Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Equeen posted:

A movie where Batman kills is nothing new.

In fact, if you include "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you" deaths (which would at least count as negligent homicide or perhaps voluntary manslaughter) then the only Batman film where he doesn't cause any deaths is Batman and Robin. That includes Batman 1966.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psVIG7YvdjM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

In fact, if you include "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you" deaths (which would at least count as negligent homicide or perhaps voluntary manslaughter) then the only Batman film where he doesn't cause any deaths is Batman and Robin. That includes Batman 1966.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psVIG7YvdjM

I'm pretty sure Bane bites it in B&R, and possibly some random goons. That might be on Robin though, he's a loose cannon!

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 23, 2016

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Filming begins on Justice League already!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The big problem I have with Ant Man is what it could have been.

You see Edgar Wright's hands all over the movie, and in the action sequences, but they're missing that extra layer of energy that he always brings into his direction. It's like you keep waiting for it to hit that rhythm and it never does - the whole movie just comes off as one giant tease to me.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Speaking from purely personal experience (when I went online earlier today to see if I could get a ticket for tomorrow, which is opening say here in Australia) it's doing good business but it's nowhere near doing Avengers business. None of the sessions in the biggest cinema in my city were sold out. I would have had real problems trying to find a ticket for the first Avengers movie the day before its release.

:shrug: Almost every news outlet/blog reported that BvS already pre-sold more movie tickets on Fandango than any other superhero movie in history.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

counterfeitsaint posted:

Since we're talking about the Avengers, I've been wanting to ask this. As someone who just watches the movies and doesn't read comics, shouldn't Stark and Rogers should be on the opposite sides in Civil War? The libertarian industrialist Tony "You want my property well you can't have it" Stark is all pro government regulation while the ultimate orders following soldier is heavily in favor of unchecked vigilantism? I know they tried to set up some of that in Winter Soldier with SHIELD, but it still really feels off to me.

Cap's first "mission" was disobeying orders and parachuting into enemy territory to rescue his buddies. He's always been a guy who does the right thing first, and a soldier second.

Meanwhile, Tony's had several movies since his "I've privatized world peace" speech, in which he's shown to be terrified of metahumans and the enemies that come with them (Iron Man 3) and realizing that his efforts to protect the world himself go horribly awry (Age of Ultron). I think in Civil War he's humbled and accepts that he and the others need oversight, and he's just going way overboard with it because he's scared. When he's in the suit he's an Avenger, but when he's not hes just another normal human scared shitless of the Hulk.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Just saw Batman v Superman. It's about as dumb a movie as I expected it to be. Everything story element you came to expect from the trailers is there and little else. It's worse than Man of Steel. The plot reminds me of Amazing Spider-Man 2 in terms of shoehorned characters, overly-long and flashy fight scenes, and an attempt to rush a shared universe into existence.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm pretty sure Bane bites it in B&R, and possibly some random goons. That might be on Robin though, he's a loose cannon!

Nah, he just gets de-Venomed and turned back into a regular guy.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Terrible Horse posted:

Cap's first "mission" was disobeying orders and parachuting into enemy territory to rescue his buddies. He's always been a guy who does the right thing first, and a soldier second.

Meanwhile, Tony's had several movies since his "I've privatized world peace" speech, in which he's shown to be terrified of metahumans and the enemies that come with them (Iron Man 3) and realizing that his efforts to protect the world himself go horribly awry (Age of Ultron). I think in Civil War he's humbled and accepts that he and the others need oversight, and he's just going way overboard with it because he's scared. When he's in the suit he's an Avenger, but when he's not hes just another normal human scared shitless of the Hulk.

In Avengers 1 there's a scene where they all squabble due to the scepter. Cap says to Stark "Big man in a suit of armor. Take that off, what are you?" Naturally, Stark replies with a quib and Cap's remark isn't dwelled upon in the scene at all, but I would like to think that Cap hit a nerve there. It's too close to what BvS apparently aims at, but I would like a Civil War where part of Stark's motivation is that he is massively insecure about his red sports car armor allowing him to compete with literal gods.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Just saw Batman VS Superman.

Batman wins via roll up after Doomsday distracts Superman. All that build up and we'll probably have to wait for the sequel for a clean win.

loving bullshit.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 24, 2016

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Gorn Myson posted:

Just saw Batman VS Superman.

Batman wins via roll up after Doomsday distracts Superman. All that build up and we'll probably have to wait for the sequel for a clean win.

loving bullshit.

But how are the quips? Are they on point?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Phylodox posted:

They're okay, but you just kind of know that in a Marvel movie they would be more emotional and meaningful.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Phylodox posted:

All the lamest clichés they could dredge up from the comics. Luthor's lines are particularly terrible, but everybody does it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gorn Myson posted:

They're okay, but you just kind of know that in a Marvel movie they would be more emotional and meaningful.

Heh.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yoshifan823 posted:

I had an argument with a friend about Age of Ultron where I argued that Marvel's problem was not that they cut up Joss Whedon's script so much, but that Joss Whedon wrote a loving 3 1/2 hour movie and Marvel said "yeah go ahead and film that" instead of "gently caress you Joss, go make a movie that won't be cut to shreds". He was totally fine with the idea of a 3 1/2 hour Age of Ultron, which is right above a 3 1/2 hours of a blank screen in terms of "things I want to watch".

I thought this was normal for scripts to be really long and then cut later on? We just never hear about it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

In actual Marvel news rumours are starting to gain traction that Elizabeth Debicki is playing Death in Guardians 2 and that Mads is playing Eternity in Doctor Strange.

We might meet both of them in the post-credits of Civil War greeting a recently "killed" Cap.

I'm not sure how much of that is speculation taken from the Debicki rumour.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 23, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

In actual Marvel news rumours are starting to gain traction that Elizabeth Debicki is playing Death in Guardians 2.

Awesome casting.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

PriorMarcus posted:

In actual Marvel news rumours are starting to gain traction that Elizabeth Debicki is playing Death in Guardians 2 and that Mads is playing Eternity in Doctor Strange.

We might meet both of them in the post-credits of Civil War greeting a recently "killed" Cap.

Marvel is going full on Kirby/Lee/Ditko crazy with the cosmic movies. It is going to glorious. gently caress I want giant purple galactus and full on Celestials.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Mr Hootington posted:

Marvel is going full on Kirby/Lee/Ditko crazy with the cosmic movies. It is going to glorious. gently caress I want giant purple galactus and full on Celestials.

Can't use Galactus unless Fox dumps the Fantastic Four rights (which could probably happen, honestly, but they're pretty stubborn).

Maybe we'll get a thing like with Spider-Man, who knows.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

So Dr. Strange's main villain will be a basically immortal sorcerer? Last I heard Mads was lined up as the main villain according to one of the producers.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

GonSmithe posted:

Can't use Galactus unless Fox dumps the Fantastic Four rights (which could probably happen, honestly, but they're pretty stubborn).

They can use Galen of Taa.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kurzon posted:

Just saw Batman v Superman. It's about as dumb a movie as I expected it to be. Everything story element you came to expect from the trailers is there and little else. It's worse than Man of Steel. The plot reminds me of Amazing Spider-Man 2 in terms of shoehorned characters, overly-long and flashy fight scenes, and an attempt to rush a shared universe into existence.

But is it Amazing Spiderman mixed with Phantom Menace?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah the Galactus thing always makes me sad. I'm holding hope that Fox jettisons the FF property.

There is still hope for a full blown Celestial and not just a vague story and silhouette.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The big joke for Marvel properties is that each movie is just a 2 hour long trailer for the next film, but that actually seems to be the case with Batman vs Superman. Our worst fears realized.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harlock posted:

The big joke for Marvel properties is that each movie is just a 2 hour long trailer for the next film, but that actually seems to be the case with Batman vs Superman. Our worst fears realized.

The Marvel movies right now are one big story. Everything is tied together.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

EPIC 36 HOUR MARATHON!!

QUIPS!

EDGE OF YOUR SEAT THRILLS!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

counterfeitsaint posted:

Since we're talking about the Avengers, I've been wanting to ask this. As someone who just watches the movies and doesn't read comics, shouldn't Stark and Rogers should be on the opposite sides in Civil War? The libertarian industrialist Tony "You want my property well you can't have it" Stark is all pro government regulation while the ultimate orders following soldier is heavily in favor of unchecked vigilantism? I know they tried to set up some of that in Winter Soldier with SHIELD, but it still really feels off to me.

This is something I mentioned a few times, too, which could have maybe made MCU Civil War a different sort of thing from comics CW.

Cap being on the pro-gov't side after the events of AoU, but also from a position of sort of 'ignorance', in a way. He thinks the government is good and can be trusted again because in Winter Soldier/AoU they 'got rid' of Hydra. The big war's won and this is him able to be a peacetime soldier, running the Avengers Reserves, training up the people that will follow him, focusing on defense, etc.

Iron Man continuing to be what Wanda sort of established in AoU: He's so set on fixing problems on his own in his own way. Also, the idea of Stark revisting his IM1 self in a way could be interesting. He's become the 'terrorist', but still working on building his armor with scraps in a cave somewhere.

But something like that feels like it would almost have to be the plot of IM4 or an Avengers film.

I have sort of been thinking Ultron was maybe done too soon in the MCU films as an event. I keep thinking that they needed one more Avengers film in there. Something like Avengers / ______ / AoU / Infinity War 1&2 to esclatate the stakes and do some more universe/team building. I don't really know what could have been a good main baddie to put in there, though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The answer is Kang.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

I said come in! posted:

The Marvel movies right now are one big story. Everything is tied together.

You know, this is something that makes me wonder if this alone is a reason the need for 'origin' films are slightly diminished. The franchise of films is so on-going and long-running, without an end, audiences I think sort of are maybe more willing to accept that since all these characters exist in the same universe, so long as you accept and know how a few of them have their origins, you can just jump into new characters stepping into roles without needing that explanation of their first day on hero duty/spending an hour before they get their powers/etc..

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm actually excited to see BvS to see if it's as bad as the early reviews are making out.

Because holy poo poo that sounds awful.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I'm actually excited to see BvS to see if it's as bad as the early reviews are making out.

Because holy poo poo that sounds awful.

What were your impressions of Man of Steel?

gregday
May 23, 2003

The worst thing a movie can do is not be bad, because that's kind of fun. It's to be boring. That is unforgivable.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

gregday posted:

The worst thing a movie can do is not be bad, because that's kind of fun. It's to be boring. That is unforgivable.

This is my standpoint.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The answer is Kang.

Fox has his rights, sadly. :(

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Codependent Poster posted:

Fox has his rights, sadly. :(

For what, FF?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah. Kang is with the FF rights for some reason. Maybe because he's possibly Nathaniel Richards.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I honestly have no idea how to even begin processing that.

I would love to know what corner of Joss Whedon's psyche this movie is supposed to be representing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah. Kang is with the FF rights for some reason. Maybe because he's possibly Nathaniel Richards.

Or Immortus or whatever.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I wouldn't mind Avengers so much if they weren't sanatizing stuff too much to the point where American military incursions ammount to just some property damage.
Civil War seems to be going the same way, but who knows.

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Well now, Snyder's going on the record saying that TFA had more collateral damage than MoS.

I'm not sure if he knows what collateral damage really means; the stuff that happened in Episode VII was intentional.

• Locked thread