Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Get mom's box use is until the missing poster spawns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Use cheatengine.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

dis astranagant posted:

They changed the unlock condition ages ago. Just kill yourself in a sacrifice room when you find the missing poster.

I did not know this. I might actually bother now.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Andrast posted:

Use cheatengine.

This. gently caress all the grinding and luck based unlocks, just loving unlock the lost with cheatengine.

And then never use him.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The lost is actually a good fun character if you unlock the holy mantle for him. Easily better than Lazarus, Maggy, the Keeper, ???, Lilith, and Cain.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The Lost is definitely one of the best and most fun characters in the game.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I always thought Lost would be a more interesting character if, instead of the Holy Mantle or 1-hit-kills, it started with 12 "ghost hearts" that can never be replenished or replaced by any method at all. So you can still take hits, can use them to pay for devil deals, but you can't pick up red hearts, health upgrades, or spirit/demon hearts.
The challenge now being to get through the game taking less than 24 hits (fewer if going to womb and below) and kind of gambling on what you can afford to spend on devil deals. It also lets you soak up some of those bullshit unavoidable damage situations.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
Yeah I thought people were exaggerating when they said the holy mantle made lost a fun character, but then the very first run I did after unlocking it for him I beat Hush. It really allows you to play a lot more aggressively and take more risks, until you get that first hit. Safe entry into spike rooms is also a bonus.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Oberleutnant posted:

I always thought Lost would be a more interesting character if, instead of the Holy Mantle or 1-hit-kills, it started with 12 "ghost hearts" that can never be replenished or replaced by any method at all. So you can still take hits, can use them to pay for devil deals, but you can't pick up red hearts, health upgrades, or spirit/demon hearts.
The challenge now being to get through the game taking less than 24 hits (fewer if going to womb and below) and kind of gambling on what you can afford to spend on devil deals. It also lets you soak up some of those bullshit unavoidable damage situations.

Disagree, part of the fun of the Lost as it stands is that you can be infinitely more aggressive (due to the Holy Mantle), and also reliably get Devil Deals - both the room and the items themselves.

Your change would completely get rid of those bits of the Lost (ie, the fun bits) in return for even more risk avoidance and even greater selectivity about devil deals. Anything that discourages you from trying something out is a bad change imo.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I just feel like if I want to play a super overpowered run I can just start as Isaac, Judas, or Azazel. I like to play something more dicey sometimes, but Lost with Holy Mantle feels almost too easy.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The Holy Mantle counts for a lot, but I wouldn't call it a guaranteed win by any means. If you get unlucky with DPS upgrades throughout the run, the later bosses and rooms can easily take long enough that getting hit twice is a real possibility. The Lost is still a much riskier character than most, it's just that now he's actually risky in a fun way because you no longer die when Daddy Longlegs randomly decides to stomp on you.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

The lost is actually a good fun character if you unlock the holy mantle for him. Easily better than Lazarus, Maggy, the Keeper, ???, Lilith, and Cain.

Cain's fine. Not overpowered like Isaac, not underpowered like Maggie.

Lilith's only drawbacks are the fickleness of familiars and the fact that you will never ever give up the Box of Friends. Anything that gives her a friend, boosts her killing speed, or improves the Box of Friends gives her way more power than anyone else.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Lilith in Greed mode is loving ridiculous

Especially if you get like a 9 volt or a habit or something
Trail of 30 familiars and poo poo

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm a spaz so I still rate Cain and Lilith above The Lost.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Oberleutnant posted:

12 "ghost hearts" that can never be replenished or replaced by any method at all. So you can still take hits, can use them to pay for devil deals, but you can't pick up red hearts, health upgrades, or spirit/demon hearts.

This is a great idea for a character in Afterbirth+.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Cain with the paper clip is really great. A good addition to an okay character that really makes him come in to his own a bit more than being "Just Isaac" with an altered fire pattern and slightly more luck. The reduced reliance on early game keys and the possible snowball effect it provides is nice.

That said, I think it was really dumb to gate character rebalances behind a game mode instead of just making them have those new starting items from the get go.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 24, 2016

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I've been trying to use the Character Editor to give everyone Eden's Blessing but when I try to export the players.xml file it throws up an error that the folder can't be found. When I try to import the players.xml file it similarly can't find it. I don't have Steam installed on my C: drive but I did point the utility at the correct path.

So I said screw it and decided to just edit the file myself but The Keeper doesn't appear to be in players.xml.

So is he tucked away somewhere else? Or does anyone else know how to get the Editor working in this situation? Or even just pointing me to a modified players.xml to download would be fine.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't think I ever noticed you can't outrun super troll bombs as Isaac at normal speed before.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

I think they shortened the delay, because Edmund hates fun. I remember being able to get away but now I dunno. I haven't picked up the game in awhile so maybe they upped the super troll bomb speed?

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Speaking of hating fun, any news on the PS4 port of the expansion?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jibo posted:

I've been trying to use the Character Editor to give everyone Eden's Blessing

https://moddingofisaac.com/mod/839/edens-blessing-afterbirth

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't think I ever noticed you can't outrun super troll bombs as Isaac at normal speed before.

You can shoot super troll bombs to hold them off until they explode, assuming you don't have piercing tears.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

IMJack posted:

You can shoot super troll bombs to hold them off until they explode, assuming you don't have piercing tears.

That's good to know for later, I'm usually too busy scrambling away. :v:

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I always thought the troll bomb timer was somewhat randomized bevause i normally shoot them to push them back but sometimes if i have piercing shots they'll follow me all the way across the goddamn room

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bassguitarhero posted:

I always thought the troll bomb timer was somewhat randomized bevause i normally shoot them to push them back but sometimes if i have piercing shots they'll follow me all the way across the goddamn room

It is randomized.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Yesss... Thank you. My google is apparently weak because I tried finding just a mod first.

E: I know this is not the thread for it exactly but Enter the Gungeon is up for pre purchase and finally has a launch date, April 5th.

Enter the Gungeon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSpo2VvN0SM

Jibo fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 25, 2016

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.
I got a prerelease copy of gungeon because i'm such an isaac celebrity. it's fun. i like the rolling.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Hyphen-ated posted:

I got a prerelease copy of gungeon because i'm such an isaac celebrity. it's fun. i like the rolling.

Really? I have had that on my wish list for a long time now. Reminds me more of Nuclear Throne than BoI, though. Is that the case? Or does it have a lot in common with both?

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Night Danger Moose posted:

Speaking of hating fun, any news on the PS4 port of the expansion?

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/707027742471036928

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/707028110932201472

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/712476666551865346

You'd think he'd know

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Really? I have had that on my wish list for a long time now. Reminds me more of Nuclear Throne than BoI, though. Is that the case? Or does it have a lot in common with both?

It has a lot in common with both, but it's closer to throne. It's a huge thing to aim wherever you want with the mouse instead of just U/D/L/R. Also picking up weapons is more like throne than isaac. There are passive items you can find, but so far they're all very weak compared to even the "just okay" tier of item strength in isaac.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Guw posted:

You'd think he'd know

With the way updates work on consoles he submits it and then they test it before applying it; He wouldn't really have any idea when it was going to hit after submitting it unless he knows a dude at Sony (he definitely doesn't)

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Hyphen-ated posted:

It has a lot in common with both, but it's closer to throne. It's a huge thing to aim wherever you want with the mouse instead of just U/D/L/R. Also picking up weapons is more like throne than isaac. There are passive items you can find, but so far they're all very weak compared to even the "just okay" tier of item strength in isaac.

That's kind of a bummer that it's not so Isaac-like in that regard but the game still looks pretty fun. I've also had it on my wishlist forever and I don't regret preordering it right when it hit.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Grapplejack posted:

With the way updates work on consoles he submits it and then they test it before applying it; He wouldn't really have any idea when it was going to hit after submitting it unless he knows a dude at Sony (he definitely doesn't)

Yeah, but its DLC as well as an update (although I'm not sure what, if anything, gets updated if you dont buy it) and most developers seem to know when their DLC will be released with a slightly better level of precision than "Maybe next month I guess? Lol, I dunno!".

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

SiKboy posted:

Yeah, but its DLC as well as an update (although I'm not sure what, if anything, gets updated if you dont buy it) and most developers seem to know when their DLC will be released with a slightly better level of precision than "Maybe next month I guess? Lol, I dunno!".

Most developers don't just release it as soon as it's done

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Most developers aren't Nicalis. Since they aren't developers!

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm guessing my choice to avoid Epic Fetus in todays challenge paid off since I ended up in the top 200 for both time and score.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
By the way, don't kill yourself with the missing poster on the way out of a Curse Room. You might think that you'll respawn as the Lost with Holy Mantle, like i did.

You won't.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
The Lost would start a new game with the Holy Mantle, it isn't an intrinsic they would get if you died and came back with the Missing Poster.

My dumbest YASD recently was devil-dealing my last heart away when I had an Eternal Heart, thinking that would keep me alive.

Need No Instruction
Jul 23, 2007
To Know How To Rock
So after accumulating a -32 streak, I just now got my first win ever.

This game is pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Need No Instruction posted:

So after accumulating a -32 streak, I just now got my first win ever.

This game is pretty awesome.

Actual win or beating Mom? :v: