Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I went down a deep, dark hole when I decided to reinstall Civ 4 to play the Master of Mana modmodmod, and while it is awesomely spergy, I kinda want to play something a bit more modern and streamlined. Does anyone have impressions of the Civ V Faerun mod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

toasterwarrior posted:

I went down a deep, dark hole when I decided to reinstall Civ 4 to play the Master of Mana modmodmod, and while it is awesomely spergy, I kinda want to play something a bit more modern and streamlined. Does anyone have impressions of the Civ V Faerun mod?

I haven't tried it in quite a while, but compared to Master of Mana (and the other FFH2 submods) it's awful. Much less ambitious, way less interesting and more of a reskin than anything else If you're looking for an experience different than regular Civ5, Faerun ain't it. But it is more modern and streamlined, so if that(and the fantasy setting) is enough, then it might be a good fit.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Cynic Jester posted:

I haven't tried it in quite a while, but compared to Master of Mana (and the other FFH2 submods) it's awful. Much less ambitious, way less interesting and more of a reskin than anything else If you're looking for an experience different than regular Civ5, Faerun ain't it. But it is more modern and streamlined, so if that(and the fantasy setting) is enough, then it might be a good fit.

That sounds rough, but in hindsight, not that damning considering how insane MoM is. I do like Civ5's core gameplay a lot, though, so I'll go ahead and give it a try.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
As I see it, it's harder to make total conversions mods in Civ5, but that's balanced by the ability to run mods alongside one another without having to make your own custom modpack like in Civ4.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Picked up the Community Balance patch through this thread's recommendation. I'm enjoying it a lot so far. Thing is, now that I have the Renaissance and am meeting other civs, I'm getting semi-frequent, non-reproducible CTDs after I hit end turn. Only other mods are infoaddict and more unit skins. Any one else run into this?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Smiling Knight posted:

Picked up the Community Balance patch through this thread's recommendation. I'm enjoying it a lot so far. Thing is, now that I have the Renaissance and am meeting other civs, I'm getting semi-frequent, non-reproducible CTDs after I hit end turn. Only other mods are infoaddict and more unit skins. Any one else run into this?

Turn on logging and post about it here.

My first thought would be to try disabling infoaddict and more unit skins, see if you still get the crashes, then turn those mods back on one at a time if you don't, hopefully you can narrow the problems down.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Here's how that city ended up:

It was pretty good imo.

If I were to do this over again (And I just might as an experiment) I'd put it on the tile northeast of that. The main reason I didn't do that was to give myself a little room to squeeze another city in, which I didn't end up having. IDK if it's always been at least 4 tiles between cities and I just forgot because I've been playing more Civ IV lately or if that's a CBP change.

This was my first game with the CBP as well. I didn't notice a huge difference to the point that I was worried I didn't install it properly before I remembered the UI is very different. from what I understand it's somewhat modular and I may need to do some stuff to activate most of it? I normally go with emperor so I played on Prince because CBP is supposed to be much tougher, but I think I undershot it by about two levels because it wasn't a challenge.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Here's how that city ended up:

It was pretty good imo.

If I were to do this over again (And I just might as an experiment) I'd put it on the tile northeast of that. The main reason I didn't do that was to give myself a little room to squeeze another city in, which I didn't end up having. IDK if it's always been at least 4 tiles between cities and I just forgot because I've been playing more Civ IV lately or if that's a CBP change.

This was my first game with the CBP as well. I didn't notice a huge difference to the point that I was worried I didn't install it properly before I remembered the UI is very different. from what I understand it's somewhat modular and I may need to do some stuff to activate most of it? I normally go with emperor so I played on Prince because CBP is supposed to be much tougher, but I think I undershot it by about two levels because it wasn't a challenge.

The 4 tile city settle is a CBP change for Large/Huge maps. Standard and below are the normal 3 tiles. It is a change I definitely didn't agree with, so I edited my files back to 3 tiles.

Sialia
Feb 12, 2016

Maguoob posted:

The 4 tile city settle is a CBP change for Large/Huge maps. Standard and below are the normal 3 tiles. It is a change I definitely didn't agree with, so I edited my files back to 3 tiles.

I was pretty unimpressed too, it makes small maps annoying.

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

I might be being dumb but I can't find a link anywhere to the "Goonpack" that's been mentioned?

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Nova88 posted:

I might be being dumb but I can't find a link anywhere to the "Goonpack" that's been mentioned?

It's a whole bunch of pages back.

JVNO posted:

Goonpack stuff in this post

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I can never decide which type of victory to go for. I'm pachacuti to finish off the 'win as XXX' cheevs, and he doesn't seem to be particulary good at one thing vs another.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

khy posted:

I can never decide which type of victory to go for. I'm pachacuti to finish off the 'win as XXX' cheevs, and he doesn't seem to be particulary good at one thing vs another.

Big Cities = Mega Culture.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Big cities generate a lot of beakers and Pachacuti generally gets a lot of production from his hills so science and military are strong routes as well.

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away

khy posted:

Zigzagzigal's guides on Steam are a godsend for this kind of thing.

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

JVNO posted:

Since he's using GoonPack, I can confirm it's CBP changing Caravels position in the tech tree.

Speaking of which I've had an exceptionally busy semester so I haven't been able to patch GoonPack like I wanted. The original post now contains a list of the documented problems so if anyone wants to continue work on GoonPack you can literally just haul the mods folder out of MP_ModPack, download the Multiplayer Mod Workaround and repack it with any fixes or changes you want. Just make sure to copy CP and CBP back into the mod pack post compile because they will no copy over with Multiplayer Mod workaround.

Aside from Buffalo tiles damaging all units most of the issues were extremely situational and minor, so I'll get around to it eventually.

I've been attempting to recompile the modpack with the latest versions of the mods within it, but I've been trying to use the EUI version of the CBP, however when I try to use MPMPM to compile it, I get texture loading errors. (unable to load texture xxx_diplomacy etc.)

I have a feeling it be because of these folders in the EUI version of the CBP modpack

They seem to contain a lot of EUI stuff, but because those folders aren't mods idk how I would load them into the modded game config to compile them into a modpack with MPMPM.

Any suggestions?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Look at this start. Look at this beautiful start. I'm gonna beeline straight for Petra and make this city a desert paradise. I can also grab Machu Pichu thanks to the mountains.

e: oh and Mt. Sinai is slightly to the east, and my first two city states are religious, because why not?

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 28, 2016

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Fister Roboto posted:

Look at this start. Look at this beautiful start. I'm gonna beeline straight for Petra and make this city a desert paradise. I can also grab Machu Pichu thanks to the mountains.

e: oh and Mt. Sinai is slightly to the east, and my first two city states are religious, because why not?

but for real though

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Ugh, that start is actually awful. No good food tiles in the first ring, no floodplains or grassland to farm, absolutely need Petra, but there's no good way to get their quickly.

I'd move 1SW, settle on that gold hill, and grow using the oasis.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Fister Roboto posted:

My first inclination is that that spawn is kinda bad because there are zero tiles that provide food and hammers aside from that one woods in the second ring. You can't even farm those hills because they've got luxes on them.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Also lots of lake and mountain tiles, for someone who is neither Aztec nor Inca.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Whether that's a good start depends entirely on if you can get Petra. If you're on a low enough difficulty level that it's attainable, you'll completely crush the AIs. If you don't get it, you lose.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

IMO go desert faith+holy warriors and then crank out that poo poo. A fun deviation from the standard stuff.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Not coastal while being that close to the sea really blows, no food ships.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Poil posted:

Not coastal while being that close to the sea really blows, no food ships.

Yeah, I always found it dumb that non-coastal cities with sea tiles can't build lighthouses and harbours.

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Managed to get an updated GoonPack finally working. Uses the 3/18 version of the CBP.

Edits made, replaced InfoAddict with Global Relations, since I find InfoAddict gives players too much info, and various of the extra civs have been removed, due to misplacing them when trying to get the modpack to work, or them causing issues during testing. A few were removed because my friends and I are intending to play with this pack and didn't want any civs with multiple leaders.

If I get the time for it I'll recompile the modpack with all the civs included that were in the original GoonPack but I've spent way too long staring at loading screens getting this to work to bother right now.

Shamelessly adapted the original GoonPack post below:

Download Links posted:
Civilization Goonpack CBP Edition

Decryption Key: !dvdAUf5CDNd7fXb36JmsvEaie0Gl-L5HoLJ4OC9qfxs

quote:

Mods Included:
Installation Instructions posted:
Remove old install! you cannot simply overwrite the old one!
You MUST own all Extra Civ and Wonder DLC- some of the mods in the pack modify or change these Civs, and will break if they are not installed

quote:

For Windows:
Download the version listed above
Unpack the contents of the modpack
Start the game and enjoy!

quote:

Features included:

New Game Features

Community Patch Project
Community Balance Patch, including:[list]
City-State diplomacy Mod
Civ IV Diplomatic Features
JDH Active AI
Corporations

And more!
Global Relations
Global - Commander Influence Borders (v 1)
Unit Path Viewer (v 10)
JFD's Cultural Diversity (Core) (v 2)
JFD's Cultural Diversity (Soundtrack) (v 1)

New Civs

Colonialist Legacies
Colonialist Legacies - Australia (v 3)
Colonialist Legacies - Afghanistan (v 3)
Colonialist Legacies - Canadian Dominion (v 1)
Colonialist Legacies - Kimberley Aboriginals (v 2)
Colonialist Legacies - Kulin (v 1)
Colonialist Legacies - Malaysia (v 1)
Colonialist Legacies - Mexican Republic (v 1)
Colonialist Legacies - Phillipine Republic (v 3)
Colonialist Legacies - The Blackfoot Confederacy (v 2)
Colonialist Legacies - The Boers (v 1)
Colonialist Legacies - Vietnam ft. Trung Sisters (v 1)

JFD Civs

JFD's The Anglo-Saxons (v 1)
JFD's The Commonwealth of Iceland (v 2)
JFD's The Confederation of Switzerland (v 5)
JFD's The Dominion of New Zealand (v 1)
JFD's The Khazar Khaganate (v 2)
JFD's The Kingdom of Armenia (v 3)
JFD's The Kingdom of Bavaria (v 2)
JFD's The Kingdom of Belgium (v 1)
JFD's The Kingdom of Bohemia (v 3)
JFD's The Kingdom of Hungary (v 8)
JFD's The Kingdom of Prussia (v 16)
JFD's The Kingdom of Scotland (v 2)

MC Civs
Nazca Civilization (v 3)
Oman Civilization (v 1)

Sukritract Civs
Sukritact's Burmese Civilization (v 2)
Sukritact's Chinookan Civilization (v 2)
Sukritact's Khmer Civilization (v 1)
Sukritact's Phoenician Civilization (v 2)
Sukritact's Sami Civilization (v 3)
Sukritact's Tuscan Civilization (v 4)

Tomatekh Civs
Benin (Brave New World) (v 43)
Harappa - Indus Valley (Brave New World) (v 35)
Mali (Brave New World) (v 50)
Sumer (BNW or GK) (v 56)
The Bantu (v 2)
The Garamantes (Brave New World) (v 58)
The Goths (BNW or GK) (v 66)
The Hittites (Brave New World) (v 64)
The Sioux (Brave New World) (v 19)
The Timurids (Brave New World) (v 59)
Tiwanaku Civilization (v 1)
Tupi Civilization Mod (v 1)

Nova69 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 28, 2016

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Gort posted:

Yeah, I always found it dumb that non-coastal cities with sea tiles can't build lighthouses and harbours.

Maybe Cic6 will have canals and/or Harbor improvements.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The canal mod is cool. -4 gpt for a sail able tile. Iirc, lets you send ships around too.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Hello all, I have a few questions:)

1) How does Boddica's Faith generating ability work? It says that for each unmodified Forest tile she gets +1 Faith and +2 if there are three or more near a city? However, even though I had 4 or five forest tiles near a city (not the Capital) I only ever obtain 1 Faith per turn. So either there must be something about a forest tile that would make it work or I must choose them somehow? There were ordinary Forest tile with no special resources, but now I don't know if that matters.

2) do AI players use/need gold to function? I'm trying to learn more than the basics on a Prince difficulty, jumping from Chieftain as I seem to have learnt all I could from that (mainly that AI is no threat and I can only lose by making very stupid mistakes amd that Barbarians are dangerous if there's no Civs to rein them in) and I have the strongest economy of all, with happy cities and a steady flow of Gold every turn, but ever so often an AI player will roll around asking for a Friendship request, I'll trade them money in a lump sum for money per turn, they'll turn around and ask for a loan, since now they have no money and the result is a little more advantageous to them, but not by much. Then the cycle continues and they are kept in a perpetual state of poverty. But does it really matter? During my last Chieftain game I amassed Barbarian camp units with Germans and went to an all-out war, had little to no money every turn (since there were so many units) and nothing really come from that - the game did warn me of a Gold loss, but there's no debt or anything, I just didn't have an income. So I doubt AI really needs money, either, but they clearly do care about it.And I can't even deny them outright, because I have seven Workers and two military units :v;

3) how useful is German ability to procure Barbarian troops on higher difficulty levels? The Barbarian self improve, so the units are up to date, mostly, and with Honour and a few upgrades no Barbarian camp is safe, and with safe scumming there's little risk of not getting the unit (also, it seems that what actually is added is the camp, so you can kill them with ranged attacks and then enter the camp and have a new unit). However, this relies on two variables:
- The camps, while not entirely randomly placed, have to appear where no on'e looking, so you have to go them and it might take a while
- New Barbarian units don't have Epos and Barracks upgrade and you don't know what you'l l get. No siege units, either.

With that in mind, I don't it's usable outside of a gimmick run and you simply must have Honor maxed in order to upgrade the units somewhat reliably. But you'd want that in case of a Warmonger playthrough anyway, I think.

Thanks in advance!

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I'm not really qualified to answer your other questions but Boudica's faith-from-forest trait only applies to forests directly adjacent to the city, iirc. If you have 1 or 2 adjacent forests, your city produces 1 extra faith, 3 or more and it produces 2 extra faith. It's designed to ensure you have first pick at a pantheon.

Hardcordion fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 29, 2016

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Christo posted:

I'm not really qualified to answer your other questions but Boudica's faith-from-forest trait only applies to forests directly adjacent to the city, iirc. If you have 1 or 2 adjacent forests, your city produces 1 extra faith, 3 or more and it produces 2 extra faith. It's designed to ensure you have first pick at a pantheon.

Oh, so I should've settled closer to the forest - I've gotten my Pantheon quickly enough even with +1 faith, though nowhere near first. Is there a reason to keep non-upgraded forest after that? The faith is nice, but it's + 12 at the absolute best, whereas Lumber mills provide more benefit overall.

Also, does the world actually grow larger with the "Map Size" option giving you more opponent? I don't really notice that much of a difference between small and large maps, the latter just mean that we are more crowded, the mini-map also doesn't seem to scroll any faster on a supposedly smaller map.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Szurumbur posted:

Oh, so I should've settled closer to the forest - I've gotten my Pantheon quickly enough even with +1 faith, though nowhere near first. Is there a reason to keep non-upgraded forest after that? The faith is nice, but it's + 12 at the absolute best, whereas Lumber mills provide more benefit overall.

Lumber mills still aren't great tiles. Generally it's not really much of a sacrifice to leave a couple of unimproved forests around and just use other tiles instead.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Szurumbur posted:

Also, does the world actually grow larger with the "Map Size" option giving you more opponent? I don't really notice that much of a difference between small and large maps, the latter just mean that we are more crowded, the mini-map also doesn't seem to scroll any faster on a supposedly smaller map.

It's actually still just +2 faith per city at best. The city generates either 1 or 2 extra faith depending how many forests surround it. Having a city completely surrounded by unimproved forests will still only net you 2 faith total.

Map size definitely increases the map area. Even though they add more civs and city states, You'll still have more empty space in a huge map compared to a standard one (and less on a tiny map).

EDIT: I found a table
Duel: 40 x 25 (2 players, 4 city-states, 2 natural wonders)
Tiny: 56 x 36 (4 players, 8 city-states, 3 natural wonders)
Small: 66 x 42 (6 players, 12 city-states, 3 natural wonders)
Standard: 80 x 52 (8 players, 16 city-states, 4 natural wonders)
Large: 104 x 64 (10 players, 20 city-states, 6 natural wonders)
Huge: 128 x 80 (12 players, 24 city-states, 7 natural wonders)

Hardcordion fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 29, 2016

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
I really do not like the new culture requirements for building wonders in CBP. Early culture was already pretty key and while wonders aren't needed to win, not being able to build them when you have the tech for them blows.With the ai in CBP cheating like a motherfucker on culture production as well, it is just sad times all around.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Cynic Jester posted:

With the ai in CBP cheating like a motherfucker on culture production as well, it is just sad times all around.

Got examples of this?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Gort posted:

Got examples of this?

i'm frequently being matched and outpaced in culture output even when I have some absurd starts for culture. We're talking popping a hut to grab tradition on turn 5 with a culture pantheon and an early religion to grab culture/2pop belief. Pretty much all of them match or exceed the rate at which I grab policies, and most of them are not going Tradition which is absurdly better at culture output than the other two options thanks to specialists and +2 culture from monuments later on. They don't seem to grab tiles faster than me, which makes me believe they have some sort of discount on policies or global culture production bonus. it can't be a production boost accounting for it because there isn't enough culture producing buildings available that early in the tech tree. Since the policy requirement went in, I can count on one hand the amount of times I've gotten Great Library/Oracle and they all involve playing Ethiopia&Poland.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Might be worth digging in the difficulty code for CBP - one of the stated aims was to reduce AI bonuses.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Gort posted:

Might be worth digging in the difficulty code for CBP - one of the stated aims was to reduce AI bonuses.

Pretty sure CBP still gives the AI a discount on costs for everything, but doesn't also give a production bonus on top of it like the vanilla game does. Here is a line from Immortal difficulty, so you can see that their buildings cost less than the players do.

code:
<AIBuildingCostPercent>70</AIBuildingCostPercent>

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I have a pretty good tablet and I've been wanting to experiment with streaming Civ5 to it through either Nvidia or Steam's streaming to play in bed, but I don't know if it's possible to stream it over and also use the touch interface. Can anyone point me to a good guide to doing it, if it's even possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

flatluigi posted:

I have a pretty good tablet and I've been wanting to experiment with streaming Civ5 to it through either Nvidia or Steam's streaming to play in bed, but I don't know if it's possible to stream it over and also use the touch interface. Can anyone point me to a good guide to doing it, if it's even possible?

There's probably a much better solution but you might try using Unified Remote app. It has a remote screen viewer that lets you click around and stuff. The framerate is pretty terrible and it'll eat up your battery but it works, at least.

• Locked thread