Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Savidudeosoo posted:

I will, till the day I die, argue for Age of Ultron's mediocracy

I really liked Tony Stark in Age of Ultron. It feels like a continuation of everything that happened to him in Iron Man 3 and his fear of what will happen to the world if he cannot personally keep things under control. Age of Ultron made him out to be the villain, not Ultron who as far as I saw it was just an extension of Stark. Ultron is all of Starks demons. I watched the Iron Man trilogy over the weekend, and i'm not good at words but it made me appreciate Age of Ultron a lot more when you look at the film from the perspective of Tony Stark and everything that happened in the Iron Man movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Age of Ultron was so weird because when I was watching it with my nephews they got bored and wanted to turn it off. They've really liked every other Marvel movie they've watched.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Age of Ultron made him out to be the villain,

Except for the part where he solves everyone's problems using the exact same thought process and experiments that made Ultron?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

Except for the part where he solves everyone's problems using the exact same thought process and experiments that made Ultron?

He doesn't solve anyone's problems tho? He stops Ultron, but leaves the entire world in complete and utter fear of super heroes, hence the setup to Civil War. Everything about Tony Stark is preventing threats before they begin, the whole problem with Nick Furry in the Winter Soldier.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I said come in! posted:

He doesn't solve anyone's problems tho? He stops Ultron, but leaves the entire world in complete and utter fear of super heroes, hence the setup to Civil War. Everything about Tony Stark is preventing threats before they begin, the whole problem with Nick Furry in the Winter Soldier.

All the world's problems would dissapear if Tony would just man up an eat a bullet. The guy thinks the entire world is an extension of the estate he grew up living in, and acts surprised when the servants don't applaud the latest vase he has knocked over

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Rough Lobster posted:

EXCELSioorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Staaaaaaaaan!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

I said come in! posted:

We're not judging the sequels, we're judging Age of Ultron, the movie where, using the exact same process that created Ultron, Tony Stark creates Vision, a character whose sole purpose is to destroy Ultron, which he does.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Avengers 2 isn't as bad as some people say on this forums (it's the internet message board effect, where everything is THE BEST or THE WORST ever), but the all CGI fight choreography, like Hulk vs Hulk Buster or Tony vs Ultron or Vision vs Ultron, is so much better than the live action choreography. The live actors are all directed in really weird ways. It is especially noticeable because of how good the choreography is in Ant-Man and Winter Solider. Or even just the CGI scene 20 minutes earlier in Ultron.

Ant-Man has some really cool, really creative fight scenes where they use their powers against each other in fun ways. I love it. Like, the fight between Ant-Man and the Falcon is so loving boss.

It also ends with a divorced family treated as a normal thing, which is super rare in Hollywood movies. I liked that.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

My Ultron hype came from James Spader and the marketing team deciding to add the Disney song in the trailer, which was a slick move. I was on board.

But if you asked me what my favorite part was, I couldn't tell you because the whole movie just...had nothing memorable? Nothing stuck. It's a hard to explain thing - I'm not a film critic, I don't know how to break these elements down. I saw Deadpool once but I feel like I have the whole movie in my head, and going in I didn't even like Deadpool. I'm struggling to remember moments from Age of Ultron and I saw that twice.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ant-Man has some really cool, really creative fight scenes where they use their powers against each other in fun ways. I love it. Like, the fight between Ant-Man and the Falcon is so loving boss.

It also ends with a divorced family treated as a normal thing, which is super rare in Hollywood movies. I liked that.

I liked Ant-Man a lot, I'd like to see more Ant-Man.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf-_230SjbM

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Tom Gorman posted:

I liked Ant-Man a lot, I'd like to see more Ant-Man.
Well he's showing up in Civil War and getting a sequel with Wasp, hopefully fighting MODOK and AIM

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

I was so disappointed with super hero movies last year (especially after how awesome 2014 was) that I skipped Ant-Man. I will have to watch it before Civil War, it is good to hear stuff like this!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

I was so disappointed with super hero movies last year (especially after how awesome 2014 was) that I skipped Ant-Man. I will have to watch it before Civil War, it is good to hear stuff like this!

It's far from perfect, but it's good parts are worth it and they also happen to be things other super hero movies usually get wrong, so it's a nice change of pace. I also skipped Ant-Man at first and only watched it when it came on Netflix.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Tbh I feel like Ant-Man was saved by the fact that Edgar Wright was working on it at one point and it's really obvious which parts were his and which weren't.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6 posted:

I should feel sorry for Joss after all the stress that it took to make the film, but then again a lot of it was self inflicted

I had an argument with a friend about Age of Ultron where I argued that Marvel's problem was not that they cut up Joss Whedon's script so much, but that Joss Whedon wrote a loving 3 1/2 hour movie and Marvel said "yeah go ahead and film that" instead of "gently caress you Joss, go make a movie that won't be cut to shreds". He was totally fine with the idea of a 3 1/2 hour Age of Ultron, which is right above a 3 1/2 hours of a blank screen in terms of "things I want to watch".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My favorite part of Age of Ultron was the score. Elfman's best work in a while. He does good themes!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I didn't see Ant-Man specifically because Edgar Wright didn't end up doing it. :colbert:

Probably still will eventually. Which is the way I watch most of these, actually. Deadpool was the first one in a long time I wanted to see in theaters.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

I said come in! posted:

I'm the only person in the entire world that liked this movie.

Plenty of people liked the movie. It's just a loving trash fire.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Pirate Jet posted:

We're not judging the sequels, we're judging Age of Ultron, the movie where, using the exact same process that created Ultron, Tony Stark creates Vision, a character whose sole purpose is to destroy Ultron, which he does.

In the same movie it's also made abundantly clear that the public now hates the Avengers, so much so that they have to take cover at Hawkeye's little house in the prairie. Creating Vision does not undo that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
On the subject of a new and exciting pointless slapfight, press reviews of BvS are starting to roll in, and they're not positive.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

In the same movie it's also made abundantly clear that the public now hates the Avengers, so much so that they have to take cover at Hawkeye's little house in the prairie. Creating Vision does not undo that.

Public approval was a non-factor outside of Stark's celebrity status.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Cythereal posted:

On the subject of a new and exciting pointless slapfight, press reviews of BvS are starting to roll in, and they're not positive.
Frankly I'm not surprised. Even if the movie is good there's a lot of people with a lot of energy and words invested in having already decided it's bad.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Woah... Why had I not seen this before? What a great way to start my day.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

Public approval was a non-factor outside of Stark's celebrity status.

Then why was that bit about public approval in the movie?

Also, how is Stark's celebrity status irrelevant? The man lives and dies by how many friends he has on Facebook.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Reviews are starting to pour in for BvS:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/batman_v_superman_dawn_of_justice/

Surprise, it's crap!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Doflamingo posted:

Surprise, it's crap!

I bet superman doesn't even yell 'THIS ENDS NOW'

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Doflamingo posted:

Surprise, it's crap!

It's still likely going to destroy the box office so meh. It won't have legs, but it'll probably be front-loaded.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Doflamingo posted:

Surprise, it's crap!

Netflix it is, then.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

teagone posted:

It's still likely going to destroy the box office so meh. It won't have legs, but it'll probably be front-loaded.

It'll do TRANSFORMERS business: A movie that no one seems to like but rakes it in anyway.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
It's big dumb action schlock. It will make big dumb action schlock money.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

One positive takeaway I've been reading that seems pretty consistent amidst all the pre-release backlash is Gal Gadot rocks as Wonder Woman. I'm a bigger fan of Wonder Woman comics than Batman or Superman, so hearing that is good enough for me :) Gives me hope that Patty Jenkins will make Gadot's solo debut a homerun.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Since we're talking about the Avengers, I've been wanting to ask this. As someone who just watches the movies and doesn't read comics, shouldn't Stark and Rogers should be on the opposite sides in Civil War? The libertarian industrialist Tony "You want my property well you can't have it" Stark is all pro government regulation while the ultimate orders following soldier is heavily in favor of unchecked vigilantism? I know they tried to set up some of that in Winter Soldier with SHIELD, but it still really feels off to me.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

teagone posted:

One positive takeaway I've been reading that seems pretty consistent amidst all the pre-release backlash is Gal Gadot rocks as Wonder Woman. I'm a bigger fan of Wonder Woman comics than Batman or Superman, so hearing that is good enough for me :) Gives me hope that Patty Jenkins will make Gadot's solo debut a homerun.

I'm also hearing that Ben Affleck is a pretty great Bats aside from the fact that he movie spoiler:kills people now.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's one of the things that makes perfect sense - the man out of time struggling to realize what's off about the present day versus a flippant capitalist who treats his so called friends like employees.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pirate Jet posted:

Tbh I feel like Ant-Man was saved by the fact that Edgar Wright was working on it at one point and it's really obvious which parts were his and which weren't.

I like people saying this. So care to tell me which parts were his and which weren't?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's one of the things that makes perfect sense - the man out of time struggling to realize what's off about the present day versus a flippant capitalist who treats his so called friends like employees.

I was trying to connect this post to BvS for a moment. The next few months should provide some entertainingly confusing discussions.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Since we're talking about the Avengers, I've been wanting to ask this. As someone who just watches the movies and doesn't read comics, shouldn't Stark and Rogers should be on the opposite sides in Civil War? The libertarian industrialist Tony "You want my property well you can't have it" Stark is all pro government regulation while the ultimate orders following soldier is heavily in favor of unchecked vigilantism? I know they tried to set up some of that in Winter Soldier with SHIELD, but it still really feels off to me.

At least for Cap you can say that he has always been against preemptive strikes, rule through fear and so forth. Whatever legislation starts the Civil War seems to be more of the same stuff Hydra tried to pull off, but this time it's totally not Hydra!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Grendels Dad posted:

This time it's totally not Hydra!

One thing I've learned from the MCU, it's always Hydra. Always.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

teagone posted:

Speaking from purely personal experience (when I went online earlier today to see if I could get a ticket for tomorrow, which is opening say here in Australia) it's doing good business but it's nowhere near doing Avengers business. None of the sessions in the biggest cinema in my city were sold out. I would have had real problems trying to find a ticket for the first Avengers movie the day before its release.

Grendels Dad posted:

At least for Cap you can say that he has always been against preemptive strikes, rule through fear and so forth. Whatever legislation starts the Civil War seems to be more of the same stuff Hydra tried to pull off, but this time it's totally not Hydra!
Tony also nearly caused the extinction of the entire human race via his unchecked hubris so it's understandable that he might have a change of mind and try to fix his mistake by going all in on creating a system of oversight on people like him.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Deakul posted:

I'm also hearing that Ben Affleck is a pretty great Bats aside from the fact that he movie spoiler:kills people now.

A movie where Batman kills is nothing new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sometimes, just sometimes, once in a blue moon, if you're lucky, you can catch a glimpse of the real SuperMechagodzilla

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Plenty of people liked the movie. It's just a loving trash fire.

• Locked thread