Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Notably, it does say "when a land goes to your yard from ANYWHERE", I could see it being fringe mcmagic-playable with the right support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeah, but nobody takes your pronouncements of whether things will ever be good 30 seconds after you see them seriously for an actual reason. Because you don't like anything fun. You just like generically good cards.

It would be fun with Loam in Standard. Thats something I would be interested in doing.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

mandatory lesbian posted:

why doesn't this just say "Permanent Card" instead of listing them out?

There must be a new permanent type coming and this would be too broken if it could find those, so the FFL nerfed this card.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

If I had this in play while loaming/molten vortexing :vince:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Could be a pretty fun commander, it goes off pretty hard with dredge and should give you a lot of cards regardless.

I disagree with the green vessel being bad by the way. It's 3 mana for a 2 mana effect but you can split up the cost and it can reasonably get to deliriim, or close to it, on its own.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Hey and we got Groundskeeper! Wombo-combooooo

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
vortex + frog sounds like a lot of fun too since you can have vortex already in play and play a mountain and activate the turn you play frog.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
My first brew of the new standard is going to be a Molten Vortex/Groundskeeper/Gitrog Frog deck just to spite mcmagic

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

why doesn't this just say "Permanent Card" instead of listing them out?

It's a contradiction in terms. If it's not on the battlefield, it's not a permanent.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Doesn't it mill your whole deck with Dakmor Salvage and a discard outlet? And draw cards too.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
I wrote a short thing about how cool vampires are over here and there are some preview cards and a preview page from the artbook for Shadows.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Doesn't it mill your whole deck with Dakmor Salvage and a discard outlet?

Honestly If you play it and dredge a GGT that turn I think you just mill your deck.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Just realized Froggy has the same mana cost and P/T as Spiritmonger and now I miss Spiritmonger :(

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

This guy will probably be my Pox, Death Cloud commander.

Serious

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I feel like there's actually a bad Legacy deck with that card where you Dredge a bunch, play Reanimate, crack a fetch then draw as many cards as you need to win off of a Lab Maniac.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Is Gitrog Monster in modern a conversation worth having? It's 5 mana but it could do stuff with fetches and dredge.

I mean, you have this guy out, instead of drawing for the turn dredge 3 for Life From the Loam, you get a draw again for each land that goes in the bin here, and each of those can be used to dredge again.

If there are good BG self-mill tools in the set, which would probably be common and also delirium enablers in a set like this, this guy might go somewhere.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mr. Toad goes in Jund.
Play with Magmatic Insight
Vaaaaluuuueeee

I'm labeling this as The Mythic I'm Going to Open Way Too Many of.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mcmagic posted:

Mind Rot is pretty bad in draft...

It can be good depending on the draft format. A powerful sideboard option at the very least.

Oh and the toad fuckin owns. I love the design, art, and stats.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Remember that the frog has the Sidisi style wording, where it only triggers once when you put a bunch of lands into your yard at once.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Kunzelman posted:

I wrote a short thing about how cool vampires are over here and there are some preview cards and a preview page from the artbook for Shadows.

I wanna open that Vampire rare every draft

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Entropic posted:

Remember that the frog has the Sidisi style wording, where it only triggers once when you put a bunch of lands into your yard at once.

thank mr dreamcrusher

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

C-Euro posted:

Just realized Froggy has the same mana cost and P/T as Spiritmonger and now I miss Spiritmonger :(

This was my first thought when I saw it. My second was "Oh it's from anywhere! That seems abusable."

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

This was my first thought when I saw it. My second was "Oh it's from anywhere! That seems abusable."

Seems like the perfect type of creature for EDH.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah, anytime I see "from anywhere" in a to-the-graveyard clause, I remind myself that that's very good and so much different than the regular version.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Count Bleck posted:

Have we seen this yet?

The only deck I could really see wanting this is Modern Dredgevine, which is barely even tier 2.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kraus posted:

It's a contradiction in terms. If it's not on the battlefield, it's not a permanent.

what i mean is, why is it not templated similarly to Creeping Renaissance

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=245198

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

GonSmithe posted:

I wanna open that Vampire rare every draft

It's an excellent Value Vampyre.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Gitrog :frog: doesn't Squander its Resources heh

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

what i mean is, why is it not templated similarly to Creeping Renaissance

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=245198

opens them up to creating a new permanent type down the road that isn't searchable with this, obviously

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

Yeah but those decks have better stuff to be doing.

Have you ever had fun playing magic?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jassi007 posted:

Have you ever had fun playing magic?

I only have fun when I win.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

MiddleEastBeast posted:

opens them up to creating a new permanent type down the road that isn't searchable with this, obviously

I guess that's true. I wonder what they could create, current permanent types seem to encompass so much

Related question, what Permanent Types exist now that didn't exist in Alpha? Is it just Planeswalker?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Plenty of stuff references "permanent cards" in zones other than the battlefield. Ugin's ultimate for example.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Kraus posted:

The same is true for the supertypes, which is why we have the "creature card" wording in the first place. "Permanent card" is perfectly normal wording used on 56 existing cards.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It may be that they want to spell it out on a common to make it clearer.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It may be that they want to spell it out on a common to make it clearer.

It's this

mcmagic posted:

Bad attitude, mister

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 23, 2016

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

Magic must be miserable for you a good bit. Nobody wins 'em all.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

btw according to the flavor article the gitrog is literally hypnotoad

which...doesn't come through in the card at all :I

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

btw according to the flavor article the gitrog is literally hypnotoad

which...doesn't come through in the card at all :I

We can't give not-blue Mind Control effects, that would be unfair to blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jassi007 posted:

Magic must be miserable for you a good bit. Nobody wins 'em all.

It is. Can't help it though. Personality defect.

• Locked thread