Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
That's where mine always end up, I wouldn't worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Nocheez posted:

Brake guys: My brake fluid was low when I went to bring the car out after not driving for a few months. I topped off, but my pedal is still "soft". I think the booster is working because I can feel the pedal lower if I hold it in while I start the car, and I bled all 4 corners to check for air but they were good. The pedal never really firms up like you would expect when pumping it. The car *does* stop but only a little bit of braking force is happening.

I ordered a master cylinder, does that seem like the likely culprit?

Could be seals on the MC, could be air in your ABS. I had a similar issue after changing calipers and introducing air into the lines. I have a 99, and can jumper 2 pins in the diagnostic thingy to get the ABS to cycle while bleeding. See http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php?topic=26846.0 for details.

The fact that you were low on fluid points more towards a leak somewhere letting air into the system. Don't forget to check the adjustment screw area on the rear brakes, fluid back there indicates a failed caliper. Can you get a firm pedal pumping the brakes with the car off?

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
I replaced my rear calipers/rotors/pads on my 97 and now have no ebrake. I also didn't have it before I replaced everything. I tried adjusting one of them with that weird set screw/Allen key thing and stripped the teeth on of them trying to get the pads adjusted to make the emergency brake work. Anyone have any tips?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

crutt posted:

I replaced my rear calipers/rotors/pads on my 97 and now have no ebrake. I also didn't have it before I replaced everything. I tried adjusting one of them with that weird set screw/Allen key thing and stripped the teeth on of them trying to get the pads adjusted to make the emergency brake work. Anyone have any tips?

Was the other caliper just as difficult to adjust? Honestly it sounds like you got a bad set of calipers if you're not able to adjust the piston with the gear. I'm assuming the calipers came fully retracted, and if they didn't you used the gear to retract them, right? If you used say a c-clamp to retract them the parking brake mechanism probably broke.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

TrueChaos posted:

Could be seals on the MC, could be air in your ABS. I had a similar issue after changing calipers and introducing air into the lines. I have a 99, and can jumper 2 pins in the diagnostic thingy to get the ABS to cycle while bleeding. See http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php?topic=26846.0 for details.

The fact that you were low on fluid points more towards a leak somewhere letting air into the system. Don't forget to check the adjustment screw area on the rear brakes, fluid back there indicates a failed caliper. Can you get a firm pedal pumping the brakes with the car off?

I don't have ABS, and I replaced the MC yesterday. The pedal does firm up now, but I need to bleed the brakes at the corners. I only have the tools to do it the old fashioned way, and need someone to push the pedal for me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

crutt posted:

You can pull out the adjusters and replace them but it sounds like your calipers are rusted inside like mine so they will just shear again.

I had a moderate amount of luck pulling out the adjusters and dumping half a can of PB into the calipers over the course of a week but the next time I have to do it they are getting replaced with (apparently quite cheap) rebuilds.

Make sure to use a magnet and get the broken chunks of the old adjusters out.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
These were brand new calipers. maybe I adjusted it the wrong way (more open) causing the adjuster to strip.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
I wore the "teeth" of that adjuster down a lot by pushing on it while turning it. Didn't push very hard, but about as much as I normally would do when turning a regular screw. Just being more gentle helped.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

crutt posted:

These were brand new calipers. maybe I adjusted it the wrong way (more open) causing the adjuster to strip.

Wonder if they were rebuilt and it wasn't properly fixed and sold broken? I'd take it back either way and get another if tightening it doesn't do anything.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
This a fair price? How big a deal is not having an LSD?

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/5501558837.html

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

willroc7 posted:

I have a 99 in white that is very similar to that, and I paid $3500 a couple years ago (with 16xxxx miles). The lack of a LSD has never bothered me, especially since they don't make much power anyways. If it's mechanically sound then it looks like a new top and a little TLC would make it into a nice driver.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

willroc7 posted:

Fair price but I would be wary of anyone dumb enough to "chip" a Miata.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

fresh back from the paint shop, picture overload

can you tell which panels are painted?

before pictures:
http://imgur.com/3OFWYqm
http://imgur.com/9vRlZdM
bonus roll bar pic

After 3 weeks in a sentra, miata feels like heaven now

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

ethanol posted:

After 3 weeks in a sentra, miata feels like heaven now

New rental Sentra?

Last car I drove before going to Texas was my Miata. I got a brand new 2016 as a rental, maybe had 101 miles on it when I picked it. It handled like poo poo and had no pick up whatsoever.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

mariooncrack posted:

New rental Sentra?

Last car I drove before going to Texas was my Miata. I got a brand new 2016 as a rental, maybe had 101 miles on it when I picked it. It handled like poo poo and had no pick up whatsoever.

Yeah, pretty much a dog. I liked the backup camera but that was about it. Felt like a straight up tank compared to the Miata

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Stop

Body roll today

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Phone posted:

Stop

Body roll today

You can cut down on body roll if you just eliminate suspension travel:

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 22, 2016

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
But I like suspension travel. A spine is hard to replace.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
Miata RF. Wasn't expecting the hard-top version to look like this:

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Oh god I'm going to start channeling mnet but if I'm looking for a convertible hardtop I want it to be a full convertible not a targa and I guess I'm keeping my NC.

I'm sorry, I tried not to.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It's beautiful and I want one right now.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I like it a lot. It visually integrates the backend design.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
So nice.

Reminds me of the JDM Del Sol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7pHdiqbh1Y

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Holy Christ. All of that poo poo must have doubled the weight of the car.

Hard top Miata; yes please.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Emilio's eventually coming out with a removable hardtop. :toot:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That is awesome. And with the top up it looks like the Garage Vary NC fastback hard top.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GutBomb posted:

It's beautiful and I want one right now.

Yup, same here. Though I'd be tempted to see what it looks like as a Fiata Abarth.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

I thought there is no way that is something an OEM would produce, that's nuts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Time to get my ducks in a row.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

n8r posted:

I thought there is no way that is something an OEM would produce, that's nuts.

Let me introduce you to Honda, the inexplicably super-popular OEM that basically looks at things, thinks about them really hard, then gets half-cocked on Grandpa Whisky and wanders back to do them.

Then someone gets involved before those things get to the US and waters them down. :(

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

GEMorris posted:

Oh god I'm going to start channeling mnet but if I'm looking for a convertible hardtop I want it to be a full convertible not a targa and I guess I'm keeping my NC.

:frogout:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Pretty amazing looking. I wish it was simply a removable targa that wasn't motorized and the rear of the thing didn't pop up. That's going to make water leaks fun.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

GEMorris posted:

You are very bad at picking good cars.

Wait is this only available in a six speed auto? Going to need to add 50 hp to it for that.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 23, 2016

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Local scca people bitching about the weight "50lbs in a Miata will add .1-.2". Well don't loving buy it then bro. I think it's sexy and I want to be inside it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm sorry but buying a targa instead of a soft top and then complaining about weight is pretty awful even for Miata forums

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ethanol posted:

I'm sorry but buying a targa instead of a soft top and then complaining about weight is pretty awful even for Miata forums

How many threads are there about "what gas should I put in my car?"

Just guess.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Phone posted:

How many threads are there about "what gas should I put in my car?"

Just guess.

All specific car forums are terrible, all non specific car forums are worse.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Elephanthead posted:

All specific car forums are terrible, all non specific car forums are worse.

Nissan s chassis forums are a special breed of stupid. Although I shudder to think what Subaru forums would be like.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Going to look at this tomorrow and I'm leaning heavily towards buying my first miata:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/5504459766.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

willroc7 posted:

Going to look at this tomorrow and I'm leaning heavily towards buying my first miata:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/5504459766.html

Check very carefully for rust. He says he brought it up from Florida but he's clearly driving it in the snow which means it's seen road salt. The claimed undercoat could be complete bullshit.