Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I really like how you put that, Treb :) it's something similar for me, too. They're these intelligent creatures capable of reason and deduction, that solve problems, use language to communicate, and form personal relationships and family units. They demonstrate empathy, hold grudges, and learn the languages and names that are used in their presence.

Having a close personal bond with such a parallel, but, like Treb said, alien, being feels like an accomplishment or reward. They aren't domesticated like cats or dogs; they choose to have a relationship with a person that has earned their trust. And there is a depth to that relationship that is lacking with other pets or animal companions, because they can speak and communicate in a way we understand.

Also they are soft and fluffy and sometimes they're really dumb in a hilarious way.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

They're these intelligent creatures capable of reason and deduction, that solve problems, use language to communicate, and form personal relationships and family units. They demonstrate empathy, hold grudges, and learn the languages and names that are used in their presence.

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

I agree with all the eloquent things that have been said, but I'll also say that it's pretty cool sharing living space with modern day rear end in a top hat dinosaurs that can fly.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Also they are soft and fluffy and sometimes they're really dumb in a hilarious way.

this is also a factor of significant importance and i committed a grave disservice in forgetting it

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

schnickety scribe posted:

I agree with all the eloquent things that have been said, but I'll also say that it's pretty cool sharing living space with modern day rear end in a top hat dinosaurs that can fly.

Pretty much this, only with the added worry that raptors might have been able talk and understand the world around them.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

https://youtu.be/Rr2zQYC-lc0

oh my god it's the essence of parrots summed up in one video.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'd also say most of us have more than one bird because most of us own small birds so like the basic animal husbandry requirements for two tiels isn't the same as two dogs or two cats.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

blackflare posted:

hold grudges

Despite our glowing reviews, birds are assholes.

A bird person comes to terms with this eventually.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
I love birds because every single day, no matter what, they make me laugh. The fact that Max actually likes being around me is a bonus. And they have such a pleasing shape/colors.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Neddy Seagoon posted:

...to find a Cockatoo deliberately dropping pinecones onto your head from a tree branch and laughing at you.

Literally my life

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Toast has decided he loves grapes, but only if I chew them up first and fed them to him by mouth like he's a baby birb

Just to let you know, there are a lot of bacteria that live in our mouths that can dwell in the crop and cause sour or slow crop. Try mashing them up and feeding them to him without your saliva mixed in.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Literally my life

It's probably for the best that seagulls aren't pets. You want birds that actively laugh at you all day long? Come to the Gulf coast.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pile of Kittens posted:

Just to let you know, there are a lot of bacteria that live in our mouths that can dwell in the crop and cause sour or slow crop. Try mashing them up and feeding them to him without your saliva mixed in.

Also, no offense Crows Everywhere, but it's a little gross to chew up grapes for your bird when you can mash them

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Cythereal posted:

It's probably for the best that seagulls aren't pets. You want birds that actively laugh at you all day long? Come to the Gulf coast.

I made the mistake of giving a seagull at the goldcoast a chip once.
Once.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I made the mistake of giving a seagull at the goldcoast a chip once.
Once.

At least teach it to dance for its chip.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GoldStandardConure posted:

At least teach it to dance for its chip.

The Seagulls in Melbourne are very adept at snatching chips out of the air instead of letting them touch the ground. Probably to stop the Sparrows getting a shot at them.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Happy Birthday Scout!!!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

That is so adorable I could die

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
https://vine.co/v/ie3m6q5Muub

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Eejit posted:

That is so adorable I could die

My two loves :3:

mikerock fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 23, 2016

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

greypearl posted:

Pearl doesn't look at all like she's plotting something, but that's a filthy lie because she totally just took a bite out of that steak.

Also all of my friends on Facebook are forwarding me this article from the NY Times, which is particularly relevant here because they request cute videos of parrots at the end of the article. If there's one thing I know for certain it's that you all have cute videos of parrots.

submitted https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW4VPgMywBg

I hope it's cute enough :ohdear:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

I had my headphones unplugged when I opened this video and Toast hopped down from my shoulder and stared at it and puffed up until I exited out of it. Coo is so soothing that it hypnotises other birbs.

Also yeah I'll try mashing grapes instead like other fruits and veg :v: Toast seems to be a more picky eater than Bitey was and much prefers mushy food (other than his pellets and seeds). Regular cooked sweet potato is no, mashed sweet potato is yes.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Their true nature revealed...

Dothewhatnow
Jan 3, 2016
I grew up with at least 2 birds in the house at all times and I loved those feathery fiends. Despite all the random acts of assholery they were just so cute that I couldn't hold it against them for too long.

I'd get a bird of my own but my apartment complex doesn't allow any kind of bird, or much of anything else aside from cats and small dogs.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

https://vine.co/v/igUjUKPppqB

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Dothewhatnow posted:

I grew up with at least 2 birds in the house at all times and I loved those feathery fiends. Despite all the random acts of assholery they were just so cute that I couldn't hold it against them for too long.

I'd get a bird of my own but my apartment complex doesn't allow any kind of bird, or much of anything else aside from cats and small dogs.

thats ridiculous. unless you have a free roaming cockatoo or macaw or something, a cat is going to do way more damage to the property using your door frames as scratching poles, and small dogs are probably yappy and therefore just as loud + less toilet trainable and make much bigger messes. Not too mention a bird is going to be spending a lot of time in a cage or on a stand where it's shits will be contained in a tray.

Also cat and dog allergy has to be much more common than bird allergy right?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Wonder if the owner has been burned by a large bird owner before and has just put a blanket ban to be absolutely sure it won't happen again. Once read a big long rant by some student on facebook about how birds had been randomly banned from her building and it was discrimination as she was the only one with a bird and he was ever such a good cockatoo and never made a sound. Her landlord replied that A. It would not shut the gently caress up for the 12 hours a day it was alone and B. He was in the apartment below hers.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

learnincurve posted:

Wonder if the owner has been burned by a large bird owner before and has just put a blanket ban to be absolutely sure it won't happen again. Once read a big long rant by some student on facebook about how birds had been randomly banned from her building and it was discrimination as she was the only one with a bird and he was ever such a good cockatoo and never made a sound. Her landlord replied that A. It would not shut the gently caress up for the 12 hours a day it was alone and B. He was in the apartment below hers.

Yeah, it sounds like this is probably the case. That or the cockatoo chewed all the windowsills to sawdust.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Also yeah I'll try mashing grapes instead like other fruits and veg :v: Toast seems to be a more picky eater than Bitey was and much prefers mushy food (other than his pellets and seeds). Regular cooked sweet potato is no, mashed sweet potato is yes.

This (mushed food, esp if warm or from your mouth) is also likely a big contributing factor to him being hormonal and wanting to feed/bone you and your fingats btw

Mizuti posted:

Their true nature revealed...

Demon or gryphon, followed by dinosaur

Also yea

mikerock posted:

Happy Birthday Scout!!!

So cute they literally have those happy anime eyes irl :3:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Trebuchet King posted:

i can't speak for everyone, but:

what i love about birds is, at the end of the day, how alien they really are. they constantly demonstrate a level of intelligence that we just, for whatever reason, couldn't previously pick up on. having grown up constantly surrounded by all kinds of fantastic elements, from exotic wildlife to grand tales and rich folklores, to spend time with something so different and strange and still bond is just...incredibly rewarding. to say it's like living out the things I dreamed of as a little kid is less of an exaggeration than it might sound.

i mean, they make tools. they name their babies. they use syntax. they play. we don't need to be looking to the stars for first contact...just to the skies.

i like it when a baby bird that doesnt know any better comes down for a feed

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Battle Pigeon posted:

This (mushed food, esp if warm or from your mouth) is also likely a big contributing factor to him being hormonal and wanting to feed/bone you and your fingats btw

Demon or gryphon, followed by dinosaur

Also yea

So cute they literally have those happy anime eyes irl :3:

He will have to man up and eat regular cooked food then instead of mushy paste for baby birbs :saddowns: (Or rather, I will have to persuade him to eat proper.)

This weekend Toast is staying with Skellybones, his god-uncle, while I visit relatives and listen to communism in Melbourne. He has adequate supplies of sunnies and jingly balls to keep him occupied. The pair will have fun bonding (by which I mean Toast will have fun biting fingats).

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I assume normal birbs can scratch their own heads without much issue, but this is the only position Inko can do it in, and he was so into it he didn't care about the camera

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Skillet is absolutely cute enough. The only problem is how are you not cuddling him/her all the time? How do you stop?

Battle Pigeon posted:

I assume normal birbs can scratch their own heads without much issue, but this is the only position Inko can do it in, and he was so into it he didn't care about the camera

Goofy birbs are best birbs :3:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have been shopping :D Cages getting a complete revamp with all sorts of different toys and swings and perches. All of which Thor will ignore because he's also getting a bell and Thor likes a bell.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

cute birbs on this page :kimchi: and yes the conure anime happy eyes are the best.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Ya'll make me want a conure really bad :3:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
My GCC birb needs new toys since literally none of hers made it from SC. Looking at putting together an order from MySafeBirdStore, anyone have recommendations for toys for their green cheeks? She is super cuddly and probably needs some logic puzzle type things.

Also if anyone has any recommendations for a free standing stand she can sit on, I'd love that. Right now we've got a day and night cage, but she doesn't really have a way to be near me during the day when she can't be on me (like when I'm working).

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I got out of my house a couple hours ago and there was a parrot on my porch with 2 cats staring right at it with murderous intentions, when he saw me he started speaking and I lowered my hand down to the ground and he climbed, he knew he was about to become cat food, I went around the neighborhood because I assumed he had escaped from one of my neighbors and sure enough there was an empty cage 5 houses from mine. I'm sure that if I had left my house 10 minutes later the cats would've killed him.

That's my bird story, thanks for reading.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Boo keeps flying into the doors and Skillet keeps flying in circles until he tires himself out so we figured we'd better set up something for them to land on.

Boo's beginning to pick up pieces of Skillet's vocabulary. Gimme Kiss!, Skillet's smooch noises, "Baby Bird", that sort of thing. He's not very good yet, but he's practicing a lot. (not when I try to film him, though! :mad:)

El Hefe posted:

I got out of my house a couple hours ago and there was a parrot on my porch with 2 cats staring right at it with murderous intentions, when he saw me he started speaking and I lowered my hand down to the ground and he climbed, he knew he was about to become cat food, I went around the neighborhood because I assumed he had escaped from one of my neighbors and sure enough there was an empty cage 5 houses from mine. I'm sure that if I had left my house 10 minutes later the cats would've killed him.

That's my bird story, thanks for reading.

:catstare: A few minutes later and that could have really been a tragedy for somebody. Good timing! They must have been relieved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

If that ever happened to Boop, I think I'd be reassured she went down in a blaze of glory.