Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Goodpart posted:

I mean you've answered your own question. Never block what you can DP.

But let's say he does get in with an awkward crossup or whatever? Stomp is safe but the string you're talking about isn't a true blockstring. You can interrupt it.

Its not a true blockstring but pushing buttons will get you counterhit every time. st.mk cr.mp mk stomp cant be challenged with 3f jabs and he'll get a trade combo if you try to interrupt the stomp with it. The only ways ryu can challenge are with dp or parry, both very risky options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

bhsman posted:

There are a lot of fighting game terms that sound silly or dumb, not sure why this one is the back-breaker.

As a new player, my personal favourite nonsensical word is tk. Label every just off the ground aerial special move a tiger knee? Even for moves that aren't QCF and require an input motion that doesn't resemble the tiger knee command? Even though tiger knee hasn't even had the associated input since SF2? Sure, why not.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

bhsman posted:

Multiple big-name players have admitted it's a critical part of the game, tough poo poo? :shrug:

As is hitconfirming and whiff punishing but you don't see Reddit going wild about the HITCONFIRM META

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Arzachel posted:

As is hitconfirming and whiff punishing but you don't see Reddit going wild about the HITCONFIRM META

Hit confirms are a critical part of almost every fighting game, but the shimmy was devalued by FADC in SF4 and it's having a resurgence in SFV.

Stop getting mad at video games, basically (not you in particular, of course)

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

bhsman posted:

Hit confirms are a critical part of almost every fighting game, but the shimmy was devalued by FADC in SF4 and it's having a resurgence in SFV.

lmao

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

You did the exact thing we're making fun of,

you're that person.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I know a guy that shorted the shimmy market right before it devalued and he made a killing.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

In Training posted:

Smash players using the term Lag for frame data

This is way worse than shimmy. "Startup lag", "Ending Lag".

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Ventana posted:

This is way worse than shimmy. "Startup lag", "Ending Lag".

Shimmy isn't bad though. It's canon

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shimmy Lag

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
I like Shimmy it reminds me how loving slow this game is. Maybe if they make Turbo mode we can upgrade to a shuffle, or even a mosey.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Infiltration and Tokido both said the game is very fast. Also canon now

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The game is so fast that it appears slow, like when you look at hubcaps on the freeway and they look like they're going slowly backwards.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Infiltration and Tokido both said the game is very fast. Also canon now

It's fast when both players are constantly dashing which is pretty cool

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

You did the exact thing we're making fun of,

you're that person.

Play Tokido in a FT5 to determine Shimmy use rights

Otherwise quit being a baby about video games? :shrug:

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

what the hell are you even talking about

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

what the hell are you even talking about

We're talking about a good game here.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Worst word in SF has to be Meaty right? It's bad.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Jmcrofts posted:

It's kinda fun to say but isn't intuitive at all, yeah.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

attackmole posted:

As a new player, my personal favourite nonsensical word is tk. Label every just off the ground aerial special move a tiger knee? Even for moves that aren't QCF and require an input motion that doesn't resemble the tiger knee command? Even though tiger knee hasn't even had the associated input since SF2? Sure, why not.

If it makes you feel any better you can think of it as being an acronym for teikuu ("low altitude") which is the Japanese term for an air move done as low as possible :cool:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

I wouldn't worry about it. Trying to make things more accessible and in the end making them harder for everyone is the entire history of Capcom. Remember FADC?

I had to force myself to slow down qcf motions after walking forward because otherwise a dp would cone out even when ending the motion on up forward, not sure who thought that was a good idea.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

FUZZY GUARD

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jmcrofts posted:

I don't know what it means

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's when you distract the opponent with Zangief's muscles

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

The main thing is I just like making fun of people who make jargon-laden posts and actually have no idea what they're talking about so it just comes across as Fighting Game Terminology Word Salad. "FADC devalued the shimmy" gave me a good laugh.

The other thing is it's a new-ish term taken from an ironic thing (GOOTECKS SHIMMY) for a technique that's been around forever without needing a name. It's also not descriptive or intuitive at all, not that the majority of fighting game jargon is, so seeing that as a "defense" is funny.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Meta is the really upsetting part of that image

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
ugh

https://a.pomf.cat/pnfxxa.webm

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Meta is the really upsetting part of that image

Definitely. MOBA poison running deep

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

The main thing is I just like making fun of people who make jargon-laden posts and actually have no idea what they're talking about so it just comes across as Fighting Game Terminology Word Salad. "FADC devalued the shimmy" gave me a good laugh.

Fetishing jargon/word salad is my gimmick, though. :v: I'm just re-phrasing what guys like PR Balrog or LI Joe have mentioned during their streams and that was my view as well; you sure you aren't on the outside looking in here?

quote:

The other thing is it's a new-ish term taken from an ironic thing (GOOTECKS SHIMMY) for a technique that's been around forever without needing a name. It's also not descriptive or intuitive at all, not that the majority of fighting game jargon is, so seeing that as a "defense" is funny.

I know, because you and others have complained about it before, but that doesn't change the fact that people like using the term. It just comes across as 'Gamer is angry at new thing the evolution of language' than anything else.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 23, 2016

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

AnonSpore posted:

If it makes you feel any better you can think of it as being an acronym for teikuu ("low altitude") which is the Japanese term for an air move done as low as possible :cool:

My second least favourite word is "oki" because I hate seeing white people adopt pidgin Japanese for no reason :colbert:. But yeah, that at least makes a little more sense gameplay wise.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

attackmole posted:

My second least favourite word is "oki" because I hate seeing white people adopt pidgin Japanese for no reason :colbert:. But yeah, that at least makes a little more sense gameplay wise.

I think most people use it just cause it's quicker than saying "pressure on wakeup" everytime. Of course, the guys that say Okizeme kinda invalidates my point. But that's at least the reason I use it.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

bhsman posted:

I know, because you and others have complained about it before, but that doesn't change the fact that people like using the term. It just comes across as 'Gamer is angry at new thing the evolution of language' than anything else.

It's funny because people cling and inflate the meaning of random words to make themselves feel better about being bad at videogames. No one is going to take shimmy away from you.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

bhsman posted:

Stop getting mad at video games, basically (not you in particular, of course)

Please explain how FADC devalued the shimmy

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
English speaking FGC adopted Oki and Abare because they were useful terms for concepts that we didn't already have words for. Looks like maybe overseas FGCs might be doing that with Shimmy too!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
it all started when shim "four feet" butcher got in the scene. it's never been the same since, kid.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
last i heard they cemented his footsies and they dumped him in the spooky stream

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

https://a.pomf.cat/fucrut.webm

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the capcops had it in for him though. and when i look at the data? yeah, i think he was framed.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Arzachel posted:

It's funny because people cling and inflate the meaning of random words to make themselves feel better about being bad at videogames. No one is going to take shimmy away from you.

Not to bring up law school again, but this is ironically a big issue in legal practice because people spend years reading high-minded and technical language and forget to break it down into pieces that are easier to consume. My first year they even brought a professor in to give an hour long talk that could be boiled down to "Learn to talk like a human and not a robot." You can tell how well I took to it :ssh:

Here, it's the opposite problem: People are (almost organically) using a term in place of explaining a strategy or gimmick, which happens so often in fighting games with stuff like meaty, fuzzy guard, vortex, etc., but shimmy seems to derange people. Even meta isn't that offensive and it's been around longer.

interrodactyl posted:

Please explain how FADC devalued the shimmy

I'd have to dig for it but Alioune talked about it at length on Twitter once, though it was more a discussion about why FADC (and overreliance on it) made people bad at footsies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

If there are three things I unironically love in this life it's fighting games, language theory, and gifs of 1980s anime. This thread fuckin' delivers.

Thank you. Thank you all.