Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Jeepers Creepers reference confirmed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Olothreutes posted:

This would be metal as hell. Do it Wizards.

The best thing is that you don't have to actually bring back Yawgmoth, you can have a fake Yawgmoth puppet controlled by Elesh Norn or something and have interesting civil wars / political intrigue on the Phyrexian side, and you can make Urza broken and scattered and half mad from being stitched together from various Urza-influenced artifacts. Karn can play against Urzas madness and you can generate internal conflict there.

Lilliana is the one who suggests the Jacebomb because she doesn't want to get her hands dirty and risk herself in the coming war.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

sarmhan posted:

It also doesn't fit the other clues in the set. What do sea monsters, mutated humans with the 'Innsmouth look', and madness have to do with Emrakul? How or why would Emrakul be amplifying curses? Why is everything linked to the ocean?

The potential tonal dissonance combined with a lot of flavor text and art clues that point in a different direction convince me more than a vague message in flavor text.

I think they're just going for resonant eldritch horror rather than any singular Lovecraftian trope. Blue gets sea monsters, red get insanity, etc.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
The Emrakul thing would be more compelling if they'd given any of the Eldrazi titans a personality the first time around

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

dragon enthusiast posted:

I think they're just going for resonant eldritch horror rather than any singular Lovecraftian trope. Blue gets sea monsters, red get insanity, etc.

Also, indications seem to be that there's a sort of 'background horror level' on Innistrad that's always there waiting to come out as soon as Avacyn's control falters. :v: Last time it was because she got trapped in the Helvault, but it's not like the individual werewolves or mad scientists were part of a plot to imprison her. This could be similar-- there's the stuff that's Emrakul (or whatever it ends up being), and there's the stuff that's just Innistrad being Innistrad.

(I may be wrong on some or all of this because I'm just going by what I remember from the cards and other bits of lore, so maybe there's an UR or something that contradicts this.)

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

The best thing is that you don't have to actually bring back Yawgmoth, you can have a fake Yawgmoth puppet controlled by Elesh Norn or something and have interesting civil wars / political intrigue on the Phyrexian side, and you can make Urza broken and scattered and half mad from being stitched together from various Urza-influenced artifacts. Karn can play against Urzas madness and you can generate internal conflict there.

Lilliana is the one who suggests the Jacebomb because she doesn't want to get her hands dirty and risk herself in the coming war.

So Urza is unchanged? :v:

Really though, you could do a lot of neat things with this. Yawgmoth comes back, either for real or as a fake puppet and is told Urza has died and starts to take things over. The plane-eteers resurrect a pretty screwed up and broken version of Urza but don't tell him Yawg is back, just that phyrexia is an issue still. Then they get involved the the big fight, Urza sees Yawg, and they both go apeshit and now everyone is in danger because a pair of gods are just going at it full force. Now everyone has to stop them before they destroy everything.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The whole arc of Urza's rise and fall is the only time I've ever truly given a poo poo about the overarching plot of Magic. Granted I was in middle school, but if they want to hit my nostalgia nerve they'll bring it back. That's also why I'm so bummed I missed TSP block.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Sigma-X posted:

That raven guy who keeps cropping up the Liliana stories is likely someone from way back so they might actually be going for something like this at some point.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

suicidesteve posted:

Hot take: modern is a better format right now than it's been since before Pod was banned.

i havent paid attention to modern in a bit bc it seems like no one's playing it on the streams i watch

what makes you say this

(note i barely play magic anymore rip)

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Olothreutes posted:

So Urza is unchanged? :v:

Really though, you could do a lot of neat things with this. Yawgmoth comes back, either for real or as a fake puppet and is told Urza has died and starts to take things over. The plane-eteers resurrect a pretty screwed up and broken version of Urza but don't tell him Yawg is back, just that phyrexia is an issue still. Then they get involved the the big fight, Urza sees Yawg, and they both go apeshit and now everyone is in danger because a pair of gods are just going at it full force. Now everyone has to stop them before they destroy everything.
I think it'd be more interesting as urza is willing to sacrifice anything to finally destroy the phyrexians, and walkers like Gideon and Nissa are fully on board with that. But Urza stats taking it too far, and while Gideon and Nissa remain on his side, walkers like Chandra and Lilliana realize bringing Urza back was a huge mistake.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I would be surprised if Urza ever came back. Dude is like super dead. If we see him it will be in a weird supplemental set or something.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Death Bot posted:

i havent paid attention to modern in a bit bc it seems like no one's playing it on the streams i watch

what makes you say this

(note i barely play magic anymore rip)

Control is actually a deck right now

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Control is actually a deck right now

Not only that but the format has an incentive to interact for the first time in a long time. Sure that incentive is turn 2 Thought-Knot, but I'll take that over a format where the playable decks are Infect, Burn, Affinity, and Tron any day.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Anything relevant for pauper spoiled yet?

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

What if the Eldritch Moon is something entirely new? That's possible.
Dang, I recently tore myself away from magic, but this set looks rad as hell and I totally want to draft them zombies.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Panderfringe posted:

I think it'd be more interesting as urza is willing to sacrifice anything to finally destroy the phyrexians, and walkers like Gideon and Nissa are fully on board with that. But Urza stats taking it too far, and while Gideon and Nissa remain on his side, walkers like Chandra and Lilliana realize bringing Urza back was a huge mistake.

Planeswalkers: Civil War

The thing about the Urza/Weatherlight Saga that I like is that asides from the whole Hero's Journey thing it's pretty much the most uniquely Magic brand of fantasy. Especially now that Magic is trying to ape all things superheroes, I kinda miss that setting.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Drafting so many Uninvited Geists

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

field balm posted:

Anything relevant for pauper spoiled yet?

The sac-chantment cycle is at common and could see play, there's a 3/5 black arrogant wurm at common. Nothing else caught my eye right away.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Attorney at Funk posted:

The Emrakul thing would be more compelling if they'd given any of the Eldrazi titans a personality the first time around

The Eldrazi as they're created aren't really characters, though, they're more like a force of nature, and personifying them would, I think, decrease their interest as an antagonist.

Conversely, though, they make poo poo villains for multi-planar arcs because you can't develop them. The original Zendikar Gods / Eldrazi thing was about as close as you can get with that. Cthulu doesn't have a personality.

Panderfringe posted:

Yeah, this is what I want - Urza's expected endgame is Phyrexia destroyed, some vestige of life and some planes still intact. Urza's acceptable endgame is Phyrexia destroyed and no known planes or life intact (because he can assume that there is something safe that he just doesn't know about). To that effect, weaponizing entire planes (like Rath but instead of a transport it's just going to ram the other plane or drown it in lava or something) is completely fine and OK with him, and then you get to have philosophical differences on the team.

Writing an actually interesting and compelling conflict just requires you to pit two determined forces against each other wherein both sides are not unilaterally in agreement with the methodology of their leadership, be it for selfish reasons (Phyrexians would be great at this) or for philosophical / moral reasons (The Power Rangers got this on lock).

From there you just insert different settings and McGuffins that each side has to react to based upon their pre-determined characterization and honestly if you have diverse enough characters much of the actual conflict should write itself pretty much. Chandra totally thinks that drowning everything in Lava is cool, Gideon meets the indigneous peoples and objects, Urza demands victory at any cost, Superfriends have to figure out how to solve this under the duress of time as driven by Discovery/MacGuffin Shields/ Encroaching Forces / etc.

I'm with the other folks that the Weatherlight Saga is the pinnacle of magic story and writing for me (and also I'm bummed I missed TSP) and I recognize that some of that is due to the nostalgia effect (it was most of my highschool time) but I also think it's the one time they really made a diverse cast and had characters with story arcs. Nobody changes over the course of the plot - our entire plot consists pretty much of Boring People Fight This Block's Villain and Prevail. We have characters vanish after getting (B) added to their casting cost (Tezz, Garruk) but we don't see characters after they make a change.

I'm probably exaggerating some since I don't read the fiction any more whereas I used to read all the Weatherlight books, but like the entire plot of Mercadian Masques basically revolves around the joke character Squee suddenly becoming an important part of the crew because he's a goblin in a weird Jaynetown type scenario. Squee continues to consistently be who he is but he has that elevation and he has a joke execution of Ertai, who actually flipped properly (stuck around afterwards) in a way that was consistent with his character and not corrupted magic, but simply the pinnacle of Douchey Blue Mage - he got pissed when it wasn't all about him and sought more power and ran with the wrong crowd to do so.

And these characters had less card characterization than any of the loving planeswalkers do but all I know is that Gideon is JusticeBro, Jace is DoucheyBlueMage, Chandra lburns things, and Nissa is the nature mage. Two of those four aren't even personalities, they're jobs.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think even if Emrakul turns out to be behind everything we probably won't get a bunch of eldrazi spawn like in BFZ block. It will probably still be about People Going Mad which fits Innistrad well.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sigma-X posted:

I'm with the other folks that the Weatherlight Saga is the pinnacle of magic story and writing for me (and also I'm bummed I missed TSP) and I recognize that some of that is due to the nostalgia effect (it was most of my highschool time) but I also think it's the one time they really made a diverse cast and had characters with story arcs. Nobody changes over the course of the plot - our entire plot consists pretty much of Boring People Fight This Block's Villain and Prevail. We have characters vanish after getting (B) added to their casting cost (Tezz, Garruk) but we don't see characters after they make a change.
You forgot about Sarkhan, who got B added to his casting cost but then just straight up reverted to the way he was before any of that happened because "my dragons."

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
urza and yawgmoth are dead dead.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The Weatherlight Saga was pure garbage

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I'm cool with Urza coming back as Zordon; he's already a disembodied head.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/196-rarities-hachette-french-magic-encyclopedia-inserts-french-cards-index.html

my store has a bunch of the rat cards from this set. What's the story behind them?

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

PJOmega posted:

The sac-chantment cycle is at common and could see play, there's a 3/5 black arrogant wurm at common. Nothing else caught my eye right away.

Angelic Purge seems solid in the jeskai/boros kitty artifact deck thing, sac wellspring and remove whatever is annoying you.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

http://www.magiccorporation.com/gathering-news-view-951-wotc-magic-aux-editions-hachette.html

Hachette, a magazine, gave out cards with every issue, to build a total of 10 decks of 60 cards each, with 12 cards per issue of the magazine.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Sigma-X posted:

The Eldrazi as they're created aren't really characters, though, they're more like a force of nature, and personifying them would, I think, decrease their interest as an antagonist.

Conversely, though, they make poo poo villains for multi-planar arcs because you can't develop them. The original Zendikar Gods / Eldrazi thing was about as close as you can get with that. Cthulu doesn't have a personality.

Yeah, this is what I want - Urza's expected endgame is Phyrexia destroyed, some vestige of life and some planes still intact. Urza's acceptable endgame is Phyrexia destroyed and no known planes or life intact (because he can assume that there is something safe that he just doesn't know about). To that effect, weaponizing entire planes (like Rath but instead of a transport it's just going to ram the other plane or drown it in lava or something) is completely fine and OK with him, and then you get to have philosophical differences on the team.

Writing an actually interesting and compelling conflict just requires you to pit two determined forces against each other wherein both sides are not unilaterally in agreement with the methodology of their leadership, be it for selfish reasons (Phyrexians would be great at this) or for philosophical / moral reasons (The Power Rangers got this on lock).

From there you just insert different settings and McGuffins that each side has to react to based upon their pre-determined characterization and honestly if you have diverse enough characters much of the actual conflict should write itself pretty much. Chandra totally thinks that drowning everything in Lava is cool, Gideon meets the indigneous peoples and objects, Urza demands victory at any cost, Superfriends have to figure out how to solve this under the duress of time as driven by Discovery/MacGuffin Shields/ Encroaching Forces / etc.

I'm probably exaggerating some since I don't read the fiction any more whereas I used to read all the Weatherlight books, but like the entire plot of Mercadian Masques basically revolves around the joke character Squee suddenly becoming an important part of the crew because he's a goblin in a weird Jaynetown type scenario. Squee continues to consistently be who he is but he has that elevation and he has a joke execution of Ertai, who actually flipped properly (stuck around afterwards) in a way that was consistent with his character and not corrupted magic, but simply the pinnacle of Douchey Blue Mage - he got pissed when it wasn't all about him and sought more power and ran with the wrong crowd to do so.

And these characters had less card characterization than any of the loving planeswalkers do but all I know is that Gideon is JusticeBro, Jace is DoucheyBlueMage, Chandra lburns things, and Nissa is the nature mage. Two of those four aren't even personalities, they're jobs.

This is a Good Post

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Sigma-X posted:

Nobody changes over the course of the plot - our entire plot consists pretty much of Boring People Fight This Block's Villain and Prevail.

For a while it was Boring People Fight This Block's Villain and Lose, though that hasn't really happened since before original Innistrad.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Sigma-X posted:

When I say "personality" I mean, like, an aesthetic and memorable way of interacting with the world. All this "Emrakul warps biology" poo poo didn't come up on Zendikar. None of the titans' shticks were apparent in the first set they showed up in.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I'd have to review the distribution of relevant 4+ power guys again, but Smite the Monstrous + 1 mana to investigate is clearly fine in limited and whoever said straight up cantripping for the same cost wouldn't be good in limited is wrong.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Attorney at Funk posted:

When I say "personality" I mean, like, an aesthetic and memorable way of interacting with the world. All this "Emrakul warps biology" poo poo didn't come up on Zendikar. None of the titans' shticks were apparent in the first set they showed up in.

It's been a thing of Emrakul's ever since Zendikar.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If it's Emrakul (spoiler alert: It's Emrakul) it won't be confirmed until we're into Eldritch Moon spoilers.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I love it, but to me the flavour is reminiscent of a vampire. Traditionally they won't enter a home unless they've been invited once, but an invitation can never be revoked.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

bhsman posted:

It's been a thing of Emrakul's ever since Zendikar.

I'm sure they decided it way back when, but it wasn't part of the set at all.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
It's emrakul and I'm okay with that so long as it's not emrakul and the emrakul spawn

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
If Uninvited Geist wasn't a top-down design based on the pun, I will be quite sad.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

GeneX posted:

It's emrakul and I'm okay with that so long as it's not emrakul and the emrakul spawn

If it's Emrakul, then its "spawn" are probably going to be all the things that are being mutated by its presence.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

whydirt posted:

The Weatherlight Saga was pure garbage

I will kamikaze a goddamn flying ship into your face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

If it's Emrakul, then its "spawn" are probably going to be all the things that are being mutated by its presence.

that was actually how it was in ROE, all her spawn are bestial cause they're mutated wildlife

or at least, that's what i remember someone saying, who knows they might have been lying

• Locked thread