Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

my last unit just called me asking if I had turned my phone in. I loving went on terminal leave on OCT 2nd. I would have turned the phone in September. What the gently caress you bunch of loving morons :doom:

Why did you answer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Pesticide20 posted:

Why did you answer?

They had the one guy that I sort of got along with call me, thought he might have been saying hi or something

nope, turns out it was a backhanded way of accusing me of stealing

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Tell them to go gently caress themselves.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Thinking about writing the CG of usarec just to be an rear end in a top hat

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Mike-o posted:

Tell them to go gently caress themselves.

I stand by this!

I'll be deleting all my military phone numbers when I go on terminal leave and any call that comes my way will be sent to voicemail and screened. Anything bullshit will be ignored.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Soulex posted:

I stand by this!

I'll be deleting all my military phone numbers when I go on terminal leave and any call that comes my way will be sent to voicemail and screened. Anything bullshit will be ignored.

I did that. :feelsgood:

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Soulex posted:

Yo, these ACAP classes are awesome. They're like "pft whatever, don't pay attention." so I don't. Well I kinda do but being able to listen while playing on my phone is loving surreal. It doesn't feel army at all

I was under very limited supervision my last few months in. I practically lived in the TBI clinic the amount of appointments that I had with them, and quite a few off post for cardiology.

I also kind of had 2 platoon sergeants, who split the roll in with their training room gig. I told one that I'd be gone for a week for ACAP. So I disappeared for a week. Turns out, I felt that sleeping in and jerking off was a much better way to spend my time, so when I came back, I told my other platoon sergeant I declined ACAP counselling and just need the CO to sign. I already had orders so they were like, are you sure? I just said not like I'm gonna remember this poo poo anyway, and bam, ACAP done and dusted.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
ACAP is pretty much Army.txt. It's a good idea on paper, that is executed by and for morons in reality. The people who need to learn poo poo like what a resume is and how much of a god drat rip off University of Pheonix Online is won't ever learn it, and the people who would learn it by going to ACAP already know.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I guess I don't understand the surprise or frustration when the army is bad and dis-armying you. It shouldn't be their loving job to begin with. A year in the peace corps should be the mandatory final year of service, no exceptions, not even going into reserves or IRR.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Zeris posted:

I guess I don't understand the surprise or frustration when the army is bad and dis-armying you. It shouldn't be their loving job to begin with. A year in the peace corps should be the mandatory final year of service, no exceptions, not even going into reserves or IRR.

I'm not sure you know what the peace corps actually does or the qualifications that are necessary to volunteer.

What you are essentially saying is that you don't understand people being upset at the fact that the military uses people up, often to the point of making them incapable of functioning in the real world, and just tosses them out. It is 100% the government's responsibility to take care of them.

EDIT: The Peace Corps is funded by the government anyway.

Obstacle2 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 23, 2016

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Dude, my CO wants a goddamn note from every instructor/Doctor I go to see to make sure I'm not loving off.

I don't have the luxury.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You need a profile like that one goons that had no sitting, standing, laying, or wearing a uniform.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Mr. Nice! posted:

You need a profile like that one goons that had no sitting, standing, laying, or wearing a uniform.

That was glorious

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

My skin isn't trying to leave my body though

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Mr. Nice! posted:

what the gently caress

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Soulex posted:

Dude, my CO wants a goddamn note from every instructor/Doctor I go to see to make sure I'm not loving off.

I don't have the luxury.

What is he going to do if you are? Does he have some super important work he needs you to be doing?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

what the gently caress

I'm surprised you haven't seen it. Dude posted pics of it a time or two. His profile basically said "no army stuff at all get hosed 1st sgt" because he was really hosed up and the WTU people kept trying to get him to do poo poo he couldn't.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm surprised you haven't seen it. Dude posted pics of it a time or two. His profile basically said "no army stuff at all get hosed 1st sgt" because he was really hosed up and the WTU people kept trying to get him to do poo poo he couldn't.

I could have seen it I don't remember. I saw a soldier with something similar once, he had brain tumors though lol

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Obstacle2 posted:

I'm not sure you know what the peace corps actually does or the qualifications that are necessary to volunteer.

What you are essentially saying is that you don't understand people being upset at the fact that the military uses people up, often to the point of making them incapable of functioning in the real world, and just tosses them out. It is 100% the government's responsibility to take care of them.

EDIT: The Peace Corps is funded by the government anyway.

My post should have "when the army is bad at dis-armying you" - oops.

Point is, when the army has x amount of funding and staff, do you think they are going to send their top men to run the "help people exit the army" department? Do you think they are going to fine-tooth-comb screen the contractor bids for the "teach soldiers to be civilians workshop"? It is literally not in the army's direct best interest to spend resources on helping people leave.

We have the FDA rather than telling food companies to do their own regulating and testing. etc.

Hand pre-veterans off to another organization, take the time out of the initial service obligation, and pay people to do it. Something useful and chill, like the peace corps.

This would have to be part of the bargain and clearly understood from signup onwards, but it would be pretty cool if everyone knew their "final year" of active duty was a paid vacation. Maybe.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I found it!

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

I found it!

What the gently caress. How the gently caress do you have this and not just get a medical discharge?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
was this one of those dudes that started off with a fairly reasonable profile, at which point his unit kept trying to push to the absolute limit?

Like, "well it doesnt say you can't hold a weapon, so draw an M16 from the arms room and stand with it, arms outstretched, and hold it for an hour" :smug: type of poo poo?

Phuzzy posted:

What the gently caress. How the gently caress do you have this and not just get a medical discharge?

block 7 is saying exactly that, but it takes time. If you have the audacity to get injured or whatever, it is SOP to treat you like subhuman filth until you actually get out.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Phuzzy posted:

He was in the process of a medboard at the time so some auto-immune problem or something. It's armyposter Delzin's profile. The doctor gave him this after the army kept trying to gently caress with him.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

block 7 is saying exactly that, but it takes time. If you have the audacity to get injured or whatever, it is SOP to treat you like subhuman filth until you actually get out.

Mr. Nice! posted:

He was in the process of a medboard at the time so some auto-immune problem or something. It's armyposter Delzin's profile. The doctor gave him this after the army kept trying to gently caress with him.

Man I poked my nose in here when I got the title changed but goddamn. :psyduck: that's fuckin' awful. Never go army

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

What is he going to do if you are? Does he have some super important work he needs you to be doing?

Article 15 since we've already been "counseled"

Seriously, dude had to be convinced by my NCOIC and squad leader that putting me on the Height and Weight program while I'm just waiting for ratings and orders to get out is not worth the hassle.

Which sucks because as a person, he's pretty cool. Just a dick boss

Zeris posted:

My post should have "when the army is bad at dis-armying you" - oops.

Point is, when the army has x amount of funding and staff, do you think they are going to send their top men to run the "help people exit the army" department? Do you think they are going to fine-tooth-comb screen the contractor bids for the "teach soldiers to be civilians workshop"? It is literally not in the army's direct best interest to spend resources on helping people leave.

We have the FDA rather than telling food companies to do their own regulating and testing. etc.

Hand pre-veterans off to another organization, take the time out of the initial service obligation, and pay people to do it. Something useful and chill, like the peace corps.

This would have to be part of the bargain and clearly understood from signup onwards, but it would be pretty cool if everyone knew their "final year" of active duty was a paid vacation. Maybe.

This DoL ACAP class I'm going through is actually pretty chill and I'm learning things at my pace. I knew everything in the finance class thanks to my CPA friend and his guidance over the years, but it's not horrible if you have a teacher that actually cares. Maybe I got lucky?

And it's way better than the 1 day of classes thing they had. Honestly, putting more emphasis on building, molding and submitting resumes would be a good help. That or a process for those going back to school.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Soulex posted:

That or a process for those going back to school.

Bragg has a two day ACAP class you can sign up for in addition to the mandatory five day resume and finance class. It was loving worthless. Same thing where the information is useful to people who already have it and worthless to those who don't. What they need to do is take the resource thread here in GIP and go over it with people, as it's been far more helpful to me than anything put together by the Army.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Soulex posted:

I can't wait to do this. I just got a call on my personal cell from a number that I FREAKING KNEW was some army office. YEP. It was the XO of my unit.

Now I've got to write some OERs for some officers who are so far delinquent that we don't even know if their raters/senior raters are even still in the army. I'm just going to make stuff up and hit the middle block for all of it, sign it, and send it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Pesticide20 posted:

Bragg has a two day ACAP class you can sign up for in addition to the mandatory five day resume and finance class. It was loving worthless. Same thing where the information is useful to people who already have it and worthless to those who don't. What they need to do is take the resource thread here in GIP and go over it with people, as it's been far more helpful to me than anything put together by the Army.
Yeah there really needs to be a stipulation or something like that so if you can produce a resume or something it will exempt you from the class. It's the boat I'm in right now. I did learn something here, but three days for like 2 things learned is a bad turn around. However most of the class is getting something out of this so I'm not gonna speak too ill about it. The 5 day ACAP thing is DoD wide though if you've been in more than a year.

I got a nice resume now though.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It might be a bad army class, but it shields you from your unit loving with you and that's the real reward of it all.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
If you weren't peaced the gently caress out every day for your last six months or so, you probably done hosed up.

"What do you have going on this week?"
"ACAP."

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

I can't wait to do this. I just got a call on my personal cell from a number that I FREAKING KNEW was some army office. YEP. It was the XO of my unit.

Now I've got to write some OERs for some officers who are so far delinquent that we don't even know if their raters/senior raters are even still in the army. I'm just going to make stuff up and hit the middle block for all of it, sign it, and send it.

I feel you. My last 2 NCOERs are garbage. I got a 4/4 two years ago and it had bullets like "Out performed every other soldier in DMA by winning 3 KLW awards." then "Failed to complete assignment on time." BAM! Needs improvement. "Shows great potential!" gives a 4. gently caress my old 1SG. Stupid oval office.

The latest was like a 3/2 or something. The bullets match the rating, but I feel like their expectations were too high. Especially since I was going through some issues and trauma and they weren't very helpful. Like, I went on 4 TDY assignments, two international, and got 3 awards from it. That doesn't read like a 3/2 soldier imo.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
man, in my experience, senior rater bullets are almost always 100% decided by a kneejerk reaction to how they feel about you "right now"

who cares what you did, what the regulation is, etc. He's a medboard, heh, 3/3 bitch.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

It might be a bad army class, but it shields you from your unit loving with you and that's the real reward of it all.

Truth

Naked Bear posted:

If you weren't peaced the gently caress out every day for your last six months or so, you probably done hosed up.

"What do you have going on this week?"
"ACAP."

I am the thrid person to get out of my small (7 people including CO and NCOIC) unit. One because of QRP, the other due to Medboard. They are wise to the game.

man, in my experience, senior rater bullets are almost always 100% decided by a kneejerk reaction to how they feel about you "right now"

who cares what you did, what the regulation is, etc. He's a medboard, heh, 3/3 bitch.

That was my 1SG's line of thinking. "Did he fail to complete that assignment? Yes? Then I'd say he needs to improve. Put Needs Improvement."

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

They're supposed to be about future potential.

I hope my senior rater says I'd serve the army best as a civilian in the future.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

They're supposed to be about future potential.

I hope my senior rater says I'd serve the army best as a civilian in the future.

I had a MAJ rate a CPT like that. It was after her 12th look at MAJ.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Soulex posted:

- Soldiers follow NCO out of sheer curiosity

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Soulex posted:

They didn't give her the boot after 2?

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
lol @ acap shielding you from shitheads and bullshit. I got hosed with relentlessly before I got out, especially about "give me your appointment slip and times, otherwise be at the company and do work gently caress you I'm a stupid retard human being who sucks green army dick all day long yummy yummy dick".

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Really depends on who your boss is and your unit I guess though. Mine was full of poo poo eating fuckers :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
my 1SG tried to get ACAP to make an exception for me to not have to do the 5 days and instead make recruiting cold calls. They told him no, fortunately.

• Locked thread