Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Scyantific posted:

Well now, Snyder's going on the record saying that TFA had more collateral damage than MoS.

I'm not sure if he knows what collateral damage really means; the stuff that happened in Episode VII was intentional.

Snyder's quote doesn't say collateral damage, just "death toll" (unless you mean the author of the article)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Scyantific posted:

Well now, Snyder's going on the record saying that TFA had more collateral damage than MoS.

I'm not sure if he knows what collateral damage really means; the stuff that happened in Episode VII was intentional.

The damage from the world engine was intentional.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So what's his point?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
His point is that the bad guys killed billions of people in Star Wars and nobody got upset, so it is hypocritical to get mad that he decided the good guys should kill a few thousand people in his movie.

It is a bad point, but that is his point.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

His point is that the bad guys killed billions of people in Star Wars and nobody got upset, so it is hypocritical to get mad that he decided the good guys should kill a few thousand people in his movie.

It is a bad point, but that is his point.

Superman only kills one person

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ghosthotel posted:

Superman only kills one person

He was defending criticism that Batman shoots a rocket launcher at a helicopter full of security guards and kills criminals. Also, Superman apparently kills more people in BvS.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 24, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Scyantific posted:

Plotwise, the Star Wars baddies' targets were highly specific:

"This fierce machine which you have built, upon which we stand, will bring an end to the Senate! To their cherished fleet!"

The billions of other casualties were, in fact, 'collateral damage' with no real bearing on the plot.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Plotwise, the Star Wars baddies' targets were highly specific:

"This fierce machine which you have built, upon which we stand, will bring an end to the Senate! To their cherished fleet!"

The billions of other casualties were, in fact, 'collateral damage' with no real bearing on the plot.

I was going to point this out, but you beat me to it :argh:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He was defending criticism that Batman shoots a rocket launcher at a helicopter full of security guards and kills criminals. Also, Superman apparently kills more people in BvS.

Good. It's a loving comic book character.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You know who else kills people in their movies? Captain America, Iron Man, Falcon, Black Widow, Thor, Hawkeye, Nolan Batman, Burton Batman, Donner Superman (was changed when they switched directors), no one bats an eye.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

greatn posted:

You know who else kills people in their movies? Captain America, Iron Man, Falcon, Black Widow, Thor, Hawkeye, Nolan Batman, Burton Batman, Donner Superman (was changed when they switched directors), no one bats an eye.

Kill em in a greyscale blue suit everyone loses their MINDS.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I think the main point he's conveying is that no one actually cares about lethality and destruction in blockbuster films, they just want the filmmakers to let them know that they can feel good about it.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

computer parts posted:

What were your impressions of Man of Steel?

"Zzzzzz Zzzzzzz,... huh is it over yet?"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HorseRenoir posted:

I think the main point he's conveying is that no one actually cares about lethality and destruction in blockbuster films, they just want the filmmakers to let them know that they can feel good about it.

Many would prefer a movie to be 'awesome' in the "dude!" sense, as opposed to the original terrifying sense.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Then why was that bit about public approval in the movie?

Because the script is a loving mess.

quote:

Also, how is Stark's celebrity status irrelevant? The man lives and dies by how many friends he has on Facebook.

So the consequences for the world nearly ending is that Tony Stark has fewer Facebook friends. I'm so glad there was a two and a half hour, 300 million dollar movie with bucketloads of expensive fight scenes about this.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 23, 2016

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Vintersorg posted:

EPIC 36 HOUR MARATHON!!

QUIPS!

EDGE OF YOUR SEAT THRILLS!

I did the "All the movies!!!" marathon for AoU.
Never again.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Codependent Poster posted:

I like people saying this. So care to tell me which parts were his and which weren't?

He left before shooting even start right? So yeah, I imagine you can't really tell, it's not like Trank's Fantastic Four, where it's really easy to tell which scenes were reshoots because the studio didn't like what he made.
For what it's worth, Trank's FF is 2/3rds of a great sci-fi film, the ending is just garbage because feels like it came off the cutting room floor of the earlier FF films.

8one6 posted:

I did the "All the movies!!!" marathon for AoU.
Never again.

So did the goon that originated the "Night unbearable tension"
Though the never quoted, but more damning part of the post was "I can't wait for the next movies!"

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

wyoming posted:

Though the never quoted, but more damning part of the post was "I can't wait for the next movies!"

In all fairness he had clearly been driven mad by 24 hours worth of Marvel films.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

rakovsky maybe posted:

In all fairness he had clearly been driven mad by 24 hours worth of Marvel films.

The kind of person who willingly wants to watch 24 hours of marvel/any films is probably a bit touched before even starting.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

wyoming posted:

He left before shooting even start right? So yeah, I imagine you can't really tell, it's not like Trank's Fantastic Four, where it's really easy to tell which scenes were reshoots because the studio didn't like what he made.
For what it's worth, Trank's FF is 2/3rds of a great sci-fi film, the ending is just garbage because feels like it came off the cutting room floor of the earlier FF films.

He also helped with the script. Suitcase fight, running on a gun barrel, and toy railroad fights were all obviously his.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Some of those bits were also IIRC already done as test sequences before he left the project.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Not to mention that what makes Edgar Wright special is the execution, the countless little touches and the expert editing.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
The thing is Wright has a very distinct visual storytelling that wouldn't come through in just his writing, or at least not the same.

broken clock opsec posted:

Some of those bits were also IIRC already done as test sequences before he left the project.

Yeah, the running up the barrel of a gun was in that teaser/proof of concept thing shown when the movie was first announced.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-pFrplmexo

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Snowman_McK posted:

Not to mention that what makes Edgar Wright special is the execution, the countless little touches and the expert editing.

Hot Fuzz is still just amazing to watch over and over again, though to me much more so than Shaun of the Dead or World's End.

e: oops

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 24, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

broken clock opsec posted:

Hot Fuzz is still just amazing to watch over and over again, though to me much more so than Shaun of the Dead or End of the World.

the World's End is widely considered his weakest of the Conetto films but it is my absolute favorite.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rhyno posted:

the World's End is widely considered his weakest of the Conetto films but it is my absolute favorite.

It tackles the heaviest theme and so has the hardest job balancing humour and pathos. It's bloody brilliant.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snowman_McK posted:

It tackles the heaviest theme and so has the hardest job balancing humour and pathos. It's bloody brilliant.

My only real problem is it doesn't really stick the ending the way the other two do.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Snowman_McK posted:

Yeah, definitely. It's my favourite film of his as well.

Rhyno posted:

My only real problem is it doesn't really stick the ending the way the other two do.

I dunno, I feel it does far more than Shaun's ending. I need to rewatch Hot Fuzz, it's been awhile.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I saw Worlds End with a friend of mine who is essentially Sean Pegg's character, and my hand to God, he showed up to the theater in a Sisters Of Mercy shirt. It really made the whole experience so much better.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Hot Fuzz is three quarters of a brilliant film. The last few action scenes drag. They aren't quite good enough to be action scenes, but aren't quite funny enough to be comedy scenes. It's still good, but not nearly as densely packed as the rest of the movie.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Slugworth posted:

I saw Worlds End with a friend of mine who is essentially Sean Pegg's character, and my hand to God, he showed up to the theater in a Sisters Of Mercy shirt. It really made the whole experience so much better.

Which character are you?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

The last few action scenes drag. They aren't quite good enough to be action scenes, but aren't quite funny enough to be comedy scenes. It's still good, but not nearly as densely packed as the rest of the movie.

I disagree. The model town/Lethal Weapon/kaiju scene was fantastic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Slugworth posted:

A lot of my friends have said I have far too much in common with Gary King that I don't really see. I guess I have a pretty severe case of Peter Pan syndrome.

And I'm an alcoholic.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I disagree. The model town/Lethal Weapon/kaiju scene was fantastic.

That was great. The half a dozen faux Michael Bay/John Woo scenes leading up to it, less so.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Slugworth posted:

A very serious alcoholic friend of mine was begging my group of friends to sit down and watch this and when we finally did it was just a really uncomfortable like hour and a half of "hes literally gary king" looks being shared amongst everyone. Im half convinced it was a cry for help.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

edit: i am an idiot

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 24, 2016

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Shaun of the Dead has A weak rear end ending with the military showing up but it doesn't ruin a loving phenomenal movie. It just solves their problems all Deus ex Machina style.

The World's End is the most solid ending of the three with a giant 'gently caress you' to character development and reality and I love every drat second of it. Gary King grows just enough to burn it all out of spite instead of 'purely' selfish reasons.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well it's not like Gary knew telling the Network to gently caress off was going to destroy civilization.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mortanis posted:

Shaun of the Dead has A weak rear end ending with the military showing up but it doesn't ruin a loving phenomenal movie. It just solves their problems all Deus ex Machina style.

I loved this part of Shaun of the Dead. Finally a zombie movie where the army actually handles it completely fine. It was the perfect way to end a movie that was both an embrace and a parody of the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Chimin in with my Hot Fuzz avatar to agree that Edgar Wright owns. A lot of people get caught up on the nerd trappings in Scott Pilgrim but I like that movie just as much as the Cornettos for many of the same reasons (plus it's a comic movie so it's relevant to this thread!). Although the last few fights are rushed and weaker than the first few.

• Locked thread