Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I love going through old threads where people are valuing new uniques. Especially when said unique is broken and eventually was nerfed and it's still incredible.

People still poo poo all over it.

A good example: Lightning Coil.
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Lightning_Coil

Used to be 40% phys as lightning. Now it's 30%.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/475284/page/74
^Lightning Coil is discovered in game.

JohnNamikaze, Valued Poster posted:

Having no res is a drawback, having res be negative is a massive drawback, and having to take 40% phy dmg as lit dmg is another drawback. I really cannot see any good stats out of it. Not OP, not UP, but a rock bottom item.
People who don't know how mitigation works

Gulruon, the guy who made lightning coil posted:

The downsides are big--and honestly, I am afraid they might not be big enough. Phys damage conversion only seems weak to those who don't understand how damage mitigation in POE works, especially on a chest with non-trivial quantities of life, armor, and evasion (not the amounts you would get on a good rare, but still non-trivial amounts).
As it turns out the downsides were too small :rip:

Redblade posted:

Then I really fail to see the point of the chest at all...

Your typical evasion or armor/evasion chest for end game will have around 1500 armor/evasion 90-109 life and have 1-3 resists between 20 and 45. This one has not only no resists at all but negative lightning resists less life and less armor/evasion...and on top of that makes you take physical damage as lightning.

All I can see are drawbacks for the only gain of 1-30 lightning damage, perhaps it's just me being a cynical bastard but somehow I doubt it.
More people who don't know how mitigation works

quote:

Well I'm glad it's not a typical overpowered unique with no drawbacks.
~lightning coil~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Is Flameblast expensive to run? It's one of those spells that looked neat but I've never really tried at all. It's mostly for crit/burn builds, isn't it?
Rodent's build above is what I'm running. The only thing in the build that costs more than 1alch is the Blood Dance boots.

Still catching up through Cruel now. I suspect the build really takes off once you get your second Ascendancy for the free proliferate effect.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

:toot: I solo'd the Merciless Lab last night, some of my friends are still dying trying to take on Cruel. :cool:

Time to save up a ton for a 6-link chest I guess. Being an Ice Crash duelist I'm liking the reverse knockback gloves with leap slam. Though I was very saddened to find out the unique armor flask's knockback isn't also reversed by the gloves.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I've always been interested in flame blast but usually just level with the skills I plan to use end game and that dragged. How late did either of you guys switch over?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Is Flameblast expensive to run? It's one of those spells that looked neat but I've never really tried at all. It's mostly for crit/burn builds, isn't it?

I'm undecided right now if I'm going to use a Tabula forever or buy a 5L Cloak of Flame or try to get a 6L Cloak of Flame. As far as I can tell, until I get to lvl 90, I need literally no other gear besides things with resists and life on them.

Oh right Rise of the Phoenix costs like 1c.

E: I've been flameblasting since I rushed Gravicius kill for the quest reward. There's no reason to use anything else. I put Firestorm in my Flameblast links since a 6L makes me not able to support it with Elreon jewelry + Doedre's Damning but never use Firestorm. I used Ice Nova and Spark to get to A3N but pretty much any spells are fine.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 23, 2016

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

moush posted:

Can't you overwrite prices on a global tab? I think that's what he means.

This. I hadn't setup a "big loving items" tab yet.

euphronius posted:

I sold a Tabula in like 4 minutes. The system works.

The currency trading system on poe.trade is amazing. No more trying to whore on trade chat or public parties to sell my fusing for exalted, just pop up a trade offer and it gets filled within an hour while I go do other poo poo.

There are some interesting multi-stage trading profits to be made as well.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

baram. posted:

I've always been interested in flame blast but usually just level with the skills I plan to use end game and that dragged. How late did either of you guys switch over?
I switched as soon as I hit 28, though I did have a Tabula and a couple Lifesprigs to help things along.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
Just got into this game. Can't believe how well made it is for being a free game. Really like how it draws a lot of inspiration from D2 but reworks all the stuff that made it tedious.

If I could get a guild invite, I would much appreciate it. IGN is AntF.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

AF posted:

Just got into this game. Can't believe how well made it is for being a free game. Really like how it draws a lot of inspiration from D2 but reworks all the stuff that made it tedious.
completely free and they dont even let you give them money for magic find boosters or other crap. the first night i played i was really hurting for portal scrolls and assumed they wanted me to buy them or something but was pleasantly surprised when i opened up the store to check it out (aside from the prices on those armor cosmetics).

diablo 3 is a good game now but it doesnt feel like d2 did. this one does. it is the diablo 2.5 i always wanted.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
Please send a guild invite my way too: IGN @treemaster

Thanks

panda clue
May 23, 2014
I've said many times that PoE is the natural progression of Diablo 2, and is more Diablo 3 than Diablo 3 will ever be. D3 can be fun for its own reasons, but it is definitely not the progressive step-up from D2 that fans were expecting. PoE fills that void perfectly.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The best thing about Chris playing last league is all of these QoL changes.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

theshim posted:

Still running this - I'd forgotten how ludicrous the clearspeed on Flameblast is while leveling :supaburn: - but have to ask: how do I not spatter myself horribly against ele reflect? Even the occasional rare showing up with it will do a massive chunk of damage back to me.

Rise of the phoenix is my reflect protection. A 10-stack flameblast on a rare hurts quite a bit but nowhere near enough to oneshot me. Use a ruby flask on top if you're uncomfortable. Other than that, you just have to be a bit mindful of not 10-stacking reflect-rares and you'll be entirely fine. And honestly, when you get to mapping almost everything except bosses should die in a lot less than 10 stacks.

If you didnt catch it, here's a video of me playing the build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEiUARPi5qs

E: If you want even more reflect protection, theres another two options open for you. First one is swapping out one of the curses for purity of fire. The second one is spending two points to get to elemental overload. This will remove your crit multi which will prevent you from splatting yourself to reflected crit.

TheRat fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 23, 2016

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Thank you Trees for loving with the redditor's currency tab optimisation posts.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Phobophilia posted:

Thank you Trees for loving with the redditor's currency tab optimisation posts.

you're welcome

if there is anything reddit likes more than bitching, it is bitching about reddit. the guy who posted the top comment in my thread is the real hero, though:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/4bo1b3/the_real_dream_currency_stash_tab_based_on_reddit/

panda clue fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 24, 2016

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

megalodong posted:

It's not really viable to just raise whatever as a spectre - some mobs are just better than others, be it because of their AI, their abilities, or just plain stats. Second, raise spectre doesn't ever really have generic links - if you're using flame sentinals, you'll be using fire pen, gmp, spell echo etc. If you're using dischargers, a different set, revenants, a different set again.
Once you get to a3m, your spectres shouldn't die too much unless you run into a perandus box full of spammy mobs.

Necro aegis with victario's charity is great, especially for srs since they're all clustered up together and within range of the charge granting effect. Guess it really depends what you mean by "something else"...

My button setup for my srs summoner is:
  • left click - move only
  • space bar - enfeeble (think this is middle mouse in the default options)
  • right click - srs
  • q - convocation
  • w - flame dash
  • e - flesh offering
  • r - auras/zombie/spectres/desecrate
  • t - stone golem

Wait -- you can remap mouse-clicks to keyboard buttons? How about hotbars (QWERT/12345)??

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah i think so

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Shinino Kage posted:

Wait -- you can remap mouse-clicks to keyboard buttons? How about hotbars (QWERT/12345)??

If you mean you can assign the top 3 buttons that default to lmouse, middle click and rmouse to keys instead, yeah. If you mean remapping in general so like you could hover over an item and hit F to do a left-click, no.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

My force-move command is bound to "W" so I assume you can bind it to other stuff.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

euphronius posted:

I sold a Tabula in like 4 minutes. The system works.

Agreed. I corrupted a tabula, got nothing on it, and put it up for 1c less than the lowest corrupted similar tabula, and sold it in under 5 minutes.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

megalodong posted:

If you mean you can assign the top 3 buttons that default to lmouse, middle click and rmouse to keys instead, yeah. If you mean remapping in general so like you could hover over an item and hit F to do a left-click, no.

drat. I was hoping I could remap the hot keys and potions. I have to shift my body to the left whenever I play the drat game.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Here's a little trick to expand the number of available buttons. Put your Summon Golem on your left click. It only gets summoned if you shift-Lclick; regular Lclicks just make you walk around.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Even better put your golem in a Cast When Damage Taken setup and don't ever cast it 😛

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I wish you could re map left click. I use w to walk and it's just an empty slot.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Rurutia posted:

I wish you could re map left click. I use w to walk and it's just an empty slot.

Auto hotkey can help you with this, and is not against the rules.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Mercrom posted:

This looks pretty dumb.

The real problem is elemental reflect. Physical reflect is really easy to deal with if you have armor and endurance charges.

When I crit with EQ the aftershock deals about 45k physical damage and 30k fire damage. I'm wearing Abyssus yet that fire damage does more to me when reflected.
Yeah no poo poo, it's an edgy build.

I think your maths is wrong there, for that to be true with 75% fire res, you'd need 84% phys mitigation (30k*25% = 7.5k, 45k*140%/7.5k = 84%) which seems unlikely.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

I won't hear any bad talk about Cleave. Demon Hand Cleave happens to be the best MTX.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

bakka bakka posted:

I won't hear any bad talk about Cleave. Demon Hand Cleave happens to be the best MTX.

sawblade cyclone p. good

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I think your maths is wrong there, for that to be true with 75% fire res, you'd need 84% phys mitigation (30k*25% = 7.5k, 45k*140%/7.5k = 84%) which seems unlikely.
Crit earthquake with Abyssus is the worst case scenario for physical reflect but it can still be managed better than elemental reflect. I have 40k armor which is a 40% reduction against a 6k hit/reflection. With 8 endurance charges that becomes 72%. With a basalt flask it is capped at 90%. As a bonus I use a Rumi's which means I have almost 60k armor and a 48% chance to block my own attacks.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Mortimer posted:

I love going through old threads where people are valuing new uniques. Especially when said unique is broken and eventually was nerfed and it's still incredible.

People still poo poo all over it.

A good example: Lightning Coil.
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Lightning_Coil

Used to be 40% phys as lightning. Now it's 30%.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/475284/page/74
^Lightning Coil is discovered in game.

People who don't know how mitigation works

As it turns out the downsides were too small :rip:

More people who don't know how mitigation works

~lightning coil~

I still don't understand how lightning coil works. I've never looked at any builds that use one either. Can someone short version it?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Gibbo posted:

I still don't understand how lightning coil works. I've never looked at any builds that use one either. Can someone short version it?

Any build can use it, which is why Mortimer is making fun of those nerds.
Lightning coil's huge negative lightning resistance mod means you need good resists on your other gear though; if you add in any other resistless uniques you need top notch resists on your remaining gear. The benefit of Lightning Coil is that the physical damage taken as ~lightning~ is reduced by your lightning resist, and applies before armor. In effect, you get 22.5% less physical damage taken (5 endurance charges is 20%, for reference), with the only downside of that being that critical hits can shock you.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

It's not a 'this build uses it' thing as much as a 'it sends some physical damage you take through your lightning res to be reduced by a further 75%' thing.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And then you bring a topaz of grounding to reduce that even further and avoid shock.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I finally hit 11 endurance charges. Endurance charges are great.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

First ever non tabula 6 link I have ever found. Put about 200 alts into it never saw +2 fire gems so I stopped on +1 all.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Anything that subtracts a percent from something is going to be mathematically stronger the more you stack it. This is why max resists, max block, %phys mitigation, (and reduced duration) are such powerful mechanics.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Bugsy posted:

First ever non tabula 6 link I have ever found. Put about 200 alts into it never saw +2 fire gems so I stopped on +1 all.

Sounds like bad luck, or your staff is below the +2 fire gems ilevel threshold. If it is, you're poo poo out of luck, sell it for below the lowest price 6 link staff, let some poor bugger claim it for himself. If they ask if it is high enough for +2 gems, lie.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Phobophilia posted:

Sounds like bad luck, or your staff is below the +2 fire gems ilevel threshold. If it is, you're poo poo out of luck, sell it for below the lowest price 6 link staff, let some poor bugger claim it for himself. If they ask if it is high enough for +2 gems, lie.

Got +2 cold twice, and +2 lightning once so just unlucky. Its item level 63.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Isn't there a deterministic way to craft a +3 fire staff with 2-3 ex? Might be worth it for something already 6-linked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

Mince Pieface posted:

Isn't there a deterministic way to craft a +3 fire staff with 2-3 ex? Might be worth it for something already 6-linked.

It costs ~8 ex and requires 4 max level masters (elreon, haku, catarina, and vagan) but here's the method - from reddit

Alteration orb until you get single prefix +2 fire gems.
Regal for suffix (repeat until suffix)
2 Ex for Elreon's can have multiple crafted mods Suffix
5 alterations for +Max mana Prefix
2 Ex for prefixes cannot be changed Suffix (Haku)
Scour Ending up with +2 Fire gems and +max mana rare staff
2 Ex for Elreon's can have multiple crafted mods Suffix
5 Blessed orbs Vagan Cannot roll Caster Mods
1 Ex for Catarina's Cannot roll Attack Mods
5 alts for +Max mana
1 Ex Exalt for paragon +1 gems
Remove mods now you have +3 rare staff
Total cost ~8ex, this costs 4ex more than the regal to get +2 fire gems method, but it is guaranteed. The regal method works best with a ilvl 55 staff, anything higher makes the chances go down with more potential mods.

source: https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/3ocl5p/crafting_a_3_fire_staff_with_regals_is_there_a/

edit: missed Haku's master mod requirement

climboutonalimb fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 24, 2016

• Locked thread