Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Rorac posted:

Crossposting, kind of, from a thread in D&D where the conversation a little while ago was on some raw milk law that I didn't give much of a gently caress about. Somebody mentioned HF and a link about what some incredibly stupid person did with it and uh :stare:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8420252

You ever read a sentence, and all the words individually make sense, but you have to go back and reread it because your brain violently rejects that exact arrangement of words? That happened when I read the title of that report.

At least if anything good came out of it, "hydrofluoric acid enema" sounds like a loving amazing name for a grindcore metal band.

This is where I got it from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Rorac posted:

Crossposting, kind of, from a thread in D&D where the conversation a little while ago was on some raw milk law that I didn't give much of a gently caress about. Somebody mentioned HF and a link about what some incredibly stupid person did with it and uh :stare:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8420252

You ever read a sentence, and all the words individually make sense, but you have to go back and reread it because your brain violently rejects that exact arrangement of words? That happened when I read the title of that report.

At least if anything good came out of it, "hydrofluoric acid enema" sounds like a loving amazing name for a grindcore metal band.

When will humans learn not to stick things up their butts that aren't meant to go there?

Not talking about sexy time stuff built with the express purpose of going up your rear end, I'm talking about homemade enemas and various random objects I've seen or read about people getting stuck all up in there.

Also, reading that abstract was horrifying on its own, no way I'm reading the actual paper. :gonk:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

The paper deals with the medical consequences of putting hydroflouric acid in your butt. Unfortunately, no detailing as to the reason why the dude decided to put it in his butt :saddowns:.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

A White Guy posted:

The paper deals with the medical consequences of putting hydroflouric acid in your butt. Unfortunately, no detailing as to the reason why the dude decided to put it in his butt :saddowns:.

He was high on cocaine

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

The Glumslinger posted:

He was high on cocaine

That doesnt seem like a very good justification. Dude was bonkers before the blow that's for sure.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Un chien andalou posted:

That doesnt seem like a very good justification. Dude was bonkers before the blow that's for sure.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug. Although you are probably right in that he likely wasn't 100% there in the first place.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I'm not sure if this is the same incident (has an HF enema happened more than once?!?) but I read about this happening - the guy wanted to kill himself and decided an HF enema was the perfect way to go about it.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Gobbeldygook posted:

You can still buy dilute (~1% or so) phenol solutions in drug stores in America for treating sore throats. What you do is spray it in your mouth, let it sit in your throat, then spit it out.

Never done that either. How is just spitting it out supposed to work when it's in your throat?

'Course, I used to be an embalmer, so I'm already doomed for anything phenol will do to you.

(Chloraseptic throat spray tastes like how I imagine licking a prep room floor tastes.)

PERMACAV 50 has a new favorite as of 07:18 on Mar 21, 2016

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Rorac posted:

Cocaine is a hell of a drug. Although you are probably right in that he likely wasn't 100% there in the first place.

"intranasal cocaine administration" 11 syllables

"hosed up on blow" 4 syllables

Overwrought medical terminology is trash, I know WHY they do it but sometimes it seems really dumb and excessive.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Minarchist posted:

"intranasal cocaine administration" 11 syllables

"hosed up on blow" 4 syllables

Overwrought medical terminology is trash, I know WHY they do it but sometimes it seems really dumb and excessive.

To be fair, the former specifies the method of loving up. Maybe if he'd shoved the cocaine up his rear end instead of his nose, an HF enema might not have seemed like such a good idea.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
The "Intranasal Cocaine Administration" sounds like a fun place to work

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Sex Hobbit posted:

Never done that either. How is just spitting it out supposed to work when it's in your throat?

'Course, I used to be an embalmer, so I'm already doomed for anything phenol will do to you.

(Chloraseptic throat spray tastes like how I imagine licking a prep room floor tastes.)

This bugged the poo poo out of me last time I went to buy this stuff. It all said to spit it out. I talked to the chain drugstore pharmacist? hopefully? about it and she thought it was weird too and said to go for it. Both of us agreed that we never once spit it out when using the stuff throughout our lives. Not dead yet!

The ones that do the same thing in lozenge form worked waaaay better anyway.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Code Jockey posted:

The "Intranasal Cocaine Administration" sounds like a fun place to work

Nah, it blows.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hremsfeld posted:

Nah, it blows.

I heard the staff were all pretty flaky.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Memento posted:

I heard the staff were all pretty flaky.

Better than being rocky, I suppose.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Icon Of Sin posted:

Better than being rocky, I suppose.
Yeah, but still not all it's cracked up to be.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

It's in a terrible place to work, they keep getting buried in snow.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

cannabis

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Well that was quite blunt.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

poo poo's crazy up in this joint.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I'm bowled over.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
weed innuendo with slightly explosive double entendre

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

SneakyFrog posted:

weed innuendo with slightly explosive double entendre

I think that one bombed.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It went up in smoke.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Eh, this whole thing had to burn out eventually.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

You made a hash out of it.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

This game is getting old, let's nip it in the bud before it goes to pot.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If you've ever wanted to know what methylated spirits tastes like, here's your chance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep2I3Gf3Sec

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Also a very good demonstration of what happens if you slosh Denatonium around in your mouth.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

KozmoNaut posted:

If you've ever wanted to know what methylated spirits tastes like, here's your chance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep2I3Gf3Sec

Wait, why would they use methanol as an additive? I thought it was tasteless, so you wouldn't notice it until your optic nerve's shot to hell.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Probably because they're worried hobos are desperate enough to drink denatonium, and think that they would care about methanol poisoning?

Keiya has a new favorite as of 05:09 on Mar 24, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

vOv posted:

Wait, why would they use methanol as an additive? I thought it was tasteless, so you wouldn't notice it until your optic nerve's shot to hell.

It's almost impossible to separate out effectively enough with home equipment, and back during Prohibition the government didn't give a gently caress about poisoning people.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

drgitlin posted:

Hey, I wrote that! :rms:

Neat! Bit surprising you've managed to use your real name here so long though.
think you'll convince ars to fly you out for latter tests?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Lone Badger posted:

It's almost impossible to separate out effectively enough with home equipment, and back during Prohibition the government didn't give a gently caress about poisoning people.
For an excellent discussion of this fact, see The Poisoner's Handbook, a history of the foundation and early years of the New York Medical Examiner's Office, the first employer of a full-time toxicologist. It has a lot to say about The Fed's insistence that illicit drinkers were lawbreakers, so it was their own fault if they died.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

MisterOblivious posted:

Neat! Bit surprising you've managed to use your real name here so long though.
think you'll convince ars to fly you out for latter tests?

To South Africa? I'd love to but I think it might be unlikely. :(

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

vOv posted:

Same reason we contaminate perfectly good pain meds with acetaminophen so that liver failure will be a deterrent to abuse: we're a bunch of Puritans who think that addicts need to be punished instead of treated.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
jamaica ginger was a ginger extract during the prohibition. it was ginger in ethanol.

the government mandated that it had to contain a certain amount of ginger solids, in order to render it undrinkable.

some clever bootleggers asked an MIT professor what they might use to make their product seem to have more solids in it when examined (so they could bypass the limits and sell to people who wanted booze). the MIT professor recommended a plasticizer, tri-o-tolyl phosphate.

the bootleggers did not mention that the extract was intended for human consumption.

TOCP is an organophosphate.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

atomicthumbs posted:

jamaica ginger was a ginger extract during the prohibition. it was ginger in ethanol.

the government mandated that it had to contain a certain amount of ginger solids, in order to render it undrinkable.

some clever bootleggers asked an MIT professor what they might use to make their product seem to have more solids in it when examined (so they could bypass the limits and sell to people who wanted booze). the MIT professor recommended a plasticizer, tri-o-tolyl phosphate.

the bootleggers did not mention that the extract was intended for human consumption.

TOCP is an organophosphate.

Is this related to how "Jamacian Style" Ginger Beer is horrible to drink?

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

Is this related to how "Jamacian Style" Ginger Beer is horrible to drink?

My guess is that it has some of the same production styles as Rhum Agricole (http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/what-is-rhum-agricole-martinique-spirit-best-brands.html) and thus has a 'vegetal, earthy' taste. This translates to a taste of soil or cow dung a little bit into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Cross-quoting from the Idiots in the Military thread: