is plenty for the like week and a half I'm in the country.

Snail mobile? That looks better than anything I'll get once I arrive in the US

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

fart simpson posted:

Snail mobile? That looks better than anything I'll get once I arrive in the US

http://mall.snail.com/item/355-0-0.html

Apparently they just re-sell Ultra Mobile which is one of the prepaid data services. The service map seems p OK if you're sticking to more populated areas/the east coast.

e: actually you can't buy from that site now for some reason :smith:

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 24, 2016

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Sounds good already compared to T-Mobile

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Magna Kaser posted:

I saw a vending machine in the Guangzhou airport with these SIM cards for several different countries. But not China. They seemed relatively inexpensive.

What's my best bet on China Unicom for two weeks? Something like 250mb+.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I forgot to ask, when I get to Beijing, I'll have a couple days to fill before my tour begins. My tour will be covering off things like the great wall, forbidden city, and tianamen square etc, but what else would you recommend I check out on my own? (Or potentially with other tour members I manage to bump into at the starting hotel).

I'll be staying in a very central location near the Chongwenmen Metro station.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The National Museum is awesome. I didn't go to see the Summer Palace or military museum but have heard good things.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

NZAmoeba posted:

I forgot to ask, when I get to Beijing, I'll have a couple days to fill before my tour begins. My tour will be covering off things like the great wall, forbidden city, and tianamen square etc, but what else would you recommend I check out on my own? (Or potentially with other tour members I manage to bump into at the starting hotel).

Summer Palace is likely on your list but if it isn't, it's my favorite of all the obvious sites.

The art district is pretty cool. I forgot its name.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

a7m2 posted:

Summer Palace is likely on your list but if it isn't, it's my favorite of all the obvious sites.

The art district is pretty cool. I forgot its name.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Kill me in the rear end.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

fart simpson posted:

Kill me in the rear end.

Neg hole status: pozzed.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

yes 798 art zone thanks

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

NZAmoeba posted:

There's a shopping district near the forbidden city that's interesting to go look around. There's one alleyway in particular that the fiance said was a well known tourist trap (REALLY cheap crap, X on a stick, so on and so forth), but it was interesting. I'm sure someone here knows which one I'm talking about. The Summer Place is neat to go walk around as well, especially if it's not frozen over and smoggy as hell like it was when we went.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

NZAmoeba posted:

come to Tianjin and get drunk with me and forums user The Worst Muslim

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The Great Autismo! posted:

come to Tianjin and get drunk with me and forums user The Worst Muslim

How are the starbucks there?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

XyrlocShammypants posted:

p good

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

todays my last day at work before my vacation and im feeling incredibly stressed out

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

XyrlocShammypants posted:

there's a chain called hao li lai (好利来) which sells awful sugary bread that no foreigner would ever want to eat, but they also make coffee drinks like latte and cappucino etc., and it tastes slightly better than starbucks for just under half the price. there's also rarely a wait

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

angel opportunity posted:

there's a chain called hao li lai (好利来) which sells awful sugary bread that no foreigner would ever want to eat, but they also make coffee drinks like latte and cappucino etc., and it tastes slightly better than starbucks for just under half the price. there's also rarely a wait

:fistbump:

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
This summer, I'm planning on a trip to Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Japan. I'm hoping to work in a brief stop in Shanghai between Hong Kong and Fukuoka- does anyone have experience with the 72 hour transit visa? I've read up on it, but I've had border security stop me in SE Asia until a bribe was conferred, even though my visa poo poo was in order. Is planning a stopover of a couple of days in Shanghai actually advisable, or am I likely to get shaken down? (Or cuffed when the customs guys have no idea what I mean when I mention the transit visa?)

Is it really as simple as arriving in the airport, showing them my onward ticket to Japan, and getting my passport stamped? Or is there some insidious fine-print preparation I'll need?

edit: For clarification I am a U.S. passport holder with no criminal record.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You will be fine. I'm curious which SEA Country tried shaking you down. The only sketchy border I have been to is the Cambodian Thai border

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

caberham posted:

You will be fine. I'm curious which SEA Country tried shaking you down. The only sketchy border I have been to is the Cambodian Thai border

It was Cambodia-Vietnam.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I'm in Hong Kong this week or so and I'm sitting in my hotel room now. Where's a good place to wander around this Easter Sunday Eve?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

doomisland posted:

I'm in Hong Kong this week or so and I'm sitting in my hotel room now. Where's a good place to wander around this Easter Sunday Eve?

What hotel are you staying at?